August US Tour 2023 with Sevendust and Mammoth WVH Opening

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: August US Tour 2023 with Sevendust and Mammoth WVH Opening

Post by abw1987 »

Thanks for making this thread, Kev!

Was about to post my thoughts about last night's show in Asbury Park here, but figured I'd throw it over in Concert Reviews: http://thealterbridgenation.com/forums/ ... =10&t=6129

Seems like the tour is off to a solid start. With any luck I may be able to make Saturday's show in Grantville as well.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ By any chance, they did have any new merch up? I'm hoping that tour poster for this tour with the crow and the chess pieces is in shirt form. That one I would gladly buy since I'm not a huge fan of the Pawns & Kings shirts thus far.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Ah, I should've grabbed a pic of the merch booth! I don't recall seeing that design though. Saw some familiar ones from the last leg, presumably updated with new dates on the back.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I JUST SAW FABLE 🤯

More thoughts on last night's show to follow...

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Saw a video of Fable. Sounded amazing, but holy shit, what the hell was wrong with the crowd? Is that normal for gigs in the US or was this an exception? It was COMPLETELY dead.

Really hope that they won't drop Fable like they did with Show Me A Sign because of lackluster reactions, I want them to play the song when they're in Europe next time.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Blackbird wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:47 pm Saw a video of Fable. Sounded amazing, but holy shit, what the hell was wrong with the crowd? Is that normal for gigs in the US or was this an exception? It was COMPLETELY dead.

Really hope that they won't drop Fable like they did with Show Me A Sign because of lackluster reactions, I want them to play the song when they're in Europe next time.
They won't be in Europe until at least 2025, at which point they likely won't be playing much of anything from Pawns & Kings anymore.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's the B Market tour and West Virginia rarely gets concerts so I would think this case is an exception. I liked the crowds in Anaheim and Highland. I remember about an hour after the show is over where the merch line was long and the line to get out of the parking lot was long, there was a car a couple of spots in front of me just blasting really loudly AB songs on a playlist. What was played was This Side of Fate, One Day Remains, Broken Wings.

I will say that the best crowd I've seen in the 3 times I've seen them in North America, this year, was in Toronto. Canada rarely gets a chance to see AB for whatever logistical reasons, but when they get a show in a city like Toronto, you can hear the enthusiasm shine. Like when Myles greeted the crowd and he heard a good reception, he said something like, "You must have mistaken us for a different band based on how loud this crowd is," and the crowd immediately when into an Alter Bridge chant. Canada do need more AB shows. Like if they do a show in Vancouver on a weekend, I'm flying there and making a weekend trip there, but I'm sure there's some logistics that prevents them from doing more shows there (doesn't help that the CAD value is low in comparison to the USD).

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Re: AB Hates Canadians

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

anguyen92 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 1:26 pmCanada rarely gets a chance to see AB for whatever logistical reasons.....but I'm sure there's some logistics that prevents them from doing more shows there.
They're probably just avoiding me after that Seattle 2020 show. I scared them away from all of Canada.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

I recall in a WTS interview Mark said they wanted to do a proper Canadian tour, depending on the time of year I'd see multiple shows. I could imagine a AB, Halestorm and Wolfie doing a tour together.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

The Dissident wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 pm I recall in a WTS interview Mark said they wanted to do a proper Canadian tour, depending on the time of year I'd see multiple shows. I could imagine a AB, Halestorm and Wolfie doing a tour together.
If you're talking about a Canadian tour later this year, Halestorm is in Europe in November and December, and Mammoth WVH is on a headlining tour through the US. Too bad because I think that lineup is one of the best I've ever seen.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

maximzub wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:10 pm
The Dissident wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 pm I recall in a WTS interview Mark said they wanted to do a proper Canadian tour, depending on the time of year I'd see multiple shows. I could imagine a AB, Halestorm and Wolfie doing a tour together.
If you're talking about a Canadian tour later this year, Halestorm is in Europe in November and December, and Mammoth WVH is on a headlining tour through the US. Too bad because I think that lineup is one of the best I've ever seen.
It was an idealized hypothetical package. Nothing time specific.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

In case you can't get to the shows this time around...

Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I caved. I got the VIP upgrade for the Grand Rapids show. I figured after they played Fable of the Silent Son four shows in a row, it should be here to stay for the rest of the tour. Might as well be in a rail spot for that for what could be the final AB show I may see in two or so years.

I really wish Mammoth WVH would be on that Grand Rapids show, but they will be in Inglewood opening for Metallica (which is a bummer that the LA part of Metallica's tour is the same weekend I'm out of town since I don't know when's the next time they will be in the LA area).

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Someday I might get the VIP package for Alter Bridge or another of my favorite bands....
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

abw1987 wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 6:52 am I JUST SAW FABLE 🤯

More thoughts on last night's show to follow...
As promised, added my review here (repurposed my original thread to encompass both dates I attended, given it's a lower-traffic subforum).

Also included a video of the "Fable" performance which the guy in front of me was kind enough to send me and agreed to let me upload to YouTube. Check it out here for convenience:

Blackbird wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:47 pm Saw a video of Fable. Sounded amazing, but holy shit, what the hell was wrong with the crowd? Is that normal for gigs in the US or was this an exception? It was COMPLETELY dead.

Unfortunately yes – especially for more obscure songs like "Fable". Depends somewhat on the market, but I don't often find a sense of palpable excitement and passion at US concerts. The Orlando shows I've seen have been the exception, as those have typically been attended by hardcore fans traveling in from all over (e.g., the first show of the Fortress run that a lot of us TABN admins attended, and of course all the listening party concerts). The crowds in Boston, New York, and Philly can be decent, and I've heard the same about Atlanta and Houston. But for a deep cut at a seated show in rural Pennsylvania, this crowd reaction was not unexpected. For that reason, I think you can rest assured the band will not be making European setlist decisions based on US audience reactions :lol. Having attended two concerts in Europe myself, I can say those shows are on a different level.

As for why this is, it's difficult to say. Part of it could be that their US fanbase trends a bit older. There are certainly plenty of younger fans, but I see people in their 60s at these shows as well. Many US fans started following these guys during the Creed days, whereas more of their international fans started with AB; making their overseas audience a bit younger on average. It could also be cultural – perhaps it's the mild machismo that's still present in our society (although that's not necessarily unique to the US), or the focus on individuality compared to other countries' more communal cultures, both of which make Americans feel slightly embarrassed by "letting go" and displaying that they're having a good time. It could also be just the kind of band Alter Bridge are: they're much more focused on the music than on being entertainers; and Europeans may appreciate that more than Americans. Many times over the years I've lamented how tame the audiences are when seeing bands like Guns N' Roses and Slash (although the latter of course shares the same singer and music-over-entertainment approach). Whereas newer bands like the Struts do actually get the crowd fired up – and notably they have a much younger audience and much more energetic frontman.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

abw1987 wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 8:13 pm [As for why this is, it's difficult to say. Part of it could be that their US fanbase trends a bit older. There are certainly plenty of younger fans, but I see people in their 60s at these shows as well. Many US fans started following these guys during the Creed days, whereas more of their international fans started with AB; making their overseas audience a bit younger on average. It could also be cultural – perhaps it's the mild machismo that's still present in our society (although that's not necessarily unique to the US), or the focus on individuality compared to other countries' more communal cultures, both of which make Americans feel slightly embarrassed by "letting go" and displaying that they're having a good time. It could also be just the kind of band Alter Bridge are: they're much more focused on the music than on being entertainers; and Europeans may appreciate that more than Americans. Many times over the years I've lamented how tame the audiences are when seeing bands like Guns N' Roses and Slash (although the latter of course shares the same singer and music-over-entertainment approach). Whereas newer bands like the Struts do actually get the crowd fired up – and notably they have a much younger audience and much more energetic frontman.
Very interesting sociological analysis there, Abw. Just to add my two pence, it might also be that (at least in the UK) there's not much at all in the way of rock or metal on radio or TV, so you don't get many casual fans at metal gigs. You are attending because you really know the band and have listened to a lot of the material fairly deeply. You're unlikely to have heard or seen an advert for a gig for a band that you just heard a few hits on the radio for. You're in an audience of fellow metalheads and musos most of the time.

Contrast that to larger pop gigs that are billed as mini festivals where you do get a load of people who are just there to hang out in the sun and drink beer. They don't listen, pay much attention or stop chatting amongst themselves until a big hit comes on later on in the gig.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

That's a good point. Although Alter Bridge haven't gotten notable airplay on terrestrial rock radio since AB III, they are apparently in pretty heavy rotation on Octane (satellite radio). This probably even has an outsized impact for shows in rural areas like Grantville where there are very few terrestrial radio stations at all, so more people have satellite radio subscriptions.

Same with your point about more popular gigs, and even sporting events, where people are there as much to be entertained as they are just to drink beer and get a little drunk with their friends. :lol

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Seems like things got a little interesting yesterday in Quebec City. Mammoth WVH's set was cut short due to a thunderstorm in the area, and Sevendust and Alter Bridge had to cancel. The good news is that both bands are coming back tonight! And they're offering all ticket holders to bring a friend for free!
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

Based on the setlist for QC it looks like Mark sung twice.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Jhenrid wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 1:02 am Based on the setlist for QC it looks like Mark sung twice.
He did for a few shows earlier this year. When I saw them, they played both Burn It Down and Stay.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!