Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by scarecrow »

Only one listen so far but I'd only heard Silver Tongue and the title track.

I like it! Mark and the guys always seem to hit me at exactly where I am in life (out of all their songs, All Ends Well is probably the one that helped get me through the last decade the most) and now on the other side of that, Fable really hits home.

Holiday is the only track I could see myself skipping and most AB records have at least several skips for me. But maybe it'll grow on me - just stood out as one I liked a lot less than the others.

Arguably their most coherent record since Myles joined the writing process on Blackbird. And extra impressive given the limited time frame in which they had to work. I miss the synths from WTS but this record inarguably *sounds* a lot better, so that's a fair tradeoff as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think I'll end up liking it as much as I like Marching In Time, but that album arrived as my life was blowing up, so it'll always be extra special to me.

More thoughts later, look forward to reading all of yours!

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I've listened to it once through, and my initial reaction is the final three tracks are the strongest. Until now I'd only heard the title track, "Sin After Sin", and "Silver Tongue"—each only a couple times—and I managed to hold off on "This is War" until today. Like any AB album, the new songs will take some time to grow on me.

I'm thinking I'll set up a new thread for post-release reviews, as this one more covers the lead-up and it might be good to have a fresh start now that the whole album is out.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

maximzub wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:49 am I just listened to the entire album. Honestly, I think that any opinion I say could easily be changed with multiple listens. So, I'm going to hold off on reviewing the album until I've listened to it more.
Okay fine, I'm going to write a first listen review anyway because I'm bored.

This Is War: Very strong song. Doesn't feel like an opener to me though, it feels more like the radio-friendly second track they've historically had on all their albums. Very nice solo, definitely one of the strongest on the album.

Dead Among The Living: Another strong one. Reminds me of Last Of Our Kind. The breakdown feels a little forced, though, and Myles's solo needs to be longer.

Silver Tongue: I needed a little time for this song to grow on me, but it's definitely in my top 5 on this album. Can't go wrong with this kind of song.

Sin After Sin: You guys know how much I dislike this song and why, so I don't need to repeat those statements here.

Stay: This was a pleasant surprise. People were right about it sounding like Godspeed or a sappy Nickelback ballad, but that's why I like it. Also, it's really refreshing to hear Mark's voice on an Alter Bridge song. Unlike Forever Falling, he sounds like himself this time. Sometimes Myles's backing vocals even sound like Eric Friedman, so sometimes I forget that it's not a Tremonti song!

Holiday: This one exceeded my expectations as well. I think Alter Bridge needs more of this kind of song with a swing feel and with more laid-back vocal melodies by Myles. I can definitely see how this could have been on his solo album.

Fable Of The Silent Son: Here's where I started to get bored of the album. This one starts out nice, but I think the doomy vibe in the rest of the song is a bit excessive. Also, there weren't enough solos. Upon first listen, I might even rank it below This Side Of Fate. Of course, with all of these songs, I'm gonna need a bit of time to digest them before I can have a firm opinion on all of them.

Season Of Promise: This one was a huge disappointment. The band advertised this as sounding like One Day Remains, and while I can hear that a little bit some of the time, it actually sounds more like something that should have been on Walk The Sky. It particularly sounds like Tear Us Apart. Also, the chorus sounds like something that could be played at both weddings and funerals. Very cheesy and not something that I would typically go back to listening to. The only thing good I have to say about it so far is the solo.

Last Man Standing: My head hurts from all the time signature changes. It's gonna take a long time for me to memorize how the song goes. Also, the delay on the guitars in the verses goes a little over my head. All in all, this song was hard to follow. I think the mini-solo battle in the middle of the song was cool. Towards the end, I was wishing that Myles would come in with another solo after Mark's, but nope. So what do I think about the song? Well...it's a song.

Pawns & Kings: Clearly my favorite song on the album, and it's worked its way into being one of my favorite songs of all time. It even stole the third place spot for my favorite Alter Bridge songs from Cry Of Achilles. It's the perfect closer to the album, and every part of the song is worth it.

Track listing: It doesn't really flow well enough. The first three songs all sound like they could be radio singles, which is not really a good thing. The first song should have been something with a more epic intro, and the third song should have been a change of pace. Also, Last Man Standing and Pawns & Kings next to each other was a mistake, because both are the same tempo. And the last thing is...it's too short. It really needs more songs to be able to have more of a flow. Hopefully we'll get the other two songs recorded for the album as bonus tracks.

Current ranking (may change, obviously):

1. Pawns & Kings
2. This Is War
3. Stay
4. Silver Tongue
5. Dead Among The Living
6. Last Man Standing
7. Holiday
8. Season Of Promise
9. Fable Of The Silent Son
10. Sin After Sin

That's my current review. I think I'm gonna do another one next week after having listened to the album more times.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Some of you really don’t like where AB is headed I guess. Bummer. I really enjoy the record. Right behind Fortress and AB III for me.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

joshuabeau wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:33 pm Some of you really don’t like where AB is headed I guess. Bummer. I really enjoy the record. Right behind Fortress and AB III for me.
I don't have a problem with them trying new things, I just wish they could also do more of the things that made them popular in the first place. I don't know if this is a popular opinion around here, but I really think the album needed more songs in order to sound more cohesive. This album has pretty much everything except a real ballad like what they did on One Day Remains and Blackbird.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

maximzub wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:38 pm I just wish they could also do more of the things that made them popular in the first place.
Aren't they doing that on P&K? Heavy alternative metal riffs, hooky choruses, sappy ballads, shred guitar solos, Myles' voice in the higher register? What made them popular in the first place then?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dolo wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:05 pm
maximzub wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:38 pm I just wish they could also do more of the things that made them popular in the first place.
Aren't they doing that on P&K? Heavy alternative metal riffs, hooky choruses, sappy ballads, shred guitar solos, Myles' voice in the higher register? What made them popular in the first place then?
Creed
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: Aye.

Post by zazthespaz »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:14 pm
Creed
All in favor of me banning Timo?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: yes Mark... Talk to me...

Post by Timotheus »

I wonder what Stapp feels like when he listens to Stay, lol.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

I fucking love fable but bruh, why those double Myles on the intro. Totally unecessary lol

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

The sappy ballads on this album are not the kind that first made them popular (think Watch Over You and about half of the songs on One Day Remains). Sure, they have their place, but I would add in at least one ballad with the old style. Upon first listen, most of the guitar solos are meh (This Is War being an exception). Other than that, they of course have done everything else that makes them the band they are, but I feel like those two things I mentioned are missing on this album.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

The last two posts from Timotheus and Zaz had me laughing so hard I started coughing and this is coming from a huge Creed fan.

To answer Dolo's post though it's a question I've thought about a lot since the release of The Last Hero. I think what made the first four albums different from the recent three is the overall tone - warmth of ODR, defiance of Blackbird, journey of ABIII, and full out diversity of Fortress. Maybe that's too bland of a summary. With TLH there seemed to be more of a focus on quantity rather than quality and the SOUND changed - not for the better in my opinion. Harsher in tone, Myles voice consistently in the upper register where it borders on howling, and loss of the bluesy guitar feel - a la Joe Bonamassa. The experimental side of Walk The Sky with the synths was interesting, but ultimately fell flat for me. Lyrically I think they shifted to more of a social/political commentary rather than writing on themes like overcoming addiction/adversity, not giving up, hoping for better days, surviving, etc. Others can feel free to chime in but I like a lot of elements of P&K - Myles whisper singing, softer tone, finger picked guitar, Mark's background vocals which to me were the defining sound of AB for many years, hopeful lyrics such as fighting/standing up for what's good and right.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I usually looooove AB ballads (You Will Be Remembered aside lol) but Stay is not connecting. I'm not hearing a hook, like at all. What am I missing?

Title track took a few listens to click back in July though. And now I super dig it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The quiet bridge of Last Man Standing is one of the best things they've ever written. The lyrics, the chords, the vibe... Absolutely incredible :bow That just really connected with me on an emotional level.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Timotheus wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:18 pm The quiet bridge of Last Man Standing is one of the best things they've ever written. The lyrics, the chords, the vibe... Absolutely incredible :bow That just really connected with me on an emotional level.
You’re right, that is a great effin’ bridge isn’t it. That transition before the last chorus still bugs me though.

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

Last Man Standing is such a great track but the weird transition towards the end throws me off. I wish it was “BRINGS YOU DOWN IN TIME!” with either a silent break and flowing instrumental, but the quick switch to “DRAWN TO THE FLAME” is so odd. Amazing song, though!

GassMoney92
Brand New Start

Post by GassMoney92 »

fix wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:40 pm
Timotheus wrote: Fri Oct 14, 2022 2:18 pm The quiet bridge of Last Man Standing is one of the best things they've ever written. The lyrics, the chords, the vibe... Absolutely incredible :bow That just really connected with me on an emotional level.
You’re right, that is a great effin’ bridge isn’t it. That transition before the last chorus still bugs me though.
You just beat me to my point lol

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The overlap in vocals is a bit off. It would've probably been more natural if it was one vocal take. It doesn't really bother me though.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

The guys talking through each songs meaning in a full play through on now between 8pm and 10pm uk time 👍

https://primordialradio.com/

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

There is a Hi-Res Stereo release this time. Does anyone know how good is it?