Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by fix »

I definitely like some of the ODR/BB 'ballads', but I didn't like any of them after those albums - except for Lover (if that counts as a ballad - I looooove Lover). Curious to hear these new ones tomorrow, but not having the highest expectations after these comments haha! That might end up being a good thing.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

They are some very strong elements to this album, which I will touch upon after a few more listens. Definitely much more interesting than WTS overall for me. However one of the biggest let down for me in this new album are the solos. very weak overall. WTS was already weak on this aspect for me.

We know the guys can deliver amazing solos, the whole of fortress album has solos that doesn’t feel like just shredding and have some emotions and feels in them. In TLH, show me a leader, this side of fate, island of fools goddamnit, TLH, all have amazing solos ! I can’t find anything remotely close to those in this new album solo wise, besides perhaps This Is War’s

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

After the first few listens some very short impressions: I really like Stay as an upbeat ballad now, I haven't after listening just once. The bridge is great and I in general love the harmonies between Myles and Mark.
I also like Holiday even though it is a very atypical AB song, kind of a mixture between Slash & Myles and Myles' solo project. But this song is just fun.
I like almost everything in Last Man Standing but cannot get into the chorus just yet...hopefully that will change.
Fable of the Silent Son is great but I still need way more listens to fully grasp it. Love most parts a lot.

I have the feeling that many of those not prereleased tracks are growers (at least for me).

Edit: I forgot to mention that I really liked Season of Promise after the first listen a lot which is funny as it seems to be one of the songs that some people can't really get into (from what I read).

scalthom
Brand New Start

Post by scalthom »

Wow

Fable Of The Silent Son"

Lost where we can't escape
Blind to our own decay
Lamenting when we can't let go
Until we heal, we die alone
We hope that it's not too late

I used to lie awake
And sing this song
Fear is a hollow place
A dark beyond
The coldest season that
I've ever known
But it's over now
I've learned from my mistakes
Times have changed

And I have changed

It's hard to recognize the person that I was
But a wasted life is still worth saving
I was too scared to fight
Forgiveness wouldn't come
But it's over now
But it's over now
Times have changed

Those were the darkest days
I never will return
This I confess so you may learn
Convey the truth, the pain
So you won't have to hurt
Please never second guess these words

Like a phoenix rising from the dust
I've come to lift you up
Like a new day dawning from above in turn
So you may you learn
A lesson from the things I've done
A fable of the silent son

And buried way below
We have our deep regrets
With waves of anger to respect
We face our demons with intentions to protect
Our future angels for what's next

I've come to lift you up
So you may you learn

A warning of the things to come
Foreshadowing the end for some
Who dare and lose it all

A warning of the things to come
Forgive me for the things I've done
I could have lost it all

I used to lie awake
And sing this song
Fear is the hollow place
A dark beyond
The coldest season that
I've ever known
But it's over now
But it's over now

I've come to lift you up
So you may you learn

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

"We wait for the harvest, in the season of promise". I'll never get that chorus out of my head.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

So, Fable of the Silent Son.

So far that is my favorite of the 7 tracks I haven't heard yet, and yea yea yea, its complex for the sake of being complex, but I love that shit and it honestly works pretty well here.

AB has 100% beat WTS and possibly TLH in terms of quality over quantity, and I haven't even finished the album yet..
Thanks Timo!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

About Fable, do we think the guys are actually gonna play it live? Or could it be another Words Darker Than Their Wings where they don’t do it for a while?

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I think so. Its not that complex in terms of the actual parts, it's just a little unorthodox structurally.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:47 pm I think so. Its not that complex in terms of the actual parts, it's just a little unorthodox structurally.
I actually think it would be an interesting show opener. Although I know bands typically like to storm out of the gate with something more rowdy.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Idk man, Periphery was opening their shows with Reptile(15 minute song about a stoner named Billy who leads the battle against the reptilian race), so anything is possible.
Thanks Timo!

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

austinjhnsn wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:17 pm Idk man, Periphery was opening their shows with Reptile(15 minute song about a stoner named Billy who leads the battle against the reptilian race), so anything is possible.
:rockon :lol

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I definitely need more listens. So far, only Pawns and Kings is a standout for me.

This is War is a good opening and Fable of the Silent Son is interesting but there is a lot going on there (as some have said here - "its complex for the sake of being complex").
Silver Tongue, Holiday and Stay (another weak ballad) are easily skippable and Season of Promise is a bit meh.

Overall, the album has interesting moments but it lacks something to grab my attention, just like Walk The Sky.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Dan Dando wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:43 pm About Fable, do we think the guys are actually gonna play it live? Or could it be another Words Darker Than Their Wings where they don’t do it for a while?
My vote would be to play it in the set straight after blackbird 😀

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

I'm reading through these posts and hating that I have to wait until 11:00 PM here to listen to the album.

Myles mentioned in an interview that they did a lot more of singing choruses over the main riffs, which is a big red flag for me. They did it in Sin After Sin and that's one of the reasons why it's one of my bottom five Alter Bridge songs. Which other songs did they do that in?
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Does anybody notice a similarity between the main riff of Dead Among the Living and the main riff of Come To life? I love it, specially on 00:17 to 00:36
Last edited by Whitebird on Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:38 pm I'm reading through these posts and hating that I have to wait until 11:00 PM here to listen to the album.

Myles mentioned in an interview that they did a lot more of singing choruses over the main riffs, which is a big red flag for me. They did it in Sin After Sin and that's one of the reasons why it's one of my bottom five Alter Bridge songs. Which other songs did they do that in?
Of the ones not already released.

- Stay
- Holiday (sort of - different rhythm)

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Just some things that stand out:
- The run of songs from Fable till the end is great.
- I love the section in Fable from 5:00 onwards where there is great interchange between the guitars and space for the snare
- Season of Promise is a better example of the lighter side of AB than Stay - I think there's some Mark harmonies in there too (in the verses and the 'aaaaahhhs' in the chorus)
- Mark harmonies in Last Man Standing are the bomb. I get some great Clear Horizon vibes from this one. Solos are filthy as well, especially Myles's, weird edit out of that section though.
- Fable is serious consideration for Top-10 fav AB songs.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

After one listen:

Sin After Sin, Fable, Season of Promise (and Pawns & Kings which I'd already listened to) are my clear standouts. Unfortunately I really, really did not like Stay. This Is War and Last Man Standing were promising, will be able to judge better after some more listens tomorrow. Dead Among the Living and Holiday are maybe the tier below. Sin After Sin was probably the most pleasant surprise as it seemed to get a mixed reaction on release but I loved its doomy goodness.

Favourite moments of the listen - the rhythm playing behind the solos on Fable (gave me Fortress vibes), and Mark joining the vocal on Season of Promise's second verse, love it!
For all of the hope that it brings...

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:08 pm
maximzub wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:38 pm I'm reading through these posts and hating that I have to wait until 11:00 PM here to listen to the album.

Of the ones not already released.

- Stay
- Holiday (sort of - different rhythm)
Okay, good. I'm glad they didn't do that in Dead Among The Living, Fable Of The Silent Son, Season Of Promise, or Last Man Standing. I think I'm gonna like those when I hear them. The only worry I have left is whether Fable Of The Silent Son sounds like a mismatched mess like This Side Of Fate.

I would also like to mention that I'm surprised Stay has a riff during the chorus. I've seen it compared to Godspeed and to sappy Nickelback ballads, which makes me think of Nickelback's song Gotta Be Somebody. When you think of it, its main riff is also in the chorus. But, the main riff isn't a riff per-se, but rather just an arrangement of chords. If Stay is that way, then it probably won't bother me. I like Nickelback's ballads and I like Godspeed, so I'm not worried about that one.
Last edited by maximzub on Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Damn, I really disliked Stay at the first listen and now it's one of my favorite choruses ever from AB.
I still dislike the verses in terms of lyrics tho.