Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://www.loudersound.com/reviews/alt ... bum-review

Alter Bridge’s Pawns & Kings: more colossal anthems from the modern kings of arena rock
Album review: Alter Bridge carry on doing what they do best on new album Pawns & Kings

4 stars

Seven albums into their career, the chances of getting your hands on a new Alter Bridge album and being surprised by anything you hear are slim to none. This is a band who know what they do, know how to do it well, and seem content to deliver another big, fat, satisfying slice of it every few years. Those who crave creative sonic exploration from their artists may scoff at Alter Bridge for snugly remaining in their corner of the music world, but really the joke is on them, because there is nothing unworthy about a consistent ability to write excellent, instantaneous, colossal rock anthems.

Pawns & Kings just feels good. Dead Among The Living struts along as Myles Kennedy’s honey-coated voice delivers a hook that buries into your brain. Then there’s Myles and guitarist Mark Tremonti duetting on the earnest, skyscraper post-grunge of Stay and Mark living out his Dimebag Darrell fantasies on the groove metal stomp of Holiday. Myles’s vocals go from a whisper to a soar on the title track, backed by a juicy, thick cut of pure riff goodness from Tremonti, and when they move into full rage mode, as they do on the thrashy Silver Tongue, you’d have to be a cloth-eared fool to deny that this is a band with bite. Frankly, every moment here inspires a clenched fist; a banged head; a hop, skip and a jump in your walk.

It’s nothing new by this band’s standards, but these types of songs are incredibly difficult to get right, and if that’s hard to believe then check out many of Alter Bridge’s lumpen and forgettable peers. That they’re able to keep the listener interested and engaged this deep into their career without ever really deviating from their core sound is proof of their calibre.

Pawns & Kings might be exactly what everyone expects from Alter Bridge, but it’s also exactly what any true fan would want from them: quality and consistency personified.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

CrowsOnAWire wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:05 am https://riffmagazine.com/album-reviews/ ... and-kings/

Tremonti’s “Stay” has more of an upbeat anthemic rock sound, with a pinch of classic rock. Kennedy’s upper register blends particularly well with Tremonti’s lower register, making for some memorable harmonies.

The band follows it up with more melodic hard rocker “Season of Promise,” again showcasing the interplay between the two vocalists.
I’ve gotta be careful not to hype these two songs up too much in my brain :D

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

"Mark living out his Dimebag Darrell fantasies on the groove metal stomp of Holiday."

Yes, please!
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Schulzy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:08 am "Mark living out his Dimebag Darrell fantasies on the groove metal stomp of Holiday."

Yes, please!
For something that was supposed to be on Myles's cancelled solo album, that's interesting.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

maximzub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:52 am
Schulzy wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:08 am "Mark living out his Dimebag Darrell fantasies on the groove metal stomp of Holiday."

Yes, please!
For something that was supposed to be on Myles's cancelled solo album, that's interesting.
Wait wut. I never heard that but if true that’s pretty dope.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:31 pm
maximzub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:52 am

Yes, please!
Wait wut. I never heard that but if true that’s pretty dope.
Tim Tournier posted about that pretty recently.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

So here's where the songs released so far sit with me:

1. Best chorus: This is War
2. Best song to belt in the car: Sin After Sin
3. Best Solo: This Is War
4. Song I Love Just A Bit Less Than The Rest: Silver Tongue
5. Best overall song: Pawns & Kings
Last edited by thatfunkodad on Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

thatfunkodad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:08 pm So here's where the songs released so far sit with me:
Here's mine.

1. Best chorus: Pawns & Kings
2. Best song to belt in the car: Pawns & Kings
4. Song I Love Just A Bit Less Than The Rest: Silver Tongue (not Sin After Sin because I hate it)
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

New review [translated from German]:
ALTER BRIDGE's six studio albums to date have sold millions of copies, and the seventh should now become another sure-fire success - but not because the band of three out of four Creed members and frontman Myles Kennedy would only downplay their shoe. Over the past few years, they have steadily developed from a somewhat heavier neo-grunge combo to an always fresh-sounding, riff-oriented metal band whose hit rate in terms of hits can cause fear and anxiety in large parts of the rest of the mainstream.

And "Pawns & Kings" contains "simply" pieces whose multifacetedness no previous ALTER BRIDGE record has offered, and without the riff master Mark Tremonti and Co. forgetting the sky-high hooks. If you break the album down to one adjective, it would be "combative", whereby 'This Is War' is already a declaration of war with its title.

However, this still relatively expected introductory anthem is followed by anything but calculated piecemeal: 'Dead Among the Living' couple of deep nu-metal grooves with almost classic-rock-compatible harmonies and of course corresponding vocals by Myles Kennedy, who once again lost his life seems to be singing...

And all the more so in the slightly overlong 'Sin After Sin', with which ALTER BRIDGE by no means pay tribute to Judas Priest, but marry the discipline "mini-epic" with straight headbanger passages. The chorus is just as big here as it is on 'Stay' afterwards, except this is the record's one obvious radio single candidate.

As if the quartet had to apologize for it, with 'Holiday' it pulls out an initially bulky number, which also turns out to be extremely singable - and ALTER BRIDGE should also be ennobled for their once more associative instead of stadium rock commonplaces.

That's how timeless rock goes... and 'Fable of the Silent Son' then even ventures into progressive realms, for the eight and a half minutes actually weaves the intricacies of classic 70's genre heroes with multiple forever tunes that Dream Theater have been striving for for years , to get another hit like ´Pull Me Under´ on the line.

ALTER BRIDGE could if they wanted to, as does 'Last Man Standing' with its slightly twisted drum groove. The title track closes the sack with another hook at the end that you won't be able to get rid of anytime soon.

CONCLUSION: ALTER BRIDGE remain state of the art when it comes to arena-compatible hard rock and heavy metal that isn't called Metallica. An insanely well-grooved rhythm section, a guitarist who is equally skilled in leads and riffs and a singer whose every word you inevitably have to stick to, form a unique chemistry on "Pawns & Kings", which every music listener who is only halfway to heavy guitars will experience got to.
http://www.musikreviews.de/reviews/2022 ... s--Kings/

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

maximzub wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:36 pm
thatfunkodad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:08 pm So here's where the songs released so far sit with me:
Here's mine.

4. Song I Love Just A Bit Less Than The Rest: Silver Tongue (not Sin After Sin because I hate it)
Just a question out of pure interest without any judgment because obviously tastes are different:

What exactly makes you "hate" a song like Sin after Sin (as a huge AB fan you seem to be) which is not so different in style from other AB songs? And why exactly are there songs one of your favorite bands made you havent listened to at all from previous albums (referring to other posts where you said that) even though you are such an active member here and seem to really like the band. Just very curious

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Mr.Vlado wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:36 am
Here's mine.

Just a question out of pure interest without any judgment because obviously tastes are different:

What exactly makes you "hate" a song like Sin after Sin (as a huge AB fan you seem to be) which is not so different in style from other AB songs? And why exactly are there songs one of your favorite bands made you havent listened to at all from previous albums (referring to other posts where you said that) even though you are such an active member here and seem to really like the band. Just very curious
I often wonder this when people say they hate a song, because hate is such a strong word. Like I really hate the song Fireflies by Owl City. The lyrics are nonsensical and its was obviously written to appeal to teenage girls and be "cute". For me, to put AB songs in that category just feels weird. I mean there are plenty of AB songs that I routinely skip like Poison In Your Veins or Clear Horizon, but I don't think they are bad songs, and I certainly don't hate them. Just don't connect or vibe with them as much. I understand everyone is entitled to their opinions, just seems excessive given some of the songs that exist in the world. No big deal either way, you can definitely hate the song, but I'm with Vlado on being curious what makes you hate it.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:01 am
Here's mine.

I often wonder this when people say they hate a song, because hate is such a strong word. Like I really hate the song Fireflies by Owl City. The lyrics are nonsensical and its was obviously written to appeal to teenage girls and be "cute". For me, to put AB songs in that category just feels weird. I mean there are plenty of AB songs that I routinely skip like Poison In Your Veins or Clear Horizon, but I don't think they are bad songs, and I certainly don't hate them. Just don't connect or vibe with them as much. I understand everyone is entitled to their opinions, just seems excessive given some of the songs that exist in the world. No big deal either way, you can definitely hate the song, but I'm with Vlado on being curious what makes you hate it.
I think literally the only AB song I have strong distaste for, or 'hate', is Losing Patience. The main riff is just so monotonous I can't stand it (for some reason it sounds like one of those meme videos where a song has been tuned all to a single note :lol ), especially when the rest of the song is actually quite good and that main riff ruins the experience for me.

Different personality types consume media and engage with fandoms in different ways though. Also, perhaps Maximzub's way of engaging with media is more in line with how younger people consume music now? The album is an older artform that was created to fill a specific medium like vinyl, tapes and CDs. None of that is necessary now. I can see some songs will just lose their context in without their placement in a running order and the discovery of songs will be more disjointed and piecemeal. I am intrigued about the hate for SaS though, mainly because I love it :yes

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Here's mine.

The only songs I haven't listened to are the songs on the Rarities disc of Live At The O2 Arena + Rarities (and even from them, I've listened to and really like Zero, Home, and Last Of Our Kind). So the posts you're referring to must be from 2021 because June 15, 2021 was the day I finally finished listening through Alter Bridge's main album discography pre-Pawns & Kings. The reason I haven't listened to the said bonus tracks are 1) because they were not available on YouTube back when I was aiming to listen to their entire discography, and 2) even though they are now, I just don't feel like listening to "new" Alter Bridge with the new album coming out. I'd rather immerse myself in the new album, and then maybe after a while, I'll go back and check out the bonus tracks I've missed.

As for Sin After Sin: Okay, I can change "hate" to "strongly dislike". It starts out nice but then gets extremely boring, the chorus is unmemorable (choruses that have the main riff going under it are always a turn-off for me, hello Bleed It Dry), Myles's style of scooping up to his notes in the bridge is annoying, and the solos are not nearly what either guitarist is capable of. For an almost 7 minute song, it pretty much becomes necessary for there to be at least one epic guitar solo. So yeah, there's all my reasons for disliking Sin After Sin.

I can really love a band but hate/strongly dislike one or more of their songs because no band is perfect. I even hate some of my own songs even though I put a lot of time into writing them.

EDIT: I'd like to add that something I've done a lot with songs is jumping to conclusions with them after one or two listens. Then after a long time of not listening to them, I revisit them and realize they're not so bad after all. This is not one of those situations. As much as I dislike it, I listen to Sin After Sin a lot because I'm really excited for Pawns & Kings, so I listen to all four singles in one round to satisfy myself until the entire album comes out. The song isn't one of those where the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. I just don't think I'm ever going to like it, like I never liked Find The Real, Bleed It Dry, The Other Side, or Last Rites.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

:peace
maximzub wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:30 am
Here's mine.

The only songs I haven't listened to are the songs on the Rarities disc of Live At The O2 Arena + Rarities (and even from them, I've listened to and really like Zero, Home, and Last Of Our Kind). So the posts you're referring to must be from 2021 because June 15, 2021 was the day I finally finished listening through Alter Bridge's main album discography pre-Pawns & Kings. The reason I haven't listened to the said bonus tracks are 1) because they were not available on YouTube back when I was aiming to listen to their entire discography, and 2) even though they are now, I just don't feel like listening to "new" Alter Bridge with the new album coming out. I'd rather immerse myself in the new album, and then maybe after a while, I'll go back and check out the bonus tracks I've missed.

As for Sin After Sin: Okay, I can change "hate" to "strongly dislike". It starts out nice but then gets extremely boring, the chorus is unmemorable (choruses that have the main riff going under it are always a turn-off for me, hello Bleed It Dry), Myles's style of scooping up to his notes in the bridge is annoying, and the solos are not nearly what either guitarist is capable of. For an almost 7 minute song, it pretty much becomes necessary for there to be at least one epic guitar solo. So yeah, there's all my reasons for disliking Sin After Sin.

I can really love a band but hate/strongly dislike one or more of their songs because no band is perfect. I even hate some of my own songs even though I put a lot of time into writing them.

EDIT: I'd like to add that something I've done a lot with songs is jumping to conclusions with them after one or two listens. Then after a long time of not listening to them, I revisit them and realize they're not so bad after all. This is not one of those situations. As much as I dislike it, I listen to Sin After Sin a lot because I'm really excited for Pawns & Kings, so I listen to all four singles in one round to satisfy myself until the entire album comes out. The song isn't one of those where the more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. I just don't think I'm ever going to like it, like I never liked Find The Real, Bleed It Dry, The Other Side, or Last Rites.
Losing Patience is another one for me that is a good song, but I tend to skip it because it doesn't gel with me like others. Fair enough though, I definitely get it. Especially your turn- off about having the main riff underneath it. That in particular doesn't bother me, but I have certain turn-offs like that too. It's basic and repeating drum beats where the kick drums hit on beats 1 and 3 and the snare hits on beats 2 and 4. It's just really dated and too basic to me. It's why I don't like Godspeed as much a some people, and why I'm not a fan of the drumming on A7X's Hail to the King album.

Edit: the Losing Patience part of this comment was in response to Crumbso's comment.

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

maximzub wrote: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:30 am
thatfunkodad wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 6:08 pm
EDIT: I'd like to add that something I've done a lot with songs is jumping to conclusions with them after one or two listens. Then after a long time of not listening to them, I revisit them and realize they're not so bad after all.
THIS! I've also been guilty of this. One example would be Native Son from WTS (and most of that album - it really took a few weeks of listening for most of it to grow on me).

It's the great thing about art - everyone has their own experience. It's hard to accept that sometimes because you can feel so strongly as to whether something is good or bad, but that's just the way it is. lol
Last edited by thatfunkodad on Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://distortedsoundmag.com/album-rev ... er-bridge/

ALBUM REVIEW: Pawns & Kings – Alter Bridge
October 11, 2022 Graham Ray Alter Bridge, Cosa Nostra PR, Napalm Records, Pawns & Kings

Inanely loathed by certain areas of the music fandom, The Hard Rock Kings are back with their seventh album Pawns & Kings to once again prove to the naysayers around the world why they are wrong about one of the best bands still going today

ALTER BRIDGE have been the masters of the epic opener and This Is War doesn’t buck that trend. It’s an extravagant and powerful call to arms that starts Pawns & Kings off in spectacular fashion. There’s no lengthy intro here which has been heard on previous starting numbers. Instead, it kicks into gear at full pelt with that now classic chunky Mark Tremonti riff and a colossal vocal hook in the chorus from Myles Kennedy. It’s an admirable battle cry that sets up the album perfectly.

Luckily the momentum carries on into the hard-rocking Dead Among The Living. It features another earworm vocal line from Kennedy which is backed up by Tremonti as usual. The track features one of their heaviest riffs in some time and will be sure to get heads nodding. It’s a track that wouldn’t be out of place amongst Ties That Bind and Come To Life on their incredible Blackbird album.

By this point, you’d be expecting a change of pace from the band but not a chance here. The opening trilogy of rock ragers is finished off by the low-end rumbling juggernaut of album highlight Silver Tongue. This is what ALTER BRIDGE do best: hit hard with an urgent pace but never lose an ounce of their grandeur and scale. Kennedy‘s lyrics “You’re over the line, under the gun” will make permanent residence in your brain for many months to come. Lyrically and musically the album feels heavy, akin to their 2013 masterpiece Fortress.

Those wondering when the ballads will arrive will have to wait until the Tremonti vocal-led Stay. There will no doubt be big shouts for this one to be played on the live circuit. While there’s enough cheese here to give those with lactose intolerance a problematic time, you cannot deny their genius songwriting capabilities. It’s catchy and packs an emotional punch. The same can be said for the later album ditty Seasons Of Promise, although it does go on a tad too long to make it a classic.

Speaking of long, the album features the band’s longest track to date, Fable Of The Silent Son. The track clocks in at a meaty eight minutes and 22 seconds, beating out the previous title holder, Blackbird. The heroic number doesn’t waste a single second and is arguably one of their greatest songs to date. It opens with the spotlight on Kennedy before it erupts into a pounding riff. Tremonti and Brian Marshall both work in unison to lay down hulking guitar lines while the vocals soar over the top. It weaves through the runtime without ever dragging its feet and by the time the solo rolls around you’ll be fully invested. The band’s prog rock elements are evident within both this track and the decadent Sin After Sin – a mid-tempo rocker which showcases the rhythm section as the unsung heartbeat of the band.

While by now you’ll know what to expect from an ALTER BRIDGE album, you cannot deny that what they do is done to perfection. The grooving Holiday is a perfect example of how they expertly flick between heaviness and melody and marry up the down-tuned riffs with the high-pitched heavenly bellow from arguably one of the best vocalists in the game.

After the decent but not overly exciting last two records, it’s safe to say to boys are back and are once again making the most ALTER BRIDGE album that ALTER BRIDGE can make. This is the band realising what they do best is just be themselves and the fans will love them for that. There’s no denying Pawns & Kings is up there with their best work.

Rating: 9/10

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

People, remember that there’s no need to quote a long post if you’re only responding to a small part of it :)

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

This is the first time we have no previews of the songs of an album :')

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Hello all,
I am planning doing a UK listening party release at midnight Thursday, I’ll be using Microsoft teams and zoom so anyone is welcome to join. Hope to see as many people there as possible for their reactions 😀