Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by scarecrow »

oh damn i was right about 'stay' being the big ballad ?!?!?

edit: and i appreciate myles being open about one of the reasons they stick with elvis

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

i'd love for mark to sing more than one song a night

he could easily take 2 or 3 - waters rising and stay plus broken wings or something

would be nice to relieve myles who is clearly into that idea lmao

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:26 pm
Timotheus wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:30 pm Interesting that they chose to strip it a bit down on the production on some of the songs. I'm personally not hearing it that much on the new songs, or at least not drastically. The Silver Tongue main section for example still has the required Myles lead and background vocals over the main riff for example.

Overal a good initiative though, hoping it's more noticable on unreleased songs!
Maybe they just mean “less synth”.
There are significantly less overdubs than TLH and WTS. This sounds more akin to Tremonti's last two releases, so still big metal productions but not so many layers that things get confusing or wearing.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 2:26 pm
Timotheus wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:30 pm Interesting that they chose to strip it a bit down on the production on some of the songs. I'm personally not hearing it that much on the new songs, or at least not drastically. The Silver Tongue main section for example still has the required Myles lead and background vocals over the main riff for example.

Overal a good initiative though, hoping it's more noticable on unreleased songs!
Maybe they just mean “less synth”.
There are significantly less overdubs than TLH and WTS. This sounds more akin to Tremonti's last two releases, so still big metal productions but not so many layers that things get confusing or wearing.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

scarecrow wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:57 pm i'd love for mark to sing more than one song a night

he could easily take 2 or 3 - waters rising and stay plus broken wings or something

On the WTS tour it was Waters Rising and Forever Falling some nights. It’d be nice if they could bunch the songs together if Mark sings more than 1, give Myles an extended break in the middle of the set.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

So now we know that there is only one ballad on this record (as the guy said "the ballad on the album" and it is Stay, with mark on vocals.
I love Mark's ballad especially Not Afraid to Lose off of MIT. But I miss ABs ballad sang by myles akin to Watch over you, life must go on, wonderful life etc..

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

DarkKnight12 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:39 am So now we know that there is only one ballad on this record (as the guy said "the ballad on the album" and it is Stay, with mark on vocals.
I love Mark's ballad especially Not Afraid to Lose off of MIT. But I miss ABs ballad sang by myles akin to Watch over you, life must go on, wonderful life etc..
I thought Season Of Promise would be a ballad.
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

maximzub wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:47 pm
DarkKnight12 wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:39 am So now we know that there is only one ballad on this record (as the guy said "the ballad on the album" and it is Stay, with mark on vocals.
I thought Season Of Promise would be a ballad.
Sounds more like political criticism. Once the election period begins, politicians will begin to make promises they'll never keep.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: let's see how long that FB image lasts...

Post by zazthespaz »

American tour 2023 announced!

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

zazthespaz wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:12 am American tour 2023 announced!

Nothing in Wisconsin at all. :mope

Chicago is another option, but usually we find it more convenient to go to Milwaukee or Madison for concerts. And especially since I'm going to college in Wisconsin, that would have been easier. Fortunately, Chicago is on a Saturday, so I can go.

YES! I FINALLY HAVE A CHANCE TO SEE ALTER BRIDGE!
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

thatfunkodad
Brand New Start

Post by thatfunkodad »

Oregon skipped again. Pretty sure they've only played here like 3 times ever. Sucks having to choose between a 5 or 8 hour drive to see a concert because they only seem to care about Washington up here. I get that's where Myles is from, but come on.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

Sorry I have a question, Silver Tongue It’s not even on rock radio charts yet right?

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

:slam

Goddamn it!
Maybe don't snub Maine on the next tour?! I'd haul my ass all the way down to Portland if need be!
Tour announcements are just depressing at this point... There's more to New England north of Boston, y'know!

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

AB4Lyfe wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:56 pm
scarecrow wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:57 pm i'd love for mark to sing more than one song a night

On the WTS tour it was Waters Rising and Forever Falling some nights. It’d be nice if they could bunch the songs together if Mark sings more than 1, give Myles an extended break in the middle of the set.
I adore Forever Falling but that's not a break for Myles. :lol

Definitely would like to see more songs with them trading lead vocals though. We only have a couple of those to date. :mope

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

maximzub wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:15 am

Chicago is another option, but usually we find it more convenient to go to Milwaukee or Madison for concerts. And especially since I'm going to college in Wisconsin, that would have been easier. Fortunately, Chicago is on a Saturday, so I can go.

Hey, I drove from Milwaukee to Chicago (Soldier Field) at the last second Friday night for RHCP (a great, affordable ticket popped up at 5 PM) and then drove back immediately after. Sure, getting down there was a nightmare, but it's doable!

(Sadly I missed half of The Strokes' set but still got to see them! The two bands were fantastic. So happy I finally got to see both.)

P.S. Maybe I'll see you at the Chicago show!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

See ya in Dallas :wave

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Damn, kinda disappointed by this. Ngl. Not unexpected I guess because they seem to move further and further this way with each album, but I do love some of the more traditional ballads that Myles belts out from earlier with Mark strumming along. I guess I'll have to wait 3 years.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

scarecrow wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:35 pm
maximzub wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:15 am

Hey, I drove from Milwaukee to Chicago (Soldier Field) at the last second Friday night for RHCP (a great, affordable ticket popped up at 5 PM) and then drove back immediately after. Sure, getting down there was a nightmare, but it's doable!

(Sadly I missed half of The Strokes' set but still got to see them! The two bands were fantastic. So happy I finally got to see both.)

P.S. Maybe I'll see you at the Chicago show!
Cool! It wouldn't be the first time I'm in the proximity of a fellow TABN member. Although, what sucks is that I didn't get to meet Mara when we were both at Louder Than Life last year. Maybe we'll meet at the Chicago show?

We're going to see Alice In Chains and Breaking Benjamin in Tinley Park on Wednesday. It's a two hour drive from where we live, so my dad isn't gonna get much sleep as we'll probably be getting home at 2 in the morning and he wakes up at 6:30. So even that is a stretch by our standards.
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB23 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:26 am
Damn, kinda disappointed by this. Ngl. Not unexpected I guess because they seem to move further and further this way with each album, but I do love some of the more traditional ballads that Myles belts out from earlier with Mark strumming along. I guess I'll have to wait 3 years.
I agree. Mark writes fantastic ballads, and Myles voice sounds best when singing soulful ballads. On the first 3-4 records, even when the ballads were not the best songs on the album, they were still album highlights and a nice change of pace. Kinda sucks that they seem to stray away from that sound. Hopefully there will be at least portions of that sound in some songs.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

With P&K arriving soon I went back to listen to Blackbird, AB III, Fortress, and The Last Hero in order. Man, it's as close to time travel as I get. Hearing Myles' stripped down voice and Mark's background vocals just sends tingles down my spine. You can tell just how layered things got as they progressed. The warmth from their early albums was lost when they got to Fortress and while it's still my favorite album there started to be a bit of a harsh tone. The Last Hero is still exhausting for me to listen to in entirety. I look forward to only 10 songs on P&K and prefer the less is more approach to production.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_