Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: or dribkcalb

Post by Timotheus »

Opposite would be White Mammal.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Pawns & Kings (Alter Bridge - VII)

Post by fix »

I like it as a single. What I like mostly about it are the catchy main riff, but also that the ‘build up’ riffs are different than the actual riff it’s building up to. For example, after the first intro riff you could expect the same riff to kick in but heavier. But instead you get a different riff, and in the bridge it’s the same things. I like little curveballs like that.
Still prefer P&K but it’s a good song. :)

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

The intro riff gives me some Mötley Crüe vibes.

Any opinions on the music video? I like that they tried to head into a new direction. The video has some interesting art style. But I gotta say I'm rather a fan of music videos where you can see the band perform. Like on If Not For You or Wouldn't You Rather.

Whitebird
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Whitebird »

axlar wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:05 am Welcome Whitebird!
Thank you :cheers
cheesedip1 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:48 am
axlar wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:05 am Whitebird!
Opposite of the name Blackbird?

Cool
Sorry I couldn't come up with something more original...

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Mr. Slash wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:52 pm The intro riff gives me some Mötley Crüe vibes.

Any opinions on the music video? I like that they tried to head into a new direction. The video has some interesting art style. But I gotta say I'm rather a fan of music videos where you can see the band perform. Like on If Not For You or Wouldn't You Rather.
Yeah, I really enjoy the song, but the music video definitely wasn't for me. It didn't feel like it had any real connection to the song at all...though it's probably just all over my head.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I try not to be overtly negative here, but in this instance I don't think it can be helped.

I thought the music video was truly awful. It felt totally disconnected to the lyrical content of the song, and with regards to the "story" it struck me as immature, childish and one-dimensional (a sentiment not helped by the cartoon-like art and animation style). I'm not against the idea of animated music videos, but I feel this really failed to adequately compliment the music.

This aspect of promotion really baffles me when it comes to Alter Bridge. The biggest artists I'm aware of release 3-4 (sometimes more) high-quality videos for their singles; more often than not they are proffessionally filmed performance videos, and perhaps the occasional animated video. With things like YouTube still playing a huge role in artist exposure, it makes sense to promote your music/brand in a visual way. AB have really neglected this in the recent past, recording only 1 music video every other album cycle and then just copy/pasting lyric videos thereafter (currently none for P&K, one for WTS in the form of Wouldn't You Rather, none for The Last Hero and one for Fortress which was Addicted to Pain).

I understand that Myles & Mark have very busy schedules (I'm aware that Myles wasn't even in the same room as the rest of the guys for the WYR video), but in my mind this should be a priority and not some optional consideration that can be mended with a cheap lyric video.

Definitely eager to hear other opinions on this.
Last edited by RevenantGB on Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: White reptile?

Post by zazthespaz »

Did Silver Tongue change anyone's opinions on Pawns & Kings? I find myself liking P&K more than I originally did - maybe it's because I'm listening to ST and then P&K comes up right after so I listen to it more? Either way, both songs have grown on me with each listen.

@Revenant, I kind of get what you're talking about for the video. The storyline for the first guy in it makes sense for me, but I don't get the woman or child (or why her underwear was so prominent as she fell? Just me? :shifty ). I may be alone but I appreciate the stray from the "band plays instruments on top of song" format for the music video - never found it exciting unless there was a close up on the guitarist during a riff/solo, and the format feels old to me. If the band is really angry about current events/the insurrection (as the lyrics suggest) a video theme incorporating videos from 1/6 would make sense to me - probably would help gain a little traction for the band via word of mouth. (“There's no such thing as bad publicity”)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It was a... curious choice on that falling animation :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

zazthespaz wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:57 pm Did Silver Tongue change anyone's opinions on Pawns & Kings? I find myself liking P&K more than I originally did - maybe it's because I'm listening to ST and then P&K comes up right after so I listen to it more? Either way, both songs have grown on me with each listen.
I'm just glad they released P&K first, ST disappointed me greatly at first and I gotta stop listening to P&K over and over again so I won't ruin it for myself before the album comes out. ST grew on me a tiny bit but I still find it kinda bland.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Music videos and AB haven’t been the greatest match haha. Only video that I thought was ‘kinda cool’ was Show Me A Leader. Someone’s gotta hook up AB with a great video director…

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

I never really watch the band’s music videos. Then when I think of the song I just think of the video.

Not a fan of AB’s music videos and that’s okay. I got tired of music videos in general over the past 10 years.

——Maybe you guys are right about the production sounding better in differnt format other than a YouTube video. Maybe I should get the album and listen to it through speakers, I’m sure that would be an improvement.

cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by cheesedip1 »

Dolo wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:13 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:57 pm
I'm just glad they released P&K first, ST disappointed me greatly at first and I gotta stop listening to P&K over and over again so I won't ruin it for myself before the album comes out. ST grew on me a tiny bit but I still find it kinda bland.
I’m glad they made both songs. One was more short and sweet which I liked but I’m also glad they tried something different with PAK. Experimentation can be nice.

With ST not a big fan of the echo vocals but the way Myles pronunces the word “fire” is pretty sweet.

Edit: double post :(

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Music videos have never been their thing, so I don't get too worked up about them one way or the other. I agree the animation doesn't really fit at all, but by itself it's cool and I respect them for trying something different. More importantly, the video was an excuse for me to hear the song a second time and while I liked it at first, I REALLY like it now :cloud9

axlar
Site Admin

Re: or dribkcalb

Post by axlar »

Timotheus wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:58 am Opposite would be White Mammal.
or Whitefish, Whitereptile...
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

i think the music video is weird too.. not really seeing the connection to the song.

Does anyone remember they had a video contest back in the days for Cry of Achilles?! Can someone overlay this video to CoA.. maybe it makes more sense then?! :shifty :fingerwag :facepalm :crazy
Kidding of course!
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

General production stuff aside (though I have no real problems with it currently anyway). In terms of the arrangement, these songs have been fairly free of the over-stuffed nature of WTS and TLH. There really any sections that have so many overdubs and layers going on that you have no idea what the heck is happening. That's very encouraging.

The only complaint I really have at the moment is the lack of Mark backing vocals. That is such a big part of their sound that it feels wrong without them.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I don't really care for music videos either. But with them appearing in the videos it's easier to feel a connection to the band. Which is not that important for us die-hards, but it might be a disadvantage with new listeners. Anyway, it's definitely not a bad video, just not something I'll watch again probably.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Crumbso wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:35 am General production stuff aside (though I have no real problems with it currently anyway). In terms of the arrangement, these songs have been fairly free of the over-stuffed nature of WTS and TLH. There really any sections that have so many overdubs and layers going on that you have no idea what the heck is happening. That's very encouraging.

The only complaint I really have at the moment is the lack of Mark backing vocals. That is such a big part of their sound that it feels wrong without them.
I definitely agree with that too...especially when many of the parts that Myles is doubling actually sound like the type of thing that Mark would do and is already in his range.

maximzub
On The Rail

Post by maximzub »

Timotheus wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:42 am I don't really care for music videos either. But with them appearing in the videos it's easier to feel a connection to the band. Which is not that important for us die-hards, but it might be a disadvantage with new listeners. Anyway, it's definitely not a bad video, just not something I'll watch again probably.
Not even just to see the girl falling?
I'm in love with somebody...
Found someone who completes me...
I'm in love with somebody...
Oh yeah...
And it's Lzzy Hale!

MaraCarr wrote: It is not like a crush or a lust thing.
Check out my coolest TABN posts!
My Long Alter Bridge Facts Post
Order Of Me Hearing Alter Bridge Songs
Order Of Me Hearing Tremonti Songs

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

maximzub wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 10:12 am
Timotheus wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:42 am I don't really care for music videos either. But with them appearing in the videos it's easier to feel a connection to the band. Which is not that important for us die-hards, but it might be a disadvantage with new listeners. Anyway, it's definitely not a bad video, just not something I'll watch again probably.
Not even just to see the girl falling?
There's the whole worldwide internet for that kind of thing young man! :humina