Tremonti playing at the Social TONIGHT!

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: Tremonti playing at the Social TONIGHT!

Post by Timotheus »

Yea, I think all the songs are very good. I kinda expected this album to be a ok album to listen to for a few times, but nothing really more. But I think they're going to a very high level with this album.
But if I have one complain, it's like mr. SoYourAfraid said: The solo's are so short! That really amazes me. It kinda proves to me that Mark is a songwriter first and a guitarist second.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

[youtube]http://youtu.be/enbKXjWnHSU[/youtube]

Brains is here :headbang

It's pretty good, but I think the coolest parts of the song are the verses and the intro. The chorus was pretty underwhelming the first time I heard it, but as the song progresses it grows on you. + I think the chorus will sound alot more huge on record.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Your right. Tim is it? He is defo a song writer first. I just thought this was his chance to let.rip with crazy long solos but there are alot of good riffs on the album by the sounds of it. I guess it being his first solo album as a frontman he has focused on the singing and melodies first. Lets hope the next one is full of big solos. I mean listen to apocalyptic love the amount of solos on that album is crazy haha

Dayviewer
Isolated

Post by Dayviewer »

Timotheus wrote:The chorus was pretty underwhelming the first time I heard it.
Because it sounds like every other chorus on the album right? :humina
Intro and verse is cool, the rest is decent.

I have this album pre-ordered but i'm not sure if i even will immediatly listen to it when it arrives :rolleyes
Formerly known as Benjami

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

Brains is cool. But very short and disappointing solo

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

The intro and verses to Brains are awesome, really dark and heavy, although I think they should have kept with the dark and heaviness during the choruses, it's a shame they didn't. The pre-choruses also sound a bit iffy in comparison to the verses and choruses. I'm sure it sounds better on the album.

Overall I'm quite surprised with what I heard, there are a few songs I probably won't care for on the album, like All I Was, Proof and New Way Out but everything else sounds alright. I wish Mark would shake up his songwriting and let some of the riffs breathe, some of the choruses let the songs down, but ah well, the songs are what they are, nothing can be changed about it now.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Brains is cool, digging it so much. Verses and chorus are really cool, very dark and vibey, same thing goes for the bridge, solo is good, could've been a bit better though. So far I've enjoyed and loved every song from the record. I won't listen to any previews or these live vids, don't wanna burn myself out, wanna have the real album experience when I buy it on iTunes.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Brains is gonna be fecking immense on the recorded version, loving that chorus!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Mark as a songwriter, and talking about something that he has written all by himself, I haven't heard a better song than TORN by him... These songs from his solo album sound fine.. but when Mark has written a song like Torn in the past, makes me think why can't he write stuff like that again.. Now Torn is a "basic" song, ok, we know how proud Mark is of his "evolution" as a guitar player since then, but I would like to hear that passion in his evolved skills again.. Cuz basic or not, a song like Torn for me is way up there and way way better than anything that I have heard from Mark... His solos are repetitive for the most part... Would love to hear solos that sound really good like the one in Brand New Start...

Edit: Oh yeah, And Brains is a song that I think has an old Creed vibe in it.. Would love to see Creed heading in this direction on the new record..
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

Edit: Oh yeah, And Brains is a song that I think has an old Creed vibe in it.. Would love to see Creed heading in this direction on the new record..
Really??!" :S I don't hear it at all.

Also I think it's important to remember that these are, for the most part, old songs and riffs so to expect much else than vaguely similar styles and structures might be a bit optimistic. It started as a small project too.

I think it sounds natural and it's a good album of kick ass driving melodic metal songs. I'd expect more from AB because they keep saying they try to stretch themselves artistically. Mark never said that with this album and lets not forget he's never sung and recorded entirely on his own initiative. It's not Led Zep IV but then this is still good music.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

$5 for a Tremonti show. Sickening.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Overall, I think the album would have been much better if Mark had not tried to push his melodic choruses down our throats. I mean, almost all songs have good parts, but also, all songs are ruined by predictable arrangements.
I can't believe it's the same guy who wrote My Own Prison, Human Clay, Weathered, One Day Remains and Blackbird : back then, the songs flowed naturally and nothing felt forced. What happened ?!
Them Bones wrote:His solos are repetitive for the most part...
Yup, they're staring to be predictable. For me, this is the biggest letdown of this album : when I heard he would do a solo album, I thought it would be a "guitar fest", with intricate riffs and long ass solos. The riffs are there for the most part, but IMHO, the solos are not memorable at all.
Last edited by chtimixeur on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

youknowverywell
White Knuckled

Post by youknowverywell »

Hey guys! First post, just thought I'd throw in my first impressions into this melting pot.

I think, all things considered, Mark is doing a great job as a singer. It's very difficult to switch from a backup singer to a lead singer. It's two very different vocal styles. It's going to take some time for Mark's voice to get to where it needs to be in order to be a successful lead singer but he already sounds great, which I think is a plus. Also he's never had to sing whole songs before. I dare you guys to try to play what he's playing AND sing at the same time haha It's very hard. He can be a bit loud at times but that's alright, his vocal chords will get used to going up that high and he won't need to put as much stress on them after a while. Give him some time.

As far as song structure goes I think it's fine to stick to a comfortable structure. Mark hasn't really ventured too far out of 4/4 or 6/8 much in his career, which is alright. And as far as IVCVBC I don't have a problem with that. Just my opinion, though, your mileage may vary. I agree with a lot of you that the solos could be better (I heard Mark say several times that it took him a long time to write eleven solos but then I'm hearing them and I'm like "...for that?" haha) but they're still beastly. Way better than I could ever do.

Garrett Whitlock is really a solid drummer. And just so you guys aren't like "Who is this guy to say all of this?" well I'm nobody =P But I do sing and play drums, bass, guitar, and piano so I know a little bit. Whitlock and Flip are two very different drummers. Flip has sort of "settled in" after fifteen years of drumming, a discussion that's going on in one of the other boards, so it's nice to hear a new style with some Tremonti riffage. Whitlock can at times overuse the double kicks but whatever. That's when you headbang. During the double kicks. Other than that, while he may be violent at times, he's good. I actually love watching him flail his arms around and hit the hi hat with both hands and just do unconventional things. It's cool.

I'm looking forward to hearing Brains, Decay, The Things I've Seen, So You're Afraid, All I Was, and Leave it Alone on the record.

TL;DR I know. Whatever =P

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

anybody have any idea how long the show might be on the 17th? I'm thinking of using my bus service to pick me up and I need an idea of the time to tell them to get me. I mean do you think Mark may hang out after the show? Should I have them get me at 1 or 2AM lol

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Good to see ya man! Welcome, thanks for the input

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Crumbso wrote:
Really??!" :S I don't hear it at all.

Also I think it's important to remember that these are, for the most part, old songs and riffs so to expect much else than vaguely similar styles and structures might be a bit optimistic. It started as a small project too.

I think it sounds natural and it's a good album of kick ass driving melodic metal songs. I'd expect more from AB because they keep saying they try to stretch themselves artistically. Mark never said that with this album and lets not forget he's never sung and recorded entirely on his own initiative. It's not Led Zep IV but then this is still good music.

Aight, My bad , I must say some parts of "Brains" musically sounds like it could be a direction creed could head into?? besides the point.. I am not complaining that Tremonti sounds like Tremonti in few parts of the song... He is a great guitar player and I enjoy his guitar playing.. But it still sounds like Tremonti has lost some beauty in his art.. His songs sound like he is trying to prove something about his skills, which he is probably not best at... Its like he is trying to run away from his "creed sound" cuz of a lot of opinions that shouldn't have to have mattered.. Cuz in my opinion, his creed sound however less technical or whatever else has been said about it, was still really beautiful.. It was artistic.. I even remember Mark Tremonti talking about how great the songs meant to them.. He claimed that Creed's intentions were never to put out radio friendly songs... They wrote the songs with all of their heart and with pure artistic drive.. He even said that they would never put out a song if it never moved them emotionally, that the songs really had meaning and passion.. His evolution is great no doubt, he can pro'bly shred better than ever, but in my opinion that is not what he is best at... His solo record could have had way better songs that that...
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

Bob_BleedItDry
Neon Impossible

Post by Bob_BleedItDry »

I also noticed there was not one finger picked intro. In one song it breaks down into a gorgeous finger picking section very briefly can't remember what song though

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

Leave It Alone on the record is sick! You'll see what I mean :)

Mark, I'm not sure, but there's two openers and then Tremonti. Doors open at 7:30pm. And yes, I'm sure Mark and the guys will hang out afterwards. They did on the 7th for a couple of hours.
Photobucket cash grab.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

youknowverywell wrote:I'm looking forward to hearing Brains, Decay, The Things I've Seen, So You're Afraid, All I Was, and Leave it Alone on the record.
YES my favorites as well. I would add Giving Up to that list though too, and naturally I want to also really want to hear "All I Got" and whatever that other b-side was called I forget

Drivenunder4
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Drivenunder4 »

TremontiFan4life wrote:anybody have any idea how long the show might be on the 17th? I'm thinking of using my bus service to pick me up and I need an idea of the time to tell them to get me. I mean do you think Mark may hang out after the show? Should I have them get me at 1 or 2AM lol
I'd try to to tweet Michael and let him knoe what's goin on. He may could help