Least "Best" song on Fortress

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

Least 'best' song on Fortress?

Cry Of Achilles
3%
Addicted To Pain
3%
Bleed It Dry
5%
Lover
5%
The Uninvited
3%
Peace Is Broken
13%
Calm The Fire
2%
Waters Rising
8%
Farther Than The Sun
22%
Cry A River
22%
All Ends Well
11%
Fortress
3%

Total votes: 148

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Re: Least "Best" song on Fortress

Post by Kreuger33 »

nagpo wrote:Oddly enough I gotta say Fortress. It just doesn't catch me like the other songs do.
It's a slow grower. I wasn't big on it at first either. It's not exactly "catchy". It seems more of a technical showpoint, in a sense.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I know it's an unpopular opinion but I'm still not quite there with the title track myself. I like it but I certainly don't love it. My biggest gripe is the lack of transition between the bridge/solo section and the last verse. Like you have this sick chugging metal section and then it just abruptly ends and the clean guitar just fades back in. It feels a little (and don't crucify me for this but) 'lazy'. I think having that heavy section at the end of the song would've benefited it or if it was in the center of the song I'm sure there's some sort of Metallica 'And Justice For All'esque transition that could have tied the two parts together a little more neatly.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Unfortunately I think i'm going to go with All Ends Well. I love Myles' vocals in it, and i'm a sucker for an AB ballad, but I just enjoy the high energy stuff so much more.

Suvi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Suvi »

Now that I have listened the album many many times I have to change my opinion. I voted Peace is broken but now I like it a lot. Very hard to choose.. Outright would be the least best but it's not on the list so I have to choose Farther than the sun.

Decay

Post by Decay »

Yeah, man. ''Even my least favorite sounds so badass!'' - Something that Timo said and I totally agree!

Suvi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Suvi »

:yeahthat

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

NytestrykerZ wrote:I know it's an unpopular opinion but I'm still not quite there with the title track myself. I like it but I certainly don't love it. My biggest gripe is the lack of transition between the bridge/solo section and the last verse. Like you have this sick chugging metal section and then it just abruptly ends and the clean guitar just fades back in. It feels a little (and don't crucify me for this but) 'lazy'. I think having that heavy section at the end of the song would've benefited it or if it was in the center of the song I'm sure there's some sort of Metallica 'And Justice For All'esque transition that could have tied the two parts together a little more neatly.
My issue with the title track is the false ending. Really, they should've just stopped it there. That riff was a perfect ending, IMO.

Edit: I realize that's kind of what you said too.

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Almost every song on this album is great. Some are "only" good, e.g. The Uninvited and Cry A River. One is, if at all, decent - and that's Farther Than The Sun. One of the weakest songs Alter Bridge have ever released in my opinion. I don't get into it and I doubt that this will change in the future.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I actually thought FTTS was one of the weaker tracks until recently as well. I've been listening to it lately, though, and I'm kind of starting to love it. I thought there were four 'weak' tracks on the album: AtP, Peace Is Broken, Cry A River, and FTTS. Now FTTS is one of my favorites. Just something about it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

When I first heard the album I didn't care for FTTS that much. It's a great live song though, and now it's probably one of my favourites from Fortress, although I do think the tempo could be slightly increased.

The only song from Fortress I dislike is Peace Is Broken, I can see why others dislike Cry A River, but I think it's cool, it has a nice groove.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

That's what I think about FTTS. The chorus especially has a nice groove.

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

Every song brings something different and i love every single song. But i have to say the two that don't stick out the most for me and are the most 'skippable' are Cry a River and Bleed it Dry, even from my very first listen of the album it never hooked me. I do love them though, just not as much compared to the other tracks.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I listen to BiD every now and then just to hear that solo. Beautiful.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

"least best" gets me every time

AliceMudgarden
White Knuckled

Post by AliceMudgarden »

Cry a River and Farther Than the Sun are the only 2 tracks I don't care for. Every other song ranges from good to great.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I'm not digging the uninvited as much as I used too. It's still really great and all, but I skip it every now and then.
Thanks Timo!

ESPImperium
Bought The CDs

Post by ESPImperium »

Is there a bad song???

I love them all, but all for different reasons.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Not really. The only part of the album I outright dislike is the chorus of Cry A River. The rest of the song and album are great.

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

Jim wrote:"least best" gets me every time
:lol

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I don't think there's necessarily a weak track on the album, but the song I listen to the least is All Ends Well