All Ends Well

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

All Ends Well

Post by BennyWhatever »

Is it just me, or is there a ton of pitch correction in this song? I listened to the album on headphones, and Myles' voice jumped out at me in this song as being modulated in some way. It's almost as if the song was recorded a half-step down, and Elvis digitally pitched it up.

Does anyone else notice this? It's bothering the heck out of me.
:yeahthat

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: All Ends Well

Post by austinjhnsn »

I don't think Myles or any of AB would do that. If they want to play it live eventually why would they record it in a fashion he can't sing efficiently.
Thanks Timo!

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

You know the a quite a few moments on the album that I've sort of double-taken at because they sound a pitch corrected. I can't name them off hand but 'The Uninvited' and 'Waters Rising' are the main ones. Would surprise me though. You can only really hear it through good headphones.

Tom
Jim's Brother

Post by Tom »

i adore this song, pitch correction or not, it's a masterpiece

PiggySmallz
TABN.com Citizen

Post by PiggySmallz »

any parts in particular? Its possible some of it was adjusted slightly, but you could also be hearing layered vocals creating a chorus effect. I'd be interested to see where you hear it

Gfunk839
Brand New Start

Post by Gfunk839 »

:mkrules Don't know about that .. but the chorus vocals are incredible

ALTERSTEVE
Isolated

Post by ALTERSTEVE »

Still an incredible song.

LadyJuliaJoanne
TABN.com Citizen

Post by LadyJuliaJoanne »

ALTERSTEVE wrote:Still an incredible song.
:yeahthat :mkrules :mtrocks

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Pitch correction or not, I still love this song. The chorus is so damn catchy and Myles sounds great
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

BUK
White Knuckled

Post by BUK »

PS iTunes US has this far and away the most downloaded track on the CD.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Yeah besides ATP, this is a popular song on iTunes. Should be a fourth single or something.
Thanks Timo!

prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Post by prslover »

Alls I know is I was in tears when I first heard it. Tears of happiness.

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

PiggySmallz wrote:any parts in particular? Its possible some of it was adjusted slightly, but you could also be hearing layered vocals creating a chorus effect. I'd be interested to see where you hear it
It's most of the song that I hear it, but the verse in particular.

Like I said, I don't think this is pitch correction in the sense that Myles couldn't hit any notes - I know he can because this isn't that hard of a song to sing. It sounds like they recorded it a half step down, then the producer digitally transposed it up a half step. When that happens, it's hard to notice for instruments, but the vocals slightly change a bit in timber. Myles' timber just doesn't sound correct.

I know Shinedown did this for Second Chance - on the album, it was in one key, then they brought it up a half step to be more "radio friendly" on the pop stations (though unchanged for rock stations). It drove me nuts because it was super obvious for anyone that has heard the original version. In this situation, we've never heard what the original key is (if not unchanged), so it's not as easy to spot.

The other option is just Myles' voice was over-compressed to get a more radio-friendly sound for this song. That isn't uncommon - most songs on pop stations are so over-compressed that people are used to hearing songs that way. It really affects the timber of the vocalist though to make them sound more tinny & digitized than they should.

Ah, well... just me being nit-picky I guess. I do really like the song. It just sounds like they put forth extra effort in post production to make it sound more like pop radio, which is the opposite direction I wish they'd go. I miss the old clean sound.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Well, this song is really catchy and powerful but it brings nothing new to the AB catalogue. It would definitely do well on the radio but it's a younger brother of LMGO or WL.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger33
Loyal Follower

Post by Kreuger33 »

I must be deaf, because it sounds normal to me.

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

Well like I said, it's nit-picky. I did audio production for vocals for 2 years in college, so I notice this shit.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

BennyWhatever wrote:Well like I said, it's nit-picky. I did audio production for vocals for 2 years in college, so I notice this shit.
I love ya Benny, but sometimes I'm glad I don't have ears like yours.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

I don't hear it at all. I also can't see how you can tell his timber has changed having not heard the original (if it's been changed). At what stage would this happen? Mastering? Mixing?
Photobucket cash grab.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

BennyWhatever wrote: I know Shinedown did this for Second Chance - on the album, it was in one key, then they brought it up a half step to be more "radio friendly" on the pop stations (though unchanged for rock stations). It drove me nuts because it was super obvious for anyone that has heard the original version. In this situation, we've never heard what the original key is (if not unchanged), so it's not as easy to spot..
Does bringing up a song half a step make it more accesible? I understand that the really low stuff can alienate some regular listeners, but a half step?
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

BennyWhatever
Loyal Follower

Post by BennyWhatever »

Timotheus wrote:
BennyWhatever wrote: I know Shinedown did this for Second Chance - on the album, it was in one key, then they brought it up a half step to be more "radio friendly" on the pop stations (though unchanged for rock stations). It drove me nuts because it was super obvious for anyone that has heard the original version. In this situation, we've never heard what the original key is (if not unchanged), so it's not as easy to spot..
Does bringing up a song half a step make it more accesible? I understand that the really low stuff can alienate some regular listeners, but a half step?
It may not have been a half step. I know it was higher though. I think Second Chance is in Cm, so hell idk. I know I have heard two versions of the song, and one was higher than the other. A half step would be kind of weird though.... c#m?

And Ryan, it's more his timber in that song is different than any other song. It's like, if audio could be pixelated, that's what it would sound like. It would have been done in mastering when they take things through compressors.

Again, I could be wrong - it could be that it was just compressed down more than other songs (with maybe some digital chorus done first). It's just what it sounds like.