The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AHart96
Rise Today

Re: The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

Post by AHart96 »

After only 3 listens, this is my early ranking of the entire album. Enjoyed it more than any AB album after the first few listens. May end up being my all-time favorite album. Its just so consistent and I don't really think there are any filler songs. Some songs are interchangeable and I'm sure my rankings will be different as I listen to it more.
1. Cry of Achilles-DAMN that chorus, may be the best they've ever written. Love the classical intro leading to this epic song. The bass line after the chorus leaing into the bridge is awesome as well. May be my new favorite AB song period.
2. Calm the Fire-absolutely love this song. Melody is great, its got a catchy chorus, and the lyrics are amazing. I felt every word that Myles sang and the fact that this song is about racism makes it much more special, at least in my book
3. The Uninvited-this song hasn't gotten as much love as I thought it would, which is disappointing. The intro makes me feel like I'm on a bad acid trip, and then the riff just blew me away. Great lyrics and a catchy chorus.
4. Fortress-phenominal song. While it's not Blackbird-level, there are parts of the song that definitely remind me of it. I actually like Myles' solos more than Mark's, which I didn't say in Blackbird.
5. All Ends Well-if it weren't for Cry of Achilles, this would be my favorite chorus on the album. This will be a MASSIVE hit in the US if they eventually release it as a single. Very thoughtful lyric and this may be the best Myles sounds on the album.
6. Addicted to Pain-this may be older than all the other songs, but I still love it. Its the most straightforward rock song on here, but it's my favorite song guitar wise. The first verse is amazing.
7. Lover-very interesting song. Definitely different for AB, but I dig it. It has a real MF4 vibe to it.
8. Waters Rising-wasn't a huge fan after 1 listen, but it's really grown on me since then. Not a big fan of the first half of the song, but gets much better when the 2nd chorus starts.
9. Cry a River-love this riff. I'm surprised a lot of people aren't fans of it. While the chorus may not be the best, I love the verses and the bridge.
10. Bleed it Dry-let me explain. Yes the solo is epic. Yes, the main riff is awesome, the lyrics are good, and I love the verses and pre-chorus. However, the chorus falls flat on its face. They set it up for something huge in the verses, and I was very disappointed. Some people don't like the more anthemic choruses AB are known for, but this was a somg that really would have been better with it.
11. Peace is Broken-it's not a bad song by any means, but it just doesnt stand out much. Dig the vocals, but other than that not much I can remember that stood out.
12. Farther Than the Sun-the weakest song on the album IMO. Could be swapped with Peace is Broken. This song would be much better if they fixed the chorus a little bit. Its good, I just don't like the way Myles pronounces some of the words in there. If they did that, it would probably be a bit higher on the list.
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

Seriously people, why is Peace is Broken track 11 on the Youtube stream, but number 6 on the other streams (and on official tracklist)?

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I don't know, but that confused me when I first heard it. Peace is Broken should NOT be put in between All Ends Well and Fortress. That screwed the flow up.
Thanks Timo!

MylesKennedyIsGod
White Knuckled

Post by MylesKennedyIsGod »

julio wrote:Seriously people, why is Peace is Broken track 11 on the Youtube stream, but number 6 on the other streams (and on official tracklist)?
No idea...but in my opinion, Calm the Fire flows better after The Uninvited compared to after Peace is Broken
Thanks DonHarry!

MylesKennedyIsGod
White Knuckled

Post by MylesKennedyIsGod »

Especially due to the meaning of The Uninvited
Thanks DonHarry!

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

I want to see that :lol

Merinda
Sig Queen

Post by Merinda »

^ OMG I WANT!

I'm incredibly inspired by this album at the moment. I don't know what to do with myselfffff.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Alright guys, I'm starting to dig the title track. Reading the lyrics definitely helped.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

It's a grower. Went from not really digging it to putting it in my top five for this album.

wyrdo
Brand New Start

Post by wyrdo »

NytestrykerZ wrote:Alright guys, I'm starting to dig the title track. Reading the lyrics definitely helped.
It's definitely growing on me the more I listen to it!

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

When that intro solo starts in Lover, it's got sorta an AIC vibe...
Thanks Timo!

uctalum01
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by uctalum01 »

Felipesh wrote:Image

I want to see that :lol
LMFAO!!! that pic of Myles! :lol :mkrules

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Bleed it dry, leave us here with nothing!

Inconquerable
Rise Today

Post by Inconquerable »

austinjhnsn wrote:When that intro solo starts in Lover, it's got sorta an AIC vibe...
Everything about the song up until Myles starts singing (so what, 20 seconds maximum?) reminded me of Time by Big Wreck. I think they're probably the same guitar chords or something. Forgive my terminology if it's off, I know next to nothing about music on a technical basis. =P

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Hey, good call. Similar opening chords, guitar tone and strum pattern. It deviates pretty quickly though.

jripper420

Post by jripper420 »

Have to say I was rather harsh after my first listen but now I really like this Album. I can start to hear a lot of One Day Remains meets the new heavier sound. I like it. Th album is definitively a grower. The more I listen the more I like. Even one of my buddies who has had nothing but negative things to say about AB's previous albums loves the direction theyve gone and I am starting to appreciate the new song myself. Honestly if they dont do this they will get stale. As much as I love their other CD's this is thier best collective effort. I like it more than any of there other CD's because they have lost that Creed sound and now have their own unique blend of hard rock and metal. My only complaint has to do with the production value which was much improved over AB3 and I wish they could have spent more time on the hooks in the songs. I still love the new Album. My favorite three songs are: Achilles Last Stand, Calm the Fire and the Uninvited. Don't really care for the slower songs, they sound out of pkace.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Loving the activity around here guys!

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

jripper420 wrote:My favorite three songs are: Achilles Last Stand, Calm the Fire and the Uninvited.
:P
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Technically, that's missing an '