The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Re: The 4th Album - FORTRESS - Discuss The Album Here!

Post by Timotheus »

I absolutely love those parts!

I feel like I'm repeating myself a lot the last few posts :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Decay

Post by Decay »

I don't like it. I love it. Bleed It Dry is excellent. :D

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Bleed it Dry is one of my favorites! :) Such a good album.
Thanks Timo!

Decay

Post by Decay »

Such a brilliant album, if you will... :)

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Both are an understatement. Words can't describe how I feel about this album.
Thanks Timo!

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I've just realised that some parts of Waters Rising sound a lot like Make it Right, especially chorus and end of the solo.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Off topic, but I remember listening to ABIII and since I torrented it (later bought it, but I was poor and 16) and my iPod chord in my car wasn't working, I burned a disc. The track numbers were all messed up and I only knew the name of Isolation. I listened to the full CD, and the one song that stood out to me at that moment was "Make It Right."

How this pertains to Fortress: I wish I would have done that with this album. That way, I would've had no idea which song was which until the name was mentioned in the track. Instead, we all have these pre-conceived notions as to which songs we'd enjoy. But this way, those notions are thrown out the window and all you have is the music. Wish I would've done that.

But, I didn't. And it doesn't matter because all the songs have something I like :)

MylesKennedyIsGod
White Knuckled

Post by MylesKennedyIsGod »

I know Mark and Myles said this isn't meant to be a reflection of American/World politics, but damn, every time I listen to Bleed It Dry and The Uninvited I can't help but see them as a shot toward George Bush 43/Dick Cheney/American war mongers (The Uninvited)/the two party system in America (Bleed it Dry)/the very wealthy in the US (The Uninvited/Bleed it Dry). And maybe that's just the political junky in me (I don't want to start a political argument here hahaha), but I see it plain as day.

But I digress. This album is fucking amazing. All I wanted it to be. Just wish Farther Than The Sun lived up to the hype it was getting. Wasn't near as hard as I thought it was gonna be.
Thanks DonHarry!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Listening to Bleed it Dry right now. Still holding strong to the opinion that the solo is one of the best I've heard from Tremonti, but the rest of the song is lacking.

Fortress is REALLLY warming up to me though. One of my favorites now

Decay

Post by Decay »

dolo1993 wrote:I've just realised that some parts of Waters Rising sound a lot like Make it Right, especially chorus and end of the solo.
That's what I've been thinking all this time. What a great tune!

Heretic
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Heretic »

Really fantastic album. Not sure it beats One Day Remains, but it's better than both Blackbird and ABIII. Love the experimentation and the lengths they went to push the barriers of their sound. So pleased with the album.

kadude
Brand New Start

Post by kadude »

You guys must be superhuman to be able to hear quality difference above 320kbs, or maybe I just have bad genes? Idk..

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

^ Having good speakers/headphones helps a lot ;)
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I'm taking a few days off from this album. Just listened to it for the 5th time and I'm really confused. I'm gonna see that I will think about it after a few days.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

I've had about 3 listens now and I feel comfortable in making a few observations about specific songs.

Cry Of Achilles: Still wrapping my head around this one. It's a corker.

Addicted To Pain: Fits like a glove as track 2. What seemed experimental for AB a few months ago now comes across as one of the more straightforward songs on the record.

Bleed It Dry: Love the way the chorus explodes out of nowhere, like a lightning strike. The second half of the song is particularly interesting. Unlike much of Blackbird, the bluesiness works here. It's not shoehorned in.

Lover: Excellent choice to begin with the chorus. I didn't quite grasp the song on the first listen but it really took me by surprise the second time around. The chorus melody is so simple, but so unique and continues to catch me off guard. Anthemic and kind of sexy.

The Uninvited: Love, love, love that riff. The chorus is underwhelming, but the song is enjoyable as a whole. It's more about atmosphere than structure or melody, which is an interesting approach.

Peace Is Broken: That nasty machine gun riff makes the song. The chorus isn't anything to write home about, but while it might be the weakest song on the record, it's better than much of AB III.

Calm The Fire: The galloping rhythm is indeed very different for Alter Bridge. Myles' vocals are great here and the track features one of his better lyrics on the album.

Waters Rising: Still trying to figure this one out. Liked it on the first listen, but not so much after that.

Farther Than The Sun: Not one of the more memorable tracks here, but it's energetic and I like the vocal melody in the chorus - particularly what Myles does with the words "belong" and "gone."

Cry A River: Hasn't made a major impression on me so far, but I like it well enough. The riff vaguely reminds me of "Unforgiven."

All Ends Well: That chorus.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/z1DzZ7oShl4[/youtube]

Fortress: I like its ambition but it hasn't blown me away yet. The tempo changes are nice, though.

Overall, I'm really glad to see them move away from the nu-metal sludge of Blackbird and the mid-tempo blandness of the middle of ABIII. It has the classic rock feel of ODR, but it's way more advanced than that. I suspect it will become even more enjoyable once I'm able to sing along.
Last edited by scarecrow on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I was on the bus this morning (on my way to the job-centre, being un-employed is so much fun, sigh) and I was listening to Cry of Achilles. Man, that was the most epic bus-ride ever :lol

Roneit
Loyal Follower

Post by Roneit »

I am surprise with the amount of good reviews this album is receiving.

This site in particullary (http://www.metalsucks.net/2013/09/24/ne ... -hardrock/) always talks shit about AB, and, they said just good things about Fortress. I dont know if any of you guys know this site, but for the amount of shit they said in the past (about AB), I imaged it was hard to "bend over" to the awesomeness that Fortress is.

Even, there are always someone that says something like "generic as fuck". I hate those people.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Dan Dando wrote:I was on the bus this morning (on my way to the job-centre, being un-employed is so much fun, sigh) and I was listening to Cry of Achilles. Man, that was the most epic bus-ride ever :lol
On Sunday I've got a 3 hour train ride in the morning and a 2 hour one at night. Never looked forward to being on a train alone so much! That reminds me, I may need to find an, erm, alternative to this stream...
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Ubik wrote:
Dan Dando wrote:I was on the bus this morning (on my way to the job-centre, being un-employed is so much fun, sigh) and I was listening to Cry of Achilles. Man, that was the most epic bus-ride ever :lol
On Sunday I've got a 3 hour train ride in the morning and a 2 hour one at night. Never looked forward to being on a train alone so much! That reminds me, I may need to find an, erm, alternative to this stream...
Epic train rides await you, sir! :peace

An alternative? I have no idea what you mean :shifty

Felipesh
Loyal Follower

Post by Felipesh »

http://www.youtube.com/user/alterbridge/videos

Making Of 'The Uninvited' blocked
Making Of 'Cry Of Achilles' blocked
'Addicted To Pain' blocked

What the fuck man