Amps & Other Guitar Gear

A place for our musicians to talk about equipment, technique, theory, etc.
Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Amps & Other Guitar Gear

Post by Andy92 »

Why not?

Talk all about your amps in here!

I'm personally using a Roland Cube so hopefully some of you can bring more interesting convos to the table haha.
Last edited by Andy92 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Amps

Post by abw1987 »

Here's what I've got:
  • Mesa Boogie F-50
  • Johnson Millennium JM150
  • Behringer Ultracoustic ACX1000
  • Crate GX-15R
  • Marshall MS-2 (lol)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Actually been eying the Mesa F series for a while now. The F-30 and F-50 seem like really solid amps. The DC-5 seems cool too with the 5 band EQ. Do you consider the F-50 your go to amp?

And one of my professors at school has the Johnson Millennium JM150. That is like the baddest modeling amp I've ever come across lol.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

The F-50 is one of the smoothest amps I've ever heard. The clean tones are warm and crisp, and the dirty channel is sublime. My only complaint is that it doesn't quite have the grit that I want to hear when playing AB-type music.

The Johnson Millennium is a whole other ball game. I honestly can't believe how well it models such a wide variety of amps.

Tough to say which is my go-to. I probably play one for six months, then I swap the other one out of the closet and play that for six months. Though I suppose that'll all change next month once I get a place with a second bedroom (AKA music room)!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The Millennium cost over 1k when it first came out I think. The used market is around $500 now if you can catch an eBay listing for one. It really is impressive for a modeling amp.

Have you tried messing with some effects on the dirt channel of your F-50? A 10 band EQ and a tube screamer in front can really help with added attack. You won't be at Dual Rec status, but it can help some.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I don't have an EQ or a tube screamer, but I do use a Boss Overdrive pedal on my leads, which helps a bit.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I hear a lot of people like turning the drive down to 0 on overdrive pedals when using them on an amp with a lot of gain on tap already. They just use the level and tone pots to help tighten things up. I know you're never going to actually nail Mark's tone with an F-50, but eh, that's why we make our own tone. ;)

Alasdair
Brand New Start

Post by Alasdair »

I use a Boss GE-7 live for leads, boost my signal heaps, and being able to customize the frequencies is great. Works really well.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I've heard good things about the MXR 10 band EQ as well. I think EQs are some of the most underrated pedals around.

Went ahead and edited the thread title since we got off on pedals as well haha.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I have a Line 6 Spider IV that I used exactly once. I went through a "I'm gonna be Tremonti" phase for about 5 minutes. I think I strummed maybe 4 time and decided it wasn't for me. lol

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Re: Amps & Other Guitar Gear

Post by Andy92 »

Cause you had a Spider :P

I can't say much though, my amp's in about the same category. Just lose interest in guitar though? I actually started on acoustic and fell in love with the more singer/songwriter side of music. I play my electric clean most of the time as well. The music I enjoy playing doesn't really match up with what I listen to the most.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Early '70s ('73 I believe) Fender Pro Reverb. I love this amp. Can't beat Fender cleans.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

I have a Fender Mustang III and I love it. I haven't been in a serious band in a while (though I'm working on changing that) and so it works great for practice and recording. If I did start playing bars it would easily do the job for that too. It rocks for recording though because it's a digital amp but doesn't sound too much like one. I really love all the tones and effects I can get out of it!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

NytestrykerZ wrote:Early '70s ('73 I believe) Fender Pro Reverb. I love this amp. Can't beat Fender cleans.
Blackface? Jealous.
Jaded Rescue wrote:I have a Fender Mustang III and I love it. I haven't been in a serious band in a while (though I'm working on changing that) and so it works great for practice and recording. If I did start playing bars it would easily do the job for that too. It rocks for recording though because it's a digital amp but doesn't sound too much like one. I really love all the tones and effects I can get out of it!
Mustangs are definitely good quality for the price point. One of the better digital amps in that range imo.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Andy92 wrote: Mustangs are definitely good quality for the price point. One of the better digital amps in that range imo.
Exactly! I just hate how it crossfades when you change channels. Kills the mood in a live setting.

Serialkillerpit
Brand New Start

Post by Serialkillerpit »

Guitar: Epiphone Les Paul Custom 100.
Amp: Laney LG12.
Others: Dunlop Cry Baby GCB95.
RP 55, Modeling Guitar Processor.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Since this thread has been expanded to encompass "Other Guitar Gear", I'll go ahead and post my effects pedals:
  • T-Rex Tremonti Phaser
  • Morley Tremonti Power Wah
  • Boss DS-1 Distortion
  • Boss OD-3 Overdrive
  • Boss BF-2 Flanger

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

I have a Black PRS Singlecut SE, a Samick Artist Series Les Paul copy, and a cheap 25w amp that I hate, made by Stone. I also have a Digitech RP150 processor that I mess with but I am not real happy with that either. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a sound that I really like.

I want to get one of those Roland Cube's, I hear they are pretty good for the price.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Vaux wrote:I have a Black PRS Singlecut SE, a Samick Artist Series Les Paul copy, and a cheap 25w amp that I hate, made by Stone. I also have a Digitech RP150 processor that I mess with but I am not real happy with that either. I'm having a lot of trouble finding a sound that I really like.

I want to get one of those Roland Cube's, I hear they are pretty good for the price.
Have a specific budget for an amp? Roland Cubes are pretty good practice amps for high gain. I have one. Starts to sound kinda bad when you turn the volume up though.

bringthebass
Brand New Start

Post by bringthebass »

Here's how close I got to Mark's live clean tone the other day. I should repost it because I got it even better today.
[youtube]http://youtu.be/V9-6BSHN8Wc[/youtube]