68%
No
33%

Total votes: 40

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Should Scott Stapp form a new band ?

Post by chtimixeur »

His solo album is probably never getting released because of Wind-up.
Mark and the other guys have a couple of other projects, and Creed doesn't look like a priority for Mark at all.
So my question is simple : do you think Scott Stapp should form a new band ?

My answer is YES.
This way, he will be able to get some new music out (no Wind-up to ruin his career anymore).
Scott needs a new project to fill his time when the other guys are doing their thing. This way it won't feel like he's waiting for them, and it will help his keep his voice strong (and possibily avoid depression).
But, he has to find talented musicians who can share the songwriting duties. The guys he's touring with for his solo dates are clearly not good enough, and IMHO, he needs to find way better musicians.
He also has to stop singing Creed songs with this new band, whenever they perform live.

I would really love him to be successful again. He's a great frontman, but he can't keep wasting his good years like he's done since 2007. He's not getting any younger, and now is the time to release some good music.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Should Scott Stapp form a new band ?

Post by NytestrykerZ »

I think he might as well keep going under the banner of 'Scott Stapp' right now. The name is recognizable as 'the voice of Creed' and people that know him are going to keep coming out to shows. Also, if he keeps some Creed songs in the set it keeps them happy. When I saw him live a couple years ago the crowd didn't seem particularly receptive to TGD songs but then when he launched into a Creed standard people would lose their shit.

Also, I find the problem with singers joining up with members of already established bands is they rarely become more than a sum of their parts. Sure, Alter Bridge has done well and built a name for themselves but they're an exception. I remember a lot of the 'supergroups' that popped up at the same weren't so successful and really not that great.

Definitely agree that he needs more competent musicians though. The group he had before he picked up Eric and Garrett for the acoustic tour were a bunch of hacks.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Who is Scott Stapp? The Velvet Revolver guy?
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

NytestrykerZ wrote:Also, if he keeps some Creed songs in the set it keeps them happy. When I saw him live a couple years ago the crowd didn't seem particularly receptive to TGD songs but then when he launched into a Creed standard people would lose their shit.
Yup, but if he wants a career outside of Creed, he needs to ditch those songs.
Look at Alter bridge : everyone wanted them to play some Creed songs in the early days, and when they refused to do so, if helped them develop a true identity.

Creed was great, but all the songs Scott keeps singing at his solo shows are 10+ years old. It's not like he's 60 or 70 : the dude is not even 40, and he's already become a nostalgia act ! :facepalm

I'm sure he could be sucessful with a new band, but he'd have to put his whole creative energy into it. It's up to him, really : he can't keep on sitting doing nothing for a whole year when the Creed guys aren't there for him.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

I think it would be best for his physical and mental health if he quit the music scene altogether and focused on his personal life. I love Creed and he's a very electric frontman, but he has obviously been battling personal demons for years. I wish him all the best, and sadly I think that means retiring from rock n' roll.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote:
NytestrykerZ wrote:Also, if he keeps some Creed songs in the set it keeps them happy. When I saw him live a couple years ago the crowd didn't seem particularly receptive to TGD songs but then when he launched into a Creed standard people would lose their shit.
Yup, but if he wants a career outside of Creed, he needs to ditch those songs.
Look at Alter bridge : everyone wanted them to play some Creed songs in the early days, and when they refused to do so, if helped them develop a true identity.

Creed was great, but all the songs Scott keeps singing at his solo shows are 10+ years old. It's not like he's 60 or 70 : the dude is not even 40, and he's already become a nostalgia act ! :facepalm

I'm sure he could be sucessful with a new band, but he'd have to put his whole creative energy into it. It's up to him, really : he can't keep on sitting doing nothing for a whole year when the Creed guys aren't there for him.
I agree. He would have to do something different with his usual sound. He could do it with the right band. He'd need to break barriers in his music that he hasn't before. Maybe make it edgier or a sound similar to the classic rock he likes so much.

NytestrykerZ
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by NytestrykerZ »

Don't shoot the messenger but I could see Stapp going country. And being quite successful at it.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I think he should form a new band, but I genuinely can't imagine Scott in another band apart from Creed and under his own name. It just seems weird to me.

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

I think he should start another band, but this time do new stuff and not play Creed tunes. Separate it from that. Not that musicians he's had in the past are bad, but they're just not Mark, Brian, and Flip.
Photobucket cash grab.

GazEd
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by GazEd »

NytestrykerZ wrote:Don't shoot the messenger but I could see Stapp going country. And being quite successful at it.
Just like aaron Lewis, right?

No, Stappy shall not form a new band and he would only do well in a supergroup indeed.

Maybe he should have joined Drowning Pool? :crazy
I saw lation
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013
Helsingin Jäähalli, Helsinki, 14 November 2019

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

I'd like that but I think he'd not ran out form the Creed sound as he didn't solo, so I don't think if it'd work perfectly.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

What Alex said. 100%

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

I agree mostly with Alex. Retirement? No... but his main priorities should be his sobriety, good health & family. Continue the solo stuff with a better band & when the time comes reunite with the guys for another Creed album.

PS: Ditch Wind Up.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Everyone should ditch Wind Up..

Violent Corpse
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Violent Corpse »

You're telling me he still hasn't called it quits?

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Stapp should join a new band after taking a few years to deal with his demons.

When he does return, I can see him doing great things with a big band. Completely different sound and song structure. and sign to a different label....
Thanks Andy!

RuRo
Loyal Follower

Post by RuRo »

No.

Creed was my favourite band before they originally split up, I think Scott Stapp is a great singer, but I can't really see him doing anything better than average on his own. The quality of whatever he did with a new band would basically depend on the talent of the musicians he gets together with (it was mainly Mark that was behind the music for Creed - Scott Stapp would probably need someone to fulfil a similar role now). And he doesn't seem the type to be able to form a new band. As far as I know he hasn't really worked with or had any connection with many musicians other than the members of Creed (the other musicians on his solo album were relative unknowns, who I'd imagine were just session musicians although I could be wrong). So I don't imagine he has many people he can easily call up and ask if they want to form a band - never mind good musicians who will be able to take responsibility for the bulk of the writing.

Again, Scott Stapp was one of my favourite singers and he was one of the main reasons I got into Creed, but I think Scott Stapp was just kind of lucky that he teamed up with Mark and the others at university and they were a band that worked. Not that they wasn't lucky to team up with Scott Stapp, but it seems inevitable that someone like Mark Tremonti would have ended up in a band, basically doing what he's doing now (if no where near as popular) even if he hadn't had that sudden success with Creed. That doesn't strike me as being so true for Scott Stapp - I think he was the right man in the right place at the right time for Creed to happen, but not necessarily someone that'd be able to be the driving force behind a band in any other circumstances. That's what he'd have to do now, and somehow I just don't see it.

That's all just my impressions / speculations / opinions. I suppose from his point of view he should form a band with other musicians and write some good material for it. I just don't see it happening, couldn't see it being particularly good if it did, and am not holding my breath for it.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

He looks and sounds pretty good without Creed. I think he should make something he'd want to. A different style, maybe.
http://youtu.be/lXZ5cBY-Vdg
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Wow, that wasn't too bad! Surround Me has always been one of my favorites from his solo album.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

julio
Isolated

Post by julio »

I think Wind-up has Stapp by his balls. I imagine Stapp can't form a new band b/c Windup wouldn't approve it.