What grinds your gears?

Talk about anything and everything here.
User avatar
Dan Dando
On The Rail
Posts: 1665
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Wales, UK.

Re: I'm only 32 dammit!

Post by Dan Dando »

zazthespaz wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 pm Getting old. As I was taking my backpack off in the gym today, as I do everyday, I somehow threw out my shoulder so I couldn't do anything aside from cardio. Somehow it's gotten worse since I got home. :shrug
AB23 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:04 pm I still do that with my back sometimes. It happens a lot when I'm setting a plate down on the ground after a set. When I'm transitioning from just lifting a very heavy weight, to nothing at all, the transition unleashes something fierce on my lower back.

I wish I could describe the pain.
Maybe worth trying a bit of yoga?

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: I'm only 32 dammit!

Post by TenaciousBe »

Dan Dando wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:29 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 pm Getting old. As I was taking my backpack off in the gym today, as I do everyday, I somehow threw out my shoulder so I couldn't do anything aside from cardio. Somehow it's gotten worse since I got home. :shrug
AB23 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:04 pm I still do that with my back sometimes. It happens a lot when I'm setting a plate down on the ground after a set. When I'm transitioning from just lifting a very heavy weight, to nothing at all, the transition unleashes something fierce on my lower back.

I wish I could describe the pain.
Maybe worth trying a bit of yoga?
DDPYoga, my dudes. There's a bit of over the top "motivational speaker" mumbo jumbo in there at times, which can feel corny, but the moveset is fantastic. I've been doing this (off and on) for about 8 years now and every time I get done, I ask myself "why don't I do this more often? I feel amazing!"

http://www.ddpyoganow.com
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Dolo
Burn It Down
Posts: 2308
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Lublin, Poland

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Dolo »

Contact lenses. I've been wearing them for almost 4 years but I never seem to understand the 'mechanics' of them. Why is it that sometimes I put them on and one of them seems not to fit entirely and it's like you've got a grain of sand right on your eye? For the most part, they fit okay but every now and then it drives me nuts and I end up fixing it 4-5 times before they actually sit quite nice.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

User avatar
AHart96
Rise Today
Posts: 3606
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:16 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by AHart96 »

Dolo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:09 pm Contact lenses. I've been wearing them for almost 4 years but I never seem to understand the 'mechanics' of them. Why is it that sometimes I put them on and one of them seems not to fit entirely and it's like you've got a grain of sand right on your eye? For the most part, they fit okay but every now and then it drives me nuts and I end up fixing it 4-5 times before they actually sit quite nice.
This. Been wearing them for almost 8 years now and they will still be a problem for me on a semi-regular basis
Image
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

User avatar
Crumbso
On The Rail
Posts: 1572
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Crumbso »

AHart96 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:45 pm
Dolo wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:09 pm Contact lenses. I've been wearing them for almost 4 years but I never seem to understand the 'mechanics' of them. Why is it that sometimes I put them on and one of them seems not to fit entirely and it's like you've got a grain of sand right on your eye? For the most part, they fit okay but every now and then it drives me nuts and I end up fixing it 4-5 times before they actually sit quite nice.
This. Been wearing them for almost 8 years now and they will still be a problem for me on a semi-regular basis
I wore them for a couple of years but gave up and just went back to glasses. Would consider laser surgery now my eyesight seems to have not changed for something like 10 years.
Image

Dolo
Burn It Down
Posts: 2308
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Lublin, Poland

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Dolo »

Something that I find helpful is when you soak a lens in the liquid, you then place it on the tip of your first finger and you rub it with your thumb for a while. The surface of it kinda straightens, you put it back in the box to soak it in the liquid again and then you put it in the eye. Worked for me today at least.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by TenaciousBe »

I used to have a hell of a time getting my contacts just to go on my eyeball rather than sticking to my finger. I found that the secret (at least for me) is to have just the edge of the lens touching my fingertip, with the rest perched off - as though holding a plate by the edge rather than holding it up from underneath. For some reason, if I have the whole lens on my fingertip, it never wants to transfer off to my eyeball, just sticks to my finger.

As for wearing them, I rarely have an issue there - but occasionally it feels like the edge of the lens is somewhere in my line of vision, so I get a little blurry/double vision if I look too far to one side. But that's pretty rare.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Dolo
Burn It Down
Posts: 2308
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Lublin, Poland

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Dolo »

Well, it's not really about the technique of putting them in, I haven't had problems with it for a long time (it was a nightmare at the very beginning though) it's that they don't sit well as soon as they are in. But yeah, sometimes I get the blurry vision too but I've got astigmatism.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

User avatar
zazthespaz
Kumar
Posts: 13793
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am

Re: Instead of habitually checking TABN for no reason

Post by zazthespaz »

TenaciousBe wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:56 pm
Dan Dando wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:29 pm
zazthespaz wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:45 pm Getting old. As I was taking my backpack off in the gym today, as I do everyday, I somehow threw out my shoulder so I couldn't do anything aside from cardio. Somehow it's gotten worse since I got home. :shrug
AB23 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:04 pm I still do that with my back sometimes. It happens a lot when I'm setting a plate down on the ground after a set. When I'm transitioning from just lifting a very heavy weight, to nothing at all, the transition unleashes something fierce on my lower back.

I wish I could describe the pain.
Maybe worth trying a bit of yoga?
DDPYoga, my dudes. There's a bit of over the top "motivational speaker" mumbo jumbo in there at times, which can feel corny, but the moveset is fantastic. I've been doing this (off and on) for about 8 years now and every time I get done, I ask myself "why don't I do this more often? I feel amazing!"

http://www.ddpyoganow.com
Sorry, kept forgetting to respond to this - thanks for the suggestion on yoga guys. Definitely worth considering and looking into, especially as someone working from home. I wouldn't mind breaking up the workday with some yoga exercises in between tasks for work.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Online
User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 9398
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

dealing with fraudulent charges on your credit card

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7872
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by gbruin »

iTunes putting the wrong album covers on my downloads on my iPhone.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by TenaciousBe »

Having 5 redfoot tortoises, planning to start a breeding colony, only to find out that 4 of them have swingin' weiners. The 5th looks like a female, but so did 2 of the males and look how that turned out. :/ We could buy them as adults, so we know for sure, but we wanted to raise them up ourselves so we know they're healthy and happy. Sigh.

On the plus side, the boys like to hump each other. A lot. So at least that's entertaining.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

User avatar
Crumbso
On The Rail
Posts: 1572
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Crumbso »

TenaciousBe wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:24 pm On the plus side, the boys like to hump each other. A lot. So at least that's entertaining.
'Tis the modern world after all. LGBTT (The last T is for Tortoise).
Image

User avatar
Dan Dando
On The Rail
Posts: 1665
Joined: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:39 am
Location: Wales, UK.

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Dan Dando »

“Put some respect on (whoever’s) name.”

This grinds my gears so much. Why do people use the English language like that?

Online
User avatar
SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON
Posts: 9398
Joined: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:27 pm
Location: TABN

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Getting errors while trying to post things on this board that I'm just trying to copy and paste over from a word document, any idea how to fix it without having to retype out everything all over again?

Dolo
Burn It Down
Posts: 2308
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:51 pm
Location: Lublin, Poland

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by Dolo »

No need to retype it again - try to remove some space between paragraphs, rearrange the message a little bit. No idea why, but it works.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

User avatar
TenaciousBe
On The Rail
Posts: 1777
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:04 pm
Location: Iowa, USA
Contact:

Re: What grinds your gears?

Post by TenaciousBe »

Is it errors when you paste it, or when you go to submit the post? I've noticed that, rather than doing a Ctrl-V to paste, sometimes when you right-click you can "paste as plain text" and maybe that would remove any hidden formatting that's hindering the post?
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

User avatar
zazthespaz
Kumar
Posts: 13793
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am

Re: Or at least her pay.

Post by zazthespaz »

I'm in the last class of my Master's program (wrapping up in 2 weeks after 2 years) and of course it's with the worst professor I've had at this college (possibly ever). She delayed our midterm because she failed to give access to it when she said she would, and then subtly made an announcement that another assignment is due simultaneously. In that announcement, she said the details are in a folder which does not exist (because she copied and pasted from a previous iteration of this class). I emailed her to let her know the assignment is unavailable because it's not showing up in the assignments folder. 24 hours later she emails me back and says to look in the assignments folder (exactly where I said in my email the assignment was missing from) and of course, it's not there. So I emailed her back a screenshot of the entire page showing that the assignment doesn't exist.

For as much schooling as I'm doing/have done to this teacher, they ought to just give me the diploma at this point.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

User avatar
gbruin
MEGLADONG
Posts: 7872
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:27 pm
Location: Highlands Ranch, CO

You actually have a 4D level chess teacher there, zaz.

Post by gbruin »

The best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

User avatar
zazthespaz
Kumar
Posts: 13793
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:12 am

Re: I get paid by the school now, right?

Post by zazthespaz »

gbruin wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:49 pm The best way to learn something is to teach it to someone else.
Just saw I had an email from a classmate asking me where they could find the missing assignment :lol
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Post Reply