Walk The Sky Production Quality.

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Production Quality.

Post by cheesedip1 »

----Open Your Eyes is one of the best songs Alter Bridge has ever done.

----Blackbird is also one of their best songs. However, if you ranked all parts of that song, the chorus would come in last. Everything else in that song is better than the chorus. The pre chorus riff, the verse, the outro, etc.

----Blackbird is not their best album. Too many weaker choruses on that album.....cough.......wayward one, white knuckles, one by one, break me down, coming home, buried alive....etc

-----Also more people could get into the albums of alter bridge probably if the mixing was better.

------Theyre still a great band, regardless of my minor criticisms.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

cheesedip1 wrote:----Open Your Eyes is one of the best songs Alter Bridge has ever done.

----Blackbird is also one of their best songs. However, if you ranked all parts of that song, the chorus would come in last. Everything else in that song is better than the chorus. The pre chorus riff, the verse, the outro, etc.

----Blackbird is not their best album. Too many weaker choruses on that album.....cough.......wayward one, white knuckles, one by one, break me down, coming home, buried alive....etc

-----Also more people could get into the albums of alter bridge probably if the mixing was better.

------Theyre still a great band, regardless of my minor criticisms.
This stuck with me for a second, and as much as I personally enjoy the chorus, I started telling myself one reason I liked it is simply because the power behind Myles' vocal... but then it got me to realize within that there are very few AB choruses since Blackbird (the album) where Myles is mostly flying solo in singing the chorus. Now you either have Mark harmonizing, Myles harmonizing with himself, or both.

Since Blackbird, these are the only songs where you truly feel Myles dominating the vocal soundstage in the choruses or isn't being harmonized with at all (I'm not considering Breathe, Solace, or Cruel Son on this list):

Make It Right
The Uninvited
All Ends Well
The Other Side
Crows On A Wire
Twilight
Pay No Mind

There is definitely harmonization in the chorus for All Ends Well, but it's not very heavy. Make It Right has some filtering going on, but it mostly just sounds like one Myles only.

Anyway, I did the math... we're looking at about 12% of their songs since BB to have Myles buried in vocal layers. It can add to a chorus, but I go back to some of these choruses and wonder if that's a contributing factor to why I could like those songs so much (note that I don't really like Make It Right or Twilight, but the little that I do like may come from this).

When I go back to Blackbird, I'm thinking about what it would sound like if it was arranged today. How much would Myles be buried, what other bad loudness war mixing would they include, etc.? It's shameful to think about, and it only makes me love the power of that song's chorus that much more.

Every song ever made has a relative weak point, and although one would want the chorus to be the ever-pleasing crescendo of the track, Blackbird is definitely not a song with a weak one (even if it does relatively). I happen to think the chorus is fantastic, but that's one man's opinion. Would I feel the same if he was harmonized? Maybe not, I'm not sure. I'm also not willing to find out.

I'm legitimately glad they got that song out of the way before they changed their sound one album later.

maximzub
TABN.com Citizen

Post by maximzub »

I'm coming to this forum really late. I agree with people who say that The Last Hero and Walk The Sky were badly produced. I kinda wanna say the same thing about Blackbird, but it's a different kind of badly produced. One Day Remains has good sound, but it sounds like the guitars were double-tracked, which isn't good. AB III and Fortress are their best produced studio albums for me. I still wish they would have a more ringier snare drum.

Now there is one live album that was produced much better than any of the studio albums: Walk The Sky 2.0. It's perfect. I wonder if somebody other than Michael Baskette produced it.

maximzub
TABN.com Citizen

Post by maximzub »

Ubik wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:41 am It's their signature song, the one that pretty much symbolises the real beginning of the band as a creative unit, and its theme digs deep with a ton of people.

That said, I do prefer Fortress and a few others myself.
It's an amazing song, but I can't really listen to it anymore because it brings up sad memories. I also prefer other epic songs such as Cry Of Achilles, Fortress, and The Last Hero.
MuffinMcFluffin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:09 pm I still think Blackbird is their best song. I don't want them to live on it, though. I want them to make their next Blackbird.
Bands when they try to make the next <insert hit song name> always end up failing. The point of Fortress, for example, wasn't to make the next Blackbird, but to make the first Fortress.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

It honestly blows me away that any of you guys still think Blackbird (the song) "isn't that good." I heard something the other day that vaguely reminded me of the opening to that song, so I told my wife I needed to play this song for her (she's not really that into AB, just hears a little bit here and there in the background from what I happen to play). I pulled up the Royal Albert Hall show, found Blackbird, and played it for her, and even after hearing that song a billion times, I was still wiping tears out of my eyes watching them play it. I know the subject matter of the song is meant to be a tear-jerker anyway, but it's not even the lyrical content, it's just the feel of the music, the solo, the guitar tones, the way Myles sings, everything. If you guys can't feel that emotion from this track, I am so sorry, because it's an incredible feeling.
Image Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

maximzub
TABN.com Citizen

Post by maximzub »

TenaciousBe wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:23 pm It honestly blows me away that any of you guys still think Blackbird (the song) "isn't that good." I heard something the other day that vaguely reminded me of the opening to that song, so I told my wife I needed to play this song for her (she's not really that into AB, just hears a little bit here and there in the background from what I happen to play). I pulled up the Royal Albert Hall show, found Blackbird, and played it for her, and even after hearing that song a billion times, I was still wiping tears out of my eyes watching them play it. I know the subject matter of the song is meant to be a tear-jerker anyway, but it's not even the lyrical content, it's just the feel of the music, the solo, the guitar tones, the way Myles sings, everything. If you guys can't feel that emotion from this track, I am so sorry, because it's an incredible feeling.
I feel very sad emotions when listening to the song. That's precisely the reason why I can't listen to it anymore. It's an amazing song, but I like to listen to others that I don't associate with such sad emotions. I'm still using Fortress as an example, and The Last Hero and Cry Of Achilles belong there too.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

It doesn't necessarily bring up sad emotions for me, at least in terms of the lyrics, just... emotions. The music is so intense, it just makes me feel all the feelings, and I love it. :D
Image Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.