The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by MaraCarr »

I’ve never watched Casablanca. I watched “Mommie Dearest”not to long ago. It was pretty good! I agree I should move more.. read more... write more... play guitar more.. hell even paint! I found myself watching Twilight last night! LoL then passing out in my pizza and spilling my beer! Pitiful excuse for a human! LOL

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: Or I could turn off the damned box and exercise or read or write or play guitar or do anything else.

Post by Ubik »

gbruin wrote:With Lockdown 2.0 looming, I find myself panicked, not at the scarcity of toilet paper once again (really...WTF America? :facepalm ), but at the slim pickings in the TV/movie world.

Anyone got any recs for great classic movies from the past? I was thinking about Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur or some of the great epics in movie history.

For instance, if you have never watched Casablanca...best movie in the world ever, right there.
One of my favourite wartime (well, slightly later) ones is The Best Years of Our Lives, a bit like Casablanca in that it's very much about the war but without much in the way of fighting, in this case it's returning soldiers coming home to a world that's moved on without them. Shout out to my compatriots as well - The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is a UK classic of the genre.

Once Upon a Time in the West is, to my mind, the best American epic. And not just because the leading lady is Claudia Cardinale :cloud9 Just a masterpiece of sight and sound.

Generally, very hard to go wrong with anything from Billy Wilder. Some of the greatest films ever in multiple genres - Double Indemnity, Sunset Blvd. (noir); Ace in the Hole, Witness for the Prosecution (thriller); The Apartment, Some Like it Hot (comedy).

And if you want to branch out even further - nearly everything by Kurosawa is a masterwork. 50s and 60s Japanese cinema in general is my happy place. Harakiri is another one, spellbinding and gut-wrenching in equal loads.

I could go on but I should really stop there :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Or I could turn off the damned box and exercise or read or write or play guitar or do anything else.

Post by MaraCarr »

Thank you Greg I actually turned of my tv last night drank some ice water and to my own surprise actually completed a pretty good painting by 7 am!

Thanks for the movie suggestions you guys I will check those out! Mommie Dearest however is a very powerful oldie about Joan Crawford. You should watch it!

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

gbruin wrote:With Lockdown 2.0 looming, I find myself panicked, not at the scarcity of toilet paper once again (really...WTF America? :facepalm ), but at the slim pickings in the TV/movie world.

Anyone got any recs for great classic movies from the past? I was thinking about Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur or some of the great epics in movie history.

For instance, if you have never watched Casablanca...best movie in the world ever, right there.
Greg! Don't be panicked buddy. I'm here for you!

Some classic movies that I love to watch are The Great Escape with Steve McQueen, It's a Wonderful Life, The Quiet Man, and the original True Grit.

I also have been watching a lot of stuff from my youth.

My uncle Michael had a pretty good idea during the first lockdown, if you're able to, go for a long walk and listen to any album from your youth from top to bottom, walk as long as the album as playing and just be in your happy place.

Hopefully this helps buddy.
Thanks Andy!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Doing lots of chill/reflection stuff, too.

Post by gbruin »

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've seen a few you have mentioned (Mommie Dearest, The Great Escape, It's A Wonderful Life) and agree those are great ones. Looking forward to checking out some of the others.

Stay healthy, TABN

:cheers !
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

So... I was just watching The Departed (sorry.. The Depaaaahhted) and I have a question for our USA-dwelling members. In one scene Matt Damon's girlfriend calls a croissant a 'French donut'.... is this a thing?

EDIT: If you like The Departed, give some time to watch the Hong Kong movie it was based on called Infernal Affairs. It's equally as good.

zazthespaz
Kumar

Re: @Starbucks: "2 French donuts and a cup of Italian water - black."

Post by zazthespaz »

Crumbso wrote:So... I was just watching The Departed (sorry.. The Depaaaahhted) and I have a question for our USA-dwelling members. In one scene Matt Damon's girlfriend calls a croissant a 'French donut'.... is this a thing?

EDIT: If you like The Departed, give some time to watch the Hong Kong movie it was based on called Infernal Affairs. It's equally as good.
:lol no it's not. Although some of us find it annoying when people use the French accent and say it like "kwa-sahn."
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.
gbruin wrote:
Go reread what zaz says

Crumbso
On The Rail

Re: @Starbucks: "2 French donuts and a cup of Italian water - black."

Post by Crumbso »

zazthespaz wrote:
Crumbso wrote:So... I was just watching The Departed (sorry.. The Depaaaahhted) and I have a question for our USA-dwelling members. In one scene Matt Damon's girlfriend calls a croissant a 'French donut'.... is this a thing?

:lol no it's not. Although some of us find it annoying when people use the French accent and say it like "kwa-sahn."
Good to know :lol ! Me and my other half couldn't tell if she was joking or it was just a weird script.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Using these next couple relaxing days to watch all four Scream films in order. Wes Craven was a genius director. Scream 5 just won't be the same without his vision...

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

Devil Inside You wrote:On the topic of Christopher Nolan, I rewatched the Batman trilogy this passed week. I forgot how brilliant these films are. The Dark Knight is essentially a perfect movie. The trailer to The Batman looks really good if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOp_6uPccQ
No movie with Christian Bale's Batman voice is "perfect" ;)

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Dan Dando wrote:
Devil Inside You wrote:On the topic of Christopher Nolan, I rewatched the Batman trilogy this passed week. I forgot how brilliant these films are. The Dark Knight is essentially a perfect movie. The trailer to The Batman looks really good if you haven't seen it yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOp_6uPccQ
No movie with Christian Bale's Batman voice is "perfect" ;)
But its what taught me how to growl in metal!

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I just watched one last week on Amazon Prime called “The Lie” Blumehouse production. It was pretty good. Kept me entertained... Tonight I’m watching “ The Craft : Legacy” The new release...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

We watched Falling starring Viggo Mortensen and Lance Henrikson on Amazon Prime last night. It's a very very well made movie. The acting is fantastic and the filmmaking (with the weird exception of the last 15 seconds) is great. One of my best friends was the LA crew location manager, so the happiest moment for me was in the credits.

It is however an utterly discouraging and unenjoyable story, which is what I think the movie is really intended to be about. It'll probably get a lot of Oscar push because it's that kind of movie. If you are a movie buff, definitely see it. If you're looking for a good fun time, leave it for another day.

Jim
Blood Machines

Post by Jim »

Just watched the new Suicide Squad trailer today..

Actually looks like it could be ok..

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

“The Conjuring Part 3: The Devil Made Me Do It”

Great Film... Good and Creepy! 3 Thumbs Up! I cried at the end... I guess I’m feeling way too sensitive today. I think I should go have some spicy food to balance myself out! I I couldn’t stop crying... I had to put my sunglasses on before I got out of the theater and they totally made me look even more dark and twisted on a Sunday! :facepalm

Great Movie!

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Recently watched Fast 9. or F9...more like FU.

I'm a big fan of this franchise. I have been since I was in first grade when the first film came out, but this was a bit too much for me.

It feels like two different movies going on at the same time here. You'll have a really emotional scene, really grounded and realistic and then cut to a car flying through space.

The action was as over the top and ridiculous as expected, but even more so.

I don't know, this one lost me. Unnecessary character resurrections, a huge Dwayne Johnson sized hole and competing themes really bogged this one down for me. 5/10
Thanks Andy!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Re: The Movie Thread - Cruella

Post by gbruin »

We streamed Cruella at home the other night. I was initially a bit put off by the $30 tag to watch it, but then I realized it would cost us a lot more for our family to see it at the theater from tickets alone, and I already paid for my snacks and drinks in the house, so the price was actually a bargain. As for the movie, I thought it was really enjoyable. The story was great and the movie was really well made, and I'm probably in love with Emma Stone. Sort of how the book/play Wicked made you empathize and end up liking the Wicked Witch of the West in the Wizard of Oz, this will do the same for 101 Dalmatians. Those dogs and their owner were assholes lol. Definitely worth seeing.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I heard Cruella is good and I am also in love with Emma Stone. One of my favorite movies with her in it is Crazy, Stupid,Love! Such a great movie… lots of truth and humor in it! I love it!

It’s so funny! You will smile… they are great together!

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Yes! She is so good in Crazy, Stupid, Love. I wish that movie had a different title because it sounds silly, but it's really a funny and thoughtful movie. Steve Carrell is really fantastic in those sort of tweener drama-comedies, and the interplay between him and Ryan Gosling (Jim's doppelgänger, btw) is hilarious.

Superbad is still probably my favorite movie of Emma's so far (just thinking of that movie makes me start giggling) but her range from Superbad to The Help and LaLa Land to now Cruella is quite impressive.

MaraCarr
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MaraCarr »

I've never watched "Superbad"...I will!

I agree. Steve Carrell is amazing, He made me laugh so much! I think the mixture of people in that movie made it incredible, and you are right the name really sucked...It should have been better. I actually discovered it on a lonely night channel surfing...at the part when steve jumps out of the car after his wife tells him who she slept with! I was hooked after David Liginhoggem (?) I dont know how to spell that. but the movie should have gotten an award. It's awesome!

I hope you are doing well! I've been so busy...just listening to music to get me through. We had a so called ... "hurricane" that was a dud...I had co workers and all their kids at my place...we played UNO and did way too many shots of vodka after we put the kids to bed...the so called hurricane also made them call me in on my day off...with a hangover...so I worked 6 in a row...in a war zone...Im still not recovered but Im working on it. I am looking forward to Kentucky that keeps me going! :) Kentucky!!!! Sept 23!!! You should come if you look at past shows it looks like it is going to be so much fun! I am so thrilled by the TREE bar...I have to check that one out!