The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
cheesedip1
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by cheesedip1 »

"I've always thought that the B-3 organ added a lot to the original Creed sound."

What Creed songs was that featured on?

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

What's This LIfe For, as far as I know.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

That's a good question.
I know I've heard it here and there, but I have never made a full list.
I'm not always sure it's a B-3 organ, keyboards or mellotron, but I think those little touches link Creed's music to the classic rock sound.

You can hear some of those instruments on What's This Life For, In America, Signs, at the end of Who's Got my Back, during Higher's pre-chorus (So let's go there), and also at the end of My Sacrifice's bridge. There are some keyboards keyboards during With Arms Wide Open's verses, and I also think I hear them very low in the mix during Wash Away those Years' last chorus, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Here's an interview that is mostly about fitness:

Breakdown:
3:18 - 4:09: The value of a Grammy — voted on by your peers

4:53 - 9:02: If you’re struggling, ask for help. Just because you get knocked down, doesn’t mean you can’t get back up.

10:02 - 12:19: What can friends do to help? Reach out with love.

12:59 - 15:18: Exercise, Diet, and physical and mental health.

15:58 - 18:34: Setting daily goals to achieve radical life changes

19:17 - 20:29: Slow progress, setting small goals

21:11 - 22:48: Are your actions giving you the results you want?

23:10 - 24:27: The space between the shadows is light. Regret as a negative frame of mind.

28:55 - 29:47: Maintaining spiritual connection, “a constant state of inspiration and love”

31:37 - 32:47: Daily Commitments to faith

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It is now almost certain that the Creed Instagram page is controlled by Stapp.
https://www.instagram.com/officialcreedpage/

At first, there were pictures of each member, but recently, Stapp's been in every single one of them, and he's now plugging his solo stuff and ignoring everything AB-related.
It seems like deja-vu.
He'll never get it...

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote:It is now almost certain that the Creed Instagram page is controlled by Stapp.

At first, there were pictures of each member, but recently, Stapp's been in every single one of them, and he's now plugging his solo stuff and ignoring everything AB-related.
It seems like deja-vu.
He'll never get it...
He is Creed. None of the other members care about it. It's essentially his brand and business at this point. There is no doubt that he would drop anything to do another creed reunion but the others, specifically tremonti, would much rather focus on other works.

Stapp is keeping Creed alive. I don't care and have no ill will in him taking over the socials since none of the other members care.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

He may be the only one that cares about the band, but he'll never be Creed on his own.
Creed was 4 guys (not 3, not 5), and the magic came from their unique chemistry.
The Instagram Creed page should then focus equally on all 4 of them, and not turn into Stappworld.
It's not like it's popular anyway, and it still amazes me that they only have 12k followers.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

nagpo wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:It is now almost certain that the Creed Instagram page is controlled by Stapp.

It seems like deja-vu.
He'll never get it...
He is Creed. None of the other members care about it. It's essentially his brand and business at this point. There is no doubt that he would drop anything to do another creed reunion but the others, specifically tremonti, would much rather focus on other works.
It's the other way around. The other members don't care about Creed because Stapp thinks he is Creed. It's what drove them do break up twice.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Timotheus wrote:
nagpo wrote:

It seems like deja-vu.
He'll never get it...
It's the other way around. The other members don't care about Creed because Stapp thinks he is Creed. It's what drove them do break up twice.
Exactly this. If I were in their shoes, seeing this certainly wouldn't push me in the direction of wanting to "bring the band back together". I wouldn't blame them at all for wanting nothing to do with a reunion and to focus on their other works.

Especially since, and my memory may be a little hazy on this one, if I remember right one of the things that contributed to the reunion going awry was that Stapp was mad that the Creed social media pages were also promoting AB stuff. Just screams of hypocrisy, IMO.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

I honestly think that's irrelevant.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

It's funny to look at the Instagram Creed page.
At first, all pictures had the 4 guys on them.
There was no mention of any side project, even though Stapp had just released his new album.
Things started changing in May, and now, Stapp is on absolutely every picture.
It's like he had good attentions at first and couldn't resist his narcissistic instincts after a while.

Speaking of social media, the sad thing for Stapp is that everybody in the AB/Tremonti band wishes happy birthday to each other (band members, producers, friends... etc). Stapp is the only exception: nobody ever wishes him his birthday, and when he used to wish it to Mark (he stopped a couple of years ago), he never got a response. This may seem like nothing, but I think it shows there's still an issue within the band.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote: It's not like it's popular anyway, and it still amazes me that they only have 12k followers.
Well, Creed hat their best days way before social media emerged. The band died in 2012, their (or Stapp's?) first Instagram post is from 2019.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Timotheus wrote:
nagpo wrote: He is Creed. None of the other members care about it. It's essentially his brand and business at this point. There is no doubt that he would drop anything to do another creed reunion but the others, specifically tremonti, would much rather focus on other works.
Exactly. Stapp is most definitely not Creed. His solo albums prove that. A big part of the Creed magic was the Tremonti/Flip/Marshall sound. Stapp lives in the past and clings to Creed because it's by far the most successful thing he's been a part of -- by contrast, Alter Bridge has released 6 very strong albums since Creed first broke up. Stapp barely plays any of his own songs at live shows. He knows the vast majority of people only like the Creed songs, written in large part by Mark Tremonti. So please don't say "Stapp is Creed." That's ridiculous.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

MidnightToker wrote:
Timotheus wrote:
nagpo wrote: He is Creed. None of the other members care about it. It's essentially his brand and business at this point. There is no doubt that he would drop anything to do another creed reunion but the others, specifically tremonti, would much rather focus on other works.
Exactly. Stapp is most definitely not Creed. His solo albums prove that. A big part of the Creed magic was the Tremonti/Flip/Marshall sound. Stapp lives in the past and clings to Creed because it's by far the most successful thing he's been a part of -- by contrast, Alter Bridge has released 6 very strong albums since Creed first broke up. Stapp barely plays any of his own songs at live shows. He knows the vast majority of people only like the Creed songs, written in large part by Mark Tremonti. So please don't say "Stapp is Creed." That's ridiculous.
His solo albums prove that? His solo albums sound most like creed compared to alter bridge, who contrastly sound nothing like Creed. So if it was those three members sound that proved your point, then why don't those 6 albums sound like creed at all? And also, why doesn't Full Circle sound like creed? It's almost as if that record was written by tremonti, without stapp in mind - without the creed sound. That seems to be the case. Because the creed sound is the two of them working together. The band members even admitted to this, which is why they tried to recapture the original sound by performing the first two records live together with stapp, while preparing to record the 2012 record. And if you listen to Devil inside you and More than this, it sounds a lot more like creed than full circle did. These were songs written with stapp. Also, would you consider weathered to have the Temonti/flip/marshall sound? Because Marshall was not involved with that at all. In fact, brian and flip are not credited at all whether it's writing lyrics or music in any of the albums. Even with AB, Brian and flip mostly at best, have a advisory position when it comes to the writing. it's mostly myles and mark.

Let me make this clear, when I said "Stapp is Creed." I mean that in 2020, he is creed. The creed that was the four guys and that sound from Human Clay and even weathered died when they broke up and has never come back. Yet Stapp has kept up the mantle of the brand and kept the legacy alive by still performing the songs to fans. The same can not be said for tremonti. I'll even give you this, flip has even performed creed songs with stapp since then. Yet Tremonti doesn't talk about creed, doesn't, from my knowledge, seem to have any intention on bringing creed back and doesn't seem to have much respect for those songs and how he wrote them.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

nagpo wrote: Even with AB, Brian and flip mostly at best, have a advisory position when it comes to the writing. it's mostly myles and mark.
Just to add to this thought, and will go off topic, while that is obviously true, AB shares equal songwriting credit per the below. Usually, in the album booklets, it would mainly say all songs were written by Alter Bridge. Didn't specify Myles or Mark, which makes it pretty hard to distinguish who wrote what in Walk the Sky. I would say that if Flip or Brian had any motivation to write any song ideas at all for AB, and they are good ideas, I think it would help alleviate some stress for Mark and Myles' end given that they are writing for so many outlets.
When the interviewer said: "It seems like early on in your career, the band agreed to share songwriting credit. I understand that you and Mark do most of the writing. Can you explain that decision to share credit and why you've stuck with it?", Myles replied:

"Yeah, that was a decision we made early on. It's one of those things where it can be tricky, trying to go through each song and [ask] who did what, especially when there's such a collaborative thing with Mark and I, so how does that work?

"We just figured it would be easier to just kind of have a broad stroke, 'Yup, the songs are written by Alter Bridge.'

"When we talk about it in the press, you kind of have an understanding that Mark and I are the songwriters.

"But what Brian [Marshall, bass] and Flip [Scott Phillips, drums] bring is their incredible gift and their feel to the backbone of the songs. The parts they inject the songs with do Alter Bridge-ify the tracks. They're very important. And they do a lot in helping dictate which songs and what ideas will make the cut.

"Mark and I will sometimes get too close to the genesis of the idea. It's great to play the tracks to those guys, and also producer [Michael 'Elvis' Baskette], and have them say, 'Oh, this is good' or, 'This doesn't quite work.' It's definitely part of the process."
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... creed.html

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

nagpo wrote:why doesn't Full Circle sound like creed? It's almost as if that record was written by tremonti, without stapp in mind - without the creed sound. That seems to be the case. Because the creed sound is the two of them working together.
If I remember correctly, Mark, Brian and Flip jammed together and gave new songs to Stapp at the end of each writing session. Then, he would go home and try and write some lyrics.
But he's now admitted that he used a lot of material that had been previously written for his second solo album.
Then, in 2010 or 2011, there was a video interview where Flip said he could not tell the difference between an Alter Bridge song and a Creed one when they were writing new material. :shrug

So basically, Full Circle doesn't sound like Creed, because it's a mix between 3 guys in "Alter Bridge mode" and Stapp in solo mode. This is not the 4 of them working together in a room. There's nothing organic about that album. Even the production sucks, and it sounds like they tried as hard as they could to stay away from the orignal Creed sound. :facepalm

No wonder it semi-flopped.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Not to dump personal issues, but I suffered a horrifying break up with a woman I expected to marry and be the mother of my kids. Her daughter even referred to me as "daddy" in the time we spent together. Myles solo, Tremonti and Alter Bridge (specifically Blackbird) have carried me through this disaster. But I started listening to the first three Creed albums again, and it just reminded me of how much I miss this band.

I wish they knew how special it was to some people. I'll always love the first three, but I could really use their magic again. It saved me in 2012. Mark is a flawless metal and technical guitarist, but his music from My Own Prison to One Day Remains is genuinely angelic to me.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Wish mark could “find time” to do that Creed record, he “has in his back pocket”, as he says.

Hey we get new Tremonti recorded next month atleast. Know mark has been hella busy on tour and busting out albums during this pandemic. Maybe he will “find the time” one day.

LOL

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

On the side note, Stapp postponed his European tour until like.... early 2022. Is there any point in putting it off so far into the future? I'm aware of the current world situation but he's gonna lose all the momentum related to the album (if there ever was one).
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Dolo wrote:On the side note, Stapp postponed his European tour until like.... early 2022. Is there any point in putting it off so far into the future? I'm aware of the current world situation but he's gonna lose all the momentum related to the album (if there ever was one).
Yeah... He had plans to release a new record next year so if anything they'll just rename the tour or cancel it. I only see the reason why they haven't cancelled it is because of contracts and his label is based in germany, napalm, i believe. Europe is having a massive resurgence in covid right now which is probably what caused this. it can't be helped.