BLISSKRIEG (Submersed/Tantric Supergroup)

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
Devil Inside You
Isolated

BLISSKRIEG (Submersed/Tantric Supergroup)

Post by Devil Inside You »

This is my first time making a topic. Hopefully I do it properly haha

So Todd Whitener, Jesse Vest and Matt Taul of Tantric/Days of the New decided to get the gang back together one more time. This time instead of getting a singer with a rich baritone such as Travis Meeks or Hugo Ferreira, they've decided on Post Grunge singer, and former Wind Up artist, Donald Carpenter of Submersed. Though I am a longtime Days of the New/Tantric fan, I've never heard of Submersed before today, so I did some research. Interestingly enough, Submersed used to feature none other than Eric Friedman and Garrett Whitlock, now long time members of Tremonti project. Scott Philips and Mark Tremonti even played with Submersed on their first album!

Donald's voice is very atypical of Post Grunge with a sound that reminds me of Breaking Benjamin, Soil, and even Mark Tremonti on some songs. I know his voice will blend very seamlessly with Todd Whitener's higher, Jerry Cantrell like melodies. Unfortunately, I don't have any material from Blisskrieg to share. However, given the six degrees of separation between Blisskrieg and Alter Bridge/Creed, I don't doubt there are some Submersed fans in this forum. If for whatever reason, you've never properly heard the musical capabilities of this instrumental lineup, feel free to listen to the two songs I've posted to get a gauge of what Donald will be singing over. :) Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvwJnlEy048

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_99k8wVa7w

George
Loyal Follower

Re: BLISSKRIEG (Submersed/Tantric Supergroup)

Post by George »

Yeah man, I saw Todd's Facebook post yesterday and I love this news. I used to listen a lot to Submersed on the early days and their first album "In Due Time" is one of my favorites. Can't wait to hear stuff from the new band.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

That band is name is terrible btw

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Hahaha, it reminds me of "Moop" from South Park, where they just make shit up since all the cool band names are taken.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I could have sworn it would be Brett Scallions or Kevin Martin when he first announced it. Even Scott Stapp crossed my mind. I'm listening to that album. Its good stuff. He's a talented vocalist, and I look forward to seeing how his voice blends with Todd's. I like the Tremonti connection as well

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Have they said if they will be releasing a song anytime soon? Would be interested in hearing it for sure.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

MidnightToker wrote:Have they said if they will be releasing a song anytime soon? Would be interested in hearing it for sure.
That "new music coming soon" message.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Because of COVID and living distances, they haven't been able to properly record anything yet. However, in the next couple of weeks they will be having a jam session and will be documenting the process via social media. Trust me dude, as soon as something is finalized I'll post it right here. Given the many things that have gone wrong in 2020 its refreshing to see something to be excited about.

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

If you wanna hear some more of what Donald is capable of, listen to his other supergroup/band Eye Empire, with Corey Lowery and others.
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I haven't listened to a full album from his yet, but the bits and pieces I've heard from Submersed, Eye Empire and Apollo Under Fire shows he's a very versatile performer. The fact that he's worked with members of Tremonti, Sevendust, Dark New Day and Candlebox leaves me very intrigued to see how he gels with the sound of Days of the New and Tantric. Jesse Vest said its very likely the album will be released in 2020 but I hope the immediate completion is a result of chemistry and not a rushed attempt to get established.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Hey guys! I made a video analysis commemorating this line up's history in Tantric. If you're curious please check it out, as well as my Another Animal video :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYpUEDMsHSM

Devil Inside You
Isolated

First new song! Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed. I've been listening to a lot of Days of the New, Tantric and Submersed leading up to this and this is anticlimactic to whatever I was expecting. It sounds less like Breakdown or Hollow and more like LIVE. It actually reminds me of that 'The Way Around' song they did with Chris Shinn. I hope the rest of the album is better, but if nothing else at least there's some new material.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D4pIr2WxzVI

mtshaw3
TABN.com Citizen

Post by mtshaw3 »

See I thought it was pretty groovy. I wasn't much of a Days of the New listener and only really listened to the couple hits Tantric had, so I didn't have any expectations for it. I'll enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully the rest is as good or better.
Huge thanks to Andy! Love my new sig!

Devil Inside You
Isolated

mtshaw3 wrote:See I thought it was pretty groovy. I wasn't much of a Days of the New listener and only really listened to the couple hits Tantric had, so I didn't have any expectations for it. I'll enjoy it for what it is. Hopefully the rest is as good or better.
In all fairness, most of the friends I shared it with enjoyed it. Ironically I'm the only one so far that isn't feeling it. Lol But I'm still gonna buy the album when it comes out. Its just given the history all of these guys have I want to hear something more vicious. These guys are about the same age as Alter Bridge/Stapp so its not like you stop making heavy music as you get old. I'm still keeping my expectations high that I'll overall be impressed with the debut.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

New album is called "Remedy". Pre-order is available for digital release the 22nd of this month. The album cover is super busy but reminds me a bit of One Day Remains. Just that transition from light to dark.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I really love this album. I'll elaborate more on a future review or maybe when we're talking the best albums of 2021 but its very good. I think they do an excellent job of showing the chemistry they have as Todd Whitener, Jesse Vest and Matt Taul, instead of just "those guys who make good Alice in Chainsesque rock". I will admit, I hope the next album is more in line with their history but this still pleasantly subverted my expectations. I think if you're a LIVE fan or if you enjoy Stapp's solo output, you'll get a lot of this. Destination Unknown, Wherever You Guy, Waiting, Remedy and Parasitic are my favorite songs.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Their style is really cool. But somehow I get the impression that the album lacks some professional production.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Mr. Slash wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:08 pm Their style is really cool. But somehow I get the impression that the album lacks some professional production.
It wasn't professionally recorded, but actually entire made in Todd Whitener's home studio, which maybe why you're hearing a more indie vibe for the record. Interestingly enough the guy who mixed this, also mixed the My Own Prison album by Creed.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

As much as I love this lineup, I've been revisiting a lot of Days of the New lately. Travis Meeks is probably the tragic story in all of Grunge/Post Grunge. Even more than Cornell, Staley and Cobain.