The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by Devil Inside You »

Its complicated, and considering how much this band's music means to all of us, its inevitable that we get invested into what may be happening behind the scenes.

To give an alternate perspective, when I was a teenager I used to take Mark's (and Alter Bridge fans) comments regarding Stapp very personally. I thought it was absurd that they were so vitriolic and spiteful towards Stapp and Creed when they didn't have anything close to Creed's impact, and Stapp came off as a likable guy in interviews. Then Stapp had his mental breakdown in 2014, and it absolutely humbled me. We don't know what Stapp may have done to Mark behind the scenes to make him not want to be in Creed. He may have nice things to say about Mark publicly but we don't know their friendship or problems and Mark isn't really about drama so we likely will never know.

I met Scott Stapp last year at a radio show and he was nothing short of graceful. An absolute gentleman and extremely kind and wholesome. He thanked ME for telling him how much his music has helped me in my life. I have yet to meet Mark but I believe if I were to do tell him the exact same thing (specifically about Creed) he would be the same way.

Not everything has to work out. Stapp's been with his solo band for five years and is actually exploring different routes creatively for his solo work. Mark and Alter Bridge release a banger of a song here and there. They're both in a good place. Creed is one of those bands where they either do it right or just don't do it all. As far as I'm concerned Weathered is Creed's swan song. And as much as I want more, those first three albums accomplished more than most bands do in their entire careers. Perhaps letting Creed sleep will help their legacy.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Now would be a GREAT time for stapp to just drop an EP of b-sides considering the shut-down. A great way to keep fans invested until the next tour

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Dolo wrote:This makes me realize how much money-oriented this '09 reunion must have been. Mark not even being able to look at Stapp and tour with him on the same bus.
I think I read or heard that they had two buses : one for Stapp, and one for the other guys.
Stapp didn't want to be tempted to drink again, which is understandable. But if I'm taking Mark's side for a minute, that's gotta be annoying to be around someone like Stapp who's always always talking about sobriety, religion and family during interviews. There' something fake and uptight about him. The AB and Tremonti guys, ont the other hand, seem more chill, and I understand why they don't really want to be around someone like Stapp 24/7. Music is supposed to be fun, and having someone who has so many rules about everything must be a drag.

One thing I also really don't like about Stapp is that he's always showing off his family, like he's still a rock star. Whether it's on Instagram, on Billboard articles or even during his 15 minute Q&A on Facebok the other day, he keeps doing it again and again, which is weird, since he said last year he wanted to really focus on his career and only talk about music.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Stapp needs a better control of his solo career. The guy seems to be doing great physically and mentally, but his band still looks like a bunch of amateurs on stage in terms of how they look and act. Theres a cheesy element to those over worn black uniforms. Who ever is managing Stapp, doesn't really know how that band needs to be presented. All those cheesy ties and chains isn't a reflection of stapp's music. A more genuine vibe of grown men wearing comfortable clothing and not having wannabe elvis styled hair cuts(gosh, what was stapp thinking with that) would be ideal. The stapp project needs a makeover in the right direction soon. Musically I am hoping a lot more improvement over the next album. I really hope its an acoustic heavy, mid tempo, personal sorta album than a wannabe rocknroll one.
Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

If he just keeps doing more of what he did on the last record I'll be perfectly fine with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote:
Dolo wrote:This makes me realize how much money-oriented this '09 reunion must have been. Mark not even being able to look at Stapp and tour with him on the same bus.
I think I read or heard that they had two buses : one for Stapp, and one for the other guys.
Stapp didn't want to be tempted to drink again, which is understandable. But if I'm taking Mark's side for a minute, that's gotta be annoying to be around someone like Stapp who's always always talking about sobriety, religion and family during interviews..
I think about it this way, instead of being cool and understanding of stapps problems, tremonti got immature and pissy about it. And stapp actually wasn't being a douche about it - if he was, he would've demanded for THEM not to drink or do drugs or whatever on the bus with him. Instead, he respected their space and took himself out of the situation, which is actually the correct thing to do.

I don't think there is anything fake about stapp. He is just some guy trying to be sober, have a solid family and make music. He has slipped in the past, but his lifestyle now from what we can tell and how he presents himself seems to be all the same. Maybe he is uptight, but he doesn't have the same faculties to not fall down the rabbit hole of drug abuse that others have, so he can't afford to hand around drunk people. Especially if you're the lead singer of Creed.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Them Bones wrote:Stapp needs a better control of his solo career. The guy seems to be doing great physically and mentally, but his band still looks like a bunch of amateurs on stage in terms of how they look and act. Theres a cheesy element to those over worn black uniforms. Who ever is managing Stapp, doesn't really know how that band needs to be presented. All those cheesy ties and chains isn't a reflection of stapp's music. A more genuine vibe of grown men wearing comfortable clothing and not having wannabe elvis styled hair cuts(gosh, what was stapp thinking with that) would be ideal. The stapp project needs a makeover in the right direction soon. Musically I am hoping a lot more improvement over the next album. I really hope its an acoustic heavy, mid tempo, personal sorta album than a wannabe rocknroll one.
Speaking of cheesy. This arangement of One Last Breath is cheesy, at least on a musical level. The guitar tone is quite poor and together with the drums I get the feeling of some mediocre coverband. Just listen to the part after the first chorus. The slow tempo, the weak guitar tone and the way the drums kick in. Ugh.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zkbsealmEc

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I disagree.
I think a lot of people who don't like Stapp keep saying his band sucks, as if we were still in 2014 when it was actually the case.
That new band of his is very respectful of the Creed material, and the drummer hits hard. I'm not a huge fan of the clean guitar tone (too much treble and reverb), but Yannis is a much better shredder and a tighter guitar player than Mark will ever be. Don't mistake me: Mark is a hell of a songwriter, but he's very sloppy live, and his current live guitar tones are a complete disgrace.

Overall, this performance you linked is nowhere near as good as vintage Creed from the 1997-2000 days, but IMHO, it's way better than whatever Creed did from 2009 to 2012. Man did they butcher their own songs on those tours.
nagpo wrote:I don't think there is anything fake about stapp.
I respectfully disagree.
Whenever he's doing interviews, it feels like he's reciting the same stuff again and again. I don't know if he's working with a publicist or not, but it surely feels like he's too prepared. Despite that, I find his interviews to be very good and interesting, but I wish he was a bit more loose and funny.

For instance, do you remember when he was saying he had turned a mess into a message when he was promoting his book? I can't recall how many times he used that sentence, but it was a lot.

Now that he has some free time, he could start a podcast to make a buck. He's got a good speaking voice, and that could help him improve his image. Just an idea...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote:I disagree.
I think a lot of people who don't like Stapp keep saying his band sucks, as if we were still in 2014 when it was actually the case.
That new band of his is very respectful of the Creed material, and the drummer hits hard. I'm not a huge fan of the clean guitar tone (too much treble and reverb), but Yannis is a much better shredder and a tighter guitar player than Mark will ever be.
Yeah, I didn't intend to hate Yannis, he is in fact an amazing guitarist. I was more concerned with the overall arrangement.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Yeah, Stapp performing Creed songs is not impactful at all with his solo band. The arrangements are ok, definitely could be better. Yiannis and Ben are alright. Great guitar players am sure, just not sure if they can write anything good. I cannot stand Sammy as the bass player at all. His bass is barely heard and his bass skills seem very average. I still found his best solo band to be with Bodnar and Zelick am forgetting the drummer's name, but he did a killer job as well. That band had the grooves and the tone was awesome. It felt like its own band instead of a hired set of cool dudes for his project. For me Stapp's best solo performance ever was from the delray show before the Creed reunion. The band was tight. And the version of Who I Am was epic.

Original Sin

Torn ( fast tempo bu Stapp nails it, something had to go terribly wrong for his vocal power to within 1 year from this)

Torn 2

Who I Am ( Stapp destroyed this song by recording it on Proof Of Life - such a waste of a potentially hit song)

Who I am 2

Freedom Fighter

Pray for Sunrise ( What a composition by bodnar on the guitar, another song ruined later with his book release.)

I traded texts with Bodnar last year, he says he really hopes that album to release one day, said there were some amazing compositions on it and he loved working on them.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Derek Cintron was the drummer's name.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

I still found his best solo band to be with Bodnar and Zelick am forgetting the drummer's name, but he did a killer job as well.
The drummer was Derek if I'm not mistaken. I agree they were Scott best band after Creed. You could hear the band has an identity and sound. And the "Rock revolution has began" from 2008 still got Scott solo work that I alsolutely love. Somber, Criminal, Who I Am, and Pray for Sunrise which we are lucky to get studio versions of are stunning. Just listen to that acoustic rendition of Pray for Sunrise. It's in the league of its own.

Alex Bodnar approach to melody is not too far from Mark. That's why Scott could write some amazing stuffs with him though I'm not a fan of his guitar tone.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

that was my first time hearing original sin in years. so good

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Yeah these songs weren't complete for the delray show. You could tell Stapp was still ad-libbing. But I really think thi writing team would have developped into something really good. Zelic was a mad bass player. Its weird we never got to know what went wrong ? I know Creed happened and his solo project was put on the back burner. Stapp used a lot of words from this project, yet, I would have loved to hear this album.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Zelick did not do any writing with the band as I remember, he was called to do the Military tour.

The band was John Curry on guitar(From Goneblind, remaining from The Great Divide album), Alex Bodnar on guitar, Daniel Wills on bass and Derek Cintron on drums.

For some reason, John Curry and Daniel Wills left the band before that tour.

I really think that the actual band is the best he's had ever, I saw three live shows and they were really good and tight. Also the sound on this last tour was outstanding, really really good.
Creed
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Its funny how Stapp and Scott Weiland are parallels of each other in some ways. Creed and STP both reunited in 2008 but Weiland finished promoting and touring behind the double album he put out, while Stapp abandoned his and jumped straight back into Creed. I wonder how much more established he'd be as a solo artist had he finished his follow up to The Great Divide instead of putting everything to Full Circle and starting all over.

I remember an interview sometime back where he said as his solo band gets more settled he'd be open to putting an album out with material primarily by them. We know Yiannis really wants to write and put his own stamp out there. Maybe his 2021 album will feature music by him. According to wikipedia they play the instrumentals on The Space Between the Shadows despite having no writing credits.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

For what I've heard, his next album will be with his band and they were already writing on the last tours.
Creed
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Cool interview with Stapp. He talks about forcing his kids to learn an instrument, stopping vaping on March 27th, being humble enough to ask for help, and not seeing it as weakness.
He also says he likes the band Badflower.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Just watched this whole video interview(It's more like a conversation) and it is a great one. It seems like the guy worked for the Orlando rock radio and was there through all the Creed period.

There's a part Scott talks about what he would say to new band on how to act to avoid things like a band break-up.

He also talks about how he felt when he found out about Alter Bridge.

In the end, the guy says he needs to do a Creed documentary and Scott says he's on the list and that has been on the table a few times through the years and may happen some day.

Really cool video conversation.

Start through 00:30:00...some few interesting things discussed.
Creed
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Very good interview indeed.

I'd advise people to start from the 12th minute on, since before that he talks about his family and Florida.
He says some nice things about Mark at 43:10, and I hope Mark sees it, even though I doubt he cares much.

For those who only want to see what he says about AB, go to 38:40.

The most ironic thing in this video is what he says at 36:30 about handling issues with drugs and alcohol. He was probably thinking about himself, but I immediately thought about Brian and the way they kicked him out of the band.