On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by nagpo »

i actually like the mix of poppy chorus and heavy other parts of tremonti

Devil Inside You
Isolated

Post by Devil Inside You »

Musically, Tremonti is absolutely fantastic. They are extremely exceptional especially when compared to their more popular yet inferior contemporaries, (notably Godsmack and Three Days Grace). Its just that most of the songs don't resonate with me. Its the strangest thing. My favorite song by Mark solo is Another Heart, and I enjoyed A Dying Machine, but the melodies never seem to stick. Which is weird cause I don't have this problem with Creed or Alter Bridge for the most part. Even now the only songs I can hum off A Dying Machine off the top of my head are Trust? and The First the Last and I've played the album at least three times already.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Micky wrote:Was surprised to see Stapp play Broken on his social media yesterday. He sounded great.
Yeah, playing guitar and singing. It was cool".
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I was not sold on that Broken performance.
Since he can barely play guitar, he changed the song a lot, and he struggled to hit those high notes. It was also very repetitive, since he played the same guitar pattern again and again for 5 minutes.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

chtimixeur wrote:I was not sold on that Broken performance.
Since he can barely play guitar, he changed the song a lot, and he struggled to hit those high notes. It was also very repetitive, since he played the same guitar pattern again and again for 5 minutes.
Yeah, he pretty much performed like someone who is at a beginners level of guitar and singing at the same time, which he's always been open about. he could probably sing better if he wasn't playing and vice versa. He started the guitar later in life and only ever used t to do melody stuff. He actually was playing better than I thought he could lol

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

nagpo wrote:
chtimixeur wrote:I was not sold on that Broken performance.
Yeah, he pretty much performed like someone who is at a beginners level of guitar and singing at the same time, which he's always been open about. he could probably sing better if he wasn't playing and vice versa. He started the guitar later in life and only ever used t to do melody stuff. He actually was playing better than I thought he could lol
That's my thought too. lol
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Indeed.
He's tighter than I thought, but nowhere near a professional level.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Nice to see Stapp can Cowboy chord his way through a song. I don’t mind that at all. Wasn’t bad. Had some unnecessary cheesy stuff but all in all I’ll take it happily in Corona 2020

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Not sure if this was posted, its been a while since ive been on here. But this seems like the original melody work for Only One from stapp's solo with some fan having added random music to it i think.I like it better. Melodies sound like old creed, makes me think his "writing team" has a bigger influence on his music than he himself does. Its almost like the producers n all that he works with take away from him instead of adding on. His lyrics and melody haven't been the same, they've been generic.

Over thinking, over analyzing, separates my body from my mind..

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Man, does his voice sound flat in that clip...

Also, I don't know what you're talking about. His latest album was surprisingly great!

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I mean the melodies. His voice is flat also cuz the track was created by a fan and is not an actual comp that stapp sang on. The melodies are more lie adlibs i think till that point. His voice needed work during Proof of Life for sure. I liked space between the shadows better thn proof of life but it just ain't the magic I think the guy can create. The lyrics were average for the most part imo and the instrument work was generic. His voice was strong on the album but thats it. I really think stapp needs to sit with a guitar player who he could vibe with all over again and hopefully write an acoustic heavy album which shines and is unique in its composition that the gereic stuff that his so called writing team is composing. One of my favourite solo albums ever by any artists has got to be Euphoria Morning by Chris Cornell, and that is some great songwriting imo. Stapp had that potential, sadly, it seems to me like he has been influenced to change his style to make a new impression. I just hope Stapp can make more heartfelt music than stuff thats borderline generic.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Sure, things could be better.
But like 99% of musicians, he's probably never going to be as creative as he was at his peak in his 20's.
The guy's 46, and no one cares about new music coming from him. Even if he wrote the best song of his career, radio still wouldn't play it, because it's still a cool thing to bash Creed. He's aware of that, and I've heard him mention that radio "ban" during interviews last year.

Also, he worked with various musicians and producers in 2013, 2017 and 2019, and in the end, we've got 3 albums that have a similar vibe. I guess that he likes that generic instrumentation you're talking about...

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

I wouldn't care about radio covering him if he could write like he used to again. I believe if Stapp could just get back into his moodier vibe again, the fans around the globe would be enough to support the guy and his career. Honestly, I really enjoyed Myles' solo album , I thought the song writing was beautiful but then again Myles' is great with the guitar when left alone. Stapp on the other hand needs to write with people who will let him be, I got a feeling thats not happening. His latest solo work doesn't sound like his style in terms of musical compositions. Part of the songs are great, and parts ruin it. For example Red Clouds is a good song but the chorus just takes a lot away from the song and adds a lot of cheese to it. I honestly do believe Stapp needs to really dig deeper than he has been.

Edit: The Album with Alex Bodnar and Zelick would have been Epic. I heard his delray versions and demos again after long. Those songs were badass and not generic imo. Bodnar's playing was quite unique. Who Am I, Somber and Pry for Sunrise sounded epic with Bodnar on them, and I thought the songs were ruined the way they were put out. Songs like Original Sin, Crazy , Criminal and a few others seemed to have good potential. Stapp sounds good on Between Shadows , the songs are not bad, they are good, its just that they lack the depth or the feels Stapp has always been known , and thats my opinion as tastes would be subjective. Heaven in Me has got that old school vibe to it, but the bridge again ruins it. His solo band needs to be comprised of good writers who'd compliment Stapp.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Artists evolve. As much as I'd love to hear the 1997-2001 Stapp, that dude doesn't exist anymore. It's the same thing for the 1997-2004 Tremonti.
We can either accept it, and try to enjoy what they bring later in their career, or refuse to accept the new artists they've become. If we compare their new stuff to their classic stuff, of course w're going to get disappointed.
You know, it's the same thing for all artists: after a while, no one cares about what they release, and they just want the old stuff, no matter how good the new material is.

As to Stapp in particular, I respectfully think you're wrong when you say fans around the globe would support the guy and his career.
Why do I say that ? Because Creed was popular TWENTY years ago, back in the MTV and VH1 days where you had to buy a CD to listen to the one song you liked. People who were fans are now adults, with careers, families and responsibilities. Most of them don't care about a rock star from their youth who hasn't had a hit single since 2001. Occasionally, they'll listen to music they liked when they were young, mainly for nostalgia. But going to a rock concert? Nah, that's for young folks! :D
Last edited by chtimixeur on Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Them Bones
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Them Bones »

Creed's youtube videos have ever increasing numbers as views, their spotify is great for an inactive band. Fact that Creed is still spoken about both in positive and in negative light after all these years shows a massive impact , and, there are legions of fans outside of the world wide web. Creed or Stapp would draw a massive and I mean a massive crowd in my country if they ever showed up here, and the crowds would show up year after year if they did, cuz their statistics never told them how huge a following they still have at the ground level. Theres a bigger world outside of the internet that still cares.

I agree artists evolve, everyone does, but if the evolution is based on self doubt and a want to be different just to be seen in a different light again, to score points with the people who don't matter, yet need to be impressed, its not a genuine evolution imo.

Alice In Chains. They went through shit, they evolved, they still sound like Alice In Chains.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

I enjoy Stapp's solo career. I don't see it as Creed but that's the point. The Great Divide is my favorite because of Kurzweg and how similar the writing style is to Creed but I'm glad he's branched out. Proof of Life was Stapp trying to fit in with contemporaries like Daughtry and Lifehouse, and The Space Between the Shadows is Stapp pursuing a style of music he really loves. I think this is most evident with Gone Too Soon and Face of the Sun. Both songs are among my least favorite on the albums, but there's clearly passion to it.

I've already said I think Name, Heaven in Me, Ready to Love and Last Hallelujah sound like Chris Cornell goes Post Grunge, so maybe as he makes more music Stapp will settle into being himself more. The Space Between the Shadows actually has direction, as opposed to Proof of Life which was trying a bunch of styles at once to see what worked.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

As far as relevancy, I think that train left the station eons ago. Bands like Pearl Jam, Foo Fighters, Korn and Breaking Benjamin can't even get a gold record these days. So may as well just leave it be at this point. I heard Purpose for Pain a lot on my local radio

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Them Bones wrote:there are legions of fans outside of the world wide web. Creed or Stapp would draw a massive and I mean a massive crowd in my country if they ever showed up here, and the crowds would show up year after year if they did, cuz their statistics never told them how huge a following they still have at the ground level. Theres a bigger world outside of the internet that still cares.
I'm not so sure about that. Creed's success was mainly in America, and and we all know American crowds aren't exactly loyal. As soon as you're not hip anymore, you lose a big chunk of your audience, and Creed played to half-filled arenas in 2009, only 5 years after their hiatus. That your was not a success, and the people who bought a ticket were probably disappointed by Stapp's voice and the band's tempo issues. Releasing that 2009 DVD was probably one of the biggest mistakes they ever made, since it showed Creed now sucked as a live band.
Them Bones wrote:I agree artists evolve, everyone does, but if the evolution is based on self doubt and a want to be different just to be seen in a different light again, to score points with the people who don't matter, yet need to be impressed, its not a genuine evolution imo.
I also find it absurd and ridiculous that Mark cares so much about critics at his age.
It's quite sad that he's now believing all the BS they printed about Creed. It's like he forgot how loved that band was in its heyday.
Them Bones wrote:Alice In Chains. They went through shit, they evolved, they still sound like Alice In Chains.
Yup, but they're far less succesful than they were back in the day.
Devil Inside You wrote: The Space Between the Shadows actually has direction, as opposed to Proof of Life which was trying a bunch of styles at once to see what worked.
Good call about both albums. It's a shame he added Wake-up call to the tracklist, though, since this song doesn't belong with the rest of the album.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

For sure man. Somber should have easily been in Wake Up Call's place. If he does another one of those intimate fan shows, I'm going to ask him if he can re-release the original version, or start playing it live. Art of Anarchy fucking butchered that song in a way that's baffling to me. I also think Somber was one of the few songs where Stapp's (then) ruptured voice sang well.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I never liked Somber, or the demos he previewed during a live video and that didn't make the cut on Proof of Life. On all that stuff, he sounded completely lost musically.