Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 04

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!

BOTTN: Track 04

Poll ended at Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:34 pm

Burn It Down
18%
Buried Alive
16%
All Hope Is Gone
8%
Lover
32%
My Champion
8%
Godspeed
18%

Total votes: 38

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 04

Post by Blackbird »

Track 03 Winner: Ghost Of Days Gone By (AB III)

The Last Blackbird Fortress Remains The Sky III.5
(that name is even more ridiculous than last time.)

01. Cry Of Achilles
02. Isolation
03. Ghost Of Days Gone By
04. -
05. -
06. -
07. -
08. -
09. -
10. -
11. -
12. -
13. -
14. -
15. -
16. -
17. -
PLEASE DO NOT VOTE "WALK THE SKY" SONGS JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE FRESH IN YOUR MEMORY. PLEASE CONSIDER ALL SONGS AND HOW MUCH YOU LOVED THEM WHEN YOU FIRST HEARD THEM. TAKE YOUR TIME VOTING.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Battle Of The Track Numbers: Track 04

Post by Arctic »

Choosing between Buried Alive and Lover is too hard. Two of my all time favorites.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

The choice for me is between Lover and Burn It Down. Went with Lover, though again this could change on any particular day depending on my mood.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Had to go Lover. It’s one of those songs that can still give me goosebumps listening to it today. It’s one of Myles most intense vocal performances and the guitar work is amazing even without a solo.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

100% Agreed on that. I think it's one of their best songs, hands down. Probably in their top 10 for me.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Easiest choice on the album - Lover.

Still boggles the mind how good that album is.
For all of the hope that it brings...

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Everything I've known tells me to choose Lover. Great song. But I think Godspeed may be one of those special songs we talk about years from now.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Lover is that special tune that doesn't really seem to be a typical Alter Bridge song, but is one of the best things they've ever produced. It's as close to a fucking anthem as a "non-epic" gets, it's Myles' greatest performance throughout a whole song and as Arctic said, I still get goosebumps listening to it under the right circumstances.

Burn It Down is amazing as well and in my top 20, but not as great as Lover. All Hope Is Gone is a wonderful track with a fantastic bridge. Godspeed has a nice feeling and very good verses, but a chorus that's a bit too cheesy.

Buried Alive is the worst song from Blackbird and My Champion just sucks. The only reason it's not the worst TLH track is that YWBR sucks even more.

Lover
Burn It Down
All Hope Is Gone
Godspeed

Buried Alive

My Champion

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I seem to be one of the weird ones who loves Buried Alive. The opening and closing solos makes it unique and it has one of my favorite bridges of all time. Shame it had to go against Lover.

And I used to dislike My Champion because the lyrics are pure cheese, but there is some really nice guitar work and a surprisingly great solo.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Buried Alive is a fantastic song.

Lover is my favorite from the bunch, but I haven't been able to stop listening to Godspeed, since Walk The Sky came out, so I went with that one since Lover will probably win anyway.

Strong list though. All Hope Is Gone and Burn It Down are all too tier AB songs for me as well.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Buried Alive is as rock and fucking roll as it gets!

Blackbird
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Blackbird »

Arctic wrote:I seem to be one of the weird ones who loves Buried Alive. The opening and closing solos makes it unique and it has one of my favorite bridges of all time. Shame it had to go against Lover.

And I used to dislike My Champion because the lyrics are pure cheese, but there is some really nice guitar work and a surprisingly great solo.
Both songs suffer from very weak choruses for me. That's basically the problem with almost all AB songs I don't like that much. Buried Alive is still alright, it's got some good parts, it's just weaker than the rest of Blackbird in my eyes (save One By One which I like more musically, but hate lyrically).

The chorus of My Champion really makes me cringe. The pre-chorus is great, and afaik, was originally planned to be the actual chorus until Myles came around with this... bullshit.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Lover has the most votes? Wow...

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Bleed It Dry was robbed.

Lover is the one here.

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

Sad that the best song on AB III has to go up against Lover, but Lover is too good

Lover
All Hope Is Gone

Burn It Down
Buried Alive
Godspeed

My Champion

Oh and I'm still mad at y'all for Brand New Start losing :(

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I'm one of the diehard AB fans who not only doesn't care for Burn It Down or Lover, but I kind of actually loathe Burn It Down and don't mind skipping Lover when it pops up on shuffle. That being said, there are some parts of Lover that I think are fine (the "Did you have to throw it all away?" part) and it surprisingly is one of my favorite songs on the RAH concert Blu-ray as it transitioned to a live orchestral performance amazingly well. It still sits near the bottom of the list though, with Burn It Down way buried.

The rest are definitely not cream of the crop for me either, but I genuinely like Buried Alive, All Hope Is Gone, and Godspeed. My Champion is a bit cringe-worthy and is held back by the mix (as is Godspeed IMO), but I still like it much more than I don't. I think Godspeed may be inching forward a bit by the newness factor, but I absolutely love the lyrics and the tone that it opens with and never lets up. All Hope Is Gone probably should be the clear-cut winner for me because I love that riff and the clean sound of Myles' voice in that, but there is something about me and AB when they do those verses that match exactly with what they are playing on guitar that irritates me (a lot like Waters Rising, Cradle to the Grave, and Dying Light).

Strange as it sounds, I think I'm going to have to crown Buried Alive in the top spot. The song is the most fun and has a frickin' solo in the beginning! You don't get that much anymore (I always think of Carry On Wayward Son when I get an opening solo). It's a filler track that I never want to skip when it plays. Heck, back in my college days when I was charting custom songs for Guitar Hero, this was the first Alter Bridge song that I went to. There is still an old video up of somebody playing my chart:

The troublesome placement is Godspeed, once again. It's going to be at the #2 spot for me right now, and it may wear thinner on me over time... but there is a lot that I like about the song where I at least think I can say: "I'm okay if it sits above All Hope Is Gone." It's not the top spot anyway, so that doesn't matter in this polling.

Ah, so my list then!

Buried Alive
Godspeed
All Hope Is Gone
My Champion
Lover
Burn It Down

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Lover
My Champion/Buried Alive
Godspeed

Burn It Down/All Hope Is Gone

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

This is the first one I've been legitimately stumped. "Burn it Down" and "Lover" are top tier Alter Bridge and I feel like there is no correct choice. BID is the song that sold me on Myles's voice when the 30-second previews were released for ODR, as it included the "hard to tell my nights from my days" line. It has that dark vibe, genius melodies, and perhaps the coolest part is one of Mark's best solos ever as the song's climax. "Lover" is equally dark and just overflowing with emotion. Ultimately I went with BID because of how much it sticks out to me even now, after five subsequent albums.

"Buried Alive" isn't far behind. It has one of Alter Bridge's coolest riffs and I love the intro and outro solos. "Godspeed" would be next with its emotional vibe, strong verse melodies, and slightly less memorable chorus melody.

Next would be "My Champion", whose cheesiness is just outweighed by its infectious melodies. Finally "All Hope is Gone" is gratuitously dark amongst an already dark album, and its melodies and riffs don't stand up to the rest of AB's catalogue IMO.

Burn it Down
Lover
Buried Alive
Godspeed
My Champion
All Hope is Gone
MuffinMcFluffin wrote:I'm one of the diehard AB fans who not only doesn't care for Burn It Down or Lover, but I kind of actually loathe Burn It Down and don't mind skipping Lover when it pops up on shuffle.
Holy moly... God bless this fan base and its diverse preferences.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I voted for Godspeed on this one mainly because it’s the song I tend to go to the most on WTS, but Lover and Buried Alive are both awesome.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Call it recency bias, but I went for Godspeed. That song really grew on me after the initial listen, but man when it finally hit me...