Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
prslover
TABN.com Citizen

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by prslover »

anguyen92 wrote:
prslover wrote:Whatever , I didnt come to start a fight about Tool and AB. Although I think some of you are kinda weird for not embracing the only Rock band other than Metallica to be able to cause a ruckus in the music world that is saturated in commercial garbage.
That's because I've been listening to some Jpop/Jrock around that period and find myself feeling more relaxed than I have ever been not really focusing more on the state of the music world. Also, I've gone to 20+ concerts this year listening to all kinds of bands, so I've mainly tuned out on what's happening in the mainstream world and I feel better for it.
Fair enough , Rock On!

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

For the record, the new Tool album is good (go and listen to 7empest) and it’s great that a rock album knocked off the pop drivel currently in the charts.

Hopefully Walk The Sky can make a bit of an impact.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

OK, so I feel I will need some time and a couple of spins to digest this album, before I can truly say what I think about it.
I ordered all available versions to my knowledge (fortunately for me only one CD-version this time beside the boxset-version, but at least 7 different colour vinyl versions), but sadly on releaseday only received 1 red vinyl version, the rest all got delayed.
I can tell one thing for sure : the vinyl played through my old eighties-hifi-set with immense speakers sounds so much better productionwise compared to any digital version I heard so far !

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

anguyen92 wrote:
prslover wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:
prslover wrote:Listened through it once so far , not nearly enough to give it a fair rating. But I can say this, there's not a song on there that is even a quarter as good as Pnuema from FI
I'm sorry, the what now? Is Pnuema the album and FI is the band or something? Not everyone here is in the know with that kind of stuff.
Ok i'll play along, lets ignore the fact that Tool just put Rock and Roll back in the mainstream by knocking Taylor Swift down a peg. Breaking multiple records with their latest release Fear Inoculum.
I'm actually glad you played along since I didn't know what Pnuema was referring to until I googled it and saw the name Tool and my brain just zoned out when I read the name Tool. I can't help it. I just can't care about them or their new album (heard it, didn't really feel much). Good for the people that waited a long time for this album and they are happy about it as the results are shown for themselves, but I don't really care if the album succeeds or fails or how it helps the Rock community in the mainstream and whatnot.
This completely. I had no idea what was meant by "Pnuema from FI" either, as Tool is largely completely off of my radar when it comes to music. I like a handful of their songs, and certainly respect what they do and the following that they have, but their music largely just isn't for me. Whether a band is bringing "Rock and Roll back in the mainstream" or breaking records, etc. has no impact on whether I enjoy or don't enjoy a band...I pay virtually no attention to what's mainstream or what's on the radio. It's awesome that people are connecting with their music and that much, and I'm glad if it appears to be causing some small resurgence of rock music...though I'm not going to embrace any band for anything if I don't personally care for their music.

That all being said, I did get to listen to Walk the Sky once through this morning on the way to work (skipping the pre-release tracks), and I really enjoy the album! It's quite possibly their most consistent front to back album, even if it doesn't quite reach the highs of Blackbird or Fortress, though I still need to listen a few more times before I can give any sort of definitive opinion on anything. I will say though, you guys were 100% right on how good Forever Falling is, as it's probably my favorite on the record (whoever compared it to Trivium was spot on, as unexpected as that was...the intro and main riff gave me some Kirisute Gomen vibes).
Last edited by VigilantSteve on Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Had a listen through. Godspeed was the definite stand out and easily my favourite track. Tear Us Apart and Dying Light were pretty good too but nothing else really grabbed me.

Not going to badmouth the album, realised a long time ago that AB just isn't really for me anymore but I'll always check out their new stuff purely on the nostalgia value.

Glad to see they incorporated some synth and mixed things up a bit but it still felt very safe and AB, not as dramatic a shake up in sound as some here are making out to be. After listening I realised I'd really fucking love AB to make a pop album and just fully embrace their knack for writing catchy melodies without any of the chugga chugga metal riffs.
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Kreuger wrote:Don't understand the hate for Breathe Again.
I love a bunch of their softer songs like Watch Over You and Life Must Go On, but stuff like Breathe Again and Twilight and Make It Right sounds toothless to me. The band sounds like they're on autopilot.

I actually think the middle of ABIII suffers most from this. Void, Isolation, Ghosts, Life, and Words are among my favorite AB songs ever, but the rest of the album does almost nothing for me.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

UninvitedZero wrote:I'm still not entirely sold on Native Son or Clear Horizon...

Is anyone else hearing the band HIM in the intro of Godspeed?! It's like something straight from "Razorblade Romance"!
I didn't notice this but I kinda love HIM so...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Overall this album is sooooo much better than The Last Hero. I'm quite surprised how popular Godspeed is. For me it sounds like a typical radio rock song. A quite good one, tho.
After 2 playthroughs:
Favorite: Forever Falling
Least Favorite: The Bitter End

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Fear Inoculum is great. Coincidentally, Tool and Alter Bridge are the only two hard rock / metal bands I still follow. And I'm seeing them both in concert this month for the first time in 12 years. :P

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Listening now. Sounds like the best stuff (except Dying Light) was not released pre-release. Have to listen a lot more but WOW so far. That Forever Falling riff is a kick in the face and awesome after a very old school Tremonti intro. Getting goosebumps listening to Godspeed right now. Clear Horizon surprised me even if it is very mainstream rock

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

Man, didn't realise so many people hated The Last Hero. Thought it was a decent album. I feel like it's miles better than ABIII at least.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

I feel quite the opposite of that.
TLH is still by far their weakest album and does not come near the quality of ABIII or any of their first 4 albums.
Since the band play almost no TLH-tracks during their recent gigs, I think they feel the same themselves about TLH.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

riemslag1 wrote:
Since the band play almost no TLH-tracks during their recent gigs, I think they feel the same themselves about TLH.
Mark also stated that they produced TLH in a rush, which he didn't like. So yeah, they probably aren't a fan of this album either.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:
Mark also stated that they produced TLH in a rush, which he didn't like. So yeah, they probably aren't a fan of this album either.
That's so weird since they only had five weeks to pre-pro and record Walk the Sky, but then again, they had complete demos of the songs going into to it, so the process was probably more smoother doing it that way.

I'm not sure how they rushed The Last Hero though. Myles wasn't touring with Slash at the time and Tremonti wasn't doing any tours until Late May. They had 5 months to sort out everything they need to do for that album.

Mullet151
Brand New Start

Post by Mullet151 »

riemslag1 wrote:I feel quite the opposite of that.
TLH is still by far their weakest album and does not come near the quality of ABIII or any of their first 4 albums.
That does not really mean anything though. On the Fortress tour they were only playing isolation and ghost. The previous album often times gets the short end of the stick due to various reasons like they just played the heck out of them. There are numerous TLH songs that will continue to resurface live.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mullet151 wrote:
That does not really mean anything though. On the Fortress tour they were only playing isolation and ghost. The previous album often times gets the short end of the stick due to various reasons like they just played the heck out of them. There are numerous TLH songs that will continue to resurface live.
I'm not certain if that would actually be the case for The Last Hero. On The Last Hero tour, they were playing four songs off Fortress on the regular with the rarity of them playing the title track or Lover (mainly around the time they are ready to play the Royal Albert Hall shows). I still would want to see Crows on a Wire and Island of Fools live though.

Mullet151
Brand New Start

Post by Mullet151 »

anguyen92 wrote:
Mullet151 wrote:
I'm not certain if that would actually be the case for The Last Hero. On The Last Hero tour, they were playing four songs off Fortress on the regular with the rarity of them playing the title track or Lover (mainly around the time they are ready to play the Royal Albert Hall shows). I still would want to see Crows on a Wire and Island of Fools live though.
Fortress is obviously a little different based off of the huge fan reaction they got but surprisingly it was only a 2 song lock on the TLH tour with Achillies and WR. Sun was still getting rotated with FTR

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

anguyen92 wrote:
Mullet151 wrote:
I'm still perplexed that Island of Fools isn't a regular in their live set. Have they ever even played it at all?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

They have played it from time to time in the initial tour dates in Europe and the States, but not so much around the period of the Summer festivals onwards.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Props to Mark for name-dropping Myles before his first chorus in Forever Falling.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.