Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by Arctic »

As a whole album, this might even be their best effort top to bottom. Even on the classics like Blackbird and Fortress there are at least a couple of songs that I’m pretty ‘meh’ on. This time the only song I’m not that hyped on is In the Deep, and even it has a really nice riff. There’s seriously not a song aside from that where I feel like skipping.

I don’t think it’s because it’s new either. When Fortress first came out I was like ‘eehhh’ on Peace is Broken and FTTS right away, the same with Break Me Down and One By One/Coming Home on Blackbird. This is just legitimately solid almost all the way through.

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Arctic wrote:As a whole album, this might even be their best effort top to bottom. Even on the classics like Blackbird and Fortress there are at least a couple of songs that I’m pretty ‘meh’ on. This time the only song I’m not that hyped on is In the Deep, and even it has a really nice riff. There’s seriously not a song aside from that where I feel like skipping.
Yep there are no bad songs, none which are skippable which even Blackbird/Fortress had (two of their best albums IMO).

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

As an alter Bridge Fan I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart I have never been so disappointed with one of their albums. I have no idea why they went this direction. Gone are the great hooks of the past songs, replaced by a generic sounding rock album that shows they really put zero collective effort into this until it was time to record. I mean has Tremonti become so obsessed with his side band that this is what we as Alter Bridge fans are relegated to? Every album previously released was a banger and was craft and inventive. This whole album feels vanilla. No great solos, minimal rememberable riffs and the best lyrical content and hooks were on the songs that they released as singles. What happened?? This cannot be the same band that wrote a masterpiece like fortress. I don’t get it. You have an acclaimed album like that and here we are with this. I’m beyond words. Marks last solo album blew this away and you can tell the effort on his part wasn’t there. I honest felt like all the singles they put out were the best of this album. I’m glad I was able to listen on Spotify and not pay for this. My personal advice to these guys and I love them is look in the mirror and figure out what your priority is. I never thought I would be so sad and disappointed by my favorite band. These side projects have absolutely destroyed this band. I don’t care how anyone on here sugar coats it. These songs are not alter Bridge.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Lyric booklet's got a weird thing in Take the Crown - end of it has "so sorry, so sorry, but we'll take the crown", which I'm pretty sure isn't there.
For all of the hope that it brings...

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

John3977 wrote:As an alter Bridge Fan I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart I have never been so disappointed with one of their albums. I have no idea why they went this direction. Gone are the great hooks of the past songs, replaced by a generic sounding rock album that shows they really put zero collective effort into this until it was time to record. I mean has Tremonti become so obsessed with his side band that this is what we as Alter Bridge fans are relegated to? Every album previously released was a banger and was craft and inventive. This whole album feels vanilla. No great solos, minimal rememberable riffs and the best lyrical content and hooks were on the songs that they released as singles. What happened?? This cannot be the same band that wrote a masterpiece like fortress. I don’t get it. You have an acclaimed album like that and here we are with this. I’m beyond words. Marks last solo album blew this away and you can tell the effort on his part wasn’t there. I honest felt like all the singles they put out were the best of this album. I’m glad I was able to listen on Spotify and not pay for this. My personal advice to these guys and I love them is look in the mirror and figure out what your priority is. I never thought I would be so sad and disappointed by my favorite band. These side projects have absolutely destroyed this band. I don’t care how anyone on here sugar coats it. These songs are not alter Bridge.
Different strokes for different folks. I couldn't disagree more. If you have no problem with ABIII, I don't see why you would have such a problem with this album.

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
John3977 wrote:As an alter Bridge Fan I can honestly say from the bottom of my heart I have never been so disappointed with one of their albums. I have no idea why they went this direction. Gone are the great hooks of the past songs, replaced by a generic sounding rock album that shows they really put zero collective effort into this until it was time to record. I mean has Tremonti become so obsessed with his side band that this is what we as Alter Bridge fans are relegated to? Every album previously released was a banger and was craft and inventive. This whole album feels vanilla. No great solos, minimal rememberable riffs and the best lyrical content and hooks were on the songs that they released as singles. What happened?? This cannot be the same band that wrote a masterpiece like fortress. I don’t get it. You have an acclaimed album like that and here we are with this. I’m beyond words. Marks last solo album blew this away and you can tell the effort on his part wasn’t there. I honest felt like all the singles they put out were the best of this album. I’m glad I was able to listen on Spotify and not pay for this. My personal advice to these guys and I love them is look in the mirror and figure out what your priority is. I never thought I would be so sad and disappointed by my favorite band. These side projects have absolutely destroyed this band. I don’t care how anyone on here sugar coats it. These songs are not alter Bridge.
Different strokes for different folks. I couldn't disagree more. If you have no problem with ABIII, I don't see why you would have such a problem with this album.

I can’t think of one song from this album that even compares to ABIII. What on here compares to Words are Darker, Isolation, Ghosts of Days, core de lean and so on. None of this does. It sounds like AB has become like every other commercial rock band trying to score a hit by changing their sound to be more commercial. I cant understand a comparison to that album. This album is their absolute worst effort to date.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

For people who state that there are no bad songs here - what do you say about The Bitter End and Tear Us Apart? I'm sorry but that's AB at its cheesiest.
Last edited by Dolo on Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Commercial? I doubt it. Most of the songs are fairly heavy. I couldn’t disagree more about the side projects ‘destroying’ Alter Bridge after listening to the album. The effort is definitely apparent to me with this one.

As far as cheesiness goes, are those two kind of cheesy lyrically? Yeah I suppose, but the music behind it is great, which is what I care about.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Dolo wrote:For people who state that there are no bad songs here - what do you say about The Bitter End and Tear Us Apart? I'm sorry but that's AB at its cheesiest.
Two of the best songs on the album. Uplifting and positive doesn't have to equal cheesy every time. It's ok for Myles to write about being happy and having things figured out.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

You all suck, lol. I still don't have my copy.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

John3977 wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:

I can’t think of one song from this album that even compares to ABIII. What on here compares to Words are Darker, Isolation, Ghosts of Days, core de lean and so on. None of this does. It sounds like AB has become like every other commercial rock band trying to score a hit by changing their sound to be more commercial. I cant understand a comparison to that album. This album is their absolute worst effort to date.
Sorry man, sucks you feel that way. Better luck in 3 years I guess :shrug

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

Arctic wrote:Commercial? I doubt it. Most of the songs are fairly heavy. I couldn’t disagree more about the side projects ‘destroying’ Alter Bridge after listening to the album. The effort is definitely apparent to me with this one.

As far as cheesiness goes, are those two kind of cheesy lyrically? Yeah I suppose, but the music behind it is great, which is what I care about.
My point is that THEY EVEN ADMITTED that they didn’t collectively work together on this. It was pieces together. Every other album they wrote they collaborated time wise and the result is an album full of songs that feel I incomplete and lacking. The Last Hero blew this ALBUM out of the water by a fucking landslide and that’s not even my favorite album but at least it was AB. This album if I could compare it to something is like Infant Sorrows African Child ...AB is four guys working together and rocking out a fucking metal rock album. Not a fucking album whose free songs provided more bang than the actual product you pay for. You can have your opinion. This is not the old AB, this is just sad.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

The problem is you say I can have my ‘opinion’ and you state your angry criticism as fact. This sounds exactly like Alter Bridge to me, and it also absolutely kicks The Last Hero in the nuts. Still their worst album.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote: Two of the best songs on the album. Uplifting and positive doesn't have to equal cheesy every time. It's ok for Myles to write about being happy and having things figured out.
As someone who has a high sensitivity to cheese, I went into both of those expecting to be less happy (as I was straight away with Breathe Again and You Will Be Remembered). But I liked both of these immediately.
For all of the hope that it brings...

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

Arctic wrote:The problem is you say I can have my ‘opinion’ and you state your angry criticism as fact. This sounds exactly like Alter Bridge to me, and it also absolutely kicks The Last Hero in the nuts. Still their worst album.
lol...So funny...It is what it is...All good things must come to an end. Maybe the next album will be better. As far as this album vs TLH I guess it is opinion. I just don’t know how you can go from Fortress to this...And people on here think think this is a good thing. Maybe after another 10 or 11 listens I’ll change my mind but I’m really having a hard time being excited about anything listening to this../

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Hey you’re free to have your opinion. I went in expecting to be disappointed and found the opposite. It’s a bummer that it didn’t land for you.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Arctic wrote:Hey you’re free to have your opinion. I went in expecting to be disappointed and found the opposite. It’s a bummer that it didn’t land for you.
Same

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote: Two of the best songs on the album. .

.....Seriously? Your taste has to be really specific. For me the subject matter and the instrumentation is just too much to bear.

On unrelated note: do I heard a banjo in Indoctrination?
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Schulzy
White Knuckled

Post by Schulzy »

I came home for a quick lunch break and my Earbook and shirt had arrived from Napalm! The Earbook is gorgeous with the photos and lyrics! I listened to the first three songs on my sound system and all I can say is wow! So much more full and clear than the YouTube videos that have been released. Incredible difference to my ears on Wouldn't You Rather and In The Deep. I'm cautiously optimistic after being disappointed in The Last Hero.
_^:Tangled in your trance and I'm certain:^_

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Just to clarify, the previous albums (at least Fortress and TLH that I know of) consisted mostly of songs that were pieced together by Myles and Mark by putting different separately written parts together. This album has songs that were written as songs by (mainly) one person and not some parts jumbled together. After that, as I understand and just like before, the rest of the band comes in at preproduction and makes everything sound like it should. Not much changed about the 'collectiveness', I think.

As for the album, I need some time with it. Like the songs, but do miss some longer songs/epics. I do think overall the album is really good and consistent.