Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Re: Walk The Sky Reaction Thread

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Idk how you feel about The Bitter End, but it makes me appreciate the time I have being alive. It's essentially about acknowledging that death, or "the bitter end" will come, but until then I'm going to live and love my life.
Last edited by ToNsOFuN88 on Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Just for further comment on The Bitter End for anyone interested, when it was said that this album was the answer to ABIII, this is what they were talking about. Myles found his peace. When I say don't worry about song lengths, this is what I'm taking about. Shortest song aside from One Life, and it's one of the best songs on the album. I want y'all to think about that before you listen. The growth and comfort he found from then to now. That's beautiful to me.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Has anyone noticed any solos that may be done by Myles?
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Are you able to use VPN on Spotify and other apps to listen to the album?

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

http://www.riffmagazine.com/album-revie ... k-the-sky/
ALBUM REVIEW: Alter Bridge uses the past as a guide on ‘Walk The Sky’
Mike DeWald October 17, 2019, 12:01 am

Since forming in 2004 after the demise of Creed, Florida’s Alter Bridge built a reputation as one of the most reliable hard rock bands. Mixing metallic riffs with a double dose of melody, the band has developed a signature sound with five studio releases and 15 years of relentless touring. The band has avoided repetition by finding new avenues to push itself in for both performance and songwriting. Alter Bridge continues that trend on Walk The Sky. This sixth album takes ingredients from all of its past releases to create something surprisingly varied.

Guitarist Mark Tremonti, drummer Scott Phillips, bassist Brian Marshall and former Mayfield Four vocalist Myles Kennedy are musician’s musicians. From Tremonti’s dexterous solos and blazing riffs to Kennedy’s rock voice, Walk The Sky finds these guys at the top of their game.

Though dialed down slightly from prior records like Sky, Alter Bridge hasn’t become any less rocking. Its production has an old-school rawness, bolstered by nuanced songwriting. Walk The Sky combines the melodic emphasis of the band’s early days with the heavy riff dosage of its middle era and the complex song structures of more recent material. The result sounds fresh but familiar for longtime fans of the band.
From the trippy atmospheric drama of intro track “One Life” to the face punch of “Wouldn’t You Rather,” Alter Bridge wastes no time in bursting out of the gates. The song emphasizes a dual guitar attack; one if the most underrated elements of the band. While Tremonti’s lead guitar work gets much of the attention, Kennedy has some mighty chops himself. The two trade riffs and solos back and forth, building the song’s dynamic foundation with Phillips and Marshall adeptly rounding out the rhythm section.

“In The Deep” sports a potent ’80s rock influence alongside its heavier, grungier vibes. Tremonti’s vocal chops have also developed considerably, as he and Kennedy trade lead vocals during the upbeat “Godspeed.” He’s certainly come a long way from his past as a backing vocalist. The band’s collective confidence is evident, as “Native Son” crashes its way through with some of the album’s heaviest riffs.
“I’m a native son in a foreign land/ And I’m just living in a world that I can’t understand,” Kennedy sings is his signature upper register. Even when Alter Bridge gets heavy, the band never sacrifices melody or its bluesy undercurrent. “Indoctrination” starts as an Alice-In-Chains-esque layered grunge song before escalating into a full-throttle hard rock jam. The song’s arrangement starts and ends in completely different places, while the driving vocal highlight “The Bitter End” keeps things uncomplicated and hard-hitting.

Pay No Mind” presents some interesting choices, supplementing its inexorable rock instrumentation with atmospheric electronic loops. These experimental moments generally pay off because Alter Bridge never sacrifices its identity to fit within a new context. “Forever Falling” includes another prominent lead vocal from Tremonti before closing out with a blistering guitar attack.

The album nears the finish line with a heavy emphasis on post-grunge vocal melodies on “Clear Horizon” and “Walking In the Sky.” It closes out with soaring anthem “Dying Light.” While it’s too aggressive to be classified as a ballad, the final cut provides a more emotional, introspective end to a record full of hard rock bangers.
Walk The Sky won’t necessarily shock and surprise, but it’s a formidable entry in an consistent catalog. Alter Bridge blurs the line between expectation and experimentation to create an exceedingly enjoyable rock and roll album.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

benjoAB wrote:Are you able to use VPN on Spotify and other apps to listen to the album?
I don't think VPN works with Spotify. But it's still the 17th in New Zealand though.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It's here! Unfortunately part of my deal with the Old Ones is that I have to go for a run before listening. TonsofFun - I will be full of opinions soon.

I think this'll be the first time my first listen has been with the actual CD since ODR, heh.
For all of the hope that it brings...

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://www.kerrang.com/reviews/album-r ... k-the-sky/
REVIEWS
ALBUM REVIEW: ALTER BRIDGE – WALK THE SKY

U.S. arena-rock heroes Alter Bridge return with all guns blazing on Walk The Sky
Words: Ian Winwood

They don’t make bands like Alter Bridge anymore. At least, not very often they don’t. There are parts of Walk The Sky, the quartet’s sixth album, when the music contained within this 14-song, 60-minute set hits the kind of altitude one would sometimes hear in the golden age of heavy rock from the 1980s. It’s the kind of thing that would be summoned up by a full-throated Ronnie James Dio during a gig at which he’d do battle with an aluminium sword against a fiberglass dragon that breathed smoke from the back of the stage. If this sounds like a criticism, it really isn’t. Hell, what with the success of Game Of Thrones, even dragons are back in vogue.

With its amplifiers dialled up to 11, and with vocalist Myles Kennedy hitting the high notes like an air-balloonist with a death wish, what is on offer here is superior music from a fearless band. Walk The Sky may have its feet planted squarely on the terra firma of mainstream rock music – and, if played in a different style, even pop music – but in terms of its delivery, Alter Bridge have blown the dam in order to flood the world below with volume and technique. In doing so, the band understand that power is nothing without control; when the music is reined in, as it is on parts of the Soundgarden-esque Walking On The Sky – not in the sky, you’ll notice, but on it – they purr like a finely tuned engine popping out for a pint of milk and a paper. There is power beneath the hood, but there is patience at the wheel.

But for the most part, this is rootin’ tootin’, balls-to-the-wall stuff. What else would it be? Mark Tremonti remains one of the finest and most explosive guitarists in rock, and any album he’s involved in will squeal like a rat in a gangster movie. Throw Myles Kennedy – at the very least a contender for the classiest vocalist in classic rock – into the mix and the results are hardly likely to be subdued. But with songs of the quality of the soaring Wouldn’t You Rather, the propulsive and insistent Native Son, and the waltz-time wonder of closing song Dying Light, there is enough expertise at work here to make the bombast – what’s the word? – manageable.

There is an argument to be made that a more varied pace might have made the overall feel of the album slightly less uniform. But in terms of producing a superior rock record that manages to combine a sense of modernity with being fully briefed on the heritage from which it is formed, Walk The Sky is hard to beat.

Verdict: 4/5

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Annnnnnnnd it has leaked.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

The Bitter End is going to be the You Will Be Remembered of this record.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Must. Resist.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

phatnonphatness
Loyal Follower

Post by phatnonphatness »

First thoughts:

I like the general sound of the album, it's quite up-tempo without super heavy songs, mixing seems a bit harsh and it doesn't help that large parts of the album are soundwalled with too many guitars or vocal overdubs, lots of Slash/Conspirators influence throughout the album.

The tracks are (mostly) well written though, the only ones I'm not really a fan of are Godspeed and Dying Light - oddly those seem to be the favourites for a few on here.

One Life - amazing intro!
Native Son - some good riffs
Indoctrination - most of this song is awesome, let down by the verse guitar riff
Forever Falling - great song with a pretty decent solo and outro

Rest of the album was still quite good but nothing else really stood out.

EDIT: Actually, forgot The Bitter End, great track.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Kreuger wrote:Has anyone noticed any solos that may be done by Myles?
Im almost 100% positive the only lead Myles has on the record is the few bends he does in the bridge of Dying Light. Every other lead on the record sounds like Mark.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

I was really nervous about this album and happy to report think i actually love it. Biggest con is the lack of guitar solos like what happened there ? But alas the the second half of the album has amazing energy and truly sounds like AB trying new things. Honestly dont think it sounds like any of their other albums. Also Godspeed is fantastic totally should have been a single. Forever Falling and Clear Horizon are brilliant Myles vocals on Clear Horizon a standout for me.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

A lot of you scared me with your opinions about the album but I’m so happy now that I just listened to it and I love it :cloud9

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

I absolutely love the direction they're going with this album! Didn't get the goosebumps I had when I first listened to Fortress but songs like Godspeed, Indoctrination, Forever Falling or Clear Horizon definitely blew my mind!!! Also I'm really enjoying the synth parts on this record! :bow :rockon

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

LosingPatience wrote:I was really nervous about this album and happy to report think i actually love it. Biggest con is the lack of guitar solos like what happened there ? But alas the the second half of the album has amazing energy and truly sounds like AB trying new things. Honestly dont think it sounds like any of their other albums. Also Godspeed is fantastic totally should have been a single. Forever Falling and Clear Horizon are brilliant Myles vocals on Clear Horizon a standout for me.
Exactly my thought!

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Will post a more complete, in-depth review after a few days and more time with it, but after a few listens this is my initial song ranking:

Walking on the Sky
Wouldn’t You Rather
Forever Falling
Godspeed
Dying Light
Take the Crown
Indoctrination
Clear Horizon
In the Deep
The Bitter End
Native Son
Pay No Mind
One Life
Tear Us Apart
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

So far I’m really liking it. Godspeed is absolutely beautiful. Could have used a longer, BNS style solo but that’s just nitpicking at this point. The one it did have was fitting.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Dolo wrote:The Bitter End is going to be the You Will Be Remembered of this record.
As in people will think it's too cheesy? Idk I think this song is a little more personal and people will appreciate it more if they listen to what he's saying.

I'm glad you guys are finally getting to listen and are enjoying it. I told you that some of you that were nervous about it were going to be pleasantly surprised lol.