AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
nildiven
Bought The CDs

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by nildiven »

LosingPatience wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Someone on reddit got their copy today. They posted a little first reaction review for anyone interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alterbridge/co ... urce=share

Dying Light one of the best off the album........hmmm ok

Considering it's the best promo single they've released imo, that's preferable than reading a review that lists Wouldn't you Rather or In the Deep as one of the best.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I would be ok with that. I absolutely love that song. As long as it's "on of the..." than it's fine for me. :-)

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

nildiven wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Someone on reddit got their copy today. They posted a little first reaction review for anyone interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/alterbridge/co ... urce=share

Dying Light one of the best off the album........hmmm ok

Considering it's the best promo single they've released imo, that's preferable than reading a review that lists Wouldn't you Rather or In the Deep as one of the best.

For me its arguably the weakest, mostly coz its a closer and imo its weak

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

Myles playing more and more NON-PRS guitars!

This one's a EVH i believe!?

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Yeah it is. Pretty cool, maybe they mix and match some guitars to see how it changes the sound. Still kinda weird seeing Myles without a PRS haha!

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Awesome! That song translates really will live. Nice audio in that video too.

Kinda cool seeing Myles play that EVH model on a song channeling so many 80s sounds.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

RikJohannsen wrote:Myles playing more and more NON-PRS guitars!

This one's a EVH i believe!?

Huge EVH fan the reason i picked up a guitar, nerded out watching Myles play my fav guitar

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album ... k-the-sky/
Alter Bridge – Walk The Sky (Album Review)

Jonathan Smith By JONATHAN SMITH October 14, 2019

Triumphant hymns tread the distant skyline.

There is a common sentiment these days that hard rock has become a passé mode of expression, having been supposedly supplanted by the barrage of electronic dance music, pop/country and modern rap artists that can’t help but fill arenas with a highly simplistic auditory presentation. Particularly in the U.S., it seems that barring a tour by bands that were originally making waves several decades prior, the Billboard Top 200 has been all but monopolized by the Taylor Swifts and Katy Perrys of the world. Naturally the masses received an all too delicious shock to their protected little commercial world when the likes of Tool came along and managed to knock one of said pop stars off their proverbial high horse, proving that an album can be dark and still completely top the album charts. Though of a very different stylistic persuasion, a case could be made that American hard rock/post-grunge veteran outfit Alter Bridge would be equally deserving of such lionization, if their latest LP dubbed “Walk The Sky” is under consideration.

For those who may have been living in a bubble since the mid-2000s, this Florida outfit traces its roots back to the initial demise of 90s post-grunge pioneers and chart-toppers Creed in 2003, following a period of drama and diverging musical tastes. It thus becomes inevitable that the two outfits be contrasted from one another, and though legions of Scott Stapp and yarl enthusiasts my protest the fact, Alter Bridge is the superior band in just about every department. Much of this can be credited to front man and vocal extraordinaire Myles Kennedy, who brings a far more nimble and versatile persona into the mix that conjures up images of a more polished and less bleak answer to Chris Cornell of Soundgarden fame (R.I.P.), meshed with a number of prominent 80s heavy metal vocalists with comparably massive vocal ranges. But this is only the tip of the ice berg, as guitarist Mark Tremonti’s riff work became far more adventurous (due in no small part of Kennedy sharing guitar duties with him), the rhythm section comprised of bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips came off as a tad less formulaic, and the overall musical paradigm became more progressive.

Although their output has been in a clockwork fashion, putting out successive efforts every three years since their inception, Alter Bridge offers up a truly organic and borderline theatrical experience on their sixth studio go-around. Starting off on what can be best described as a humble, up close and personal ballad/prelude in “One Life”, the approach is one of nuance that finds the guitars providing a sort of soft, ambient backdrop that almost melts into a rich, orchestral sound and results in a dense accompaniment to Myles’ crooning notes. But this impressive one minute and twenty-six second ditty proves to be the calm before a mighty storm of blockbuster anthems that blur the lines between 90s alternative rock, 80s heavy metal and occasional glimmers of modern progressive metal seamlessly. Much of the formula at play carries a mystical quality, spearheaded by heavy-ended groove numbers with a sort of Led Zeppelin-inspired eastern musical flavor such as “Wouldn’t You Rather”, “Native Son”, and the Tool-inspired and droning beast “Indoctrination”, yet everything ultimately reaches a point of cadence that can be best described as triumphant.

In essence, while the stylistic presentation on here is highly varied and occasionally genre-defying, there is an overall sense of melodic catharsis that plays into the formula of these songs that makes them highly accessible. Sometimes the whole song is an exercise in simple alternative rock expressions that function as throwbacks to the 1990s with a slightly more refined presentation, as heard on “Godspeed” and “Tear Us Apart”, both of which could have been Creed songs were Kennedy’s soaring tenor traded out for Stapp’s yarling baritone. Then again, versatile musical journeys in concise packages such as “In The Deep”, “Take The Crown” and the riveting ballad turned progressive metallic romp “Walking On The Sky” are exercises in dynamic contrast and intricate moments that are in a world all their own, albeit one appealing enough for any would be passerby to enter. Perhaps the greatest treat for any would be metal heads considering this opus would be Tremonti’s semi-frequent guitar solos, which channel elements of Kirk Hammett circa 1991 and occasionally even George Lynch at times, a rarity for a mainstream rock outfit in this day and age.

While it might be a stretch to assert that this is the greatest offering out of Alter Bridge in a career now spanning 15 years, it is definitely a major boon for those seeking a more metallic version of their stock and trade, and functions about as well as any of their albums as an introduction to their handiwork. Resting on top of one of the finest modern production jobs given to a rock album of late is a collection of highly involved songs that run the gamut of just about every important band heard in the 90s and 2000s within the American rock scene, trimming away all of the lame, anti-virtuoso baggage of said era while still embodying the same aesthetic. Some songs on here shine a tad more brightly than others, with s special highlight being the thrashing riff monster “Forever Falling” which provides a dark blend of Metallica and Soundgarden influences that no metal fan could pass up, and the entire package being offered up here is a solid one that is sure to play well to a wide audience, and hopefully give the present day purveyors of bubble gum pop fluff a run for their money in album sales.

EXCELLENT

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Don't think this one was posted on here yet
https://crypticrock.com/alter-bridge-wa ... um-review/

walk the sky slide - Alter Bridge - Walk The Sky (Album Review)
OCTOBER 14, 2019 ALTER BRIDGE – WALK THE SKY (ALBUM REVIEW)
Vito Tanzi
"Forking over one of the most widely anticipated new releases in Hard Rock, Alter Bridge return to front and center with their brand new album,Walk The Sky, slated for arrival on Friday, October 18, 2019 on Napalm Records.

Though it seems like yesterday, it is hard to believe Alter Bridge first arrived out of the sunshine state of Florida back in 2004, fifteen years ago folks! Giving their all, Alter Bridge have taken Rock to another level and won over audiences worldwide with their vast and brightly raging brand of modernized Hard Rock. Individually, Alter Bridge consists of four almighty musicians who have been a part of this band since day one.

Co-captains of sorts, Vocalist/Guitarist Myles Kennedy and Lead Guitarist Mark Tremonti are at the center of the Alter Bridge soundscape, delivering electrifying qualities both vocally and musically that are difficult to put into words. All in all, one could say Kennedy and Tremonti are the “Mick & Keith” of Alter Bridge thanks to the duos amazing chemistry. Completing team Alter Bridge, Bassist Brian Marshall and Drummer Scott Phillips hold it all together as the concrete rhythm section that gives the Alter Bridge sound a hammering and intimately crisp feel.

Ready to take on the world once again, Alter Bridge began releasing singles off Walk The Sky back in June in order to promote their first collection of new material since 2016’s The Last Hero. Though it has been a three year hiatus from new music, Alter Bridge did curb their fans appetites a bit with two live albums, 2017’s Live At The O2 Arena and 2018’s Live At The Royal Albert Hall (feat. The Parrallax Orchestra). Coming together, Alter Bridge continued their longtime collaboration with Producer Michael Baskette by once again bringing him on board to produce Walk The Sky. When all was said and done, Walk The Sky unveiled fourteen new Alter Bridge tracks for fans to crank up.

Anxiously pressing play, Walk The Sky begins with the heartbeat like pull of guitar strings for the intro “One Life.” This perfectly leads into the first single “Wouldn’t You Rather” for a profound opening. Immediately, listeners will be gripped by Alter Bridge’s familiar blueprint for Rock that jumps right out of the speakers after just one track. Then, the cleansing arrangement of “In The Deep” will light up your mind while the euphoric “Godspeed” is highlighted by well placed keyboards and is a pleasure to hear. Pressing on, Alter Bridge does not hold back as cuts like the warrior track “Native Son,” a championed “Take The Crown,” “Indoctrination,” “The Bitter End,” and “Pay No Mind,” are nothing short of notable.

A staple to Alter Bridge albums, Tremonti sings perhaps his best lead vocal while performing the heaviest opening riff so far on “Forever Falling.” Keeping with the heavy stuff, “Clear Horizon” can make any listener feel like they are watching the sun rise before the enigmatic melody poured on by “Walking On The Sky.” A top three in the list of best songs on Walk The Sky, “Tear Us Apart” lifts your attention with an endearing melody of dramatic proportions before we end at the “Dying Light.”

Inspiring all the way through, Alter Bridge’s Walk The Sky is music full of purity, freedom, renewed life, and an album that will allow anyone going through tough times to see the world in a new light. For years now, the nature of the Alter Bridge beast has been to give fans music with heart. Nothing shocking, but Alter Bridge have reached these heights once again, so much so, that Walk The Sky might just be Alter Bridge’s best album. A must listen, Cryptic Rock gives Walk The Sky 5 out of 5 stars."

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Another one I haven't seen posted yet on here
http://audioinkradio.com/2019/10/alter- ... ky-review/
ALBUM REVIEW: ALTER BRIDGE TRIUMPHANTLY RETURNS WITH THEIR NEW ALBUM “WALK THE SKY,” FEATURING A MIX OF SKILLFUL INSTRUMENTALS AND EMOTIVE VOCALS

Alter Bridge is one of those special bands that has both technical skills and the ability to present music with incredible emotion. From their 2004 debut, “One Day Remains,” to this month’s “Walk the Sky,” the group has displayed a gift for crafting anthemic rock songs with soaring vocals and meaty riffs.

On “Walk the Sky,” out Friday (Oct. 18), Alter Bridge triumphantly returns with 14 tracks of variety-packed hard rock. Beginning with a short introduction track “One Life,” Myles Kennedy starts the album off with hushed vocals that set this listener up for the drama that’s ahead.

“Wouldn’t You Rather,” the second track on the album and the record’s first single, is a grand, chugging rocker that shows off Mark Tremonti’s impeccable guitar playing and Kennedy’s powerful vocals, as well as the tight rhythms of bass player Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips. The song mixes memorable melodies and hard-charging, in-your-face riffing.

As “Walk the Sky” continues, each track presents a different shade of sounds and styles. “In the Deep” starts with metal guitars and then kicks things back a few notches for a soft bridge featuring Kennedy’s thick vocals, then crashes into a huge chorus.

One of the most unique tracks on the album is “Indoctrination.” The song has a deep, slugging groove throughout, offering a different vibe for Alter Bridge– dare I say it’s almost a Black Sabbath vibe. Kennedy’s vocals rule the chorus, as he sings, “I’m in your head, you can’t deny it / You’re hanging on my every word!”

Another standout, “Godspeed,” Tremonti tells Audio Ink is about the experience he had losing a loved one last year and wishing him well on his journey in the next life. “You have changed all our lives,” Kennedy sings in the chorus. “Godspeed” goes into “Native Son,” the latter track starting with eerie guitars and picking up into a straight-ahead rock ‘n’ roll track.

“Dying Light,” which closes the album, is a special song that really highlights Kennedy’s strong vocals, with its soft bridge and head-bopping chorus. “In the dying light / We can begin to live again / We wake up to eternal light,” Kennedy pleas, as Tremonti kicks in with a shredding guitar solo.

On “Walk the Sky,” Alter Bridge shows kind of technical chops that only veteran musicians process, combined with an earnest, hopeful spirit that is all their own. It’s simply the kind of music you want to crank at ultimate volume and listen to over and over. With an album like “Walk the Sky,” it’s obvious why Alter Bridge remains such a success in the modern rock world and continues to grow. Ink rating: 10/10."

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yes. Last night Myles played more non-prs guitars than anything. I think he may have used them on a third of the set, the EVH for a song, and the tele for the rest.

Edit: oops wrong thread, lol.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

My CD has been delivered! This last hour and a half of work is going to drag. I'll try to do a little
detailed review for you guys that are still waiting for your orders.

SchleifXnation
Brand New Start

Post by SchleifXnation »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:My CD has been delivered! This last hour and a half of work is going to drag. I'll try to do a little
detailed review for you guys that are still waiting for your orders.
Lucky!! My orders been processing in chicago for 2 days now hoping itll be here tomorrow and customs doesnt decide to take forever

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArmyOf1 ... 011944331/

A good samaritan posted Native Son, sounds heavy

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Awesome. That means I'll probably get mine tomorrow.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Tracking says mine is coming in at 8pm on Thursday but since It is at a package reciever I likely won't be able to get there until friday or saturday night. But regardless I will get to hear it very soon

CrowsOnAWire
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CrowsOnAWire »

Blackbirddd wrote:https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArmyOf1 ... 011944331/

A good samaritan posted Native Son, sounds heavy
No guitar solo? Hmmm

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

I'm still making my way through the album , but as someone who loved all the singles, the unheard songs are definitely the best ones so far in my opinion. Wait until you guys hear Forever Falling. Marks singing is amazing and a different style than we've really heard from him. The chorus is such a sing-along chorus, you can't help but try to sing along not even knowing the lyrics.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:I'm still making my way through the album , but as someone who loved all the singles, the unheard songs are definitely the best ones so far in my opinion. Wait until you guys hear Forever Falling. Marks singing is amazing and a different style than we've really heard from him. The chorus is such a sing-along chorus, you can't help but try to sing along not even knowing the lyrics.
Can't wait to hear it!

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Ok so before I get around to doing a full review, I have to say this album is amazing. Don't get me wrong, there is still going to be people that don't like it, but I think alot of you are going to be pleasantly surprised and relieved. With 1 play through, I would say the best tracks of the unheard are Indoctrination, The Bitter End, Forever Falling, Walking On The Sky, Tear Us Apart, and Clear Horizon. Back half of the album is definitely the strongest. Godspeed is so different and great as well, but I can tell it will take a few listens.