AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
benjoAB
White Knuckled

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by benjoAB »

Not seen anyone mention that it sounds very like The Great Beyond from Year of The Tiger...just certain parts sound familiar and I couldn’t put my finger on it until The Great Beyond came on earlier, prob just me but hey :)

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I haven’t read all the past few pages but did anyone else notice the touch of some strings during the outro? I love how the song ends.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

Andy92 wrote:I haven’t read all the past few pages but did anyone else notice the touch of some strings during the outro? I love how the song ends.
Absolutely, the strings are a nice addition.

Also, I kind of noticed that the chorus vocal melody reminds me a lot of the chorus to Still Remains off of ABIII. Anyone else hearing that?

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

I'd read a YouTube comment saying Dying Light could serve as a perfect conclusion/summary to the AB catalogue, and I can kind of see why - it's very archetypal Alter Bridge with regards to theme, lyric etc.

I just hope to God it doesn't actually serve that purpose.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

chtimixeur wrote:and I don't like Myles' voice when he he says Dyyyyyyyying in the chorus. I don't know if it's a nasal voice or a twang, but I wish didn't pronounce words that way in Alter Bridge
It’s odd that you say that because I’m not a fan of when his voice starts to sound twangy or nasally, and I absolutely hear none of that on this song. It’s amazingly smooth vocally. Pretty much everything from this album has been totally smooth from Myles, the only time I’ve heard a bit of twang is in the chorus of In the Deep.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

RevenantGB wrote:I'd read a YouTube comment saying Dying Light could serve as a perfect conclusion/summary to the AB catalogue, and I can kind of see why - it's very archetypal Alter Bridge with regards to theme, lyric etc.

I just hope to God it doesn't actually serve that purpose.
I like your theory here, it could perhaps be their last album and it would be, like you say, the perfect way to end it all...id hope it isn't and I'm sure it isn't but still a nice thought all the same

sugarandcyanide
Bought The CDs

Post by sugarandcyanide »

None of these new songs are blowing me away. I'm hoping the rest are better. I think "Pay No Mind" is my favorite so far.

I'm sure I'm one of the few who really likes TLH.
SMKC

07/20/14 - Northfield, OH
09/26/15 - Northfield, OH
08/01/19 - Northfield, OH

Myles - YOTT

11/19/18 - Cleveland, OH

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I think I like Dying Light and Pay No Mind the most. But the In The Deep chorus was stuck in my head all day. So although there is nothing mind blowing to me I still like pretty much all songs in a way. :-)

Buffon
Bought The CDs

Post by Buffon »

This one sounds kinda like a reheated This Side of Fate. And This Side of Fate is more or less the perfect example of everything wrong with TLH.

Terrible, muddy sound. Takes precisely 45 seconds for the Myles clones to appear, and the bastards don't go away for the rest of the song. The drumming is as uninspired as it's ever been, swear I've heard these exact fills in the same order on half a dozen Fortress and TLH songs.

Positives: the bass sounds nice, and it'll sound way better live when they strip it the fuck down.

By far the weakest of the five, for me.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Buffon wrote:This one sounds kinda like a reheated This Side of Fate. And This Side of Fate is more or less the perfect example of everything wrong with TLH.

Terrible, muddy sound. Takes precisely 45 seconds for the Myles clones to appear, and the bastards don't go away for the rest of the song. The drumming is as uninspired as it's ever been, swear I've heard these exact fills in the same order on half a dozen Fortress and TLH songs.

Positives: the bass sounds nice, and it'll sound way better live when they strip it the fuck down.

By far the weakest of the five, for me.
This Side of Fate is quite possibly a top 5 AB song for me, lol.

Haven't listened to Dying Light yet though...I think I may stick it out until the album comes out.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Buffon wrote:This Side of Fate is more or less the perfect example of everything wrong with TLH.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I really don’t get the hate for TSoF. It’s one of the better songs on that album.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Arctic wrote:I really don’t get the hate for TSoF. It’s one of the better songs on that album.
Most people rank it up there from what I've seen (including me), but different strokes and all that.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I'm normally not a fan of the layered vocals, which is starkly different from their first two albums. But I think both TSOF and Dying Light use the technique to build to the emotion of the song, rather than kind of just throwing it in. I think the layering really helps compliment the melody that he's singing with throughout the majority of the song.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

My Thoughts on Dying Light:
-easily the best song released so far
-definitely ticks all the boxes of what makes an AB song without being a copy of another song
-Excellent vocal delivery. I'd say best song for Myles voice so far on the album
-It sounds so haunting and I got chills listening
-Mark solo at the end is unique but I'm not sure it has the pay off by the end of it
-Myles "solo" is just blends and needs to be a bit longer
-Bridge is a nice change up but a little too short.
-Lots of neat little details tucked here and there (the synths, the humming, the strings)
-It could be stretched a little bit more
-I'd say its a top tier AB song

What's up with the tuning of the guitar at the beginning? It sounds so different.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

This is also the most Sevendust sounding song in their entire catalogue imo. Like, I can totally imagine Lajon singing this song, especially the build up to the chorus.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

AB23 wrote:This is also the most Sevendust sounding song in their entire catalogue imo. Like, I can totally imagine Lajon singing this song, especially the build up to the chorus.
I've been dying for them to let him do a guest appearance since Mark and Myles both did Sevendust songs. It'd be a perfect combo!

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

Arctic wrote:I really don’t get the hate for TSoF. It’s one of the better songs on that album.
For myself personally, it's just the epitome of all of the problems with the band's puzzle-piece songwriting. To my ears, it doesn't sound like one cohesive piece of music. It instead sounds like the band saying, "And now, we're gonna play this part!" and everything feels out of place. The other part of it is, it has a lot of the same audio issues that have been re-hashed by people here a lot (myself included). Extensive vocal layering, no mids, etc.

One last point for myself is that it just sounds way too try-hard for me in the "epic" category. Blackbird felt like an epic song because it was about an incredibly heavy subject matter. Once the band realized fans loved that song so much, it felt like there was a pointless inflation of "epic" songs on each record just for the sake of being epic and not because the song actually calls for it.

I say all this not trying to invalidate your opinion or anyone else's, by the way. Just offering some perspective from someone on the other side (har har, get it?).

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I always get trigged by that bridge in TSoF that comes out of nowhere. Definitely a result of puzzle songwriting.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

Yep, their newest music videos definetely should be thrown to the trash bin with stadium rock attempts and modern rock radio singles. They deserve better visual representation than this.