Best and worst Alterbridge album

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Re: Best and worst Alterbridge album

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

TheEndisHere wrote:
riemslag1 wrote:I can imagine people not recognizing the Epic on ABIII, since the complete album happens to be Epic
Agreement would be on Words Darker as the epic but Slip Into the Void definitely has some epic qualities so I count it in the epic category. So let's see the epics:
ODR- The End is Here (arguable)
BB- title track
AB3- Words and maybe Slip
Fortress- Cry of Achilles & Fortress (definite), Calm the Fire (arguable)
TLH- SMAL, TLH (definite), This Side of Fate & Cradle (arguable)
This Side of Fate arguable? I think you're alone on that, that one is the definite epic. I would put TLH as arguable. Has epic qualities, but doesn't evoke the same feeling/emotions as songs like WDTTW, Fortress or Blackbird

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote: This Side of Fate arguable? I think you're alone on that, that one is the definite epic. I would put TLH as arguable. Has epic qualities, but doesn't evoke the same feeling/emotions as songs like WDTTW, Fortress or Blackbird
Definitely arguable. The title track is much more epic in my book.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Dolo wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote: This Side of Fate arguable? I think you're alone on that, that one is the definite epic. I would put TLH as arguable. Has epic qualities, but doesn't evoke the same feeling/emotions as songs like WDTTW, Fortress or Blackbird
Well I guess he's not alone on that then. I'm not saying TLH isn't epic, but This Side of Fate definitely has the overall epic of the album title for me.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

This Side of Fate is clearly epic, SMAL isn't IMO

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Blackbirddd wrote:This Side of Fate is clearly epic, SMAL isn't IMO
I didn't even notice he put SMAL as a definite epic. It's a great song, but it's in the same realm as every other first single. Just a good, heavy, straightforward single. Only thing that sets it apart from the likes of ATP, WYR or Isolation is that guitar intro.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
I didn't even notice he put SMAL as a definite epic. It's a great song, but it's in the same realm as every other first single. Just a good, heavy, straightforward single. Only thing that sets it apart from the likes of ATP, WYR or Isolation is that guitar intro.

True without that intro I wouldn't put SMAL.
What about the End is Here or Slip into the void as epics? Shall we debate those?

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

TheEndisHere wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:

True without that intro I wouldn't put SMAL.
What about the End is Here or Slip into the void as epics? Shall we debate those?
Honestly I wouldn't define either of those as epics. Just really really good songs. Slip is very proggy though.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Well, what defines an epic for you all? Not that is epic, but that is an epic. For me, the song needs to "take me on a journey," contain peaks that heavily contrast its valleys, and it simply needs to be very good.

Movies are the same way for me. Transformers: The Last Knight can't be an epic, because it's not very good and only has highs and no lows.

However, length just so happens to often be a factor of said journey. That doesn't mean that every long song is an epic, and that doesn't mean that shorter songs can't be epics, either. Seeing that WDTTW kind of doesn't have a second verse and only two choruses really (trimming out a lot that otherwise could have been), it still takes me on a journey.

For me, the AB epics are:

- Blackbird
- Words Darker Than Their Wings
- Cry of Achilles
- Calm the Fire
- Fortress
- This Side of Fate
- The Last Hero

Second-tier close-ish calls for me are Open Your Eyes, Slip to the Void, Bleed It Dry, and Island of Fools. I don't think they're a cock hair off though; they would still need to cover considerable ground to get there.

I have not yet heard Dying Light, by the way.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I consider Slip To the Void an epic. That’s just me though. Might be slightly too short for others to include it.

I also think Brand New Start is a borderline epic. The atmosphere of the song, the solo, and the outro put it almost in that category for me.
Last edited by Arctic on Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I consider Wayward One and Show me a Sign epic too. In the end it's all subjective.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

I think we tend to consider STTV epic because it's just different. There is nothing else in AB's catalogue that has a moody dark keyboard intro and goes into the breakdown right after the first chorus.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:Well, what defines an epic for you all? Not that is epic, but that is an epic. For me, the song needs to "take me on a journey," contain peaks that heavily contrast its valleys, and it simply needs to be very good.

Movies are the same way for me. Transformers: The Last Knight can't be an epic, because it's not very good and only has highs and no lows.

However, length just so happens to often be a factor of said journey. That doesn't mean that every long song is an epic, and that doesn't mean that shorter songs can't be epics, either. Seeing that WDTTW kind of doesn't have a second verse and only two choruses really (trimming out a lot that otherwise could have been), it still takes me on a journey.

For me, the AB epics are:

- Blackbird
- Cry of Achilles
- Calm the Fire
- Fortress
- This Side of Fate
- The Last Hero

Second-tier close-ish calls for me are Open Your Eyes, Slip to the Void, Bleed It Dry, and Island of Fools. I don't think they're a cock hair off though; they would still need to cover considerable ground to get there.

I have not yet heard Dying Light, by the way.
Honestly I can't define it. It's one of those things where I just know it when I hear/feel it. It's not a title I just pass to a song because it's really good, or really emotional. Like Calm the Fire. Amazing song, huge chorus, emotional, meaningful. Not an epic in my book.

My list of epics across AB and the solo projects are these:
- Blackbird
- Fortress
- Cry of Achilles
- This Side of Fate
- The Last Hero
- Providence
- Happy to add Dying Light to this list.

That's its. The rest are just amazing songs, but not epics in my opinion. Which is probably for the most part and unpopular opinion.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Dolo wrote:

This Side Of Fate is absolutely an epic , that song is better than everything released on Walk The Sky combined so far

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

fix wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:Going early my eat crow but Walk The Sky will be their worst going by what been released and only 1 epic spells a failure from me. Best for me is either TLH or Fortress i prefer TLH even though thats not allowed
Sure it's allowed. :-) No matter what people call your opinion (I saw something about donkey balls :-D), it's still a valid opinion haha.

The songs I like most of AB are mostly 'epics', but the song I like most of TLH is Island of Fools. That's no epic, so... and I also happen to like a lot of songs on ABIII so we'll see what WtS brings us.

Thank you for a mature response it is subjective afterall

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Mr. Slash wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:Right... AB3 also only had 1 “epic” track, and that album is pretty damn good (from a songwriting POV).

I wouldnt even call that an epic personally and think the album is filled with filler songs especially the back half
People are always so negative in this forum

Learned from the best . Funnily enough i used to be positive until i joined this circus of a forum you would be one i would consider consistently negative , have a good day

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

So the forum turned you into a negative judger ? I’m afraid that says more about you than about the forum. Please stop acting like a child about this.
Just state your opinions like others do.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I hate it when people's opinions on something like this are criticized as negative or positive. The freakin thread is called "Best and Worst Alter Bridge album." Do you want people to say "Fortress is the best album and the worst is obviously SIKE there is no bad there is just moar baddazzery and aneurysm-inducing riffs"

If you disagree with someone's choice, that doesn't make your opinion positive and their's negative. It makes your opinion different.

It's not like he responded to the thread title with "Alter Bridge sucks" for no reason at all.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

riemslag1 wrote:So the forum turned you into a negative judger ? I’m afraid that says more about you than about the forum. Please stop acting like a child about this.
Just state your opinions like others do.

I state my opinions which differ people get salty, but im the child......ok then. I started this place by saying i loved TLH which i got told that i am wrong for liking it. If i could just state my opinion without backhanded bs that would be new and different.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

The feeling is completely mutual.
Just hope you form your opinion about the band based upon what you hear yourself, and not what others say about it.
Apparently you can't handle people feeling differently about TLH than you, while displaying the same opinion yourself about the new tracks (and about that my own opinion is not even that different than yours)

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

LosingPatience wrote:
Dolo wrote:

This Side Of Fate is absolutely an epic , that song is better than everything released on Walk The Sky combined so far
With that bridge that comes out of nowhere? Nah man.

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp