Alter Bridge Walk the Sky / Victorious Sky US Tour 2019

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
abw1987
Blood Machines

Re: Alter Bridge Walk the Sky Tour 2019

Post by abw1987 »

Thierry wrote:So happy they’ve ditched watch over you
Hell of a first post :lol

Of course I love WOY but also appreciate whenever they mix things up.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

mycarhasabs wrote:
UninvitedZero wrote: Myles fucking apologized after they played Blackbird in the middle of the set... Like all of the tweenage Disturbed fans were bored out of their skulls...

wait... wut?!?!! He apologized!?!?
It's been a couple years so I can't remember his exact words. Something to the effect of "Sorry, that was a long one, we'll get back to playing the metal for you guys..."

Come To Life
Farther Than The Sun
Ties That Bind
Isolation
Metalingus
Blackbird
Addicted To Pain
Rise Today

Had to run to Setlist.fm to relive that afternoon haha

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Surprised with a crowd like that they didn't pull out White Knuckles or Bleed it Dry. Hell, if that's the fortress tour and you are going to do an epic song, they could have done Fortress

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

TheEndisHere wrote:Surprised with a crowd like that they didn't pull out White Knuckles or Bleed it Dry. Hell, if that's the fortress tour and you are going to do an epic song, they could have done Fortress
It was a month or so before the release of TLH

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Just got back from the Philly show and created a thread in our Concert Reviews forum in case anyone would like to share their experience: http://www.thealterbridgenation.com/for ... =10&t=3572

I'm headed to bed but will post a review tomorrow!

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

GazEd wrote:
Kreuger wrote:Let people enjoy the show however they want.
It somehow reminds me of the modern do-not-hurt-anyones-feelings approach.

It's not that I support hurting anyone, but come on, it's a fucking rock concert. If you want to stand still, buy a more expensive seat and be seated.

If you want to share your respect to the band standing in front of you, then stand.

It all boils down to a horrible thing. Music is becoming business as a mass. It's not art anymore, it's fucking labour. If you pour your feelings into a song, walk on the stage and see 500-5000 people standing still staring at you, I would simply quit for good. I tell you.

If you deliver a toothbreaking riff and never receive any feedback.... I dunno.
I don't want to sit. I want to be close to the band, headbang and play air guitar while singing my ass off. I have that right just as much as anyone else does to mosh or whatever.

anguyen92 wrote: Gramercy Theater holds only 500 people. Way too small for AB.
Damn that's a shame. BW should be so much bigger in the US.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Oh yeah, I agree. Big Wreck should be bigger. Big Wreck is coming to LA on October 20th in the Teragram Ballroom which holds around 625 people. Compared that to AB where they usually play the Wiltern Theater (which holds around 1,800 people) in LA and it's a pretty good theater that I have seen four shows in this year (Within Temptation, Dream Theater, Skillet/Sevendust, and Switchfoot) and all of those shows have been great/fantastic.

I will consider wanting to see Big Wreck, but my October is starting to look pretty crowded that I don't know what shape I will be by the time the Big Wreck show comes. I got tickets for Starset, next Wednesday. I'm considering seeing Delain in Anaheim on October 11th and I'm going my first outdoor festival ever the next day. The Self-Help festival that will have A Day to Remember, Beartooth, I Prevail, Periphery and many other bands. Yeah, with those three concerts in October so far, and the way I am feeling after doing four concerts in September, I do need to reassess my mental and physical shape.

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

Posting my review of last night's show here too:
My review:
Dirty Honey: I was impressed with Dirty Honey. They put on a good show without all the flash and production. The guitarist has some skill and the singer has a great voice. I can definitely see this band going places. I definitely enjoy them more then a similar band (*cough* Greta Van Fleet* cough*). My only disappointment is that they don't play "Fire Away" (my favorite song from them) even though it was 1 of their 3 singles up to this point. Highlight was definitely "Down the Road" and "When I'm gone" for me.

Skillet: They had lots of energy and John Cooper is a maniac on stage. They work a crowd well (though I could do with out the whole "Jesus Christ is my hero" speech). That said several people around me, including my coworker who is a music teacher with good ears, noticed that there was definitely a backing track for vocals and a distinct lack of bass. Guys next to me kept mockingly calling John Cooper to do a bass solo. I felt like he was just slapping randomly on bass and I still couldn't distinguish it from the other instruments. Jen Ledger is great though. I love her voice and she can play. I'd love to see her do collaboration with Myles on "Watch Over You" but knew it wouldn't happen. Skillet's music isn't nearly as intricate or complex so that can bounce around stage more. Highlight: Not Gonna Die, Victorious, Jen Ledger on Awake and Alive

AB: Myles was still sick but a warrior. Mark and Myles are freaking guitar gods. As much as I've seen live videos or listen to the record, seeing and hearing Mark and Myles shred in realtime is otherworldly. All the solos from both guys are so amazing and the reason to see live music. It's one thing to hear it on a record but to watch these guys play blows the other bands out of the water in terms of pure musical ability. Yes, they may not be bouncing all over the stage but damn if watching them play instruments isn't memorizing. This was my first time hearing and seeing Cry of Achilles (BMarsh FTW) , Waters Rising, and Blackbird live. Myles was so sick he really relied on the crowd for the chorus of Blackbird, Metallingus (woot Flip on this one), Cry of Achilles and Open Your Eyes. The crowd was great and Myles did a great job of getting the crowd to sing. Some of the songs were a little hard to hear the crowd, except Blackbird. Hearing the whole crowd on the chorus of Blackbird was amazing. I felt a little bad for the rest of the group because this was their first AB show and they didn't really know the lyrics. I was belting it and so was the crowd but it may not have been the best first impression though everyone did say let's see them again when they come back around and were impressed by the guys musical ability. Hopefully they do another show in Philly when they come back to the states when Myles is feeling better.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

TheEndisHere wrote: ...several people around me, including my coworker who is a music teacher with good ears, noticed that there was definitely a backing track for vocals and a distinct lack of bass.
Ah hah! I facking knew it! I've been saying this since they released the bonus live DVD for Rise! Lame...

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

What the fuck are you talking about ? Backing track for vocals during an AB gig?

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

DarkKnight12 wrote:What the fuck are you talking about ? Backing track for vocals during an AB gig?
???

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

DarkKnight12 wrote:What the fuck are you talking about ? Backing track for vocals during an AB gig?
This was during Skillet's set, not AB. As for the bass in Skillet, yeah, there are songs where John doesn't play bass and play the role of frontman more and even when he does play it, it's really not there. It's not like people are really there to see a Skillet show to see what John Cooper does on the bass. Compare that to AB where even though there's a lot of things going when it comes to the guitars, Brian's bass sound can shine at certain parts, obviously in his section in Cry of Achilles. I know there were moments when I saw them last week (can't remember which songs in particular) and it might have been during soundcheck when I heard it from the outside, where he hit a bass note so loud, I was like, "careful with that thing, man."

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

No during there were backing tracks during Skillet. If they were backing tracks for AB, we wouldn't be talking about Myles' sickness or it would really stand out as his sick voice wouldn't match the backing vocals. I feel like every time Myles sings it sounds slightly different so there's no way AB could ever do backing tracks (not that they would).

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

anguyen92 wrote:
This was during Skillet's set, not AB. As for the bass in Skillet, yeah, there are songs where John doesn't play bass and play the role of frontman more and even when he does play it, it's really not there. It's not like people are really there to see a Skillet show to see what John Cooper does on the bass. Compare that to AB where even though there's a lot of things going when it comes to the guitars, Brian's bass sound can shine at certain parts, obviously in his section in Cry of Achilles. I know there were moments when I saw them last week (can't remember which songs in particular) and it might have been during soundcheck when I heard it from the outside, where he hit a bass note so loud, I was like, "careful with that thing, man."
Showmanship in terms of energy goes to Skillet but actual musical skill AB blows them away. Watch Seth's solos vs Mark or myles. Mark is faster, goes up and down the neck, does tons more advanced techniques. I know very little about playing guitar but watching you can definitely tell that Mark and Myles have way more complicated parts and little riffs thrown in just once and are often doing very different things. AB has many layers to peel apart. It's a lot easier to be a maniac on the stage like Cooper when you don't have to worry about playing solos or more intricate parts

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

TheEndisHere wrote:
No during there were backing tracks during Skillet. If they were backing tracks for AB, we wouldn't be talking about Myles' sickness or it would really stand out as his sick voice wouldn't match the backing vocals. I feel like every time Myles sings it sounds slightly different so there's no way AB could ever do backing tracks (not that they would).
Riiight ! You had me scared for a bit there mate! Haha

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

What are the approximate times the bands are going on?

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Last night Alter Bridge went on around 9:25 if I remember correctly.

Just posted my review over in the Concert Reviews subforum for anyone interested.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

abw1987 wrote:Last night Alter Bridge went on around 9:25 if I remember correctly.

Just posted my review over in the Concert Reviews subforum for anyone interested.
Thank you.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

TheEndisHere wrote:That said several people around me, including my coworker who is a music teacher with good ears, noticed that there was definitely a backing track for vocals and a distinct lack of bass. Guys next to me kept mockingly calling John Cooper to do a bass solo. I felt like he was just slapping randomly on bass and I still couldn't distinguish it from the other instruments.
False. John sings and yes... he actually plays bass live. Obviously they play on a click track with various layers but I laugh every time I read stuff this. Dude is a beast and highly underrated.

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

JaredWard wrote:
TheEndisHere wrote:That said several people around me, including my coworker who is a music teacher with good ears, noticed that there was definitely a backing track for vocals and a distinct lack of bass. Guys next to me kept mockingly calling John Cooper to do a bass solo. I felt like he was just slapping randomly on bass and I still couldn't distinguish it from the other instruments.
False. John sings and yes... he actually plays bass live. Obviously they play on a click track with various layers but I laugh every time I read stuff this. Dude is a beast and highly underrated.
Various layers that allow him to be fifteen feet from the microphone and still be heard singing plain as day over a roaring crowd... Unless it was just DVD magic when I noticed it close to six years ago...