Listening party thread (Walk the Sky edition)

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Listening party thread (Walk the Sky edition)

Post by scarecrow »

This album sounds like a considerable step up from TLH.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

abw1987 wrote:*BEES*
As thorough as ever, much appreciated!
anguyen92 wrote:Oh my goodness. At first, I lost track of Myles as he exited and I had to wait for some families to get out of the plane. Then I thought go to baggage and there he was. He was the ever professional person I knew he is while I was a kind incoherent blubbering mess.

I told him that outside of the times I’ve saw AB that his solo show in LA was the greatest concert I have seen and told him I hope it doesn’t take too long for him to do another run at this. He told me he wants to write another album to do the shows.

Afterwards he told me they are putting the final touches for the 2020 state shows and that i said I’ll see you guys in LA. He asked me if I had fun and told him I had a tremendous time. Someone thankfully took a photo with me and Myles and that person wanted a photo as well. He also signed my Royal Albert Hall earbook. Overall, he was a top notch professional gentlemen and I didn’t think I kept it together in the end. Told him ty to him, Mark, Flip, and Brian for everything in AB, said see you at the show tomorrow, shook his hand and that was that. It’s all downhill from here regarding life. Well unless I run into Mark.
Nicely done! You even prodded him on another solo album, great stuff.
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

There was one thing I regret not asking and I thought about now. While we were in line, Maggie Wright had these masks with Mark’s face on it and most of the front row was wearing them at the start of the show. The DJ for the main rock station in Orlando was even wearing it at some point on stage during the album playthrough. I should have asked him his personal and honest thoughts about it. Oh well. I blew it asking a unique question outside the usual norm.

Tim if you are reading this, please ask him that question. I just want to know his thoughts on that even if I’m not the one asking that question.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Lol. What "personal and honest" thoughts could one possibly have about a bunch of fans wearing a Mark mask? :lol
anguyen92 wrote:He didn’t say or imply that. I told him see you guys in LA if they do it.
Ohh my bad. I read that wrong. Will edit my post.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I don’t know, but I just want to know his reaction to that. We fans are that odd of a bunch. Wouldn’t trade it for any other fan base in the world.

snowman
Bought The CDs

Post by snowman »

abw1987 wrote:I'm finally all settled in at home and able to type up my notes from the party.
Man, I'm glad you took notes! Reading through this helped me remember how awesome these songs are. Thanks for the great write up! :bow

Now I'll know to take a pen and notepad to the next Listening Party I go to...because, let's face it, now I can't NOT go to more since I had such a blast at this one.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I mean unless the show after listening party is in Europe, how can’t I not go to the first show of tour after running into Myles in the same flight. That was never my intention when I choose that flight back in July. That impossible timing will be one to remember.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

anguyen92 wrote:Well this is a nice twist. I’m boarding the same plane as Myles as we are entering. Just stated hey. He stated hey back. Not much else.
Honestly, and I'm being 100% real here, I never knew he flew commercial.

Given some of the lyrics that he tends to bring forth, I imagined that you would see him beside your aircraft with spread wings and a wink at you into the window as he soared.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well he was in First Class. Him and his wife were the last people in that line when they called first class. I on the other hand was basic cabin. So I got stuck with parents and screaming children. I had a lot of calmness through the one. But it was worth it in the end.

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Thank you guys for your reviews.

I am pretty sure that I will enjoy this album way more than I did with Fortress and The Last Hero.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

abw1987 wrote:
Godspeed
Knowing this was written as a tribute to Seth Luker, I expected a powerful track, and "Godspeed" delivers in that regard. It starts with a piano and synthesizer intro, quickly giving way to heavy powerchords. Myles sings the verse in a lower register, with some higher harmonies on top. The chorus has a really powerful melody that you could call cheesy if you're a complete cynic, but I loved it. Overall the song feels sentimental, and is capped off by a torturous shred solo.
Alright man, give it to me straight. As someone who thinks My Champion is one of the worst AB songs, will I think this is cheesy? My Champion is the pinnacle of cheese, imo, so Godspeed would have to be far worse.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

So does Dying Light have dueling solos or do they just take one each?
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

DCooper727 wrote:Alright man, give it to me straight. As someone who thinks My Champion is one of the worst AB songs, will I think this is cheesy? My Champion is the pinnacle of cheese, imo, so Godspeed would have to be far worse.
Not even the same ballpark, IMO. Even I think "My Champion" is a bit cheesy.
Kreuger wrote:So does Dying Light have dueling solos or do they just take one each?
I didn't pick up on any back-and-forth like in "The Last Hero", for example. It was tough to even discern who plays each solo with how loud it was in the room, but I assume Mark plays both. The first one is shorter, and the second a bit longer but mixed in with some vocal harmonies, so it's not as if the song is some deliberate showcase for guitar leads.

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

Video:

Pay No Mind - Live at the Listening Party Orlando

https://www.facebook.com/6209746/posts/ ... 43?sfns=mo

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Marshall wrote:Video:

Decent performance! The synths were audible which is good, and it looks like this gives us a taste of the newer stage production as well.

Myles seems to be wearing the guitar higher up as well, I assume that's to make certain parts of the new songs easier to play.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

I wonder if this Jeremy Frost fella is gonna tour with them. One of the comments says "Fifth member of AB"

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

One Drew Remains wrote:Native Son is a Myles song? Did not know that.
Yes, check out the link below. Myles at least wrote the main, heavy riff to the song. And being that Mark and Myles wrote full songs for most of the album (with the exception of Dying Light) one would assume that Myles wrote all or the majority of the song.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/in ... songs.html

And thanks to those of you that wrote up some track by track reviews of the album! It sounds like the pre-release tracks are not the best, which is what I had hoped for. I don't mind them, they are not bad. But I was hoping it wasn't the best that the album had to offer. Reading the reviews, it seems there's a handful of songs left I will really like! I can't wait to hear Godspeed, Forever Falling, and Dying Light. Native Son and Indoctrination intrigue me as well.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah. Frosty has been Marks tech for a while now. I'm sure they'll just call on him for the synth stuff.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

Miss the backing vocals in the chorus. It's probably the best part of it, in my opinion.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

This is around the time frame that iTunes previews from an obscure country's iTunes begin to get posted for the new album. Be alert.