AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by fix »

^ I have the exact same thing. :-) TOS is my jam, the rest I don’t care for - intro of SMAL is fire though.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

RevenantGB wrote:
Ubik wrote:I think pre-TLH they released Show Me a Leader, My Champion, Poison in Your Veins and The Other Side. How does this batch compare?
I remember having very mixed feelings about Show Me a Leader, My Champion and Poison In Your Veins when they came out individually, and it was the release of The Other Side that reassured me The Last Hero would be good. To this day I almost never listen to the first three.

Comparatively I enjoy the Walk The Sky singles far more, but none of them have hyped me like The Other Side did.
This is my exact experience. Really hated My Champion and Poison (the guitar solo is fire, though), but The Other Side was so good. Still one of my favorites from TLH. I really just don't like the generic hard rock songs like My Champion, Poison, Losing Patience, Wouldn't You Rather and In the Deep. Not my cup of tea; give me more stuff like Island of Fools and The Other Side.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Jaded Rescue wrote: How is it the worst by a mile? It's a great melody line. Great guitar solos can be simple and effective. It's far more memorable than most of the other shreddy junk Mark has become obsessed with in the last few years.
I kind of feel like this is a Myles lead.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Having got into AB just before TLH was released I found the commercial aspect of My Champion to be super accessible and quite frankly it still remains one of my favourite songs off of TLH along with Poison In Your Veins. These songs are meant to be a gateway into AB and personally all 4 of the singles have been fairly good as a whole yes nothing on the level of some of the mighty epics the band has written and also no true ballad thus far which is somewhat surprising since many bands like to use one as their single. I'm excited for the new album and hopefully seeing AB live when they announce a west coast tour...

Jesterhead92
Bought The CDs

Post by Jesterhead92 »

I like of all the singles so far. If I had to rank them, I'd probably go TTC > WYR = ITD > PNM. Not Blackbird/Fortress good, but I like these songs more than pretty much everything off The Last Hero

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:It's more of a Melody line than a solo. But I can see both sides of that argument.

This exactly ^^^^^ its exactly what it sounds like. If its actually a solo its their worst by a mile
How is it the worst by a mile? It's a great melody line. Great guitar solos can be simple and effective. It's far more memorable than most of the other shreddy junk Mark has become obsessed with in the last few years.

In that every other AB solo is leagues better. The simple but effective solo in Ghosts Of Days Gone By >>>>>>>In The Deep

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Ubik wrote:I think pre-TLH they released Show Me a Leader, My Champion, Poison in Your Veins and The Other Side. How does this batch compare?

So far TLH >>>>>Walk The Sky

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

I am a little surprised at how many people really seem to dislike the new songs like a lot.

I am also not completely amazed by the new songs because I think they are lacking something but I don't think they are bad or anything.
How can anyone not like the verse in In the Deep for instance? :dance It's one of the best AB verses for me actually. I think the chorus is not great, but also not bad.

Take the Crown really grew on me, I love that song now even though I think the lyrics are a bit... simple and uncreative. But still... the beginning, the ending, Bridge before the last chrous... I thought many AB fans would like these. I also like the chorus except for the lyrics.

At the end it's all a matter of taste, for sure, but I get the feeling that people here get overly critical. One should at least be really happy about the production of ITD as it is so much better than on the other songs imo.

I am looking forward to the other 10 (!) songs that are still to come.

@LosingPatience
I think that really everyone got now that you utterly hate every one of these 4 songs.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I'm far more excited about the four new songs.

While there are some elements I have some issues with, there are also many elements that I like. I don't like the production of the songs, but I like the addition of the synths, for example.

Both Pay No Mind and In The Deep are the most "different" sounding songs of the four, I think. Both have different type of choruses, different instruments or effects, vibes, loops, and also the most memorable melody lines. I hope this trend continues on the rest of the album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The lead guitar part that starts at 0:22 has the same kind of vibe as some Joe Satriani uptempo songs. The one that comes to mind is Summer Song, from 1992:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NJ_nzOckOQ

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

I think the 4 songs from WTS are way better than TLH. The best by far of the four for the TLH is The Other Side. That is a very good song and I probably have it ranked 4th or 5th on the album with a pretty big drop off shortly after that. TLH was a very top heavy record for me.
I might like The Other Side more than the other TLH and WTS pre-release songs but I like all 4 of the new ones better than Poison In My Veins, My Champion, and possibly SMAL as well.
And with the exception of In The Deep, it hasn't been notated anywhere that these 4 songs are the top songs of the record. So that's promising.

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

I think the reviewer who included ‘In the Deep’ as one of the top tracks on the album was on crack, at least I hope he was.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Arctic wrote:I think the reviewer who included ‘In the Deep’ as one of the top tracks on the album was on crack, at least I hope he was.
A song that is 3:50 comprised primarily of the chorus better not be one of the top tracks.

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Of the 3 new songs I've heard, I already prefer them to the vast majority of The Last Hero.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

LosingPatience wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:
One Drew Remains wrote:It's more of a Melody line than a solo. But I can see both sides of that argument.

This exactly ^^^^^ its exactly what it sounds like. If its actually a solo its their worst by a mile
How is it the worst by a mile? It's a great melody line. Great guitar solos can be simple and effective. It's far more memorable than most of the other shreddy junk Mark has become obsessed with in the last few years.

In that every other AB solo is leagues better. The simple but effective solo in Ghosts Of Days Gone By >>>>>>>In The Deep

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Haha. Yes!
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Mr.Vlado wrote:I am a little surprised at how many people really seem to dislike the new songs like a lot.

I am also not completely amazed by the new songs because I think they are lacking something but I don't think they are bad or anything.
How can anyone not like the verse in In the Deep for instance? :dance It's one of the best AB verses for me actually. I think the chorus is not great, but also not bad.

Take the Crown really grew on me, I love that song now even though I think the lyrics are a bit... simple and uncreative. But still... the beginning, the ending, Bridge before the last chrous... I thought many AB fans would like these. I also like the chorus except for the lyrics.

At the end it's all a matter of taste, for sure, but I get the feeling that people here get overly critical. One should at least be really happy about the production of ITD as it is so much better than on the other songs imo.

I am looking forward to the other 10 (!) songs that are still to come.

@LosingPatience
I think that really everyone got now that you utterly hate every one of these 4 songs.

I love Take The Crown mate, i actually like all 4 just think they all accept Crown could have been much better

George
Loyal Follower

Post by George »

scarecrow wrote:Of the 3 new songs I've heard, I already prefer them to the vast majority of The Last Hero.
I'm not into Fortress and The Last Hero at all, to me these two albums are not what I like to hear. With that said, I agree with you, I like these 4 songs way more than the 4 AB released first on TLH.

On a side note, I hate My Champion. That song sounds so forced.
Creed
Rio de Janeiro 11/23/2012
São Paulo 11/25/2012

Alter Bridge
Rock in Rio 09/22/2017

Scott Stapp
São Paulo 12/14/2016
Fortaleza 11/08/2019
Rio de Janeiro 11/17/2019

SMKC
Recife 06/03/2019

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I would say TLH batch for me, just because I prefer SMAL and TOS (a killer) more than the rest of TLH, WTS pre-released songs but I prefer the new ones to the other two from TLH.
The new songs, except Pay No Mind, I don't find them anything special (yet) but at the same time I find them interesting to listen. It's fresh.
I am very curious to see the direction they took this time.

One thing I like about AB is that they always try to do something different on albums (even if it's subtle) but I think this one will be even more different from the previous ones.
For me they can go in any direction, whatever the style of music is, that's fine with me.
I'm not afraid not liking an album just because it's not my thing.

I just want an interesting, good album or at least a solid one, which I believe will be.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

Not sure if someone posted this before, but a newer interview with Myles.

Not a ton of new info, but he did mention that In the Deep was his personal favorite on the new album.

https://www.thehypemagazine.com/2019/09 ... usic-more/