AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Ubik »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote: It doesn't sound anything like Break Me Down. Honestly they don't have anything in their category that sounds like this song.
I'll take that! I was worried when I asked that (given other reactions) that people would say Poison in Your Veins, wasn't expecting the ol' BMD.

I like that they're going to plenty of new places by the sounds of it, I love Take the Crown and you can't put that next to another AB track either. Maybe it won't work for everyone which'll suck, but I don't think it'll be for lack of effort on the guys part.

There'll also be one on the album that's gone completely under the radar that everyone'll love as well, happens every time. Indoctrination, The Bitter End, Tear Us Apart, looking at you.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Arctic
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Arctic »

Yeah, they both just have this ‘bouncy’ feel to them but that’s pretty much where the similarities end.

I’ll give that to them, all of these songs have pretty much been totally different from anything they’ve done before.

RevenantGB
TABN.com Citizen

Post by RevenantGB »

Ubik wrote: There'll also be one on the album that's gone completely under the radar that everyone'll love as well, happens every time. Indoctrination, The Bitter End, Tear Us Apart, looking at you.
This x100 - There's always one AB song that takes you by surprise on the first album listen, for me it was Cradle to the Grave and Bleed it Dry.
Let this be an exercise in how to face your fears
Step into the realm of madness if you dare, my dear

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

It's like Take You With Me mixed with Never Say Die.

Love the song. The only really "weird" moment for me is when the intro goes to the bridge. For the rest I think it's got a great flow.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
Fortress1988 wrote:Alterbridge always had
Catchy , melodic chorus which used to connect right away.
Somehow I feel since The Last hero album
Chorus are messed up, and if a song takes time to grow on you, in my opinion it's a bad thing.
Songs or singles should connect to us right away
If it takes 4-5 listen just to get connected to the song then it makes no sense
It's like reading a book 3 times to understand it
I mean it took multiple listens for Blackbird to click sooooooooo.....
Sorry dude. It’s a bad song now.

Edit: Auto Correct.

SamarthJoshi
TABN.com Citizen

Post by SamarthJoshi »

Arctic wrote:I admit i had higher expectations because of the general feeling that this was going to be the best single, and the only review we have listing it as one of the best songs on the record. I expected something soaring like BNS, so this is probably the most jarringly disappointed I’ve been with an AB song on first listen. I gave it a few more spins and I’ll admit it has a pretty neat groove to it. Still not what I wanted out of this song but it’s not as bad as I first believed.
This! That review kind of affected my expectations as well. Reviews are just opinions of other people. Not necessarily they will align with you. Shouldn’t have gotten carried away.

Mullet151
Brand New Start

Post by Mullet151 »

After 5-6 listens it has already grown on me a bit. I was extremely underwhelmed on the first listen. Still my least favorite of the 4 due to pay no mind really climbing up the from the bottom. Definitely a Mark song in the line of his 80's rock attempts for this album. I definitely hear the slash comparisons....again. I can appreciate them wanting to do something different but 80's AB is not the best AB for me. I want some straight forward heavy or progressive tracks, I don't care if they've already done it or not.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

My hype completely died with this. This is so generic im lost for words. Where are the guitar solo's , the bridges its all so commercial. Not even the chorus was catchy

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

LosingPatience wrote:My hype completely died with this. This is so generic im lost for words. Where are the guitar solo's , the bridges its all so commercial. Not even the chorus was catchy
Where are the guitar solos? In the song, that’s where.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:Dammit now I'm picturing the power rangers opening with this song playing lol. I feel like I'm forever going to picture the power rangers wen I listen to this now.
ahah so true.

I feel the slash vibe in this song.
The intro is cool, love the verses, the chorus not so much. As some have said here, it seems that the chorus doesn't fit.
The song is different, but nothing special, though. It's my least favorite of the 4.

It's another grower, like so many other AB songs. Sure it will sound better after a few more listens.
Still, i'm curious for the rest of the album.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

Am I the only one who thought it seemed short? Like I was expecting another chorus.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Still holding out. I refuse to hear any of these until the full album's release! Even then, I don't want to know the title of them as I hear them.

As for the "growers can't be good" comment, literally every favorite movie of mine needed to grow on me. I didn't dislike them at first or anything, but the movies are good because of their depth, the amount of processing, hearing others' thoughts, rewatches, etc. That's what makes them great. Sure, they are immersive and engrossing the first time through... but upon subsequent viewings they become wholesome.

That being said, I'm not saying this song is necessarily one of those. Hell, I haven't even heard it.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
LosingPatience wrote:My hype completely died with this. This is so generic im lost for words. Where are the guitar solo's , the bridges its all so commercial. Not even the chorus was catchy

Seriously where ? If they are there i cant hear them, the mix that bad ?

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

Saw someone else say this on Reddit, but I agree with it. I feel like AB have tried to shoehorn in huge melodic choruses with every single song that it ruins the overall flow and vibe of the song. Also, an average of 4 minute length does nothing but worry me when it comes to them utilizing lazy song structures. I feel like it's gonna be verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus fin, for the entire album. Just real worried about this album, and this song did not help that at all. They just can't let a song stand out with uniqueness; it always, always always has to have that "soaring" chorus, and they didn't use to do that all the time. They can have a really heavy, biting song and then have a big melodic chorus that sounds extremely out of place.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

DCooper727 wrote:They can have a really heavy, biting song and then have a big melodic chorus that sounds extremely out of place.
I always like these kinds of songs, though. Maybe not for AB, but when they show up they are kind of neat. I'm thinking like Beast and the Harlot, stuff like that.

I can take songs with poor verses and great choruses. The underwhelming ones are when you have great verses and poor choruses. I can't stand those. I don't know if this is one of those or not.
Last edited by MuffinMcFluffin on Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DCooper727
TABN.com Citizen

Post by DCooper727 »

It's just too jarring for me, and feels like they aren't writing for the song anymore, but for a chance at a radio hit.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

MuffinMcFluffin wrote:
DCooper727 wrote:They can have a really heavy, biting song and then have a big melodic chorus that sounds extremely out of place.
I always like these kinds of songs, though. Maybe not for AB, but when they show up they are kind of neat. I'm thinking like The Beast and the Harlot, stuff like that.

I can take songs with poor verses and great choruses. The underwhelming ones are when you have great verses and poor choruses. I can't stand those. I don't know if this is one of those or not.
I can get this. For as much underserved hate as it gets, One By One is a great example of this. Not that it's bad, but the verses are not up to par with the chorus. I DO like the verse melody, but what really saves the song is that chorus. I stand by the fact that it is one of their best choruses ever. Those damn harmonies over that descending guitar riff are perfect. If not for that particular chorus, I might not love the song as much as I do.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Where the heck is all the hate for One By One came from? I've always liked the song from the start.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
At the end of the song to be precise.

All right, In the Deep is out on Spotify. The dress is blue on the cover for that one. Yeah, that chorus is really different than what you would normally expect in an AB song. I also do agree that this song feels less "busy" than the prior songs. I also feel like it's one of those 80s power ballads at times particularly in the verses.

Also, we are 0 for 4 so far in well crafted bridge instrumentals before the bridge verse. Just that one instrumental section that can take us nicely into the climax of the song. WHERE THE HECK ARE THEY? Maybe, this is why the average song lengths for this album is shorter this time around.

For me, I think In The Deep is fine on its own, but I prefer Pay No Mind and Take the Crown as the early favorites so far. Wouldn't You Rather, out of the bunch, felt like it is the only "familiar" AB sounding track of the bunch so far and I think this is why it is the lead single. Only less than five days to go before I leave for Orlando to hear the whole thing in full and meet the guys and finally be in a group full of people where I'm not the only guy at a concert wearing an AB shirt.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

anguyen92 wrote: Also, we are 0 for 4 so far in well crafted bridge instrumentals before the bridge verse. Just that one instrumental section that can take us nicely into the climax of the song. WHERE THE HECK ARE THEY? Maybe, this is why the average song lengths for this album is shorter this time around.
I mean... it's not that there always has to be something like that. You don't have to put a bridge at all, but because they've always been extremely formulaic in terms of the song structure (with some exceptions ofc) you almost itch when you don't hear it.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp