TABN Site Renewal Fundraiser and $50 Giveaway

Any questions or comments about The Alter Bridge Nation website and forums can be posted here.
TABN Admin
Site Admin

TABN Site Renewal Fundraiser and $50 Giveaway

Post by TABN Admin »

TABN Site Renewal Fundraiser
Esteemed members of TheAlterBridgeNation.com,

The time has come for us to renew our web hosting, and we are turning to you for help. Our current hosting package expires on September 30th, and we are seeking to raise $265 by September 29th in order to pay for two more years of service. In the past, our members have always pulled through by providing the necessary funding to prevent our site from shutting down. We are hoping that this time is no different, so that we may continue to discuss and promote Alter Bridge through the power of the TABN community.

To create an incentive for donating, we will be giving away $50 to one random winner as soon as we have reached our fundraising goal. The odds will be proportional to the amount donated. For instance, if someone gives $26.50, and we raise exactly $265, that person will have a 10% chance of winning. The prize will be distributed via PayPal. Note that the giveaway will only initiate once the goal of $265 has been met. We reserve the right to alter these rules so as to conduct this giveaway in a fair and trustworthy manner.

By now you have probably noticed the donation widget just below our site banner. This will be tracking our fundraising progress in close to real time. (If you can't see it, you are probably viewing the site on a device that does not support Flash.) If you wish to make a donation, use the widget above, or click the link below. If you have any questions, please feel free to post them in this thread or message one of the Mods.

Thanks,

- TheAlterBridgeNation.com Admin Team

Donation link: http://www.chipin.com/contribute/id/d064146d0bfa5dae

agny
On The Rail

Re: TABN Site Renewal Fundraiser and $50 Giveaway

Post by agny »

So raising $315 to give away $50 and have $265 left? or is the bill $215?
Alterations: Dec 2010, May 2011, August 2011x2, Sept 2011, Oct 2014x2

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

The bill is $215. Good question.

If we can only raise $220 for example, we'll still give away the extra $5. If we raise $300, we'll still only give away $50, and keep the extra $35 for additional months of hosting or shipping on future giveaways, something like that.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

So you're not actually giving away anything, everyone who donates is funding the prize. Sounds daft to me. Should just ask for the correct amount and hope people see past certain power mad mods. I don't think it's right to keep excess funding either. What sort of giveaways do you guys do? I've never seen one. I'll possibly donate a little if you're struggling but there's not much incentive.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

hahahahahaha Harreh's pwnin bishes
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

Josiah

Post by Josiah »

Yeah I'm with the Don on this one.

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

Believe it or not, this kind of fundraising arrangement is actually pretty common. When I was in high school, I remember a lot of sports teams and other clubs would conduct "50-50 raffles", where people would buy raffle tickets, and ultimately one winner would receive 50% of the funds collected, and the other 50% would go to the organization. Likewise, my father once participated in a charity drawing where 1000 tickets were sold for $100 each, and at the end they gave away a car. These kinds of fundraisers are great ways to incentivize participation.

axlar
Site Admin

Post by axlar »

they did a 50-50 raffle at Fenway Park during the yankees - red sox game, 50% would go to charity, 50% would go to one lucky winner..
"Sing it, Stijn!"
— Myles Kennedy, during Rise Today
Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam, 3 November 2013

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

DonHarry wrote: What sort of giveaways do you guys do? I've never seen one.
Jared and the gang organized several contests with some really sweet prizes a couple years back. Unfortunately, there was a lot of grousing about it and we haven't seen any contests since. Strange how that works.

And publicly, for the record, if I were to donate any money to be eligible, and then won the giveaway, I'm hereby declining it and returning it to the TABN account. I've made great friends through TABN. That, and reading Macca's comments, are more than enough for me.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ryan
Blood Machines

Post by Ryan »

DonHarry wrote:So you're not actually giving away anything, everyone who donates is funding the prize. Sounds daft to me. Should just ask for the correct amount and hope people see past certain power mad mods. I don't think it's right to keep excess funding either. What sort of giveaways do you guys do? I've never seen one. I'll possibly donate a little if you're struggling but there's not much incentive.
Daft? It's incentive to get more people to donate. If 30 people donate $10 we hit our goal and you have the chance to donate $10 and win $50.

As for giveaways, you must not have been around or didn't pay attention. I've given a signed bluray of the Amsterdam DVD and a signed poster from the ODR tour from my personal collection in the past.
Photobucket cash grab.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Yeah... we've given out several prizes of our own + we've had connections at Fret12 & RockPit to help out. We had a big DC3 sponsored contest awhile back but unfortunately that didn't go as planned & the main prize wasn't received as promised. We had no control over that by the way... but from now on we have to have the prizes in our possession before we promote them and offer them.

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

As gbruin said, its been years since there were give aways so it must have been before my time. No one needs to get bent out of shape over my opinions. I don't understand why you would give away your own personal items in a competition. My comments on lack of incetive were back by several reasons, not just the donation format. Its just how I feel. People always think things should be done differently or better, doesn't mean they can, its just how it is. You guys get very cagy at criticisms instead of lisening to them. Especially the recurring ones. We're a community so we should try to just be right with eachother.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

DonHarry wrote:I don't understand why you would give away your own personal items in a competition.
Because we want to? Most of them were extras we had left over.

CreedFeed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by CreedFeed »

I think the "daft" remark was made because generally giveaways consist of prizes which are donated either by outside parties or the organization running the giveaway, and not through money being collected. I mean you're asking for donations and that's cool, but to know that part or all of my donation would be used as a "prize" instead of for the actual site.... I think that's where the "daft" comment comes from...

And yes, lots of organizations do things like 50-50 raffles... however those are for charities. No offense, but this site is not a charity. There's a little difference.
-Steve
CreedFeed - Feeding Your Need For Creed!
QuakeOne - Quake 1 Resurrection!

abw1987
Blood Machines

Post by abw1987 »

DonHarry wrote:You guys get very cagy at criticisms instead of lisening to them. Especially the recurring ones. We're a community so we should try to just be right with eachother.
Not cagey; just wanted to explain my thoughts behind the format. I know you can't please everyone. It can be frustrating given the number of hours we sink into keeping this place running. Of course you are more than welcome to voice your opinions. It's a bit too late to change the format this time around, but we'll certainly keep everyone's thoughts in mind the next time around. Anyway, ultimately we're all here to promote the band and foster the AB fan community.

:cheers

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Because we want to? Most of them were extras we had left over.
It's not a problem Jared. If you wanted to donate your every asset that'd be up to you. Just because I don't understand what you stand to gain from giving your gear away doesn't mean you shouldn't do it for the reasons that make sense to you. Relax.
Not cagey; just wanted to explain my thoughts behind the format. I know you can't please everyone. It can be frustrating given the number of hours we sink into keeping this place running. Of course you are more than welcome to voice your opinions. It's a bit too late to change the format this time around, but we'll certainly keep everyone's thoughts in mind the next time around. Anyway, ultimately we're all here to promote the band and foster the AB fan community.
Course man. You weren't the focus of my comments but it's all good. The monies will easily be achieved by the looks of it. 75% there and only 5 people have donated. People are obviously feeling very generous indeed.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Yeah, given the troubles we had with the DC3 giveaway, we've been a little reluctant to get too head over heels in contests. A few summers ago, we received a good handful of copies of Live From Amsterdam from RockPit (before it went under), and used those to hold a bunch of different contests - some as random drawings based on Twitter follows/retweets, some for fun little games we put together here on the board. And of course, some people found ways to complain about how those were being given away, but that's life with a large community.

Definitely want to thank those who have contributed already! We're 3/4 of the way to our goal almost overnight - you guys are awesome!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

DonHarry wrote:As gbruin said, its been years since there were give aways so it must have been before my time. No one needs to get bent out of shape over my opinions. I don't understand why you would give away your own personal items in a competition. My comments on lack of incetive were back by several reasons, not just the donation format. Its just how I feel. People always think things should be done differently or better, doesn't mean they can, its just how it is. You guys get very cagy at criticisms instead of lisening to them. Especially the recurring ones. We're a community so we should try to just be right with eachother.
Hey DH, I hope you don't think I was criticizing you or your opinion, because that wasn't my intent. I was just filling you in about some of the contests and giveaways that used to go on here. They were really pretty fun.

:cheers
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

DonHarry
King Slayer

Post by DonHarry »

Not at all mate. I wasn't getting at you, actually I wasn't getting at anyone as such but I was referring more to Ryan and Jared who might have taken offense at my comments. Didn't mean them with any hostility. Well maybe my comment to Jared. No love lost there though.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

Gbruin wrote:That, and reading Macca's comments, are more than enough for me.
<3
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?