AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Thanks for that write-up. Love hearing from Day 1 die hards.

The lyrics are my favorite part. Its like the sequel to White Knuckles.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

Sugar Blade wrote:I will never understand why modern rock bands still make music videos like «the band is playing at the warehouse/in the basement». I get it that it's cheap, but how is it supposed to promote anything if it looks exactly like hundreds of other videos?
Firstly they cost a bomb. Dropping $2mil on a video like Guns N' Roses used to just isn't viable, especially because they know that nobody really cares about videos anymore. MTV/VH1 don't show them anymore, hardly anybody sits and watches the actual video channels, they just go on in the background of parties or while people are doing the housework.

Also, the money now is in live performances, there's very little money in record sales. By just showing the band, their performance style, and their look/vibe, it's advertising the gig they want you to come to rather than the single/album itself.

I also actually think big storytelling music videos can detract from the song itself. It forces meaning on to a track that could otherwise be open to interpretation and closer personal relatability. Like when you read a book and you visualise the characters and you read dialogue in a certain way, then a film comes out and the people aren't how you imagined them and they don't talk how you read it, so it doesn't feel like your story anymore. Just having shots of the band leaves the song still open to interpretation while giving the company execs something to put on YouTube that looks better than just the cover art.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

Melody police here:

The song is solid. Better than SMAL. Not a lot of melodic hooks - but, then again, AB tends to lean more toward dynamic hooks rather than melodic hooks - especially over the last 2 albums. What made ODR, BB, and ABIII so great was that they had both.

Even MT will tell you, as always, that a good melodic song is king. And, yet, it seems like melody has taken a back seat to diversity and dynamics. There's nothing wrong with being diverse or dynamic - but you have to be melodic first.

Ultimately, what's "melodic" to me might not be to someone else and I get that. And, of course, you don't want to stereotype and play the same four chords either. It's a juggling act, no doubt - trying to create something, making it melodic, different, dynamic, and not radio friendly (in some cases).

Chris Davis was a first baseman for the Texas Rangers. He had a TON of power and amazing potential for the home run ball. But, he got over coached, got inside is own head, and struck out all the time. The Rangers finally gave up on him and Chris Davis went to the Orioles. When he got there, another outfielder told him not to overthink it and to "just hit the ball". Davis went on to hit 45-50 home runs that year and all because he kept it simple and didn't overthink it. I feel it would do AB a lot of good to "just hit the ball" instead of overthinking it or even underthinking it, really.

Ask themselves, with each song, "can we make this song better?" "Are fans going to sing along to this live?" Or "Is this the best album we've ever done?" If the answer is no, then go back to work. I feel like these questions were asked during the making of "Human Clay" and "Blackbird" - but that's it. And the irony is, both of those albums are what arguably made Creed and Alter Bridge recognizable names.

I guess, in short: Don't be complacent, AB. Dig deep and don't come back up until you've found buried treasure - because it's there. You just have to look harder. I'm hoping this new album is just that.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Hope the album doesnt sound as rushed as its mediocre single, sheesh im nervous

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Chris Davis is literally the worst player in Major League Baseball.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

AB23 wrote:Chris Davis is literally the worst player in Major League Baseball.
I mean, yeah... but wrong thread ma dude.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
I mean, yeah... but wrong thread ma dude.
Not if you read Troops4Tremonti's post.

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

Not when he signed with the Orioles (or got traded - I can't remember). He's terrible now - which sort of lessens the analogy, but I think the message still holds up.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Blackbirddd wrote:A single can't be a grower guys, you have to be hooked to the song right away
I don't know how accurate Bohemian Rhapsody was in portraying its title track, but according to the film it was a grower as well (at least on the critic airwaves).

This is keeping in mind that BR is anything but a generic song, of course.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I don't get all of the hate for SMAL. Fucking killer lead single. I like this one too.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

Kreuger wrote:I don't get all of the hate for SMAL. Fucking killer lead single. I like this one too.
Yep, I'm with you, that's actually a perfect radio single.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Blackbirddd wrote:
Kreuger wrote:I don't get all of the hate for SMAL. Fucking killer lead single. I like this one too.
Yep, I'm with you, that's actually a perfect radio single.
My only issue was always the "No's" in the prechorus. Otherwise I agree, great song.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Song kicks ass imo, maybe its the live version that doesnt translate as well ?

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

I just think they overdubbed the fuck out of Myles' voice to the point where it got annoying. I don't need the operatic Bohemian Rhapsody throughout 80% of the song. But it's art. So people are allowed to hate it or love it, and they're totally reasonable for doing either.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

So, looks like Pay No Mind will be the next track released. iTunes put the song length up and whenever they do that, means it’s coming out pretty soon.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

joshuabeau wrote:So, looks like Pay No Mind will be the next track released. iTunes put the song length up and whenever they do that, means it’s coming out pretty soon.
Torn between dying to hear a new song and not wanting them to come out too quick since there's still 3 months left. Guess it doesn't matter though, I'm still listening the second it's available :rockon

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

joshuabeau wrote:So, looks like Pay No Mind will be the next track released. iTunes put the song length up and whenever they do that, means it’s coming out pretty soon.
I'm confused, I can see all of them.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Blackbirddd wrote:
If you look at the album on Apple Music they usually update the tracks with the lengths prior to its release every time and right now only Wouldnt You Rather and Pay No Mind have the track lengths up so I'd assume Joshua is right and we could be getting Pay No Mind fairly soon.

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

Blackbirddd wrote:
I’ve noticed that some countries Itunes has all of the track lengths but the US doesn’t for some odd reason.