AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by anguyen92 »

People are going to have their grievances when it comes to the first single. Even I was barley posting in the forums in 2010, people had their gripes with Isolation from what I remember and Isolation became AB's only single that hit #1 on Active Rock. Although I did remember (even though I was avoiding anything about posters' thoughts about songs since I wanted to listen to Fortress blind) that people had good vibes with Addicted to Pain.

benjoAB
White Knuckled

Post by benjoAB »

Blackbirddd wrote:A single can't be a grower guys, you have to be hooked to the song right away
Exactly! If we as a fan base can’t be hooked who love everything the guys touch, what will the wider public make of it I wander?

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

To me both Isolation and Addicted to Pain left the bar pretty damn high as a first single.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

benjoAB wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:A single can't be a grower guys, you have to be hooked to the song right away
Exactly! If we as a fan base can’t be hooked who love everything the guys touch, what will the wider public make of it I wander?
They might actually end up loving it since what they typically listen to doesn't really line-up with what we prefer in the music we like.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

2 listens in. Musically, really good. I like the chugging riff and the intro is unique. Much heavier comapred to SMAL. Verse and pre-chorus are good but the chorus is mehh to me. Decent but not that good. Maybe it will grow on me a bit more but to me your singles have to have catchy choruses. I do like the song!! However, I would really like to know what made them go with this for their first single. Not really a single song to me. Maybe that will change when I listen to a cleaner audio version of the song. Also, the mix is better than the TLH. Heavy but I was able to hear the riffs, solos, everything on poor quality audio. So for those complaining about the mixing I'm really confused on that one.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

That's just not true. Sure it's the goal, but AB doesn't have a first single on any album that wasn't a grower for me. Open Your Eyes, Rise Today, Isolation, and Addicted To Pain. All took multiple listens to really enjoy.

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

I disagree. Open your eyes wasnt a instant hit for my ears and neither was Rise Today.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Well you've all lowered my expectations marvelously :lol
For all of the hope that it brings...

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Open Your Eyes was the first ever AB song I have heard and I was hooked instantly. Rise Today was also a very catchy song when it came out (and they just really over-saturated that one to the ground on that one in the live shows). Isolation was a grower. I didn't listen to Addicted to Pain when it came out since I wanted to listen to it with the album in full. Show Me A Leader was solid though.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
That's just not true. Sure it's the goal, but AB doesn't have a first single on any album that wasn't a grower for me. Open Your Eyes, Rise Today, Isolation, and Addicted To Pain. All took multiple listens to really enjoy.
Based on that every song we hear are growers, but we use that term for songs that comes from bad/meh/regular to good, personally this song, as a single, needs a lot of listens to start liking it, I'm actually on it but I've already listened like 25 times :lol And I don't feel much different.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Isolation instantly blew my mind. That song basically made me an AB fan.

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

Ubik wrote:Well you've all lowered my expectations marvelously :lol
This! Haha :D
Mr. Slash wrote:Isolation instantly blew my mind. That song basically made me an AB fan.
I remember when I heard that single for the first time. Blew me away that a first single would be so heavy and, indeed, made me a definite fan.

ToNsOFuN88
Isolated

Post by ToNsOFuN88 »

Blackbirddd wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
Based on that every song we hear are growers, but we use that term for songs that comes from bad/meh/regular to good, personally this song, as a single, needs a lot of listens to start liking it, I'm actually on it but I've already listened like 25 times :lol And I don't feel much different.
Down to My Last, Slip to the Void, Cry of Achilles, Lover, This Side Of Fate. All examples of love at first listen for me. I could flood you with so many more, but those are just a few examples. It sounds like this one just isn't going to do it for you, and that's ok. I'm sure you will like or even love other songs on the album. I guarantee this single wont even be close to my favorite song on the album.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

It's hard for the first single to be part the fave five of the album. Open Your Eyes is a fave five AB song overall for me. No other first singles they had released came close to that and those songs is not even a top five album of its respective album for me.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Blackbirddd wrote:To me both Isolation and Addicted to Pain left the bar pretty damn high as a first single.
Exactly. Those songs grab you. So much personality, energy and melody. This song is so bland and boring. This is not "quintessential Alter Bridge". Its mediocre B-side type of material. I don't see this song going anywhere - at all. Can't even get excited about hearing it live. Its just too meh. They missed it with this one. :/

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

It's no Isolation.

The Slash influence is also undeniable (and not particularly welcome). Too early to comment on the mixing / mastering but my first impression is not positive.

I think I prefer it to Show Me A Leader (faint praise).

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
Blackbirddd wrote:
ToNsOFuN88 wrote:
Down to My Last, Slip to the Void, Cry of Achilles, Lover, This Side Of Fate. All examples of love at first listen for me. I could flood you with so many more, but those are just a few examples. It sounds like this one just isn't going to do it for you, and that's ok. I'm sure you will like or even love other songs on the album. I guarantee this single wont even be close to my favorite song on the album.
Yeah I'm sure of that too, AB it's not a band of 2 good singles per album and the rest filled with garbage, so I'm expecting to hear more soon :cheers

Mr.Vlado
Bought The CDs

Post by Mr.Vlado »

Listened to it at least 10 times now... and I'm still not sure about it...

I would say it's a good song with great parts and mediocre parts.
I love the Intro Riff, the Bridge and the Verse is good, too.

The solo is okay, but nothing special.
The chorus grew on me already, but it is still kind of simple and boring. Myles is using his "Slash voice" at times, similar to in SMAL imo.
I also really don't like the ending with the echoing of Myles' Slash voice. The similarities to his work with Slash is undeniable imo.

I am thinking maybe they've chosen this one and SMAL as singles due to the similarities with Slash & the Conspirators to get some more people on board who love Myles' work with Slash? Just an assumption.

At the moment I would rate this song 7/10. Slightly disappointed.

TremontiFan4Life
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by TremontiFan4Life »

I've listened to it about 8 to 10 times on repeat through my headphones and the one thing that really bugs me is the production, it could be all the compression but it just really sounds muddy to me.

When I first heard Isolation I thought of that as AB's Enter Sandman. To me it felt like 100 miles an hour from the beginning, it felt like the song just wanted to blow out of my speakers. The same with Addicted to Pain, this single I can't really make heads or tails of yet, if I tried it wouldn't be fair, hopefully the studio track doesn't sound so bad sonically

joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by joshuabeau »

The verses sound a lot like The Uninvited.