AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Blackbirddd »

chtimixeur wrote:I'd rather have a short album with no fillers than a longer album with a couple of fillers.
Look at ODR: I think it's perfect as it is, and if a couple of the B-sides that were recorded during those sessions had been included in the tracklist, the album would be way less impressive as a whole.
On the other hand we have Blackbird, which IMHO would be a MUCH stronger album without Coming Home, One by One and Break me Down (I would also switch Buried Alive with New Way to Live).

Right now, as I type this, I can't think of a 14 song album that is incredible from top to bottom.

Also, we already know the album is 60 minutes long, and for me, it's just too long. I've always prefered albums that were 40 or 45 minutes long, but that's just me.
Blackbird without Coming Home?!?!? Damn...

Vaux
Isolated

Post by Vaux »

You guys are crazy. I always want as much music as I can get from them. Let me decide what I do or don't like. Your filler might be my favorite song.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Vaux wrote:You guys are crazy. I always want as much music as I can get from them. Let me decide what I do or don't like. Your filler might be my favorite song.
Yep, definitely agree with this. Plus, I can't believe there are people who would think "Coming Home" is filler.

Also, to me the filler songs on ODR are "Down to My Last" and "Shed My Skin", so I'm sure there are more than a few people on this board who'd probably want me killed for having those songs left off that album.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

VigilantSteve wrote: Yep, definitely agree with this. Plus, I can't believe there are people who would think "Coming Home" is filler.

Also, to me the filler songs on ODR are "Down to My Last" and "Shed My Skin", so I'm sure there are more than a few people on this board who'd probably want me killed for having those songs left off that album.
:eek

Yea...

Those are top 10 for me
Thanks Timo!

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

That the first five tracks (apparently) average 3:30 is actually quite a big change when you look at the band's back catalogue, which has 4 tracks that made the albums in TOTAL that last under 4 minutes. Not a single one since I Know It Hurts on ABIII. (Though a further 4 among the b-sides.) Wonder if that's a function of them writing songs by themselves, as they both do plenty in their solo outings.
For all of the hope that it brings...

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

It really does seem like a big change. Doesn't mean the music will be bad, but it's impossible not to notice. Maybe that's part of the challenge for them to do something different this time though? See if they can make a quality selection of short songs?

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Yeah. We may have some more Come To Life/Ties type of tunes here. And I'm ok with that.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Maybe the shorter songs means we’ll get MORE new songs in the set?

Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Post by Nick_917 »

WaywardOne wrote:It really does seem like a big change. Doesn't mean the music will be bad, but it's impossible not to notice. Maybe that's part of the challenge for them to do something different this time though? See if they can make a quality selection of short songs?
Key word is quality. Year of the Tiger generally had shorter songs but you could tell his heart was in every one of them, and they all worked towards conveying his message. Hopefully Walk the Sky can have a good flow and not feel rushed or anything.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

WaywardOne wrote:It really does seem like a big change. Doesn't mean the music will be bad, but it's impossible not to notice. Maybe that's part of the challenge for them to do something different this time though? See if they can make a quality selection of short songs?
You might even say it seems like a...radical change
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

poshisjarker wrote:
There’s a door somewhere here for you to show yourself out ;)

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I like long albums, but long albums require different sounds and need to flow well. When it's just a collection of songs, and four songs on the album sound alike and share the same patterns/layers/moods, one or two of them could easily be taken off the album, even though they might be perfectly fine songs.

The length of the songs don't bother me, as long as the songs have a good flow.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
poshisjarker wrote:
There’s a door somewhere here for you to show yourself out ;)
The ships have come to take me away into exile
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

Apple killed the concept of an "album" with iTunes. I'm surprised people even care. I listen start to finish on very first listen of AB records, but never again after that. I just pick whatever I feel like hearing.

Come to Life flows into Brand New Start, but other than that, whats the point of listening to their records as "an album"? Don't get it.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

For the same reason people watch TV shows from start to finish and don't pick random episodes and go back and forth between seasons.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

Ubik wrote:That the first five tracks (apparently) average 3:30 is actually quite a big change when you look at the band's back catalogue, which has 4 tracks that made the albums in TOTAL that last under 4 minutes. Not a single one since I Know It Hurts on ABIII. (Though a further 4 among the b-sides.) Wonder if that's a function of them writing songs by themselves, as they both do plenty in their solo outings.
I'm wondering if there isn't an instrumental or an interlude type of song in there that is shorter, or a short intro type of thing for the first track that flows into the second track as some bands do on albums. It could be kind of short, maybe a minute or two, which brings down the average quite a bit.

I know it's not really something they've done before, but who is to say they aren't trying something new?

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Exactly! I always, and I mean always! Listen to an album from start to finish. An album is a cohesive body of work and for me the best way I can enjoy it is by listening to the entire thing. Experience the whole thing as it was intended to be heard

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

peapod0609 wrote:
Ubik wrote:That the first five tracks (apparently) average 3:30 is actually quite a big change when you look at the band's back catalogue, which has 4 tracks that made the albums in TOTAL that last under 4 minutes. Not a single one since I Know It Hurts on ABIII. (Though a further 4 among the b-sides.) Wonder if that's a function of them writing songs by themselves, as they both do plenty in their solo outings.
I'm wondering if there isn't an instrumental or an interlude type of song in there that is shorter, or a short intro type of thing for the first track that flows into the second track as some bands do on albums. It could be kind of short, maybe a minute or two, which brings down the average quite a bit.

I know it's not really something they've done before, but who is to say they aren't trying something new?
It would be cool indeed. Based off of the white board picture there is a song where no vocal tracks were recorded so we’re guessing the album have an instrumental. Whether it’s a full fledged 4 Minutes instrument or just a small interlude, we don’t know yet

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Okay all, time for an episode of BOARD ANALYSIS - (WALK THE SKY)

A reminder:

They were deeply stingy with their board tease again this year, but now we have the song titles we can match several! In row order:

1. Not visible
2. Not visible
3. Pay No Mind (no solo)
4. Likely to be Wouldn't You Rather
5. Not enough visible
6. Would fit In the Deep
7. Would fit Forever Falling
8. Would fit Tear Us Apart (no solo)
9. Indoctrination
10. Not clear enough
11. Native Son (no solo)
12. The Bitter End
13. Dying Light (Mark & Myles solos)
14. Not clear enough (no solo)

That leaves 5 - One Life, Godspeed, Take The Crown, Walking on the Sky and Clear Horizon. Of those, 2 were mentioned as potential live staples (Godspeed and Walking on the Sky). So I'd say, if that top one really is an instrumental and isn't just a photo they took before they'd crossed everything off, it would be between One Life, Take the Crown and Clear Horizon (I don't think they'd name drop an instrumental as a live track over one with vocals). Also skeptical they'd open with one, but they've had success with extended instrumental openers recently so you never know. I'm leaning towards it being a photo taken before they'd completed the board.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Marshall
White Knuckled

Post by Marshall »

Some HQ pictures: