AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
Nick_917
Loyal Follower

Re: AB VI Studio/Recording Thread

Post by Nick_917 »

John3977 wrote:I don’t understand why people hate that he mixes things with layers the way he does. I think if you look back at the albums before fortress such as III it had a much more stripped down sound to it.
First of all welcome to the forums :cheers To get to your point, IMO a stripped down sound is not a negative thing. Too many layers are harsh on the ears. You can't pick out what each instrument is doing. High energy is all fine and nice, but it also needs to be a pleasant listening experience, not just a constant slam to the face.
"Whatever takes us away
Will be the same to drive us on."

Sugar Blade
Bought The CDs

Post by Sugar Blade »

John3977 wrote:I don’t mean to be the new guy to step on anyone’s toes but reading some of the posts on the forum it seems like some take real issue with his involvement which I don’t understand. To me without him they would sound like Creed and ODR.
For me personally, The Last Hero is unlistenable as a whole album. I can listen 2-3 tracks at once, than I remove headphones and I will hear sonitus for a while. It's very tiring for ears.

Also, they've included one of the unreleased songs «Breath» from ODR sessions on Best Buy edition of TLH and difference in sound was obvious and not in favor of TLH. You could hear all the instruments, while TLH felt like they've been mixed by someone who loves Loudness War.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

John3977 wrote:The follow-up to 2016’s The Last Hero was recorded differently from the band’s previous material, with vocalist Myles Kennedy and guitarist Mark Tremonti entering the studio with complete song ideas. These were then moulded into shape by the duo along with bassist Brian Marshall and drummer Scott Phillips.

On previous albums Kennedy and Tremonti would combine ideas and riffs with producer Michael ‘Elvis’ Baskette to form some of the band’s most best-loved tracks.

I understand that. I really have loved the stuff from these guys. I don’t understand why people hate that he mixes things with layers the way he does. I think if you look back at the albums before fortress such as III it had a much more stripped down sound to it. To me new alter bridge is fantastic news. I don’t mean to be the new guy to step on anyone’s toes but reading some of the posts on the forum it seems like some take real issue with his involvement which I don’t understand. To me without him they would sound like Creed and ODR. I’m not a huge fan of Myles work with slash and except say a song or two. Mayfield was cool. His solo album was ok. I don’t want to feel like im listening to a conspirators and slash album.
This is more the writing change that happened this time round, as the songs used to be shaped far more in pre-production with Elvis. It's gonna be really interesting to see what comes out as a result.

Have we decided which ones are epics yet? Walking On the Sky seems a fair bet for one, given precedence.
For all of the hope that it brings...

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

I think the bitter end, walking on the sky and Dying light could be epics. One life could be as well. Really hoping that at least one of them is above the 6 Minutes mark!

On another note, is there someone here good with computer that could redesign the album cover to fit an IPhone XS wallpaper size ?

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

UK is getting AB, Shinedown and Sevendust... you lucky bastards. That's a "cannot miss" for post-grunge fans.

Album art is cool. The tracklisting is intriguing. Their SIXTH album. Six. Damn, time flies. Looking forward to those interviews or reviews where each song is broken down and you have to guess/attempt to interpret how it will sound.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Based on last two/three albums, I'm gonna guess the closer is an epic as well. It's got a moody title and it's supposed to be "moving".
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I'd say Dying Light. They always choose an epic song to close the album.

RikJohannsen
Bought The CDs

Post by RikJohannsen »

I still hope that One Life is a pure instrumental track, although the reviews say that it starts with a vocal melody...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

RikJohannsen wrote:I still hope that One Life is a pure instrumental track, although the reviews say that it starts with a vocal melody...
So like, it’s not going to be an instrumental...

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Dying light could very well be the instrumental

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Holding out hope that at some point, the Parallax Orchestra was contacted for this record...

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

Hope so too. And that we can hear it :S

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

My Guesses
Napalm Records
1. One Life
2. Wouldn’t You Rather -banger
3. In the Deep
4. Godspeed
5. Native Son
6. Take the Crown -definitely hard and fast banger
7. Indoctrination- political track
8. The Bitter End- anthem
9. Pay No Mind- all I hear in my head is Metallica's "No Leaf Clover" line "pay no mind to the distant thunder"
10. Forever Falling- Water Rising 2.0
11. Clear Horizon- accoustic parts
12. Walking on the Sky- Title Track Epic but lighter??? like a happier Blackbird,
13. Tear Us Apart
14. Dying Light-instrumental

MrsPog
Bought The CDs

Post by MrsPog »

Silvercreed wrote:Hope so too. And that we can hear it :S
Indeed! On the night they sounded phenomenal... so much lost on the recorded mix. A real shame in my humble opinion.
If they are involved... BRING IT ON!

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

A lot of the songs titles and album title sound epic. I’m curious as to what kind of mood the first single will have? They have been pretty good with their initial picks. Tremonti did well with Take you with me. I get what a lot of people say about the sound of TLH but the single show me a leader was fun, had great flow, an amazing intro and awesome solo to it. I understand they have to be somewhat radio friendly so we will see...

John3977
Brand New Start

Re: I'm putting a lot of dots for emphasis

Post by John3977 »

anguyen92 wrote:
John3977 wrote:I understand that. I really have loved the stuff from these guys. I don’t understand why people hate that he mixes things with layers the way he does. I think if you look back at the albums before fortress such as III it had a much more stripped down sound to it. To me new alter bridge is fantastic news. I don’t mean to be the new guy to step on anyone’s toes but reading some of the posts on the forum it seems like some take real issue with his involvement which I don’t understand. To me without him they would sound like Creed and ODR. I’m not a huge fan of Myles work with slash and except say a song or two. Mayfield was cool. His solo album was ok. I don’t want to feel like im listening to a conspirators and slash album.
Which the last two Slash/Myles/Conspirators albums was also produced by Elvis...............................................................................

I get that. It’s nothing personal. I just feel like Elvis, Tremonti and Myles together are magic. I like Myles, I just didn’t feel like the songs on his solo and with slash had a lot of great hooks. I feel like Tremonti has amazing ability to do that well and when all three work together it’s magic.

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

Nick_917 wrote:
John3977 wrote:I don’t understand why people hate that he mixes things with layers the way he does. I think if you look back at the albums before fortress such as III it had a much more stripped down sound to it.
First of all welcome to the forums :cheers To get to your point, IMO a stripped down sound is not a negative thing. Too many layers are harsh on the ears. You can't pick out what each instrument is doing. High energy is all fine and nice, but it also needs to be a pleasant listening experience, not just a constant slam to the face.

Thanks for the welcome. I get what you mean about the slam to the face. I guess easing off that a bit would be good. He did a great job on Fortress, not sure why he turned it up a notch unless Tremonti and company were pushing for a more aggressive sound.

John3977
Brand New Start

Post by John3977 »

Sugar Blade wrote:
John3977 wrote:I don’t mean to be the new guy to step on anyone’s toes but reading some of the posts on the forum it seems like some take real issue with his involvement which I don’t understand. To me without him they would sound like Creed and ODR.
For me personally, The Last Hero is unlistenable as a whole album. I can listen 2-3 tracks at once, than I remove headphones and I will hear sonitus for a while. It's very tiring for ears.

Also, they've included one of the unreleased songs «Breath» from ODR sessions on Best Buy edition of TLH and difference in sound was obvious and not in favor of TLH. You could hear all the instruments, while TLH felt like they've been mixed by someone who loves Loudness War.
I guess the sound affects people differently. I just felt like they were trying to be heavier and push it.

poshisjarker
White Knuckled

Post by poshisjarker »

John3977 wrote:
Sugar Blade wrote:

I guess the sound affects people differently. I just felt like they were trying to be heavier and push it.
Imo the best approach to pushing the heaviness is never to compress stuff more. There's a reason why King's X-Dogman sounds so heavy. It's recorded in a simple way and there is a rawness to it and as a result it punches right through in great clarity. If the Dogman album had TLH production, it would not at all have the same effect. Heck...Car Bomb-Meta is maybe the most heavy sounding album i've ever heard and the guitars cut through like a razor blade but...reason why is very little compression is involved. It isn't muddy at all. You can actually detach the guitars from the drums. On TLH the choruses are a mess sonically when the guitars and drums are all on top of each other.
Abe Lincoln- "Honey, where did you put my shirt?"

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

What’s so odd is that Fortress sounds fantastic.. World on fire does as well and even YOTT sounds insanely good. I really feel like it was the band that pushed him to make the record sound more heavy