The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
Devil Inside You
Isolated

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by Devil Inside You »

Dimitris wrote:Love your Nickname man ,Devil inside you sounded like Creed met Black Sabbath ,i so want to hear that song finished
Thanks dude!!! Yeah, the audio of that song was so good. I figured since Creed is probably never getting back together, it wouldn't be cliche to use a song a my username. Especially one as esoteric as Devil Inside You.

So, about Face of the Sun. I like the chorus but the verses seem really campy. I know people complained about Wake Up Call but based off the first listen for both songs, I think Wake Up Call fits the album vibe more. Purpose for Pain, Name and Wake Up Call all have these reflective undertones and somber vibe. Face of the Sun feels more like a call back to Hit Me More. Which is fine, I like both songs but it just goes back to one of my earlier posts. I wish he saved Somber for this album instead of wasting it on Art of Anarchy.

Devil Inside You
Isolated

double post. Still figuring the site out. Lol

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I like face of the sun. It's a decent rock song. I didn't like the video because they put too much political stuff in it. The song kind of reminded me of Alter Bridge lyrically lol. Yeah, I like the song. I like all of the songs so far except wake up call. This record will be better than PoL for sure, they just have to stop releasing songs now or else there wont be much need in buying the album lol

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Devil Inside You wrote:1. I know people complained about Wake Up Call but based off the first listen for both songs, I think Wake Up Call fits the album vibe more. Purpose for Pain, Name and Wake Up Call all have these reflective undertones and somber vibe. Face of the Sun feels more like a call back to Hit Me More. Which is fine, 2. I like both songs but it just goes back to one of my earlier posts. I wish he saved Somber for this album instead of wasting it on Art of Anarchy.
I can somewhat see where you're coming from with this point, but imo Wake up call doesn't fit the record where it matters and that's musically. All of the songs are rock songs - so far - are rock songs and then wake up call comes out of the left field like someone burned it from the cd from some pop bands record and stuck it on stapps. Musically it doesn't fit the record. I think there is something to be said for consistency. Although experimentation is justified as an artist, there is a proper way to do it and a time and place. I don't know if sticking that in the middle of a hard rock album is a good idea.

Look at Human Clay, the classic record. The songs sound different enough but there is consistent musical thread that leads you throughout the musical journey of the record.

And your second point I totally agree with. Somber was wasted on AoA especially because they, bumblefoot, completely butchered the song. Compare the original to the AoA version. The original had beautiful weeping guitars and other great guitar work. Bumblefoot, or whoever played it, ruined it all. They also sped the song up, trimming the fat a bit, when the songs length actually worked in its favor because it a sad slow, ballad about a ruined love. Not a hard fast thrasher, something I don't think the AoA band understood. The change in speed also affected the vocals, which were worse. Instead of him singing around, his voice dancing above the music, now it came off as forceful. The Aoa version ruined the song and I'm glad I still have the original.

austin.
On The Rail

Post by austin. »

Think he did what he did with AoA. Released all the good songs first...... I remember an interview and if I’m guessing right based off what he was saying, there’s slow songs and stuff. Was only a few “heavy” ones and I think we’ve gotten those with name purposes for pain and I’d guess this new song face of the sun?

Devil Inside You
Isolated

What I liked about Wake Up Call (only listened once til the rest of the album drops) is it does feel somewhat new for Stapp. Honestly, to me its like Stapp goes Lifehouse or maybe even later Linkin Park. Pop and commercial? Absolutely, but it did feel fresh. I do agree though that its probably purchased from Ed Sheeran or someone haha. Whereas Face of the Sun, ironically feels to upbeat for me. Like something Theory of a Deadman or Puddle of Mudd would put together. Especially based off the title which I expected to be darker. I agree with you on Human Clay but to be fair, i don't think Stapp's albums can be compared to Creed's sans The Great Divide. I do think he's really inspired for this album but we'll see. I'm just grateful he's made a song that's over five minutes again with Red Clouds(?).

Hell yeah man. Somber is honestly his best lyrical work since My Own Prison in my eyes. Beautiful beautiful song. I also think its one of the few songs he recorded with his "bad" voice that worked with it. Its easily one of his most majestic tracks and Art of Anarchy turned into some generic throwaway song. You'd think someone like Bumblefoot could understand what made that song good to begin with but I guess not.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I can hear the style similarity between Wake up and New Day Coming. I'm not a fan of those anthemic pop songs, and I really don't understand what he's trying to achieve with those. It feels to me like he's doing those songs for his wife, and not for his fanbase. Or maybe he still thinks he has a shot at getting a top 40 hit, but if he does, he's delusional. He was a big shot 20 years ago, but in 2019, no radio station will put one of his songs on heavy rotation, especially not a pop/rock one.

Face of the Sun, on the other hand, is a really generic and forgettable rock song. I'll say it again, but his voice is not made for uptempo songs, especially in this later part of this career. He's struggling A LOT at 0:49, 0:54, 1:37 and especially at 1:42. He just can't hit those notes, and he's making a fool of himself by releasing such bad vocals. He should really focus on slower songs in the future, because that's the only kind of songs that he can still pull off nicely.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

austin. wrote:Think he did what he did with AoA. Released all the good songs first...... I remember an interview and if I’m guessing right based off what he was saying, there’s slow songs and stuff. Was only a few “heavy” ones and I think we’ve gotten those with name purposes for pain and I’d guess this new song face of the sun?
Which is weird if true, because why would Napalm of all record labels, go with a record that is mostly slow, acoustic or pop songs, when they usually do metal.
chtimixeur wrote:1. I can hear the style similarity between Wake up and New Day Coming. I'm not a fan of those anthemic pop songs, and I really don't understand what he's trying to achieve with those. It feels to me like he's doing those songs for his wife, and not for his fanbase. Or maybe he still thinks he has a shot at getting a top 40 hit, but if he does, he's delusional. He was a big shot 20 years ago, but in 2019, no radio station will put one of his songs on heavy rotation, especially not a pop/rock one.

2. Face of the Sun, on the other hand, is a really generic and forgettable rock song. I'll say it again, but his voice is not made for uptempo songs, especially in this later part of this career. He's struggling A LOT at 0:49, 0:54, 1:37 and especially at 1:42. He just can't hit those notes, and he's making a fool of himself by releasing such bad vocals. He should really focus on slower songs in the future, because that's the only kind of songs that he can still pull off nicely.
I agree with your first point, except, the only way he could be put on heavy rotation would be if he collabed with someone more famous than him and in a more pop genre. But I guess the problem being is that he has a pretty bad reputation I think so I don't think people want to work with him. But when Creed gets back together and they happen to make some magic I guess they could have a chance, a small one. But the issue is Rock music just isn't popular anymore anyways. So I mostly agree with you.

Your second point, I mean, yeah he doesn't have his old voice. He's ruined it over the years due to various things. But I think it's decent enough for me, at least, to enjoy. He can still sing some of those Creed songs really well. His voice has actually gotten better since the creed reunion days.

I like the song Face of the Sun. It's not on the scale of the songs of TGD but it's better than most of PoL. The thing is, the music on stapps records are only as good as the people writing it. He should definitely get back with the people who did TGD with him. But this record seems decent. I don't expect Stapp to put out a classic record with a solo effort, that comes when he and tremonti get together and make Creed magic

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

1. Stapp is too old to get a hit record. Sad but unfortunately true. Aside from us hardcore fans, no one actually cares...

2. He nails the old Creed tunes. He just can't sing faster songs with high notes, but for a reason I can't understand, he keeps recording that kind of tracks.

3. I highly doubt Stapp and Tremonti would be able to make magic together in the future. Mark just doesn't write the kind of music he did from 1997 to 2004, and Full Circle showed the chemistry between them was mostly gone. If the best he can offer is watered down AB tracks, he can keep them for his solo records or some other project... IMHO, the best Full Circle track is worse than the worst 1997-2001 golden era song, and it really feels to me like I'm listening to two different bands.

Shortman45
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Shortman45 »

Wow a lot of negativity. To each his own I guess.

I like Face of the Sun. The chorus is catchy and I like how his voice sounds. I just wish the verses flowed better. I'm optimistic for the rest of the album.

As for a Creed reunion, I still have hope that they will get back together again. I actually like a few songs on Full Circle. Overcome, Rain, A Thousand Faces, Time and On My Sleeve were as good as 'golden' era Creed IMO.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Well, not for me. You can call it negativity, but believe me when I say I was extremely excited when the reunion and Full Circle were announced. I was convinced they would bring that old Creed magic back, and since Mark's previous record was Blackbird, I thought Creed would reach new levels and become that huge band once again.

10 years later, we've still got Stapp who's representing Creed in 2019, no matter what his detractors say, I think he's doing a great job at playing the old Creed songs. And why is that? Because he's staying true to the original tempo and arrangements. The current great shape of his vocals sure does help too!

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

I like Wake Up Call and Face of the Sun. Although both are nothing musically spectacular or distinctive they are still very listenable.

Wake Up Call is as mellow as it goes from Scott. Lyric is bland and simple. Music is even more simple. But thid is the kind of song Scott can sing live and the fans sing along to. I can imagine deep in the middle of the set after many heavy songs Scott sings this. It would be refreshing.

Face of the Sun is the kind of song that gets played on rock station. And that is the reason for the single.

I stop expecting Scott music to sound like Creed of old for awhile now. I learn to enjoy whatever Scott put out. The raw energy, honesty and voice are what kept me listening and looking forward to his music. His music will keep on sounding different each time because of collaborations with different players.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I would say that Lullaby is a more mellow song and it fits better because it actually has a guitar in it.

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

Lullaby is difinitely the mellowest. On a side note it is a very beautiful thing Scott, his wife and Yiannis did for the children.

Micky
On The Rail

Post by Micky »

Where are yall hearing Wake Up Call?
Thanks Andy!

number1
Bought The CDs

Post by number1 »

Micky wrote:Where are yall hearing Wake Up Call?
https://vimeo.com/337995165/description

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Here's another good rendition of Name:
https://www.instagram.com/p/ByTUJsUgoxZ/

TheEndisHere
TABN.com Citizen

Post by TheEndisHere »

I feel like the songs just get worse. I liked Purpose For Pain and the rest have been bleh. I still think outside of Purpose for Pain that the AoA stuff is the best stuff Scott has done since Creed, but it still miles (no pun intended) away from the quality you see in an AB or Tremonti record

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Nice interview where he talks about meeting Mark and handling success.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

thnx for posting.