Why does AB ignore much of ODR in its live set?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
ThravRande
Burn It Down

Re: Why does AB ignore much of ODR in its live set?

Post by ThravRande »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
axlar wrote:the guys have evolved.. these songs are 14+ years old...
To counter this: Blackbird is 11 years old, and it’s still the most heavily featured album in their set.
I remember when they were touring ABIII and playing more BB songs than ABIII songs on tour. BB is just an insanely good and popular album. Top down their best album imo.
Myles Kennedy wrote:I think you're as sharp as.... whatever's sharp.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

They should certainly resurrect a few more deep cuts from ODR over time. Down to My Last always killed it live. Feel good atmost, killer guitar solo, super singalong choruses.

They've quite the repertoire to choose from now though. Some albums will always suffer.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

Honestly I think with this new album we may see some more ODR back into the set. Since not i don't see too much of TLH sticking around in the set maybe a song or two. Plus them adding in deep cuts like In Loving Memory, The End is Here and Shed My Skin on the last few legs of TLH tour is promising. Although It would be great if they did a very balanced set since they have enough quality material to do that.

AngusWolfe
Bought The CDs

Post by AngusWolfe »

The Dissident wrote:Honestly I think with this new album we may see some more ODR back into the set. Since not i don't see too much of TLH sticking around in the set maybe a song or two. Plus them adding in deep cuts like In Loving Memory, The End is Here and Shed My Skin on the last few legs of TLH tour is promising. Although It would be great if they did a very balanced set since they have enough quality material to do that.
I think those songs were added so they were very familiar with them for the RAH shows, at least for The End is Here and In Loving Memory.

I do think the band have seen how much we love to hear those less heard songs so hopefully there will be a few more surprises in the coming tours.

The Dissident
White Knuckled

Post by The Dissident »

AngusWolfe wrote:
The Dissident wrote:Honestly I think with this new album we may see some more ODR back into the set. Since not i don't see too much of TLH sticking around in the set maybe a song or two. Plus them adding in deep cuts like In Loving Memory, The End is Here and Shed My Skin on the last few legs of TLH tour is promising. Although It would be great if they did a very balanced set since they have enough quality material to do that.
I think those songs were added so they were very familiar with them for the RAH shows, at least for The End is Here and In Loving Memory.

I do think the band have seen how much we love to hear those less heard songs so hopefully there will be a few more surprises in the coming tours.
Agreed, personally if they rotated in Shed My Skin, The End is Here, Calm the Fire, Cour'd alene and Words Darker the sets would be greatly elevated. They have so many good deep cuts i just wish their setlists were 20-22 songs for each show instead of 18 it would provide so much more room.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

The Dissident wrote:
AngusWolfe wrote:

Agreed, personally if they rotated in Shed My Skin, The End is Here, Calm the Fire, Cour'd alene and Words Darker the sets would be greatly elevated. They have so many good deep cuts i just wish their setlists were 20-22 songs for each show instead of 18 it would provide so much more room.
That sure is lots of singing on Myles' end. Much easier said than done, of course. I agree though, that would be great to see that variation in songs.

I've contended before (and will again) that there is absolutely no reason both Isolation and Crows on a Wire are in the same setlist. They sound far too alike. You'd need more diversity than that.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I wonder what they'll actually hold over from the Last Hero. Mark plainly stated that he didn't care for playing the seven string, so SMAL may be out. The live tuning for My Champion was odd. I could literally see them just playing Writing on the Wall or Crows from that record.

Also, the ODR songs were the highlight of the four shows I saw last tour. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever hear Shed My Skin, In Loving Memory, and One Day Remains live.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

So the new album is set to be released around October, yeah? August 10 will be the 15-year anniversary of the release of One Day Remains. They could make the old-school fan base SO happy if they did even just a short little 2 or 3 week tour in August where they did what Creed did with the My Own Prison tour a few years ago - play ODR in its entirety, then I suppose throw in a few of the other standby "big" songs, or even better, dust off some of the deep cuts and b-sides, and have this really incredible, special show that builds up some buzz and excitement for the upcoming AB VI release. Even if it wasn't a tour, how about a one-off show where they did that, streamed live on YouTube, and/or filmed for a live show release. Oh shit, now that I'm spitballing this as I go, this would be so cool to see done at, say, Floyd's in Tallahassee, or somewhere around Florida where they played their first "hometown" shows. A nice small club setting where they go old school to do the ODR set. PLEASE.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Myles is already too busy in August doing a NA tour with Slash. September is the month set for the album listening party and short set. Would be nice if they do something like a full-on pre-album show around that time as well and commemorate ODR.

Besides, I don't think AB has been that kind of band to go big on "anniversary" shows. They didn't do that on their 10th year anniversary as a band and they didn't even do that in 2017 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of Blackbird (and that was during a time where Slash was still touring with GNR and AB had a much more fuller schedule to fill out during the year).

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

One Drew Remains wrote:I wonder what they'll actually hold over from the Last Hero. Mark plainly stated that he didn't care for playing the seven string, so SMAL may be out. The live tuning for My Champion was odd. I could literally see them just playing Writing on the Wall or Crows from that record.

Also, the ODR songs were the highlight of the four shows I saw last tour. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I'd ever hear Shed My Skin, In Loving Memory, and One Day Remains live.

Hope they keep Writing On The Wall absolute banger and added Poison,Island and would kill for Losing Patience....that bridge rocks.Honestly i love TLH

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

I'm with you on all of those. I was lucky enough to see them play Island of Fools in Kansas City in 2017. I think we're alone on Poison though. I love it, and it's one of the few TLH songs I've learned on guitar.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

One Drew Remains wrote:I'm with you on all of those. I was lucky enough to see them play Island of Fools in Kansas City in 2017. I think we're alone on Poison though. I love it, and it's one of the few TLH songs I've learned on guitar.
Got to see Island, as well. Song kicked ass, one of their best performances that night.

olof79
Rise Today

Post by olof79 »

Unless they play them in the right key +Marks clean tone when its relevant, don't bother.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Yeah, that clean tone sounded soooooo good!!
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

I certainly do miss clean tone.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I miss the acoustic breakdown portion of the show, where they'd pull out the 12 string and do In Loving Memory. I just miss the ODR tour, in general. I know things will never be like that again, but damn, those were some good shows.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.