AB VI Speculation

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
joshuabeau
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: AB VI Speculation

Post by joshuabeau »

I agree with the recent posts. More. Time. TLH is my least favorite of the albums. There's only a few songs i enjoy unlike the first four records, where i can listen to them from front to back and still enjoy them. I am also really hoping the RAH experience has some impact on the new record as well.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

anguyen92 wrote:You know. After watching the Royal Albert Hall, I'm thinking that DVD release represents either a swan song for AB or a rejuvenation going into AB VI
You think that releasing a live DVD with an orchestra means they plan to end the band soon? I fail to see that logic. If anything, I think SMKC might call it quits after this cycle. Slash said something about "finishing what we started" regarding the new album and he could end up doing GNR full-time after the Living The Dream tour.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Slash actually said in a recent interview that he plans to keep the two bands going for the foreseeable future .

jimmbob
Brand New Start

Post by jimmbob »

Quite. His "Finish what we started", quote was in reference to the songs they had left over from the World on Fire sessions.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

One Drew Remains wrote:Absolutely. That's the definition of a band. I personally would love to hear Brian write parts. I'd bet we'd have some Faith No More sounding AB tracks.
I totally agree with you Drew, but I think that's sadly the definition of a band 20 years ago when they could support themselves by writing a great record and selling a couple million copies. It's unfortunate that that formula doesn't apply to most bands anymore. Viability anymore requires frequent touring and that mandates more new material and/or multiple projects so as to have something fresh to play on the road. There aren't many bands that can afford to jam in the studio for months with the reel to reel running waiting to catch lightning in a bottle. And that's part of why music in the 70s and 80s as a whole will never be touched.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Main wish - proper Board updates. None of this cutting off the working titles heresy.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

"I think <insert working title> will be my favorite on the album!

Post by gbruin »

Ubik wrote:Main wish - proper Board updates. None of this cutting off the working titles heresy.
Absolutely. Plus it deprives us of literally pages and pages of absolutely random speculation that a particular working title predicts that a song will have a dreamy moody vibe with prog elements versus a heavy vibe with a face melting solo versus a diverse 7 min epic with both Mark and Myles singing versus...

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Re: "I think <insert working title> will be my favorite on the album!

Post by Ubik »

gbruin wrote: Absolutely. Plus it deprives us of literally pages and pages of absolutely random speculation that a particular working title predicts that a song will have a dreamy moody vibe with prog elements versus a heavy vibe with a face melting solo versus a diverse 7 min epic with both Mark and Myles singing versus...
It's like Christmas without the booze.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

So when exactly they will start coming together for the next album ? I’m sure that info was already shared but somehow I missed that. Will be a challenge with the busy Tremonti, Slash and solo-schedules with perhaps in between also some quality time for family and friends.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ Mark says that they will go into the studio in March to record. Slash/Myles/Conspirators' last show in the Europe tour is on March 15th, but if AB are going into the studio, they usually would spend around the first two weeks of recording on drums and bass first.

I think they have the time to get the ideas fleshed out and finalized in January to record in March and April, but until then, apparently Mark and Myles will play off ideas via Skype any chance they get. Whether this tactic will work out for them remains to be seen (I don't think it's going to work out, personally).

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

Most importantly, I hope they bring back the stylized A and E in the logo. These plain-ass letters all the way across the logo just look like bad MS Word clipart text.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Meaning: I agree!

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote:Most importantly, I hope they bring back the stylized A and E in the logo. These plain-ass letters all the way across the logo just look like bad MS Word clipart text.
Word.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Here's an update from a recent interview from Myles with regards to the timeline for AB VI. It doesn't look as optimistic as I hope to be. Looks like Slash/Myles/Conspirators really wants to get longer stretches of touring than they usually would do.
OD – With the new album out now, are there plans for a pretty intense touring schedule or is that not really on the cards as of yet?

MYLES – The powers that be are trying to put the pieces in place and it’s challenging because of everybody’s schedules. The plan is to hit it hard when we do go out there. In the past, we did a few weeks of shows and then taken a rest. This time around, I believe that we are gonna be on the road for very long periods of time starting early in 2019 and just go as long as we can until the other projects become a priority. It’s gonna be intense for sure! (laughing)

It’s not set in stone yet but from what I’ve been hearing, we are gonna be out on the road for longer periods of time than some of us have ever experienced before, so it should be interesting, to say the least. (laughing)

OD – Can you give me an update on what’s happening with the follow up to “The Last Hero” (2016) with regards to the writing as I know he has mentioned that it will be in 2019?

MYLES – Yeah, Mark (Tremonti, Alter Bridge guitarist) are in the process of stockpiling ideas for when we get together which is gonna be April of 2019. That’s when we flesh things out and develop the songs.

Mark and I like to be very prepared by the time we hook up as we are not one of those bands that just turn up with no ideas and work from scratch. By the time we get together with the rest of the guys, we’ve already got dozens and dozens of ideas to work with.
https://www.overdrive.ie/myles-kennedy- ... el-greedy/

I just hope that our worst fears are not realized when they do get together in Spring of next year and both Mark and Myles goes, "I got nothing." As much as I really love another AB album next year and keep that an album every three years mentality going, I would love it even better if AB really put the time in to get the best ideas out there and that this is an album they are truly proud of making. If it means pushing the release back to 2020, then so be it.

I know that bands make the majority of their income touring and they usually need new material to get the promotion for the tour out there. For AB touring in late 2019, they sorta have a free pass in 2019 and can do a headlining tour in both sides of the Atlantic, in their usual standards and venues, without needing to release a new album since it would mark 15 years since they started as a band. They could have the option to do a special set and incorporate tracks (the unsung tracks) from their 5 albums that rarely sees the light of day in terms of play and along with their usual staples (and they could also throw in a couple of teasers for what's to come for AB VI) and I think the tour would sell well.

A nice way to close off this chapter of AB 15 years in and start a new chapter and capping it with a new album and tour in 2020. Imo, I think that approach is an option that may work out well for them in terms of getting the best creative ideas that would suit Alter Bridge the most with suffering the burnout from their other outlets.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

My guess is that Slash will tour for the better part of January - March, take a break in April, and start back up again for the May - June festival runs. Wouldn’t surprise me if AB has to join back together around July to finish writing the album. If they finish writing the album sometime in April, then the other guys could track all of their parts while Myles is out touring. They’d just have to wait until Myles has another break to come back and track his vocals and guitar tracks.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

anguyen92 wrote: I just hope that our worst fears are not realized when they do get together in Spring of next year and both Mark and Myles goes, "I got nothing." As much as I really love another AB album next year and keep that an album every three years mentality going, I would love it even better if AB really put the time in to get the best ideas out there and that this is an album they are truly proud of making. If it means pushing the release back to 2020, then so be it.
Fortunately, I can't imagine they'd meet and neither of them would have any ideas. They are prolific writers and are always thinking and imagining and creating. A lack of ideas has never been the problem. I do hope they spend more time fleshing out the ideas rather than hurriedly putting a bunch of puzzle pieces together in an effort to finish a product. I agree with you 100% that I'm fine waiting until 2020 if it means they take those pieces as building blocks and then spend all the time they need to shape them into something special. But these guys are pros. I'm sure they'll look back on their last albums and know what to do.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Loudwire just posted a snippet of an interview with Myles saying that writing started today. They didn't elaborate. Either they are Skyping them, or just emailing files, I'd think.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I like to imagine that it's like the Requiem scene from Amadeus

Also woop!

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

One Drew Remains wrote:Loudwire just posted a snippet of an interview with Myles saying that writing started today. They didn't elaborate. Either they are Skyping them, or just emailing files, I'd think.
Woo.

MidnightToker
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MidnightToker »

Here's the interview quote from Myles about the writing process:
Robert Cavuoto: When we spoke in January, you said Alter Bridge would be getting together for a new CD in 2019. I that still the case and can you give us an update on its progress?

Myles Kennedy: That’s still the plan. In fact, after I finish with the press today, I’ll get back to writing. Mark Tremonti has been doing the same thing. We will reconvene in April and make a record. There are a whole bunch of ideas being thrown around, it’s pretty exciting stuff. There is too early to tell what the vibe is just yet or what will make the cut. Mark and I tend to come up with a lot of ideas that we throw up against the wall to see what will stick. The songs we pick will decide the mood of the record and we won’t know that until April.
So I guess if they're getting together in April, that would mean recording in May-June? And release in the fall of 2019, presumably.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

MidnightToker wrote:Here's the interview quote from Myles about the writing process:
Robert Cavuoto: When we spoke in January, you said Alter Bridge would be getting together for a new CD in 2019. I that still the case and can you give us an update on its progress?

Myles Kennedy: That’s still the plan. In fact, after I finish with the press today, I’ll get back to writing. Mark Tremonti has been doing the same thing. We will reconvene in April and make a record. There are a whole bunch of ideas being thrown around, it’s pretty exciting stuff. There is too early to tell what the vibe is just yet or what will make the cut. Mark and I tend to come up with a lot of ideas that we throw up against the wall to see what will stick. The songs we pick will decide the mood of the record and we won’t know that until April.
So I guess if they're getting together in April, that would mean recording in May-June? And release in the fall of 2019, presumably.
Myles is probably won't be recording in May and June. He's doing the festival run with Slash in June (already announced for Download and the rest of the big festivals in Europe). I'm also hearing rumors that they may do a long tour in South America in May. He may get everything done recording wise in April and if not, probably will finish everything on his end in July.