New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
nagpo
On The Rail

Re: New Slash/MK Album On The Way

Post by nagpo »

Crumbso wrote::headscratch You're trolling right? Effects yeah, plenty, too many. I don't think pitch correction is required with MK though. It's really not that hard to sing on pitch in the studio. If I can do it then anyone can.
Exactly. One has plenty of time to get the correct pitch while in studio. Unless, you have like five minutes or your voice is fucked and you just simply can't do it. But in my opinion if you can't sing it without using autotune and such, you shouldn't sing it at all. You'll never pull it off live anyway. Also, Most of the time you only ever have to sing it right once. Like the chorus for example, although it's repeated several times throughout the recording, the actual singer isn't resinging that all those times (in most cases). Usually they just copy and paste it.

psycosquirrel789
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by psycosquirrel789 »

I'm not trolling!! (besides the playful shot at Jaded Rescue lol.)

It is so bizarre to me that people cannot hear how the :40sec note and others so clearly edited. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It sounds so artificial and unnatural. How can you not hear that?!? Do you guys just not listen to live music? Using pitch correction is not an insult. Its done on purpose to get that perfect, polished clean sound. I'm not saying Myles can't sing. I'm saying the post production is sloppy.

Crumbso
On The Rail

Post by Crumbso »

I've heard what I think is pitch correction in AB songs before, one moment in Waters Rising comes to mind. I don't really hear it on this one though, certainly not the 0:40 part. It just sounds like a very "Myles" inflection to me, which can be quite angular sounding.

I know pitch correction is rife among modern producers (although personally I prefer imperfections and a more 70s production style) but I couldn't see there'd be any call for it here. Maybe the bridge though, there's a lot going on there. I could be wrong.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:If you think Myles isn't using TONS AND TONS AND TONS of vocal effects and pitch correction on his records - you are jaded, and I hope you are rescued.
Ahhhhhh hahahahahaha. That's great.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

psycosquirrel789 wrote:I'm not trolling!! (besides the playful shot at Jaded Rescue lol.)

It is so bizarre to me that people cannot hear how the :40sec note and others so clearly edited. It sticks out like a sore thumb. It sounds so artificial and unnatural. How can you not hear that?!? Do you guys just not listen to live music? Using pitch correction is not an insult. Its done on purpose to get that perfect, polished clean sound. I'm not saying Myles can't sing. I'm saying the post production is sloppy.
I agree with Crumbso. I've heard plenty of live music - I play live music myself. Again, I could sing the part at 0:40 just as Myles does. I'll record it on video if you want me to prove it, haha. I really think it's just the way he bends the note. I've heard this with other artists too. There's a song by Snow Patrol, if I remember correctly (though I'm blanking on which song), where I could swear it sounds like pitch correction but you can hear him do it live and it sounds identical. It's just the way some people sing sometimes. I really doubt Myles had any pitch correction done on this, and if the album was recorded to tape like we're expecting, then there definitely wasn't.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Jaded Rescue wrote:
psycosquirrel789 wrote:I'm not trolling!! (besides the playful shot at Jaded Rescue lol.)

I agree with Crumbso. I've heard plenty of live music - I play live music myself. Again, I could sing the part at 0:40 just as Myles does. I'll record it on video if you want me to prove it, haha. I really think it's just the way he bends the note. I've heard this with other artists too. There's a song by Snow Patrol, if I remember correctly (though I'm blanking on which song), where I could swear it sounds like pitch correction but you can hear him do it live and it sounds identical. It's just the way some people sing sometimes. I really doubt Myles had any pitch correction done on this, and if the album was recorded to tape like we're expecting, then there definitely wasn't.
Do it. sing the whole song.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

anguyen92 wrote:All right, finally heard the track on Spotify. It's not a bad track honestly. I wouldn't be surprised if this charted in at least Top 5 on Active Rock radio and I wouldn't mind hearing it on radio often. That stated........, after what Myles brought with Year of the Tiger and what we're going to hear in the Royal Albert Hall DVD, my expectations for the next Slash/Myles/Conspirators album is not great in comparison.

I don't know what it is that makes me not excited for this album. Maybe the fact that Slash basically decided to f*** off his stable solo band to rejoin GNR solely for the money with the band having no intentions to make a new album (I mean we got The Last Hero, a very long AB tour, and the Royal Albert Hall shows and DVD, but still) and now he can just waltz in and decided to go into solo mode at his whim which kinda throws a curve for the AB VI album cycle (now in all fairness, aside from Myles with his solo stuff and AB, Todd, Brent, and Frank doesn't really have a big project in the interim anyway so I'm sure they are looking forward to be in a big high-paying band again and they deserve it. They are solid players).

Also, nowadays, I'm really starting to do not enjoy that 80s "Rock n Roll" sort of music (and really digging non-rock stuff like Owl City and Lindsey Stirling) and I'm starting to see Slash as the epitome of everything I hate about those sorts of classic bands (again, that's just me and the way my mind works). Still, this is a great band, I'm sure they will deliver a solid album, but I rather see Myles keep going with his solo stuff and, of course, Alter Bridge (I need AB VI to pull all the stops and dare to be the best album they have ever created and I don't want anything to derail that).
All I will say is if Slash wants to tour with GNR to make money to fund his solo band, then that's fine. Especially since it's usually while Myles is with AB.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I just think I'm just sick and tired of the "Whatever Slash says goes" mentality.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

That's really only your interpretation..
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Yes, and that's just how I feel about the whole thing and I'm not liking this feeling at all.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

So Myles is allowed to have side projects and Slash isn't? He didn't tell the Conspirators to fuck off. Neither did Myles when he went off to record Fortress and The Last Hero. They are all reasonable adults, which is why they all keep making music together.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Well, I didn't say that my perception is of the sane kind or the rational kind or that it's right. Like I say, I don't like this feeling at all because as I stated, this is a good live band with good people, but my enthusiasm is not as high for various reasons for this band and that does frustrate me for various reasons. Again, all IMO.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

nagpo wrote:
Jaded Rescue wrote:

Do it. sing the whole song.
I didn't say I could sing the whole song. I can get through it, but not nearly as well as Myles would of course. If you really want to hear me do the part at 0:40 though, I'll be glad to record a video when I get a chance.

The thing that's cracking me up about people pulling this section apart is that Myles does all kinds of crazier stuff, live or in the studio, on a regular basis. Most decent singers I know could sing that part pretty easily. I'm not saying I'm some sort of vocal god that can replicate Myles - I can't, and that would be pretentious as hell for me to say. I'm just saying this section isn't so difficult to sing that any trained singer wouldn't be able to do it without pitch correction.

Disclaimer - If for some reason you were posting in jest, than I 100% apologize for my above rant. :lol

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I was half joking because I actually think it would be cool to hear TABN talent

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

nagpo wrote:I was half joking because I actually think it would be cool to hear TABN talent
https://open.spotify.com/track/0TY618cm ... tiUpflDeYg
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I tried signing up but the website won't work on two different browsers. I get to the page and press play but nothing happens.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

nagpo wrote:I tried signing up but the website won't work on two different browsers. I get to the page and press play but nothing happens.
I use it as a mobile app so I’m not sure how well that link works without the application downloaded. Just thought of a song that someone from here at TABN recorded.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Not sure if anyone posted them yet, but here are the song lengths of the album according to google, which seems to be right because Mind your manners length showed up on ITunes and says 3:37 (will probably the next single then) :

Call of the wild - 3:59
Serve your rights - 5:12
My antidote - 4:17
Mind your manners - 3:38
Lost inside the girl - 6:30
Read between the lines - 3:37
Slow Grind - 3:35
The one you loved is gone - 4:50
Driving rain - 4:10
Sugar cane - 3:09
The great pretender - 5:25
Blvd of broken hearts - 4:06

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Lost Inside the Girl is an awful title.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ It can't be any worst than Big Wreck's Head In The Girl. Good song though, not so great title.