More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
AnybodyListening.net
Brand New Start

More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Post by AnybodyListening.net »

I see a bunch of people pining for Mark to "sing more." To be honest, I don't think Mark should be singing lead on Alter Bridge songs. I am in favor of point-counterpoint vocal exchanges, and even more harmonies, but I do think that Myles should be the lead vocalist on all Alter Bridge tracks.

I know "Waters Rising" got some love, but to be frank, I felt the song was pretty weak. Mark's voice is good, and its a good lower register to harmonize with Myles. But unless it is something that has dynamics like the point-counterpoint style in "Words Darker Than Their Wings," I really don't want Mark singing lead vocals on AB tracks.

Don't get me wrong - I love the Tremonti band, and I enjoy listening Mark sing lead. I just think Alter Bridge's lead vocalist should be the primary voice we hear on the songs they release, with Mark's voice supporting it, not in the lead spot.

What are folks' opinions of Mark singing lead in AB, and why do you feel that way?

mikeyd23
TABN.com Citizen

Re: More Mark Lead Vocals, or just more harmonies?

Post by mikeyd23 »

I'm totally with you on this bud, but I expect many others here won't be.

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

I support Mark singing lead on the occasional AB track. If the song is good, like Waters Rising, it gives Myles a chance to catch his breath during the live act. Plus Mark sounds really good in studio, and it adds a whole new dimension to AB’s catalog if in future songs they can incorporate it well.

Blackbirddd
White Knuckled

Post by Blackbirddd »

I think Mark must be harmonizing always on AB songs, so we don't have to listen 3 Myles at the same time and live versions doesn't feel empty

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It's just adding another dynamic to the band, like giving Myles a guitar was, then giving him increasing numbers of lead parts. Mark's voice can get more aggressive, has a great tone to it that contrasts Myles, and he has a real talent for writing lyrics to go with it. I'd be against putting it in just to tick a box (like, "there's the single" or "there's the ballad"), but I'm pretty sure that they'd come up with interesting stuff. Like the bridge of Peace is Broken, I love that. It adds another dimension to be creative with.

I'd also been thinking recently - Ties that Bind with Mark doing the verses would sound bloody great.
For all of the hope that it brings...

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Ubik wrote:It's just adding another dynamic to the band, like giving Myles a guitar was, then giving him increasing numbers of lead parts. Mark's voice can get more aggressive, has a great tone to it that contrasts Myles, and he has a real talent for writing lyrics to go with it. I'd be against putting it in just to tick a box (like, "there's the single" or "there's the ballad"), but I'm pretty sure that they'd come up with interesting stuff. Like the bridge of Peace is Broken, I love that. It adds another dimension to be creative with.

I'd also been thinking recently - Ties that Bind with Mark doing the verses would sound bloody great.
It would probably sound awesome...but also be nearly impossible to sing while playing that verse part on guitar, I'd imagine, lol.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Just harmonies for me.
He has his own band, and to be perfectly honest, I don't think he's that good of a lead singer. He's definitely trying to improve, and I salute him for his efforts, but it still sounds average to me for the most part.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

no mark lead vocals. This is not Tremonti.

To be fair, he's been good on the few AB songs he's song. I just don't want this to be 50/50 mark and myles vocally.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

More lead vocals, co-lead vocals, and harmonies!

- Only have Mark do the harmonies under Myles, Only have Myles do the harmonies under Mark/ No self-harmonizing
- Have 2 song with sole lead vocals from Mark (no Myles feature like in Waters Rising)
- Have 4 songs with Mark and Myles trading off like in WDTTW (2 aggressive and 2 ballad)
- Have 1 song with a Mark feature like the Peace Is Broken bridge
- Myles still gets to sing sole lead vocals on like 7 songs.

Myles Only: 7
Myles and Mark 50/50: 4
Mark Only: 2
Myles ft. Mark: 1

1. Myles lead
2. Myles lead
3. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
4. Mark lead (heavy)
5. Myles lead (ballad)
6. Myles ft. Mark
7. Myles & Mark 50/50 (ballad)
8. Myles lead
9. Mark lead (ballad)
10. Myles lead
11. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
12. Myles lead
13. Myles lead
14. Myles & Mark 50/50 (epic atmospheric closer)

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:More lead vocals, co-lead vocals, and harmonies!

- Only have Mark do the harmonies under Myles, Only have Myles do the harmonies under Mark/ No self-harmonizing
- Have 2 song with sole lead vocals from Mark (no Myles feature like in Waters Rising)
- Have 4 songs with Mark and Myles trading off like in WDTTW (2 aggressive and 2 ballad)
- Have 1 song with a Mark feature like the Peace Is Broken bridge
- Myles still gets to sing sole lead vocals on like 7 songs.

Myles Only: 7
Myles and Mark 50/50: 4
Mark Only: 2
Myles ft. Mark: 1

1. Myles lead
2. Myles lead
3. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
4. Mark lead (heavy)
5. Myles lead (ballad)
6. Myles ft. Mark
7. Myles & Mark 50/50 (ballad)
8. Myles lead
9. Mark lead (ballad)
10. Myles lead
11. Myles & Mark 50/50 (heavy)
12. Myles lead
13. Myles lead
14. Myles & Mark 50/50 (epic atmospheric closer)
So extra :lol

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

AB4Lyfe wrote:So extra :lol
I'm just being thorough :lol That would be like my perfect AB album :lol :/

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I just wanna hear Myles sing all the time with Mark doing the harmonies instead of Myles overdubs. I like putting Mark out in front on occasion in songs like Before Tomorrow Comes where his backing vocals are pretty prominent, but that’s my favorite use of his voice in AB.

I love Words, never was a huge fan of Waters Rising. I’m fine with him having some prominent backing vocals from time to time, but I don’t really need to hear Mark sing any lead on every AB album.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

SHEAKENBAKEN wrote:Only have Mark do the harmonies under Myles, No self-harmonizing
A very good point.
I hope they realize it was a bad idea to have Myles self-harmonize.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Hmm, it seems like Andy92 pre-plagiarized my post! He posted what I did before I even had a chance to! :lol
Andy92 wrote:I just wanna hear Myles sing all the time with Mark doing the harmonies instead of Myles overdubs. I like putting Mark out in front on occasion in songs like Before Tomorrow Comes where his backing vocals are pretty prominent, but that’s my favorite use of his voice in AB.

I love Words, never was a huge fan of Waters Rising. I’m fine with him having some prominent backing vocals from time to time, but I don’t really need to hear Mark sing any lead on every AB album.
Since Tremonti has gone solo with albums, it just seems like they're trying to front him a lot more. I don't think this band was ever about headlining individuals; just keep it as a band would be (one lead singer please) and things would be better off. Words was a nice little exception where he has some lines, but we don't need a quota of giving him a song and this and that. Just write what comes most naturally and works best. Every time Mark gets to play Waters Rising live, I kind of say: "Aww, how cute he has his own little song." Never really liked it.

As far as BTC, I like the song a lot more than others here seem to (I think many here feel it's overplayed live or just overrated), but ever since hearing how they adjusted the final chorus where Mark wah-wahs as Myles is singing, I kind of wish they would remix the song so they fall at that point and not after he sings. I wouldn't even mind the wah-wahs not being in the song up until the final chorus as well, which is a way I've heard it live.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Myles self-harmonising resulted in the most godly music in the band's catalogue. Hook that shit right to my veins.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Andy92 wrote:I just wanna hear Myles sing all the time with Mark doing the harmonies instead of Myles overdubs. I like putting Mark out in front on occasion in songs like Before Tomorrow Comes where his backing vocals are pretty prominent, but that’s my favorite use of his voice in AB.
Exactly correct.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Greg backed me up. All y’all’s different opinions are void now.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

LosingPatience
White Knuckled

Post by LosingPatience »

Ubik wrote:Myles self-harmonising resulted in the most godly music in the band's catalogue. Hook that shit right to my veins.

Agreed Myles harmonies going under appreciated for those big highs [ which rock all the same ] reminds me of EVH on guitar.EVH is a killer rhythm player but is mostly appreciated for his solo's [ his solo on Michael Jackson's Beat It a personal fav}

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Depends on the song, I think Myles harmonizing with himself can sound carnival-ish, and that's not a good thing.

For instance, I like the song Outright, but man I could do without him harmonizing in the chorus. He's straight clowning in it. "HAHAND WAHAHAN LAHAHAST THEEHEEHEEHEEHEENG..." plus the up-up-down falsetto thing his harmonies are doing there. Maybe just maybe I would have appreciated it more if he only didn't harmonize with himself in the first chorus, and then it escalated in the other choruses... but no, I don't like it there otherwise.

This also goes for the beginning of the vocals in Cry of Achilles. It's the only part of the song I don't care for. It sounds fine when he does it in other parts of the song because it's more subtle, but in the times where he's just overriding the main parts is too much for me. I realize this may be uncommon as sin.

Plus, you can't ever possibly hear that in concert. Mark harmonizing in concert is possible, though.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

There's no reason why Mark couldn't have done one of the harmonies in the intro of Cry of Achilles. Would've sounded so much better, especially live.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.