The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

A place for all Creed discussion.
chtimixeur
On The Rail

Re: The Official SCOTT STAPP Thread

Post by chtimixeur »

My fear is that it's going to be Proof of Life 2.0.
If the sessions are close to being done, I think we'll hear the album in October or November.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

I hope it sounds more like TGD if anything, but a new fresh sound might be best for him. But I share chtimixeur's fears.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Gotta give Scott props, he's sounding really good these days. He'll never sound like he did in the late 90's but he's staying in relatively good pitch and has better control of his voice. Just makes me sad we didn't get this version of Scott during the Creed reunion.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

He sounds great imo

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

He's sounding great indeed.
Let's all remember the 2009 and 2010 tours for a second... Never in a million years would anyone have thought his voice would sound good again.
I know people like bashing him and his band, but I give them kudos for keeping the Creed name alive and for giving joy to the often forgotten Creed fans.

Look at 0:50.
The way he moves on stage for a few seconds is kinda reminiscent of the 1997-2000 days.

Vocally, this is also very promising for the next solo album.

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

I saw him on the Proof of Life tour in Toronto and he sounded good then .
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

So, we'll hear kids singing on a new Stapp song...
I can't say I'm remotely excited to hear this.

Isn't that his daughter on the right?

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

yes, I think it's his son in the second next to his daughter and just his his daughter in the others along with several other children.

Finaldecision
White Knuckled

Post by Finaldecision »

I'm not very excited about this choir thing, but he looks very healthy.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

I remain optimistic. At least there might be good vocals on this record now!
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

There was a kids choir on Don't Stop Dancing back in the day, and that one came out pretty awesome. Hopefully this follows suit.

Can anyone tell me just how much of his live shows are Creed songs and how much are his own solo work? I feel like for someone who was such a prolific songwriter with Creed, he should have no problem getting new material out and stop using Creed as a crutch.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

TenaciousBe wrote:There was a kids choir on Don't Stop Dancing back in the day, and that one came out pretty awesome. Hopefully this follows suit.
Where? At least not on the studio version. Don't Stop Dancing is the most cheesy Creed song either way.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

https://www.setlist.fm/setlists/scott-s ... 6d1d8.html

He usually plays one solo song, and the 10 or 13 other songs are from the Creed catalogue.
It doesn't bother me, since he's doing the songs justice, and a Creed reunion is more unlikely than ever. If the remaining Creed fans are happy at the end of the show, it's all that matters.

JaredWard
Blood Machines

Post by JaredWard »

Hard to believe he only plays one solo song. lol I understand Creed is his bread and butter but he should mix it up more.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

Mr. Slash wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:There was a kids choir on Don't Stop Dancing back in the day, and that one came out pretty awesome. Hopefully this follows suit.
Where? At least not on the studio version. Don't Stop Dancing is the most cheesy Creed song either way.
Don't Stop Dancing is one of the very few Creed songs that I skip every single time. Just not a good song at all, IMO.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Isn’t that the song his sister sang on? Been a while since I listened to it, but I thought there were female vocals.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don%27t_Stop_Dancing - "The song features Scott Stapp's sister Aimee Stapp on backup vocals and the Tallahassee Boys' Choir singing a background chorus." I haven't listened to the album version in so long, I'd have to go back and give it a listen and see if I can hear the choir in there. But I always heard that they were in the recording. And yep, his sister is on it. I thought there was talk back in the day that Faith Hill was supposed to do that part, but she had to back out for whatever reason and Aimee stepped in to do it.

I disagree about it being one of their worst songs, though. Always thought it to be one of the standouts of that album, actually. Everyone has different tastes though! :)

Man... that's so lame though, that he only does one solo song. I mean... to relate from my own experience, I used to be in a band with a buddy and we made a great team at writing songs - not that they were particularly good, but we got a lot of material out - and when that band fell apart and I went off on my own to do solo stuff, it's taken me years to get enough songs together even for a debut album. But I'm a weekend warrior who plays a show or two at coffee shops on weekends, and Stapp is supposed to be a professional. Maybe he needs new bandmates and writing partners? Or maybe he's just happy coasting on the Creed name and songs for the rest of his life.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I've already said this, but I think he's humble enough to realize no one cares about a Stapp solo show.
The Creed audience has shrinked drastically over the years, and he went from playing in front of packed arenas to small clubs with a few hundreds of people.
My guess is that ke knows the only way he's going to make a buck as a middle-aged singer with a bad reputation in the music business is by playing the Creed hits until he retires. He may be sick of playing those songs, but he has to if he wants to put food on his family's table, and we all know his Creed money is long gone (his son even went on to say he was "getting sued for more than his net worth", when the Art of Anarchy brothers sued him for 1.2 million dollars).

In retrospect, he should have toured his ass off just after Creed's first break-up to establish himself as a solo artist, and just like Mark, he should have refused to play any Creed song from the get go. He's been branding himself as "the voice of Creed" instead of "Scott Stapp the solo artist" for years, and it would be really hard to reverse things these days. If he were to play solo stuff only, Creed fans would be fooled once, and would probably not come back the next time he's coming to town.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

^^ Agreed, but I think he could balance it out a bit better. Just like a cover band that plays originals - lure the people in with the Creed songs, and pepper in a few new originals here and there. If the songs are good, the people will notice and remember, maybe buy a CD on the way out to get to listen to "that one song that he played" that the person really liked. But, like Dave Grohl said, "you gotta be badass." And maybe his solo stuff just isn't so badass.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Who's genuinely badass or angry at 45?
Stapp has always had mellower influences than Mark's, and the balance of the two made the Creed sound.
Whether they like it or not, these guys were born to write music together.