Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
UninvitedZero
Isolated

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by UninvitedZero »

This album is damn good! I liked the singles, but the gems had definitely been tucked away. Traipse has got to be a favorite. Interesting lyrics over that eerie sounding finger picking and it just builds and builds. As far as production goes, after one spin through, I've got no gripes against Elvis this go round. It sounds killer. The First The Last is beautifully written. Like said earlier, almost sounding like Mark wanted to tackle a Creed outtake. Make It Hurt is also an early favorite. Beastly. This album will be getting played pretty regularly for a while (along with the new Ghost record!) Bring on the novel!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Interesting how much the opinions diverge when it comes to particular songs. And yet everyone seems to really enjoy the new album. :D

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

The bridge to A Lot Like Sin...damn that’s a fine groove. Really curious to see how well it translates live.

Side note: almost two weeks until any shows? Long time to wait for some vids.

DeadCell
Come To Life

Post by DeadCell »

Dammit. Rather than paying the shipping fees for the Wal-Mart exclusive, I took a risk and came to pick it up at my local store. Of course they don’t have it, because they aren’t Best Buy/FYE/some other music store. All Wal-Mart carries are classics (Michael Jackson, Skynyrd, etc), country music, and today’s “hit” music.

Just checked online, sold out... perfect.

I’m offering $5 (via Paypal) to whoever wouldn’t mind sharing the bonus tracks.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

What are your guys' Interpretation of the story so far? Has anyone started to figure out the story timeline from the album at all? Or which songs are from the perspective of the Vessels or Humans?

Im most likely wrong on a lot of these, but this is what I think so far for the perspectives; Maybe I have a bias towards the Vessels because I feel like alot of the album is from their POV :lol I'm sure with more opinions my perspective on some songs could change though! :headscratch

The Vessels: Make It Hurt, Traipse, Desolation, Found, As The Silence Becomes Me, The First The Last, The Day When Legions Burned, A Lot Like Sin, Take You With Me,

Humans: From The Sky, Bringer of War, Throw Them To The Lions, Trust

Mixed: A Dying Machine

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

WaywardOne wrote:
sam1oq wrote:Just listened to Bringer of War. My first impression is: excellent riffs and solos but the chorus is pretty bland and the song structure is the same as always, but that's to be expected by now. Why does he always insist on those open chord, sing along choruses like this? It feels completely out of place with the time of music he's going for. You have a thrash metal song with an almost Three Days Grace chorus, who thought that was a good idea?
Because that's never been the kind of music he writes. He's not a classic metal artist - they play all heavy all the time. Heaviness for the sake of heaviness. Mark loves heavy, but he loves melody and combines the two to make it more dynamic. If he just played a heavy riff after heavy riff it wouldn't sound as good because there would be no contrast to make it stand out.
Sorry replying waaayyy too late, but I disagree nonetheless. There's plenty of ways to keep the metal while still being melodic. Have you not heard Iron Maiden or power metal? You can play a melodic riff during the chorus. Tremonti just needs to keep his pop sensibilities in there. I enjoy his work, but imo it'd be a lot better if he ditched those big open chord choruses.

VigilantSteve
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by VigilantSteve »

sam1oq wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:
sam1oq wrote:Just listened to Bringer of War. My first impression is: excellent riffs and solos but the chorus is pretty bland and the song structure is the same as always, but that's to be expected by now. Why does he always insist on those open chord, sing along choruses like this? It feels completely out of place with the time of music he's going for. You have a thrash metal song with an almost Three Days Grace chorus, who thought that was a good idea?
Because that's never been the kind of music he writes. He's not a classic metal artist - they play all heavy all the time. Heaviness for the sake of heaviness. Mark loves heavy, but he loves melody and combines the two to make it more dynamic. If he just played a heavy riff after heavy riff it wouldn't sound as good because there would be no contrast to make it stand out.
Sorry replying waaayyy too late, but I disagree nonetheless. There's plenty of ways to keep the metal while still being melodic. Have you not heard Iron Maiden or power metal? You can play a melodic riff during the chorus. Tremonti just needs to keep his pop sensibilities in there. I enjoy his work, but imo it'd be a lot better if he ditched those big open chord choruses.
Sorry, but I hope Mark never goes full "Iron Maiden" in his song writing. Leave that to Iron Maiden. Part of Mark's songwriting style has always been the big open chord choruses, and overall I prefer it that way.

Mullet151
Brand New Start

Post by Mullet151 »

Well after a few listens I definitely enjoy the album. I was worried after a couple listens it was gonna feel like Cauterize where I only liked 3-4 songs for months. Its definitely not better than AIW but might be ahead of dust for me. Kind of hard to compare those two though.

Few early favorites. Legions is absolutely my favorite track and is probably in my top 5 tremonti tracks all time. I just wish it was a minute and a half longer. Make it Hurt and from the sky are up there and the sneaky one really growing on me is desolation. Least favorite track is easily found (we calling that a track? should just be outro). It is a very solid album though and does not have to many weaknesses. :mtrocks

scarecrow
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by scarecrow »

Does anyone know if this is available in Walmart stores?? The website says no.

Tremonti871412
Brand New Start

Post by Tremonti871412 »

UninvitedZero wrote:This album is damn good! I liked the singles, but the gems had definitely been tucked away. Traipse has got to be a favorite. Interesting lyrics over that eerie sounding finger picking and it just builds and builds. As far as production goes, after one spin through, I've got no gripes against Elvis this go round. It sounds killer. The First The Last is beautifully written. Like said earlier, almost sounding like Mark wanted to tackle a Creed outtake. Make It Hurt is also an early favorite. Beastly. This album will be getting played pretty regularly for a while (along with the new Ghost record!) Bring on the novel!

I agree with 100% of everything you said, including the Ghost album. It really does sound like Tremonti doing Creed but not in a bad way. It really doesnt even sound like Creed, it just has that sort of arena, clean, mainstream rock sound to it. Mark has gotten way more confident in his voice (as he should) and hes using it alot more, so that sort of makes a similarity with creed as well.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Now I'm curious about how the album will do in the charts. Probably not that great.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Mr. Slash wrote:Now I'm curious about how the album will do in the charts. Probably not that great.
Last I saw, #6 in the overall US charts and #3 in Rock. Think I saw it at #1 in the UK Rock chart, could be wrong though
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Troops4Tremonti
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Troops4Tremonti »

A very solid album. I think I've said this before, but if an artist puts an album out that has 3 or 4 songs I'll come back to then I think, in 2018, it's a success. As always, another album with Mark's writing that has at least half the album I'll come back to.

The middle part of the album is money. Throw Them To The Lions, Make It Hurt, and Traipse are a killer 1-2-3 punch.

My early opinion is that this is the best vocal album he's ever done (the verses in TTTTL!) I think this album is better than Dust and maybe AIW. Cauterize (at this point) is the Human Clay of his solo band - really hard to beat.

I've ranked all of his songs and turned that into album rankings. Maybe I'll post more on that, but here is the rankings I came up with:

1: Worst; 10: Best

5: I didn't like a single part. I can see how others would like it though and I appreciate the composition.
6: I liked a fractional amount. Not enough to come back to.
7: I like several parts. I'll come back to once in awhile.
8: A solid song.
9: A great song.
10: Legendary. I will often listen from beginning to end in complete enjoyment.

Bringer of War 8
From the Sky 8
A Dying Machine 10
Trust 8
Throw Them to the Lions 10
Make It Hurt 10
Traipse 9
The First the Last 7
A Lot Like Sin 7
The Day When Legions Burned 8
As the Silence Becomes Me 6
Take You With Me 8
Desolation 8
Found 7

All I Was: 83%
Cauterize: 88%
Dust: 79%
A Dying Machine: 81%

Formula: Add the total of all the songs (114) then divide by the number of songs (14). Round and move the decimal place to the right to create a percentage.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

There's a lot of Sevendust influence here. Weird that hasn't happened before but Elvis just did their new album for the first time and there has to be a direct link to that. The effects-laden intros just scream 7D - not necessarily a bad thing I guess? If any of you listened to All I See Is War though you'll notice it has those horrific beeps from The Last Hero, so the influence goes both ways.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

WaywardOne wrote: not necessarily a bad thing I guess?
Well, these kinds of intros always remind me of outdated NuMetal/Alternative Metal music. So I would consider it a "bad thing"

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:
WaywardOne wrote: not necessarily a bad thing I guess?
Well, these kinds of intros always remind me of outdated NuMetal/Alternative Metal music. So I would consider it a "bad thing"
Yeah, but Sevendust was considered one of the better bands from that period and both Sevendust and Tremonti are good friends. I did notice that Trust had an intro that would not look out of place in a Sevendust song (who also has a song titled Trust).

I will still state that a Sevendust and Tremonti or AB tour on any side of the Atlantic would do good business.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Shout out to "For what may never come".
For all of the hope that it brings...

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

New acoustic stuff tomorrow 3 pm EST on Octane. (21.00 CEST time for the European fellows wondering)
https://twitter.com/TremontiProject/sta ... 8277942272

Dan Dando
On The Rail

Post by Dan Dando »

I've got a gigantic soft spot for Trust :)

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Dan Dando wrote:I've got a gigantic soft spot for Trust :)
SAME! Damn that song is good, may be my favorite on the record.