Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

All are welcome at our free clinic for those whose faces have been melted. \m/
austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Re: Tremonti pt #4 - A Dying Machine

Post by austinjhnsn »

These definitely still sound like Tremonti riffs. I think he might just be changing it up tuning-wise to spice things up since basically everything before was drop tuned, or maybe he just felt inspired in E standard. Could be because his voice is more comfortable in a higher-ish register, too.

All in all, you dont need to tune low to be metal!
Thanks Timo!

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

WaywardOne wrote:Anyone else hearing Megadeth in this song??
Yup.
I'm hearing glimpses of the 1986-1990 Megadeth era once the song kicks in after 30 seconds and also during the solo, especially when he's hitting those high notes at 3:35.
Also, the drumming at the beginning sounds a lot like Ravel's Bolero.
The chorus feels completely out of place, though.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

chtimixeur wrote:The chorus feels completely out of place, though.
Seems to be part of his sound. Such a shame.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I'm genuinely wondering why he insists on including poppy choruses in every song he writes, since two or three tunes at best will get some radio airplay. I know he likes melodies, but why force it when it obviously doesn't fit with the rest of the song?

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

chtimixeur wrote: Also, the drumming at the beginning sounds a lot like Ravel's Bolero.
well, maybe. That drum pattern is pretty common.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

By the way, once the Megadeth influenced solo kicks in, we can see multiple nuclear mushrooms.
If you didn't know, Megadeth's name was inspired by the term megadeath. Here's its definition:
Megadeath (or megacorpse) is a term for one million human deaths, usually caused by a nuclear explosion.

Also, this was the artwork used for their Greatest Hits album:

IMHO, this can't be a coincidence.

mitch103
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by mitch103 »

It's interesting people assume he's going away from the low tuned riffs when he just released a signature baritone guitar and claimed it will be all over this record. In fact, based off the live videos of the title track, that looks exactly like the baritone guitar he was showing off in some of the promotion videos: that orange tiger stripe.

Based off of the live videos, watching where his hands are on the neck and the chords hes playing, I'm positive A Dying Machine is played in B standard. For those who don't play guitar, that's VERY low. Like slipknot low.

I love that he's trying new styles.. the guy almost cant write a bad song. He talks about always learning new styles and licks. Lately he's been getting into the double stoppy-countryish licks. I think bringer of war is an example of him taking some new techniques he's learned on the guitar and incorporating them to his more trashy style.

Also, my favorite part of bringer of war is the chorus. Its an awesomely unique chord progression + melody and I feel it fits just fine in the scope of the song.

Heavy riffs and huge melodic choruses all the way baby! \m/^_^\m/

P.S. For those interested, here are the chords for the chorus as stated earlier in B standard tuning: 224xxx 335xxx 355xxx 8810xxx 779xxx 557xxx
That's just the heavy part. When he's singing the pre chorus part ("Look at you now...") the first two chords are x24xxx x35xxx, rather than the heavier sounding inverted power chord versions during the full on heavy part that follows.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

chtimixeur wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:Anyone else hearing Megadeth in this song??
Yup.
I'm hearing glimpses of the 1986-1990 Megadeth era once the song kicks in after 30 seconds and also during the solo, especially when he's hitting those high notes at 3:35.
Also, the drumming at the beginning sounds a lot like Ravel's Bolero.
The chorus feels completely out of place, though.
Yes, the solo is what really cemented that thought for me! And if we're sticking to the Megadeth comparison, then yes the chorus is out of place. But personally I love the chorus and that's what makes it Tremonti and not some thrash band.

JPSCHULZ82
Brand New Start

Post by JPSCHULZ82 »

I love most of what Mark produces but believe some of his songs are so-so and a few completely forgettable. First and Last is going to be one of the forgettable ones for me. Right up there with Dark Trip and Flying Monkeys. Bringer of War is great live.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

JPSCHULZ82 wrote:I love most of what Mark produces but believe some of his songs are so-so and a few completely forgettable. First and Last is going to be one of the forgettable ones for me. Right up there with Dark Trip and Flying Monkeys. Bringer of War is great live.
Oh noes. Don't make "A Dying Machine" a "The Last Hero" 2.0. :(

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Dark Trip and Flying Monkeys are two of my favourite Tremonti songs, so this is good news!
For all of the hope that it brings...

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Flying Monkeys is a classic example of puzzlelike type of songwriting.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Dolo wrote:Flying Monkeys is a classic example of puzzlelike type of songwriting.
One of the few songs where he does it right. Besides the bridge the groove stays the same throughout most of the song.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

Timotheus wrote:
Dolo wrote:Flying Monkeys is a classic example of puzzlelike type of songwriting.
One of the few songs where he does it right. Besides the bridge the groove stays the same throughout most of the song.
Well, I beg to differ. The groove itself is very bland imo, I'm not surprised it never clicked in AB. All those key changes sound very out of place and so does the clean/breakdown part.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by fix »

I’m with Timo here. Not that I like the song a lot, but it does fit nicely tbh.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

Bringer of War is 100% about Android Khaleesi.
For all of the hope that it brings...

sam1oq
Brand New Start

Post by sam1oq »

Just listened to Bringer of War. My first impression is: excellent riffs and solos but the chorus is pretty bland and the song structure is the same as always, but that's to be expected by now. Why does he always insist on those open chord, sing along choruses like this? It feels completely out of place with the time of music he's going for. You have a thrash metal song with an almost Three Days Grace chorus, who thought that was a good idea?

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

sam1oq wrote:Just listened to Bringer of War. My first impression is: excellent riffs and solos but the chorus is pretty bland and the song structure is the same as always, but that's to be expected by now. Why does he always insist on those open chord, sing along choruses like this? It feels completely out of place with the time of music he's going for. You have a thrash metal song with an almost Three Days Grace chorus, who thought that was a good idea?
Because that's never been the kind of music he writes. He's not a classic metal artist - they play all heavy all the time. Heaviness for the sake of heaviness. Mark loves heavy, but he loves melody and combines the two to make it more dynamic. If he just played a heavy riff after heavy riff it wouldn't sound as good because there would be no contrast to make it stand out.

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

I dont see what the issue with the chorus is. I think it goes along well with the rest of the song even if it isnt as thrashy and heavy. It isnt even necessarily “poppy” like some of you have said, its just a cool melody. To each his own I guess, I just think this has been Marks style for a while and it should really come as no surprise.
Thanks Timo!

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

austinjhnsn wrote:I dont see what the issue with the chorus is. I think it goes along well with the rest of the song even if it isnt as thrashy and heavy. It isnt even necessarily “poppy” like some of you have said, its just a cool melody. To each his own I guess, I just think this has been Marks style for a while and it should really come as no surprise.
:yeahthat :mtrocks