The Movie Thread

Talk about anything and everything here.
TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote:I avoided this thread until I could see the movie myself.

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I totally agree with FishTacos above, too. StarLord, you prick.

I'm hoping that retrieving the time stone can do for many what it let Thanos do with Vision. Is that too much to ask? Is that too obvious? When's the next movie?

Does anyone feel any sympathy for Thanos? While his methods are an atrocity, are his motives really that? I found myself not hating him at times and kind of understanding his position.
Saw it on Sunday. Totally feel for Thanos, and much of the time I was sitting there thinking "...is he really the villain?" He makes a good point, albeit in a Hitler-y way.

Also not really seeing the intense hatred/blame on StarLord. People acting like he's the only reason Thanos got power, when there were 5 other stones out there that other people didn't protect either. I may need a re-watch to wrap my head around it.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote:

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I'm hoping that retrieving the time stone can do for many what it let Thanos do with Vision. Is that too much to ask? Is that too obvious? When's the next movie?

Does anyone feel any sympathy for Thanos? While his methods are an atrocity, are his motives really that? I found myself not hating him at times and kind of understanding his position.
Saw it on Sunday. Totally feel for Thanos, and much of the time I was sitting there thinking "...is he really the villain?" He makes a good point, albeit in a Hitler-y way.

Also not really seeing the intense hatred/blame on StarLord. People acting like he's the only reason Thanos got power, when there were 5 other stones out there that other people didn't protect either. I may need a re-watch to wrap my head around it.
I know you didn't mean it literally, but your comment brings up an interesting point to me. I wouldn't call Thanos's actions "Hitler-y" simply because he said ahead of time he was going to act in a completely random way. Had he based every individual's fate by any parameter like wealth or morality or age or Creed fandom or intelligence, then he becomes the biased totalitarian and it introduces a degree of subjectivity which makes an already brutal move worse. Thanos makes fate as fair as possible. Similar actions by history's worst villains like Hitler and Stalin and Mao that are based on hate and greed and insanity or power are not comparable, and it's part of what makes Thanos somewhat sympathetic to me.

One caveat...I do wonder if Thanos himself was subject to his random cull. If he spared himself from the decision everyone else faced, ignore what I just wrote.

My anger at Star Lord is because his failure was based on a weakness of character, a moment of selfishness. The others were just failed despite their best and sincere efforts.

I think it's pretty cool that we can get into some rather legitimate philosophical debates over a comic book movie. That's a good dynamic. I don't care about some of the plot flaws that purists can pull out. It's hard to make an airtight narrative. I enjoy and appreciate the thought and questions the movie raises.
Another photobucket casualty... :(
As your courage crashes down before your eyes, don't lay down and die

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

gbruin wrote:
TenaciousBe wrote:

Yeah. Wow. MF'in wow.

I know you didn't mean it literally, but your comment brings up an interesting point to me. I wouldn't call Thanos's actions "Hitler-y" simply because he said ahead of time he was going to act in a completely random way. Had he based every individual's fate by any parameter like wealth or morality or age or Creed fandom or intelligence, then he becomes the biased totalitarian and it introduces a degree of subjectivity which makes an already brutal move worse. Thanos makes fate as fair as possible. Similar actions by history's worst villains like Hitler and Stalin and Mao that are based on hate and greed and insanity or power are not comparable, and it's part of what makes Thanos somewhat sympathetic to me.

One caveat...I do wonder if Thanos himself was subject to his random cull. If he spared himself from the decision everyone else faced, ignore what I just wrote.

My anger at Star Lord is because his failure was based on a weakness of character, a moment of selfishness. The others were just failed despite their best and sincere efforts.

I think it's pretty cool that we can get into some rather legitimate philosophical debates over a comic book movie. That's a good dynamic. I don't care about some of the plot flaws that purists can pull out. It's hard to make an airtight narrative. I enjoy and appreciate the thought and questions the movie raises.
Yeah, so "Hiter-y" wasn't the best way to say it, but by that, I meant that he thinks he can decide for everybody else what's best for the world. Who put him in charge to make that decision? Especially when that decision is to delete half of the world from existence?

I appreciate the philosophy as well. I poo-poo'd all the "comic book movies" for years because "hurr durr big budget hollywood blockbuster bullshit," but once I started watching the MCU movies, damn. They've done a really good job of developing characters over the past decade+ and it all pays off once they all get to come together in these Avengers movies. I wish the DC movies were as good at figuring out their characters and actually doing meaningful things with them.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

It was okay, but was expecting a little more after the rave reviews from fans. The supposed big consequences look far from permanent.

Will say that Spider-Man is the best thing about the MCU.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

TenaciousBe wrote:
Yeah, so "Hiter-y" wasn't the best way to say it, but by that, I meant that he thinks he can decide for everybody else what's best for the world. Who put him in charge to make that decision? Especially when that decision is to delete half of the world from existence?
Show Me A Leader!! :rockon :lol

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I'll say this about the Star-Lord bit - I liked it because it was one of the few moments in the film where the emotion behind it felt real and human (the other successful moments being Quill and Gamorra again, and Iron Man with Spidey as he went to dust). It was clumsily executed but I appreciated the intent and the fact it actually built as an arc. Gimme that over the emotional void that is the Scarlet Witch/Vision thing any day.
For all of the hope that it brings...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Parents with 2 busy teens share more emotion, which is almost none

Post by gbruin »

I def agree with you on that last part. I also get it's tough to devote a lot of individual personal/emotional time into a movie with 20 main characters. But those two, yeah, just...meh.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Is anyone else talking about how Nova Corps are a bunch of chumps for letting an empty-gauntlet Thanos get the first stone from them before the movie even begins?
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Will they get a role in the next Avengers or are they DC?

Post by gbruin »

Heading out to see The Incredibles 2 in a moment...

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

And...it was typically predictable, reasonably funny (though not as much as the first), and pretty entertaining.

I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called I Am Bolt. Very cool. Usain is an amazing athlete.

Even better is a documentary on Netflix called Hired Gun which looks into the studio musician/touring musician industry. Really really cool show, but it's a cutthroat industry. Lots of familiar faces, some phenomenal musicians, and some pretty heartbreaking stories.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Anyone else seen Ant-Man and the Wasp? I thought it was good/funny. About on par with the first one imo. Evangeline Lilly killed it, and she really did earn having her characer’s namesake in the title.

I won’t mention any spoilers since it just came out.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

Andy92 wrote:Anyone else seen Ant-Man and the Wasp? I thought it was good/funny. About on par with the first one imo. Evangeline Lilly killed it, and she really did earn having her characer’s namesake in the title.

I won’t mention any spoilers since it just came out.
It was a fun MCU movie for sure, I liked it as much as the first one. Not a top 5 Marvel movie by any stretch, but definitely a great time. And I completely agree. Evangeline was amazing, complete scene-stealer
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I thought the light-heartedness of the film was a refreshing change after the more serious overtones of Black Panther and Infinity War.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by MuffinMcFluffin »

Didn't know this thread existed. I feel like I should only pop in to chime in on movies that I doubt anyone has yet to see.

A couple of weeks ago I saw the film Searching. It will release in theaters on August 3rd.

John Cho brilliantly portrays a broken father acting desperately to find his missing daughter through use of phone and computer, with law enforcement's aid at his disposal. Missing person films can have stories that range from straightforward to conspiracy-laden, from kidnappings to runaways, from found alive to found deceased to never found at all... and director/co-writer Aneesh Chaganty gives you reason to believe that any of these possibilities could be true, all whilst keeping extremely grounded.

This screencasting form of the found footage genre becomes a beautiful storytelling device that captures today's use of technology, the internet, and social media in a thematic manner. Given this innovative format, it stylistically contains one of the best movie openings I have seen in a long time, and very early on taps into every emotion you will feel in this drama/mystery (that contains naturally suspenseful and thrilling elements throughout its narrative).

It is a smartly crafted and woven film that permits your eyes to wander the screen as you create an inaudible dialogue between Cho's character and the computer/phone screen that he engages with. Work hard enough and you can also seek clues to the film's final outcome, which are apparent with enough detective analysis as you are exposed to items for the first time concurrently with him. You will find yourself comfortably navigating files, e-mails and websites with our protagonist as this is already an everyday occurrence of ours, and this kind of relatability goes a long way toward appreciating what the statistical minority will otherwise call a cheap gimmick.

This is a groundbreaking achievement in filmmaking by Chaganty that should be acknowledged for doing it well and the right way. Given the high I am still on upon leaving the theater that day, it temporarily stands as my favorite movie I have seen this year so far.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My full review is on IMDb. It is spoiler-free. https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4218391/?ref_=tt_urv

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Unfriended: Dark Web

Despite a lackluster first entry in what may now become an anthology series, Dark Web self-corrects a lot of what was wrong with the original, and turns a gimmicky supernatural teeny-bopper horror flick into a moderately-earthly and entertaining suspense thriller.

Gone are the laughable and unlikable characters that you just can't wait to be picked off one at a time, adios to a senseless story that only exists to serve the filming/editing style portrayed throughout the short run time, and you get what I consider to actually be a pleasant surprise that just might actually be worth paying to see. Don't let the pitfalls of the first film fool you into dismissing this one, because they may have addressed what you didn't like about it and then some.

The one tiny nitpick is this is releasing next week, just a couple of weeks before Searching. Both films are shot in the screencasting style, and I almost think seeing Searching first and Unfriended: Dark Web second is the better order to be most engaged and least exhausted. They aren't exactly comparable films, but Searching is the much better film... and yet somehow Dark Web is still entertaining enough that I actually DO recommend you give it a shot, and it honestly may give hope for more directors to try films of this nature, which really is perfect for this generation of people.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My full review is on IMDb. It is spoiler-free. https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4236420/?ref_=tt_urv

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

A direct sequel to Rogue Nation that pulls the reins on the usage of future technology in favor of kick-ass stunt work by the ageless wonder Tom Cruise himself. The story and characters build up to any action points that sacrifice sleek and stylish blockbuster entertainment for raw and gritty impact moments with a score that punches and lets off in a timely manner.

It settles on more dark and serious tones but is not without throwing in light one-liners and breaking the action for some comedic relief. It is not the most impossible mission of them all, but much like the third film there is enough emotional weight in there to make it mean just as much should the crew fail. Besides, there was really only one places that this film needed to succeed, and it was with Henry Cavill's mustache, which tickled the audience to applause by the time the credits rolled.

Overall, it was a great job by writer/director Christopher McQuarrie, who has rightly earned to steer the ship of this franchise wherever he wants to take it. Just please first try and see Rogue Nation if you get the chance, if not III and Ghost Protocol before that.

Full, spoiler-free review on IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4251141/?ref_=rw_urv

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Disney's Christopher Robin

This film will hold a special place in my heart simply due to the source material, but keeps a family-friendly tone that will appeal to today's youth which may be less exposed than my generation was.

Unlike last year's film Goodbye Christopher Robin, this is a complete work of fiction which literally brings the furry animals to life. I mean it's not even in CR's head; they're like Ted but without the wish upon a star and without the potty mouth. This caught me off-guard and I feel could have been done without that if cleverly thought up, but to have a live-action Pooh Bear express his love for honey is the only thing I need to put a smile on my face.

I cried twice. It's easy to make a grown man cry when there are themes playing exactly on that: being a grown man whilst tapping into your inner childhood that is calling you back to something that you may not be able to stick with forever. This is highly recommended to anyone who has children, to anyone who has a sense of the film's foundation, and especially to anyone who has a soul.

At some point in time though, if you missed out on Goodbye Christopher Robin, please don't pass that one up. Much more adult-themed, but is a nice gem of a "biopic" getting the earlier stages of CR's life growing up with his father A.A. Milne.

Full review on IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4263129/?ref_=tt_urv

gbruin
MEGLADONG

Post by gbruin »

Journey's End

This is a British movie that was made as part of the 100 year anniversary commemoration of The Great War and it follows a British infantry company that begins its 6 day rotation in the front line trenches outside of Amiens France on the Western Front, just ahead of a German offensive that is expected to begin any day.

It is an outstanding movie. The bulk of the movie focuses on a few of the characters in the company, highlighted by Asa Butterfield as a naively optimistic new arrival who sees the war as an adventure and joins the company to reunite with his former school house monitor, the company Captain who blunts the horrors of war with alcoholism. Butterfield's character is contrasted by Paul Bettany who is outstanding in his role as the wise and paternal #2 of the company who is the epitome of the brave and dutiful but realistic British WW1 gentleman soldier. The movie is very deliberate in its plot and pace of life in the trenches, and the excellent development of the soldiers and the tactics of the time serve to magnify the rising tension and dread of the situation, all of which is compounded by the ignorance and near apathy of the higher command and the seeming inevitability of the company's fate. You come to know and understand and like these characters, and even as the movie steadily and inexorably marches toward its fate, you increasingly hope against hope that - maybe the offensive won't come, maybe they will be relocated, maybe they will hold their ground, maybe... - they will somehow get out of this ok.

The movie is moving and tragic and beautiful and heartbreaking. The filming and scenery and music augment a mood which fits perfectly with events we've all read about and have probably imagined to some degree, but which is really unimaginable when you really consider it in its whole.

It was particularly poignant to me. I watched this last weekend on a flight back to the U.S from Paris. About 10 days earlier, I visited some of the Flanders Fields battlefields around Ypres and Paschendaele in Belgium and saw monuments and graveyards inscribed with the names of 10s of thousands of dead, and monuments and graveyards with the names of 10s of thousands who died but were never even found or buried. It's unbelievable what man is capable of - on both ends of the spectrum of good and bad. Journey's End pushes you slowly and steadily to the very bottom end of that spectrum. It is a great and painful and necessary film. Watch it.

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Slender Man

Morose, abhorrent poppycock that decidedly induced the "more is less" tactic as opposed to going "less is more" and banked on a physical presence instead of the lore of the faceless figure to develop mystery and intrigue. Instead, it lacks all of that and a compelling story to carry a tune for any good duration of time.

There are three scenes in the middle of the film that all have excellent buildup, though unfortunately only one of them delivers and executes well (which is a good scene altogether). Before and after that though, you're getting a whole lot of nothing that will make you upset you spent any money on this.

A good SM-related story would be the YouTube series called Marble Hornets. That one still sends unsettling chills down my spine every time he appears in that. On a less exciting note, the documentary Beware the Slenderman was also a good expository look on the Wisconsin stabbing incident influenced by tall Creepypasta phenomenon.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can read my full review here: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4277287/?ref_=tt_urv

MuffinMcFluffin
Hardcore TABN'er

Crazy Rich Asians

An extremely solid romantic comedy entry that treads lightly on both the romance and comedy (there are plenty of laughs to be had, I just never fell out of my chair is all) and instead delivers a story built around culture, respect and trust, taking pages from Meet the Parents and The Devil Wears Prada. It is an absolutely accessible film for all audience members, even if they might have ehem so good of a time that I can't hear some lines because of the overdrawn laughter from others.

Through framing, editing and choice of music, director Jon Chu finds a way of bringing about action in a film that is entirely devoid of it. He really highlights Singapore as a character in the film full of vibrancy and vivacity, and we get to see the crazy-rich snobbishly entertain us as side-characters such as Awkwafina hilariously basks it all in and takes nothing for granted. We envy their possessions even if we may not envy their lifestyle.

Our main protagonist couple is a duo worth rooting for even though they let those around them bring us most of the character and laughs, and there is nice high tension built between our lovely lady Rachel and her boyfriend's mother. There are over a dozen characters which get the limelight with their own romantic subplots so you have a lot to take in, and even though it lets off the gas pedal after the first third of the film it coasts to a nice even pace where values begin to be established. There is something to be learned from both sides of the fence of rich vs. poor, Chinese vs. American, and want vs. need.

2018 in cinema is strong with Asian persuasion in this film and Searching, which both come out within merely weeks of each other. Make sure to check both out when you can!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You can read my full review here: https://www.imdb.com/review/rw4277869/?ref_=tt_urv