Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
AB23
Still Remains

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by AB23 »

I just don't think this is good. At all. If this is your cup of tea, awesome. I hope it's not a "I love anything Myles makes so I love this" feeling and that you actually like this music though, because this is just such a stark departure from what he's always done. Experimenting is fine, but for me personally, this just appears like a huge flop. This music is boring, his voice sounds very whiny (especially in this new one), the music videos are awkward and weird, and there is nothing in any of the songs at all that stand out to me in any way whatsoever.

That's how I feel. Obviously he's gonna have a big group that likes this, but I'm extremely disappointed. I love Myles. He's my favorite musician of all time. But I don't even think this is average. I really think the 3 songs I've heard are so poor to the point where I listened to the songs two times and I'm probably never going to listen to them again.

Fuck. I hope it gets better from here, for Myles' sake.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

^^ It gets better from here for Myles' sake or for your sake? There's a key difference there. I think at the end of the day, from what I've read in interviews it seems like he's pretty proud of what he's done for this album and how he wants to go with the direction of it and wanting to tell this sort of story out and letting that story drive the direction of the music.

I'm glad Myles actually went really different for this and not have that sort of, "Oh, this is going to sound like Mayfield Four-lite, or AB-lite, or Slash-lite." and captures of a different side of the influences that he has. If he wants to explore that further (and quite frankly, that side would not gel too well with either AB or Slash) and release these kinds of songs, who are we to say that this is not the way it should go?

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:Damn, I hate it when they release so many songs before the actual album release. Song sounds cool after the first listen.

Edit, in case you missed the Loudwire interview and Myles performance with TTournier, they are still on facebook as VoDs and hopefully on Youtube soon. I hate the fb-player.
https://www.facebook.com/PasteMusicAndD ... =2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/LoudWire/video ... =2&theater
Good news, guys. Those videos are now up on Youtube.

Btw, the Loudwire interview is good stuff and it's nice to see the Facebook comments are asking stuff like, "Are you going to do a Sound and the Story," and "What about a guitar tab book for Year of the Tiger?" and Myles goes, "That's a great idea, I got to make a mental note of it." I did see some comments that was asking about the Royal Albert Hall DVD, but sadly, that was not addressed in the video. Also, Myles is indeed game for wanting AB to do a tour in Canada with Big Wreck. It needs to be done somehow.

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

Based on who I've spoken to, which frankly is not many people, I'm not the only one who feels the way I do. But then again, I'm also not one to just support someone merely because I like him from his other music. I judge works of art independently, as I have been with this one.

I hope for my sake hat his music on this album improves with the other songs, otherwise I just won't be able to listen to it at all past one single listen. But I hope for his sake it improves as well, because I'm very lenient when it comes to the music Myles writes with Slash and with AB. If these songs have left THIS much disdain with me, then I'm sure others will find it forgettable as well.

I'm a Myles fan. Most of us here are. Because of that, he's got his foot in the door with us in getting us to listen to his album without any promotion at all whatsoever. But I'm also not going to like something just to like something. There is a "grind your gears" thread if that is upsetting to anyone.

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

Frankly I'm also hoping the other tracks on this album will sound better to me. I became a fan for a totally different kind of music. It's OK for sure the man explores other kinds of music, but I will not idolize that style just beceause it is made by Myles. If this was not Myles Kennedy, than I would have already skipped this music when it crossed my path. I will visit his gig in Amsterdam on march 13th anyway, hoping for a Bofest-2 and not too many of this Tiger-stuff. I will also buy a couple of versions/bundles of this album, just to keep my collection up to date, but I would not be surprised if this will proof to be the less played CD off them all over time. This makes me very very very wondering for the first one he dumped with all the cool guest appearances ; that one probably would make me happier than what I'm hearing now. Also thank god there will be new Tremonti coming up soon.

Dolo
Burn It Down

Post by Dolo »

As much as I support Myles in whatever he does, I'm with AB23 on this one and I've also spoken with a few long-time fans of AB/Slash/MF4 and they also seem to be utterly dissapointed. That may just be due to the kind of music Myles has gotten us used to over the years and even though I've broadened my musical horizons over the last few years trying not to just listen to AB related projects, this is just not my cup of tea. Nevertheless, I will check out the full album when it comes out.
Check out my solo project Slight Isolationism:

Facebook
YouTube
Spotify
Bandcamp

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

AB23 wrote:I just don't think this is good. At all. If this is your cup of tea, awesome. I hope it's not a "I love anything Myles makes so I love this" feeling and that you actually like this music though, because this is just such a stark departure from what he's always done. Experimenting is fine, but for me personally, this just appears like a huge flop. This music is boring, his voice sounds very whiny (especially in this new one), the music videos are awkward and weird, and there is nothing in any of the songs at all that stand out to me in any way whatsoever.

That's how I feel. Obviously he's gonna have a big group that likes this, but I'm extremely disappointed. I love Myles. He's my favorite musician of all time. But I don't even think this is average. I really think the 3 songs I've heard are so poor to the point where I listened to the songs two times and I'm probably never going to listen to them again.

Fuck. I hope it gets better from here, for Myles' sake.
After Year of the Tiger somebody asked that question on here. Would you listen to this if it wasn't Myles? At that point I wasn't sure. Probably not. But this song and Haunted? Definitely. I used to play in a blues rock band for a few years, and at the end of it all rockabilly tunes like this were a big part of our set. Loving Myles, and having that background, this just is an instant fit. Also, having that background, and having heard and loved a lot of songs in that genre, I think he pulls it off fantastically.

It sucks that you don't like it. I fully understand why some fans don't like it. I admire Myles though, for taking a stand like this. The guy has made so many different kinds of music in his life. He's always done what he loves.

It kinda annoys me that Myles is targeting the metal community so much, because he's not going to gain new fans there. In Belgium he's playing a metal club in the middle of nowhere, while there are some beautiful little places where this kind of music would be a way better fit, and where he'd reach more people that are into this americana kind of sound. Signing with Napalm Records
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Timotheus wrote:It kinda annoys me that Myles is targeting the metal community so much, because he's not going to gain new fans there. In Belgium he's playing a metal club in the middle of nowhere, while there are some beautiful little places where this kind of music would be a way better fit, and where he'd reach more people that are into this americana kind of sound. Signing with Napalm Records
That's been the confusing thing for me as well. I mean Myles signing with Napalm Records (a more metal record label) make sense given the success that AB has with them, but I was actually surprised that Napalm wanted him to sign with them given the direction that the album was going to go towards. Also, according to magazine articles that Torsen posted, you have publications like Metal Hammer promoting his stuff. I would like to think I get the reasoning. Myles is a well-known name in the modern rock world and his solo stuff being promoted through areas that AB gets promoted in (like Metal Hammer and Loudwire) could probably reel in some intriguing listeners.

That stated, it would be hard to think that this approach in promotion would work to his favor with the type of music he wants to go to. I wouldn't think metal communities would react well to a song like Devil on the Wall (unless they already liked blues/country stuff). That sort of promotion works fine with Tremonti since that's always been perceived as a more heavier band anyway, but for Myles solo? Hard to say.

Myles is playing at the Troubadour in LA and I don't know if it is a suitable venue for the show he is going to bring. It worked fine when he played there with Slash (who obviously has a huge connection with the Troubadour with GNR) and the Conspirators. Compared that to when Chris Cornell did his solo show at the Walt Disney Concert Hall. That looks like a gorgeous theater, and I would think these are the suitable kinds of venues that Myles can play in that would fit great as a solo acoustic act if he can get to that size as a standalone solo act (impossible these days, I know), but it has a capacity of 2,265. AB can't even fill that in the LA area (The Wiltern only holds about 1,600-1,800).

Edit: Ok, I'm actually wrong on that one. Troubador looks to be a suitable place for an acoustic act. According to wikipedia, "It was a major center for folk music in the 1960s, and subsequently for singer-songwriters and rock."

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

It seems to me from reading your comments that some people generally do not like the direction the sound of this record went in. I think this type of sound was his intent - he didn't want to make something like AB or slash. He mentioned several times that he wanted something, I believe, stripped down and something he can take on the road by himself with a single guitar.

That's what this is. It's a stripped down acoustic sound. If it's not your cup of tea that's fine but to say he didn't warn you would be a lie lol.

I like these three songs and look forward to the record.

JGremore
TABN.com Citizen

Post by JGremore »

Not sure if this has been talked about, but has anyone else noticed the voice at the end of "Haunted by Design"? Sounds like someone saying "that double rattle" I have also noticed a similar sound with what seems like a voice in "Ghosts of Days Gone By" at around the 30 sec mark. Anyone else noticed these???

silvertigermedia
Brand New Start

Post by silvertigermedia »

AB4Lyfe wrote:
The planets are in alignment, the masses are ready and the time is just right for Myles Kennedy to release his debut solo album. If that sentence smacks a little facetious, cast that thought to the four winds, because adoring fans the world over have been long suffering in anticipation of this collection. I think even Slash and Mark Tremonti were even getting a little antsy. But that is where any flippant remarks finish, because this is a serious album, tackling serious matters and is, quite frankly, a masterpiece. With the original debut collection shelved for now, one listen and you will understand why Myles has assembled this perfect collection for release in March 2018......."
Can we have this post properly credited to the writers/owners please? Having our intellectual property stolen and claimed for their own writings once already by someone off this forum is enough for us. Thanks in advance...

Silver Tiger Media Team :rockon
http://silvertigermedia.com.au/2018/02/ ... the-tiger/
http://silvertigermedia.com.au/2018/02/ ... s-kennedy/

UninvitedZero
Isolated

Post by UninvitedZero »

Even loving country, folk and blues as well as the metal, it's taken a few listens to grow on me. But all three tracks have. I've been an Alter Bridge fan for a decade and was excited to hear whatever new, softer direction Myles was exploring... But was terribly underwhelmed by the title track... Haunted By Design is a pretty cool tune though! I'm attempting to learn it on the guitar. I'm still hopeful for the rest of the record.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

silvertigermedia wrote:
AB4Lyfe wrote:
The planets are in alignment, the masses are ready and the time is just right for Myles Kennedy to release his debut solo album. If that sentence smacks a little facetious, cast that thought to the four winds, because adoring fans the world over have been long suffering in anticipation of this collection. I think even Slash and Mark Tremonti were even getting a little antsy. But that is where any flippant remarks finish, because this is a serious album, tackling serious matters and is, quite frankly, a masterpiece. With the original debut collection shelved for now, one listen and you will understand why Myles has assembled this perfect collection for release in March 2018......."
Can we have this post properly credited to the writers/owners please? Having our intellectual property stolen and claimed for their own writings once already by someone off this forum is enough for us. Thanks in advance...

The review was already credited in this post.....
DarkKnight12 wrote:http://silvertigermedia.com.au/2018/02/ ... the-tiger/

First album review !

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

The title track, Avalon. Are 2 examples off the top of my head.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

anguyen92 wrote:
silvertigermedia wrote: Can we have this post properly credited to the writers/owners please? Having our intellectual property stolen and claimed for their own writings once already by someone off this forum is enough for us. Thanks in advance...

First album review !
And if silvertigermedia had deigned to read the preceding posts to it, it would've been clear that Duane was posting the text (in quotes!) because their website wasn't working for some users.

Sort out your website before accusing members of this forum of theft in future, thanks in advance.
For all of the hope that it brings...

silvertigermedia
Brand New Start

Ubik wrote:
anguyen92 wrote:
silvertigermedia wrote: Can we have this post properly credited to the writers/owners please? Having our intellectual property stolen and claimed for their own writings once already by someone off this forum is enough for us. Thanks in advance...

First album review !
And if silvertigermedia had deigned to read the preceding posts to it, it would've been clear that Duane was posting the text (in quotes!) because their website wasn't working for some users.

Sort out your website before accusing members of this forum of theft in future, thanks in advance.
Don't need to accuse... I wont name and shame but it was proven that a member from this very forum tried to pass this review off as their own work to AB Management no less, which eventually came back to us. Ab management know who it is and eradicated from the forum, so none of the accusations were to anyone present. :)

I was simply being respectful and asking if the copy and paste version could be credited... Absolutely no issue with the link before that and I do apologies if some couldn't open it. No need for hate. Peace and Rock On!

silvertigermedia
Brand New Start

In saying that I am interested to know what was happening to those who couldn't see the review??? Would love to sort this out as we would like all the interested parties to be able to view.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

"member from this very forum tried to pass this review off as their own work to AB Management no less, "

proof?

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

nagpo wrote:"member from this very forum tried to pass this review off as their own work to AB Management no less, "

proof?
Here you go man.

anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Lost is the proof now, wasted all again

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Andy92 wrote:
nagpo wrote:"member from this very forum tried to pass this review off as their own work to AB Management no less, "

proof?
Here you go man.

:lol Andy