Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Discuss Myles Kennedy, Slash, MF4 etc
AB23
Still Remains

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by AB23 »

Wow. I must say that I have been more excited for this album than any other for about 7-10 years now. But the songs and the other tidbits I have heard about it have been dreadfully disappointing. Haunted by Design was the only one that was average, and I still found it to be quite a boring song.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

If you don't like this and thought Haunted by Design's an average song, you're not gonna like the full album. Maybe a song or two.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

AB23 wrote:Wow. I must say that I have been more excited for this album than any other for about 7-10 years now. But the songs and the other tidbits I have heard about it have been dreadfully disappointing. Haunted by Design was the only one that was average, and I still found it to be quite a boring song.
What kind of music were you expecting?

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Anybody from the Eastern regions of the world who can tell us their thoughts on the new song?

DarkKnight12
White Knuckled

Post by DarkKnight12 »

Yup! I’m from Switzerland and we’ve had the song on Apple Music for 27 Minutes now . I absolutely loves it! It was one of my favorite preview and the full song just confirms it. Very energetic track, I can’t help to smile when I listen to it the first time. This songs just makes me happy it’s so cool! I love the licks and the sound / mix of the track is the best of the 3 imo. Solid track probably my favorite of the 3

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I went and checked my iTunes and it said I hadnt pre-ordered the album yet for some reason. Even the purchase history in my account had no record of it, so I went ahead and bought the album possibly a second time :lol :/

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The first 30 seconds made me think it was going to be the kind of special that his phantom first solo album had become in my mind, almost like something off Fallout. Then it changed tone somewhat.

Though I do also enjoy this song a fair bit, impossible not to tap your foot along and lovely work on the guitar.
For all of the hope that it brings...

AB4Lyfe
Achilles

Post by AB4Lyfe »

Ubik wrote:The first 30 seconds made me think it was going to be the kind of special that his phantom first solo album had become in my mind, almost like something off Fallout. Then it changed tone somewhat.

Though I do also enjoy this song a fair bit, impossible not to tap your foot along and lovely work on the guitar.
I think this is somewhat my view on the material so far. Nothing has really blown me away and I don’t expect it to. I just wanted something solid that I can sing or tap my foot to.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Devil On The Wall starts out strong in the first 30 seconds, but as the song goes on I kinda wish it sounded like it did at the start again :/ The intro and the solo are the highlights for me.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Hmmm, whereas Haunted By Design went somewhat country in the solo, I think Myles went full country with Devil on the Wall. Still, Myles going for a country flair is bound to be better than the majority of the tripe they call country nowadays. Now I don't think he probably look out of place if he opens for something like Zac Brown Band (great, now I'm salivating of the possibilities of that combo. They had magic with Chris Cornell. They can do the same with Myles).

I do agree, the first part of the song was way different than where the song was going to go. I do think it's a fun song to hear, honestly. Probably the most upbeat song he's been a part of since The Dissident with Slash and the Conspirators.

All I can say, whatever expectations and sound you may think Myles will go just because we've been waiting 9 years for him to release a standalone solo album. Don't expect that at all. Then again, it's the solo album. Myles can do whatever the heck he wants and go way left field than what he's done with AB and Slash and I think he's done that so far, but still retain the care and quality of music that we love him for. Those that might like the heavier side of him may not stomach Devil on the Wall though.

I'm still excited for this album though!!!!!!

AB23
Still Remains

Post by AB23 »

WaywardOne wrote:
AB23 wrote:Wow. I must say that I have been more excited for this album than any other for about 7-10 years now. But the songs and the other tidbits I have heard about it have been dreadfully disappointing. Haunted by Design was the only one that was average, and I still found it to be quite a boring song.
Were you expecting borderline country music to come out of this? Or bonfire melodies?

Because I sure wasn't, and I'm fairly certain everyone else wasn't either. I think the general theme around here was that we were going to get the slower, more melodic vocal showcases not too far removed from what a Mayfield Four song sounded like than just something that is downright boring having the same lyrics shoved down your throat every other line of the song.

To be more specific, he says the EXACT same line, using the exact same melody 12 times. He manages to do this without even having a real graspy chorus that even features that line I'm referring to. It's actually quite remarkable.

Hope the rest of the album sounds better.

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

AB23 wrote:
WaywardOne wrote:
Were you expecting borderline country music to come out of this? Or bonfire melodies?

Because I sure wasn't, and I'm fairly certain everyone else wasn't either. I think the general theme around here was that we were going to get the slower, more melodic vocal showcases not too far removed from what a Mayfield Four song sounded like than just something that is downright boring having the same lyrics shoved down your throat every other line of the song.

To be more specific, he says the EXACT same line, using the exact same melody 12 times. He manages to do this without even having a real graspy chorus that even features that line I'm referring to. It's actually quite remarkable.

Hope the rest of the album sounds better.
I wasn't expecting his album to sound like Mayfield four at all, when he originally was talking about doing a solo album he has always said he was going for the singer/song writer approach. To me that tends to be softer more acoustic based than anything. I didn't expect the upbeat/up tempo feeling but it works for me.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

The first album was the one people had ascribed a Mayfield Four quality to, Myles has always said this one was more in the bluesy realm.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Absolutely love the new song. I think this one almost has more of a rockabilly vibe, especially with the walking bass line.

I too was hoping for a more MF4-esque sound and wasn't blown away with Year of the Tiger at first (still think it's a flawed song), but this song is up there with some of the best he's written.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Damn, I hate it when they release so many songs before the actual album release. Song sounds cool after the first listen.

Edit, in case you missed the Loudwire interview and Myles performance with TTournier, they are still on facebook as VoDs and hopefully on Youtube soon. I hate the fb-player.
https://www.facebook.com/PasteMusicAndD ... =2&theater
https://www.facebook.com/LoudWire/video ... =2&theater

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

By the way, the lyrics are as always awesome. I would say one can easily relate to them, even if the topic of premature death is not an aspect of your life.

nagpo
On The Rail

Post by nagpo »

Myles seems like a very nihilistic person imo

Kreuger
White Knuckled

Post by Kreuger »

anguyen92 wrote: I do agree, the first part of the song was way different than where the song was going to go. I do think it's a fun song to hear, honestly. Probably the most upbeat song he's been a part of since The Dissident with Slash and the Conspirators.
You think The Dissident is upbeat? There are more upbeat songs on that album, nevermind this one.

Anyways the song is alright. I didn't dislike it on first listen like YotT (which has grown on me) but I also didn't really enjoy it like Haunted. It's kind of middle for me.

I agree about not expecting this album to have such a country flavour to it. Still excited though.
Scott Stapp:
28th March, 2014 at The Opera House in Toronto

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Kreuger wrote:
anguyen92 wrote: I do agree, the first part of the song was way different than where the song was going to go. I do think it's a fun song to hear, honestly. Probably the most upbeat song he's been a part of since The Dissident with Slash and the Conspirators.
You think The Dissident is upbeat? There are more upbeat songs on that album, nevermind this one.

Anyways the song is alright. I didn't dislike it on first listen like YotT (which has grown on me) but I also didn't really enjoy it like Haunted. It's kind of middle for me.
Examples pls. I thought The Dissident was upbeat based on my interpretation of upbeat which is according to Google, "optimistic, cheerful, cheery, positive, confident, hopeful, sanguine, bullish, buoyant, gung-ho," which I though made sense for The Dissident.