On The Rail

Re: Myles Kennedy - "Year of the Tiger"

Post by nagpo »

this is going to be a kick ass album. Love these two songs

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

Wow, this song has such a nice, soft touch to it. I like it.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Amazing song, I definitely prefer it over the first one. Especially that solo was so neat.

Now I gotta figure out what "haunted by design" means. :D

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Mr. Slash wrote:Amazing song, I definitely prefer it over the first one. Especially that solo was so neat.

Haunted by design could mean a lot of things here, but in the video you can see an actual portrayal of death following this person around, so I'd say the concept of death has haunted Myles around his entire life, based on this thing that happened in his childhood with his father. He was designed as a child to be haunted by this for the rest of his life.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

hamptonfive
Brand New Start

Post by hamptonfive »

Timotheus wrote:
Mr. Slash wrote:Amazing song, I definitely prefer it over the first one. Especially that solo was so neat.

Haunted by design could mean a lot of things here, but in the video you can see an actual portrayal of death following this person around, so I'd say the concept of death has haunted Myles around his entire life, based on this thing that happened in his childhood with his father. He was designed as a child to be haunted by this for the rest of his life.
i thought the same thing.. but also because he mentioned both of his grandmothers passed away because they also wouldn’t see doctors. so the pattern of how important people in his life passed away is similar. i figured that could part of it as well.

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

I think both of those readings are great.

I might just be projecting myself into it but a lot of it screams "anxiety" to me, and when you suffer from that it feels like it's something built in that you can't escape from.
For all of the hope that it brings...

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

hamptonfive wrote:
Timotheus wrote:

i thought the same thing.. but also because he mentioned both of his grandmothers passed away because they also wouldn’t see doctors. so the pattern of how important people in his life passed away is similar. i figured that could part of it as well.
Oh yea.. I'd forgotten about that. That makes it even more haunting.
Ubik wrote:I think both of those readings are great.

I might just be projecting myself into it but a lot of it screams "anxiety" to me, and when you suffer from that it feels like it's something built in that you can't escape from.
Yea, it's really the video and the concept of the album that led me to that conclusion. The "Like the ghost of death arrived and took my love too soon" line is the only line that's outspokenly about death, so it can be interpreted however you want I think. I definitely relate to your interpretation.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Macca
Greg

Post by Macca »

I can't be the only one who thinks both songs we've heard so far have just been a bit...boring. Waited years for Myles to release a solo record and now that it's here the tracks released so far have completely killed any hype I had
AllC392Was wrote:How is Macca funny?

hackingislife
TABN.com Citizen

Post by hackingislife »

Macca wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks both songs we've heard so far have just been a bit...boring. Waited years for Myles to release a solo record and now that it's here the tracks released so far have completely killed any hype I had
There's some incredible stuff in the works. Form what I could tell from the previews when they were still up, there's incredible variety. Personally, I already know I'm gonna love Nothing but a Name. I'm sure everyone will find some song they will fall in love with, because :mkrules

riemslag1
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by riemslag1 »

To soon for any definite conclusion. Still anxious and unpatient to hear the whole album. Pre-ordered quite some versions CD/LP/box. Just hoping he did not kill the wrong album of the two. Still would like the first one to see the light of day too. Maybe one day.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

Macca wrote:I can't be the only one who thinks both songs we've heard so far have just been a bit...boring. Waited years for Myles to release a solo record and now that it's here the tracks released so far have completely killed any hype I had
It helps for me to keep in mind that this isn't the solo album we've been waiting for all these years. This is almost like a different project in my head, which he put together really quickly.

Having heard the previews also helps, I guess, because I know there's a lot of quality material on this album.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

Fish Tacos
Burn It Down

Post by Fish Tacos »

So is it just common practice now to release previews then oopsdidn'tmeanto and take them down again? I feel like this has happened several times now. The two songs I've heard so far have a pretty creative musical feel to them and make you want to bop your knee but I just haven't heard anything yet that makes me want to buy the album.

BSC
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by BSC »

I agree. The songs that have been released and nice, pretty songs, but they simply aren't memorable or exciting. When I listen new songs, I ask myself 'can I go the rest of my life without listening to this song?' and the answer is yes to both of them. From what I've heard so far, this album reminds me of Ian Thornley's last solo album, it's a collection a nice evening-time songs, but ultimately there's nothing memorable on the album.

I can't say I'm particularly disappointed though, I didn't know what to expect with this album, especially as Myles said it would be very different. I would love for the album to have some MF4/Jeff Buckley type stuff but I don't see that happening. I remember when Apocalyptic Love came out, i expected it to be Appetite For Destruction part 2 with Myles on vocals, and was really gutted when I first listened to it. But, this time round I just don't have those expectations.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

Fish Tacos wrote:So is it just common practice now to release previews then oopsdidn'tmeanto and take them down again? I feel like this has happened several times now. The two songs I've heard so far have a pretty creative musical feel to them and make you want to bop your knee but I just haven't heard anything yet that makes me want to buy the album.
It's an easy way to generate some early buzz. Fans feel like they've heard something that was not supposed to be released yet.

welshsteve
Brand New Start

Post by welshsteve »

I've only heard Haunted By Design once so far. But Year Of The Tiger I think is a great song. It's been going round and round in my head off and on since I first heard it.

On a slightly different note, I saw a twitter post included in a Google search for Myles when searching to see if more tickets for his tour had been released, and it stated that pre-orders of the album would receive instant downloads of the 2 songs. Well I pre-ordered from Myles' own website and haven't had these so must be only through a specific site at specific times I guess. Never mind. I can stream them for now until I get the album.

As for the style of music the album appears to have, it's pretty much what I expected given Myles' influences.
Thanks

Steve

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Ubik wrote:I think both of those readings are great.

Yep. I gotta say, now that I digested the lyrics and the song overall, "Haunted By Design" actually feels like the soundtrack of my personal situation right now. Not that I have to deal with death right now, but the anxiety topic is quite fitting.

This album might be by far the most intimate piece of music Myles Kennedy wrote in a long time.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

2 notes on the lyrics:

1 - "Like the ghost of death arrived and took my love too soon" -- thinking this song is from his mom's perspective as well, the way Year of the Tiger is? Maybe the whole album will be from her POV?

2 - "Those who worry suffer twice" - somebody's been listening to Tremonti... :lol
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

TenaciousBe wrote:2 - "Those who worry suffer twice" - somebody's been listening to Tremonti... :lol
This he must concede.

BastiMix
Loyal Follower

Post by BastiMix »

Does anyone know the chords in the chorus? I can't figure them out for the life of it and the ones on Ultimate-Guitar sound strange.
Please give them a like :)