The Random Alter Bridge Thread

News and discussion about Alter Bridge. Get the latest updates here!
One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Re: The Random Alter Bridge Thread

Post by One Drew Remains »

Doubt we'll get a new Projected. The new Sevendust will be next year.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

PascalM
Brand New Start

Post by PascalM »

So... in one of the interviews Tremonti mentioned that they are aiming to release the Royal Albert Hall DVD around Christmas (I assume he meant upcoming Christmas...), but haven't heard anything about that anymore, so that probably won't happen. Anyone has an update about this?

Ubik
Bachelor Daddy

Post by Ubik »

PascalM wrote:So... in one of the interviews Tremonti mentioned that they are aiming to release the Royal Albert Hall DVD around Christmas (I assume he meant upcoming Christmas...), but haven't heard anything about that anymore, so that probably won't happen. Anyone has an update about this?
Yeah that was unfortunately Mark getting ahead of himself, the most recent thing he's said has been springtime next year (same as Year of the Tiger :cloud9)

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/alter- ... shows.html
(props to Tigra for the original find)
For all of the hope that it brings...

Torsten
Loyal Follower

Post by Torsten »

THE GRAMMY WHISPERER LOOKS INTO ROCK

Even though hip-hop has replaced rock as the predominant force in contemporary music, Best Rock Album remains one of the most crowded and competitive categories on the Grammy ballot. A total of 310 albums are entered for Best Rock Album this year—more than in Best Rap Album, Best R&B Album and Best Country Album combined. Only one other "genre album" category has more than 300 entries—Best Jazz Instrumental Album, with 328 entries.

Let's take a look at the highly competitive races for Best Rock Album.

Best Rock Album

The likely nominees

Metallica's Hardwired…to Self-Destruct. The band was nominated in this category for its previous album, Death Magnetic. Metallica teamed with Lady Gaga to perform "Moth into Flame" on the Grammy telecast in February.

Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker. Cohen's final studio album got rave reviews. It has a commanding 92 score at Metacritic.com.

Foo Fighters' Concrete and Gold. The group failed to receive a nomination for its previous studio album, Sonic Highways, but it was nominated for each of its six albums before that. (Four of those albums won.) If the Foos land a seventh nom this year, they'll tie Neil Young for the most noms in the history of the category (which dates to 1994). "Run" was up for Best Rock Video at the VMAs.

Green Day's Revolution Radio. The group wasn't nominated for ¡Uno!, ¡Dos! or ¡Tré!, but American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown, its two albums before that trilogy, both won in this category. "Bang Bang" and "Still Breathing" were #1 alternative songs. "Bang Bang" was up for Best Rock Video at the VMAs.

Harry Styles' Harry Styles. The One Direction alum has yet to be nominated for a Grammy—though that will likely change on Tuesday. This album has a good shot at an Album of the Year nom. "Sign of the Times" is likely to be nominated for either Record or Song of the Year. (I say Record. My fellow Grammy Nerd Lenny Beer says Song). There will likely be some debate about whether the Grammys put this album in the right genre album category. "Sign of the Times" was up for Best Pop Video at the VMAs.

Other strong contenders

Highly Suspect's The Boy Who Died Wolf. The band was nominated in this category for its previous album, Mister Asylum. And this album charted significantly higher.

Brand New's Science Fiction. This album debuted at #1, to the surprise of many. It has an impressive 88 score at Metacritic.com.

Kings of Leon's WALLS. The band's last three studio albums were nominated in this category. "Waste a Moment" was a #1 alternative song.

Dan Auerbach's Waiting on a Song. El Camino and Turn Blue, Auerbach's last two studio albums with The Black Keys, were both nominated in this category. (El Camino won.) This album was just a modest hit, which may hurt its chances.

The Killers' Wonderful Wonderful. The Killers were nominated in this category 13 years ago for Hot Fuss, but their last three studio albums were passed over. Wonderful Wonderful, co-produced by Jacknife Lee, was the band's first #1 album. It could put them back in the running.

The War on Drugs' A Deeper Understanding. This was the band's first top 10 album.

Ryan Adams' Prisoner. Adams' last studio album of original material, Ryan Adams, was nominated in this category.

Queens of the Stone Age's Villains. The band was nominated in this category for its previous album, …Like Clockwork. This album didn't chart quite as high.

Cage the Elephant's Unpeeled. The group won in this category last year with Tell Me I'm Pretty. This live album was just a modest hit.

Linkin Park's One More Light. The band was nominated in this category 16 years ago for its debut album, Hybrid Theory. The death of lead singer Chester Bennington in July will put extra focus on this album.

Blackberry Smoke's Like an Arrow. This was a #1 country album. It's not every day you see a #1 country album vying for a Best Rock Album nom.

Also possible: John Mayer's The Search for Everything, Sting's 57th and 9th, Sheryl Crow's Be Myself, Lindsey Buckingham/Christine McVie's Lindsey Buckingham & Christine McVie, AFI's AFI (The Blood Album), All Time Low's Last Young Renegade, Alter Bridge's The Last Hero, Avenged Sevenfold's The Stage, Bon Jovi's This House Is Not for Sale, Depeche Mode's Spirit, Dropkick Murphys' 11 Short Stories of Pain & Glory, Incubus' 8, Mastodon's Emperor of Sand, Neck Deep's The Peace and the Panic, Rise Against's Wolves, Stone Sour's Hydrograd, 311's Mosaic, Kate Bush's Before the Dawn, Disturbed's Live at Red Rocks, Roger Waters' Is This The Life We Really Want?

Notes: Several key albums that straddle the line between pop and rock are competing for Best Pop Vocal Album rather than Best Rock Album. Among them: Imagine Dragons' Evolve, Paramore's After Laughter, Lorde's Melodrama, Lana Del Rey's Lust for Life and Portugal. The Man's Woodstock. Did the Grammys make the right calls in these borderline cases? You decide.

For the record, the number of entries in this category this year (310) is down from 342 last year.

The 60th Annual Grammy Awards ceremony will be held on January 28, 2018. The nominations will be announced on November 28, 2017.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

I'm not one to really care about bands winning Grammies or watching the Grammy Award ceremony in general, and I know it is utterly impossible for AB to be a top contender to win a Grammy for best rock album, but they got to outlast 300 entries to get a shot? Who knows. Maybe the people that pick the contenders this year has a change of heart and think AB has a shot. Not very likely, but it would be pretty cool if it happens honestly for The Last Hero to get nominated.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I don't think there's any way AB gets the nomination for this album, but it's the Grammys, so who the hell knows? As much as I begrudgingly enjoyed Harry Styles' record, there's no way it belongs in the Rock category though.
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

Aren't the Grammy Awards just a huge circlejerk for the big and popular names in music industry? I mean, the Green Day record for example was pretty bland (as every Green Day record since American Idiot).

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Megadeth finally won one last year. I was in absolute shock.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Mr. Slash wrote:Aren't the Grammy Awards just a huge circlejerk for the big and popular names in music industry? I mean, the Green Day record for example was pretty bland (as every Green Day record since American Idiot).
Oh yeah, no question about it. It's a big circlejerk indeed.

Edit: All right, just looked at the nominations, they didn't make it. Whatever.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

So after going over listening to Blackbird in its entirety (including the bonus tracks) in honor of its 10 year anniversary. I'm thinking going into 2018, what anniversaries do they have? Going into that it's been 5 years since Fortress and 10 years since Live From Amsterdam. Where does the time go? Seems like yesterday when I was heading out to Best Buy to buy the album, on that Tuesday Fortress came out, and I was really doing my best to avoid hearing one single note from it.

Even though, it will be AB's year off, there's still plenty to look forward to in 2018. Myles' solo album. Tremonti's next album. If there's a release date announced, the Royal Albert Hall DVD. Pretty exciting stuff before 2019 and in 2019, that's where the band will be entering its 15th year as a band and ODR's 15th Anniversary and AB VI probably coming out.

That's pretty scary to think about that all of those is pretty closer than we thought.

WaywardOne
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by WaywardOne »

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _sing.html

Not exactly news that they never played WDTTW for so long because of how difficult the vocals are, but did anyone else know that the title came from Game of Thrones??? I'm one of those rare people that doesn't watch/read it, so I had no idea.

Jaded Rescue
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jaded Rescue »

WaywardOne wrote:https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge ... _sing.html

Not exactly news that they never played WDTTW for so long because of how difficult the vocals are, but did anyone else know that the title came from Game of Thrones??? I'm one of those rare people that doesn't watch/read it, so I had no idea.
I don't watch or read it but I remember hearing this long ago, before the show ever aired. Mark had mentioned it in some interviews I believe.

TenaciousBe
On The Rail

Post by TenaciousBe »

I don't know what's so difficult about that song live, aside from that big long note at the end that nobody would hate him if he shortened up to play live. It's an incredible song and would be awesome to hear live more often!
Join us on the Alter Bridge subreddit!
Sponsored by Moonrise Blue.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

The thing is, for most people, that high note is always going to be the highlight of the song (the one that makes the song as great as it is) and people would think, "Why bother playing the song live if Myles can't hit that high note like in the studio version live?" I don't feel that way and I do wish they would play it live more often, and they can make the adjustments they want to accommodate Myles and still make it a great live song, but there are people that feel like that note makes the song and without it, the song is nothing.

Then again, there are certain parts and moments in AB songs where they decided to not take replicate the part live and people does not seem bothered by it (sometimes).

austinjhnsn
Slip To The Void

Post by austinjhnsn »

Hmm he did it two nights in a row and it was better the second night... calling your bluff Myles!
Thanks Timo!

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

austinjhnsn wrote:Hmm he did it two nights in a row and it was better the second night... calling your bluff Myles!
He also had like a month off before those two nights

Silvercreed
TABN.com Citizen

Post by Silvercreed »

I agree with anguyen92.
The high note is important, it gives something special to the song. But the song itself is very good. I love the main chords. (goosebumps)
I really don't mind if Myles would want to change anything just to accommodate his voice. I just want him to maintain his good voice.
Hope they play the song more often on the next tour.

Actually, i always thought that the final notes of Find The Real was harder than Words. I guess i was wrong. And yet, they played it often till Fortress tour. Probably one of the hardest to sing.

Timotheus
Little Belgian Waffle

Post by Timotheus »

The way he does it now is less straining for his throat I think. In the studio version he slides towards that high note, which is harder to do.
anguyen92 wrote:
Oh well. Deal with it.

anguyen92
Expert Comma Negotiator

Post by anguyen92 »

Jhenrid wrote:
austinjhnsn wrote:Hmm he did it two nights in a row and it was better the second night... calling your bluff Myles!
Not necessarily true. They only had 10 days of break from their last show (Rock in Rio) to Royal Albert Hall and Myles was actually sick during their Rock in Rio set (I honestly would not think he was sick during the set until he mentioned it and until I wondered why he wanted the crowd to sing along, moreso than I would think).

Jhenrid
Hardcore TABN'er

Post by Jhenrid »

anguyen92 wrote:
Jhenrid wrote:
Not necessarily true. They only had 10 days of break from their last show (Rock in Rio) to Royal Albert Hall and Myles was actually sick during their Rock in Rio set (I honestly would not think he was sick during the set until he mentioned it and until I wondered why he wanted the crowd to sing along, moreso than I would think).
The month must have been between the Europe and US tour than.