Official TRIVIUM Thread

Discuss any band that's not called Alter Bridge.
fix
Hardcore TABN'er

Re: Official TRIVIUM Thread

Post by fix »

I agree with Timo, I like Trivium at their most extreme I guess (Shogun).
Love the chorus of Thrown into the Fire, and thought the Revanchist had a few real Alter Bridgey riffs haha.

AHart96
Rise Today

Post by AHart96 »

The more I listen to this album, the more enjoyment I get out of it. Not generally a fan of aggressive/screaming/growling vocals, but it is done very well here. The instrumentation is excellent and interesting throughout the whole album. If I had to pick a favorite, it’s probably The Revanchist. Definitely the most similar to an AB “epic”-like style, just a bit more aggressive. Do yourself a favor and listen to this album
Rock Never Dies

Thanks for the sig Don Harry!

Mr. Slash
On The Rail

Post by Mr. Slash »

AHart96 wrote:The more I listen to this album, the more enjoyment I get out of it. Not generally a fan of aggressive/screaming/growling vocals, but it is done very well here. The instrumentation is excellent and interesting throughout the whole album.
Yea, i have to admit that i actually like the album as a whole. Even though i did not quite enjoy the first listen for some reason.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I think there are a couple weaker songs towards the middle of the album, but overall I really enjoy it. The last 4 songs starting with Sever The Hand are awesome to listen to in a row. Their best album since In Waves.
anguyen92 wrote:Oh well. Deal with it.

One Drew Remains
Slip To The Void

Post by One Drew Remains »

Still need to hear the whole thing. But being a fan of their more melodic stuff, I love Other Worlds.
Altered:
9/17/11, 5/02/14, 10/16/14, 10/08/16, 1/28/17, 5/13/17, 12/08/17, 10/14/19, 8/17/23

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

New record came out today! Thought I'd bump this thread in celebration. Personally, I was never a fan of Trivium. I only ever decided to give a few songs from The Sin And The Sentence a try. I liked The Heart From Your Hate a fair bit. And checked out the rest of the record. I cant deny that they are all a talented bunch of dudes, I love the instrumental aspect of their sound, some amazing riffage and drumming and you can actually hear the bass :lol and Matts vocals arent the worst, I dont mind his singing unless there's harsh vocals. But that being said I'm trying to accept that part of the music cause I dont want that interfere with my love for the rest of the bands sound :/

This new record has a lot of bangers in it. Great riffage, great drumming, nice bass tone, and I think Matts vocals are definitely better than they were on TS&TS. So far IX, WTDMS, Catastrophist, and SUY my faves.

1. What The Dead Men Say
2. Catastrophist
3. Sickness Unto You
4. IX
5. Amongst The Shadows & The Stones
6. Bending The Arc To Fear
7. Bleed Into Me
8. The Defiant
9. The Ones We Leave Behind
10. Scattering The Ashes

peapod0609
Bought The CDs

Post by peapod0609 »

Thought this thread deserved a bump. Their last 2 albums were a bit of a return to form for me after Vengeance Falls and Silence In The Snow. The Sin and the Sentence and What the Dead Men Say are both solid albums.

They released a new song called "In The Court of the Dragon" last month and another new song/album announcement appears to be on the horizon tomorrow. For me, ITCOTD is easily one of their best songs released post-Shogun. Not only is it a real banger start to finish, but there is a lot of Shogun influence here, IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M-GZDJ-4ZY

Looks like a song called "Feast of Fire" is releasing tomorrow, the snippet sounds cool so far:

https://twitter.com/TriviumOfficial?ref ... de%3Dfalse

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I like that intro/outro riff, production, and instrumentals, but TBH the lyrics have mostly never meant anything to me when it comes to Trivium so its more about the vocal melodies in that department, I guess :/ Overall less impressed with this song than ITCOTD.

‘In The Court Of The Dragon’ October 8th 2021

"X"
"In The Court Of The Dragon"
"Like A Sword Over Damocles"
"Feast Of Fire"
"A Crisis Of Revelation"
"The Shadow Of The Abattoir"
"No Way Back Just Through"
"Fall Into Your Hands"
"From Dawn To Decadence"
"The Phalanx"

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

Anyone listened to the full album yet? It came out last week and I’m just now getting a chance to listen to it.

First impression is that if you’re into the thrash metal and metalcore side of the band, you’ll really like this one. It stays pretty heavy overall, and there’s plenty of good riffs and guitar solos throughout. I also enjoyed the additions of orchestral arrangements that accent sections in certain songs. Matt has a pretty good balance of growls vs. clean vocals on it. I like his more melodic sound overall, but part of what makes Trivium so good is also his screams when done well.

Lyrically the album seems very fantasy literature inspired (song titles like The Shadow Of The Abattoir make that pretty obvious). From what I looked up it seems to be inspired by the band’s original writing rather than specific works of literature which is cool.

Overall I think this album sounds like the band at the top of their game. If you prefer the Trivium sound of a few years ago with mostly clean vocals that was largely melody driven, you may not prefer the screaming vocals on this one. But in my opinion as a top to bottom album…it might be the closest thing to Shogun they’ve ever released, which is pretty crazy to think about 13 years later. One of the best pure metal albums I’ve heard in a while.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

I like Trivium, and the previous two albums made a big impression on me, even though it took a while for the 2020 one.
This new one hasn't grabbed my interest so far, and the songs sounds very uninspired to me. For instance, The Phalanx was a song that didn't make the cut in 2008, and I totally hear why.
Also, the new drummer should stop overplaying so much. I know he's talented, but sometimes, less is more.

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

The last couple albums both had some catchy singles like The Heart from Your Hate and What The Dead Men Say, whereas that kind of track is kind of missing from this album. But as a whole I really enjoyed its overall feel.

I could tell something about The Phalanx had a different vibe from the rest of the songs so that makes sense if it was from the Shogun sessions. When I first heard the song I thought the guitar work had a big Metallica vibe, and I remember back in the Shogun era they started to transition out of the early 2000s metalcore sound into more of a classic metal/thrash inspired sound.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

The Phalanx' was like an old muscle car sitting in the driveway with no engine.

It was a demo from [2008's] 'Shogun' that had the middle section removed for another song ['Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis'], demoed again on [2015's] 'Silence in the Snow' but ultimately scrapped, and now it has found its home on the new album.

Once we knew the album was going in a more epic, proggy direction, I immediately thought of the song and pitched the idea to the others.

With a few minor changes to some chorus parts, a brand middle section, and the orchestrations from Ihsahn, 'The Phalanx' was reborn. It's got a lot of new and old riffs and I think you should dig this if you liked Shogun.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/up ... hogun.html

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

That’s a cool snippet, thanks for sharing that one. I knew that riff sounded unique compared to the rest of the album but couldn’t figure out why. :lol

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

As of today, the album is slowly starting to click with me.
I'm still unimpressed compared to their previous releases, but who knows, I might have a totally different opinion in a week or two.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Out of all the records I've listened to this year, this is probably my second favourite record so far. Right behind Marching In Time. I was never a fan of Trivium up until What The Dead Men Say, and this record is an improvement, IMO. I can't compare it to the likes of Shogun or In Waves or any of their earlier work because I never give those records any attention, but there isn't a single thing I dislike about this record.

chtimixeur
On The Rail

Post by chtimixeur »

For me, Trivium is a band with great musicians. I like how focused on their art they are, and all their albums sound really tight.
It usually takes me a bit of time to fully appreciate each new release, but for whatever reason, I feel like their music has no lasting power. I rarely go back to their albums, even the ones I once really liked.

I had high hopes for them 15 years ago. Basically, I thought they were the future of metal, and hoped they would release the metal album of a decade, or even of a generation. It hasn't happened yet, but I still believe in them.

I also think they should take more times between albums (3 years for instance). They've released 10 ones since 2003, which might be too much for any of them to make a real impact.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Been checking out their discography over the last couple days, I still have a few albums to check out, but I'm really loving the 3 records I listened to most recently. (Shogun, TSATS, SITS) And I really dont understand all the hate that SITS gets just for having almost no harsh vocals, I really loved the use of cleans and it makes the record stand out more in the discog because of it. Instrumentally its just as good as the rest of their albums, too. So far this is my tier list;

S Tier
In The Court of The Dragon
Shogun

A Tier
The Sin And The Sentence
Silence In The Snow

B Tier
What The Dead Men Say

Andy92
You Waste Your Time

Post by Andy92 »

I would put Ascendancy in the S tier too. You have to enjoy 2000s metalcore to get into it but it’s still a really enjoyable album. Agree with Shogun and In The Court of the Dragon being their other two best.

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

I tried to like Ascendancy and the vocals just dont vibe with me on that record. But the instrumentation is all great :/ Full disclosure I haven't heard Ember To Inferno in full but since it is an album with their earlier vocal sound as well so I know it's just not for me either :/

Current Top 10 Songs (In no particular order except Shogun)
1. Shogun
2. The Shadow of The Abattoir
3. The Revanchist
4. Fall Into Your Hands
5. The Phalanx
6. The Crusade
7. Kirisute Gomen
8. Torn Between Scylla and Charybdis
9. Until The World Goes Cold
10. Thrown Into The Fire

SHEAKENBAKEN
BACON

Post by SHEAKENBAKEN »

Been listening to tons of Trivium for the last 4 months and Ascendancy has grown on me a lot since 2021 but The Crusade and Ember To Inferno are still records I can't seem to get into just yet. But Trivium has become one of my favourite guitar duo bands for the albums that I do listen to :lol .

It sucks that they most likely wont have a new album out until 2025 or 2026 :/ , but I guess getting 2 albums back to back in 2020/2021 was a treat for Trivium fans.

Album Rankings/Top 3 Per Album
1. In The Court of The Dragon (The Shadow of The Abattoir, In The Court of The Dragon, A Crisis of Revelation)
2. The Sin And The Sentence (Thrown Into The Fire, Sever The Hand, The Sin & The Sentence)
3. What The Dead Men Say (Sickness Unto You, What The Dead Men Say, Amongst The Shadows & The Stones)
4. Shogun (Shogun, Kirisute Gomen, Torn Between Scylla & Charybdis)
5. Silence In The Snow (Beneath The Sun, Silence In The Snow, The Ghost That's Haunting You)
6. Ascendancy (Like Light To The Flies, Declaration, Departure)
7. Vengeance Falls (Through Blood & Dirt & Bone, No Hope For The Human Race, Strife)
8. In Waves (In Waves, Black, A Skyline's Severance)
9. The Crusade (Becoming The Dragon, The Crusade, And Sadness Will Sear)
10. Ember To Inferno (still no top 3)